Biggers breasts anyone??

I have been exercising with Cathe for over a year and always come to the forums and read all the latest. I really felt the need to respond to this topic.
I feel that if a person wants to have surgery to make themselves feel better, let them. It make them no better or no worse than anyone else. Just because a person wants breast surgery doesn't mean she has low self-esteem it might mean she loves her body and would think that she would look smokin' with a bigger chest.
I'm 22 years old and have had one child. Before I had my baby I had a nice B cup. I was happy with that. After nursing him I can't fit into any of my prepregnancy bras because they are all too big. My breasts are deflated and look like a fat roll instead of breasts.
I know I would love to fill out my bras again. My husband and I have discussed all the issues related to having an invasive surgery. (I was the one that brought this topic up between us, not him.) I plan on having the surgery and having and enjoying my beautiful breasts.

So well put Nancy.

I guess to me it's sad to see physical appearance being people's #1 motivation in life. Looks are fleeting even if we go under the knife, in time we sag, wrinkle and age or get the artificial cat eye stretched look.

Perhaps at one point looks were foremost for me too, but having been through so much and major health issues, everything has changed. What's important is not the size of your boobs, but being a good person. I strive to be healthy, to be a good Mom and friend, to continually grow. Life lived superficially is so much less rewarding.

This thread is interesting and amazingly we have done it without personal attacks! That's great given how many of these have gone in the past.

This is a very interesting and thought provoking thread. Having said that, I am an A gal and damn happy to be one.

I try not to judge people by their boob status. I must admit that none of my friends have implants. I knew once a woman who got implants and she was so excited and happy that I couldn't help but be happy for her.

What irks me a bit is the mention of men in relation to boob size. It saddens me to think that women get implants to attract men. Yikes! Do women really want the guy who wouldn't look twice at a triple A but who comes around for a C cup?!?!

Some women here mention they want them or got them because of deformity or after having children and flattening. I cannot find fault with that at all. I also don't expect those to be the women who think they are ahead of the rest of the smaller boobed crowd because they laid down some $$$$ and had surgery.

For myself, I can say this: I am the real deal. I have worked hard for the body that I have and I can take 100% credit for it. When people see me there is no question as to whether I work out or not. I have the muscles and endurance that make it obvious that I am an athlete. This is what makes me a happy camper, but it obviously doesn't work for everyone. I hope not to be judged by that either.

Hi Tina!

I only read a few posts in this thread and I am not interested in getting involved in the debate that is going on here. What I am going to say is my personal opinnion from MY experience and is not up for debate. I will not respond to anyone who wishes to put me down for it. Now that I got THAT out of the way...:)

I just want to say that I have breast implants and I am very happy with my decision. It did not change who I am inside but it certainly improved my confidence level dramatically! I was a 30 year old adult woman when I decided to have this procedure done. I researched it for months and went on consultations with dr's until I was comfortable and finally made the decision that this surgery was for me. Yes, it comes with risks but yes, you could also walk out of your house tomorrow and get hit by a bus or what have you. It might sound corny but it is very true! I am NOT telling you to run out and get implants by any means! I am just telling you not to feel embarrassed or ashamed if the thought has crossed your mind! There is NOTHING wrong with it!!! If your friends disapprove and "drop you" if you get it done then they were not real friends to begin with. If someone new won't be your friend because of it then they are not worth having as a friend either.

If you can find a way to be comfortable with "what God gave you" then kuddos to you girl and that's great! You should NOT be ASHAMED of the way you are built but by the same token one has to feel comfortable in thier own skin and if you can just can't find a way to do that then just MAYBE this procedure is for you....

Just my 2 cents.:)

Wendy

Nancy, Your post was very well put. I understand exactly what you are saying about "life choices". I also do not agree with the choice of breast augmentation. It's not so much that I don't approve of their choice, it's more that I do not understand. It is completely and totally beyond me why someone would choose unnecessary, invasive, possibly life threatening surgery to implant something in their body that could possibly cause harm. It's simply a matter of not understanding for me. I don't judge, and I don't disapprove.

Having said that, I have not been in the shoes of those that are "flat" or "hanging". I am an A, but mine are perky and nicely shaped. If they were not, maybe I would feel differently. I still doubt, however, that I would risk my life to change them.

My own dear sister has breast implants. She is built completely different than myself, and is short with a pear shape. She went from about my size to a "B". She looks great, but I worry about her a lot. I love her so much, and it would tear my life apart were something to happen to her. That's why it dismays me that she has the implants.

On the issue of men looking. Men look all the time, and I dare say my A cups are not stopping those looks. I say this because those of you with larger breasts say that you don't appreciate the way men look at you. I'm tellin' ya... having small breasts doesn't stop that! :eek:

>Robin-
>I've been thinking about why I'm so opinionated on this topic,
>and I think I can sum it up as follows:
>
>It pains me to see women thinking that their looks are their
>most important characteristic. It pains me to see women
>ruining their feet trying to balance on high heels and growing
>their nails so long that they can't do anything with their
>hands. It pains me to see women who think that landing the
>right man is the most important goal in life. Undergoing
>major surgery just to conform to a Barbie Doll standard to me
>is the epitomy of these things.
>
>I like to see women being strong and independent and capable.
>I like to see women who depend upon their brains and their
>personalities more than their looks to get by in life. I like
>to see women being self-directed instead of being
>other-directed. I like to see women who value themselves
>instead of find fault with themselves.
>
>I'm not sure how to sum this up, so I'll just say this: I like
>to see women like the woman in allwildgirl's DD's portrait of
>the "workout woman" on allwildgirl's picturetrail. Strong and
>proud. Sophie is just a little girl, but I think she's got it
>right compared to a lot of the grown women out there.
>

Nancy,
This is really absolutely beautiful and very well stated, but what pains me is when we judge people by how they look or choose to look and we make decisions about friendships or skills as fitness instructors based on real boobs or fake boobs (or whatever other plastic surgery a person may have had)......that is where I am coming from. It just reeks of intolerance and personal bias.

I'll let this topic rest, I said my piece. As I said before, I've decided against the butt implants even though I think they will really protect me during Xmax 3 when I fall on my a$$. I really didn't want to change my name to "Bertha Big Butt" anyway, because I would have to redo all the monogramming on the sheets and towels.

You are so right, wouldn't it be .."wonderful to see women who value themselves instead of find fault with themselves." We really all are guilty of finding fault with ourselves to some degree, we just have to learn how to replace the negative thoughts of ourselves with constructive positive ones. As my DH says, there is absolutely nothing sexier or more beautiful than a confident women who values herself :). I agree, and if she needs fake boobs or fake cheeks to feel that way.......so be it and.. who am I to judge...

Robin:)

I'm going to jump into the water with Wendy.

I have had a breast reduction. I paid for it. My insurance company said that they weren't big enough. It was mostly for sagging. They weren't causing me any physical pain, but they did take a bite out of my self esteem every day I had them. When I stood in front of the mirror after I had them done, I said so my doc, "Now I understand implants." She laughed and said, "Somehow I knew you'd say that." My doc made a point to tell me that she does not do "stripper boobs" and is very conservative with implants.

Do I understand huge, ungainly Pamela Andersen implants - no. I'm not talking about those. I'm talking about the A and B girls. Having been on the opposite end of the world for so long I had the same complaints those girls had - my clothes don't fit right, I don't feel confident wearing an elegant or sexy dress, I know my boyfriend/husband is innundated with lovely women, and on and on....but are my reasons for getting a reduction any different than someone who gets implants? Remember, I had no medical issues with them, just cosmetic. Yet reduction surgery isn't given this semi-stigma that implant surgery has. My surgery was way more invasive, the healing time was longer and I risked losing my nipples and ending up with tatoos for nipples.

And what did I get out of it - a whole new life that is better for my DDs (that's daughters!), my husband and most importantly for me. For the first time I took control of something that meant a lot to me and for some women getting implants is the first step in this process. For some women the outward change provokes the inward change. For me, it was the first step in taking a stand that is still continuing to take place. Unfortunately you can't tell what is going on there inside a woman when she gets it done and there are a lot of girls with overly inflated implants prancing around who may give people the idea that what's going on inside is not a whole heck of a lot. Too bad you can't tell them apart, but I like to give women who do it the benefit of the doubt. Some days I look at how fast the world is and what the expectations of women are - to excel at work, excel at home, excel while traveling between work and home, be a fabulous mom/friend/lover/shopper/dresser/decorator/cook....whaever. If taking a known medical risk gets my body someplace that my mind is trying to go, I'm taking it.

As another poster put so well, "Until you've walked a mile in her AAA's....." I do appreciate the spirit and respectful debate of this thread, so I know throwing this opinion out is safe. I have walked a mile in the DDD's and I know that because the world is somewhat boobs, boobs, boobs and body, body, body (and oh, how I wish it wasn't), and they are right out front on your body, if you are not happy in that area it really does carry over into your overall mental health.

Melissa

Melissa

Keep your head in line. Your butt will follow.

http://www.picturetrail.com/pellmel

"As I said before, I've decided against the butt implants even though I think they will really protect me during Xmax 3 when I fall on my a$$. I really didn't want to change my name to "Bertha Big Butt" anyway, because I would have to redo all the monogramming on the sheets and towels."

Robin-
You are so funny. ROFL!!!!!! :7 :7 :7 :7 :7
-Nancy

Interesting thread...

I've dealt with the size acceptance issue but from a different viewpoint. I've been a D cup since I was 14. My cup size does not change if I lose or gain weight. Honestly being this size is a pain. High impact requires 2 bras or one of those super duper ugly Enell type bras. I can rarely wear button up shirts or dresses because they gap in the chest. Camisole type tops are out even with the built in bras. I wear them around the house but they are not supportive enough to wear in public and do not provide enough coverage so that I get the highbeam look. Cute little tops are out. Bra shopping is difficult and expensive. It's hard to find a comfortable yet supportive bra. If I could choose I would be smaller. However, I'm not willing to risk major surgery to get a reduction. There are always risks when you undergo general anethesia. Also, my mom died from breast cancer and I would be concerned that any surgery might make it more difficult for breast cancer to be diagnosed. If I get it, I want them to find it as early as possible. So for me the risks outweigh the benefit. Since that is the only way I could be smaller, I choose to accept what I have.

Christina, I totally understand. My chest made me look a bit dowdy and matronly when I was young, and I could only wear loose clothes because "fitted" clothes didn't fit me. The loose clothes made me look heavy and unattractive. And finding a blazer or suit jacket that fits well has always been a challenge. But you and I are lucky that we're not even bigger. A lot of women are, and I don't know how they find clothes. Have you tried Wacoal bras? I just adore them.

-Nancy

I just want to say that this thread has been very enlightening. I hope we didn't get too far away from your original question, Tina, but I think that a lot of very intelligent, interesting and heart-felt opinions have been expressed. I for one really enjoyed the opportunity to hear what others have to say on this topic, and I must admit that the expressed opinions have influenced me. I really think that I'm coming away from this topic with a more open mind and a better understanding of what other women experience in their lives. So, Tina, if you're still out there, thanks so much for posting! :)
-Nancy

This thread is fascinating, actually. Thanks, too, Tina--sorry if it got hijacked away from your original question. Ultimately, you have to do what makes you comfortable and happiest. Other people's opinions don't matter.

Nancy and Christina: I went through the same type of experiences when I was growing up. Bra shopping now *is* annoying--but I found a really decent style that the Gap makes, believe it or not. Will have to try the Wacoals, too.

Just noticed - please note I AM NEW HERE - that I didn't "reply" but made a new post. So I am placing the new post in the "reply". How awkward I feel. Sorry.

I am new to Cathe forums - this is my first post and may be my last as to how I am "received". Re this "breast implant" issue, many of you are posting judgments not "opinions". Or perhaps none of you who "do not understand" or "would never have invasive procedures" on your "God given bodies" have NEVER used lotions on your body, moisturizers and anti-aging products on your faces, eye-shadow, blush, lipstick, lip gloss, base makeup, eyeliner, face powder, self-tanning products, nail polish, nail polish remover, bubble bath, soaps, perfumes, toothpaste, mouthwash, teeth whitening products, etc....(list can go on)...on your bodies - and let's not even talk about what you may have eaten and put into your mouths over the years! And how about some of those questionable supplements? Anything that you place upon your skin or into your body is invasive (it is absorbed into your system), and let's face it - most of the items I have listed are much more toxic than the saline implants used in breast augmentation in sterile surgical environments. Think about it - those toxic products are used day after day and have a cumulative toxic effective. And I haven't even scratched the surface of what we use to "invade" our bodies. Lastly, no one can ever truly "walk a mile" in anyone's shoes. Every situation is unique and we are not here to judge. Thanks for listening/reading - I am not always so (I'm not sure what I have been). I am a fun-loving, healthy, active mother of 4 boys who was an aerobics/fitness instructor in a previous life BFB (before boys).

All that said I LOVE CATHE WORKOUTS! The results are awesome. I am a "normal" person and hope to remain "in the loop".

Melody

>Just noticed - please note I AM NEW HERE - that I didn't
>"reply" but made a new post. So I am placing the new post in
>the "reply". How awkward I feel. Sorry.
>
> I am new to Cathe forums - this is my first post
>and may be my last as to how I am "received". Re this "breast
>implant" issue, many of you are posting judgments not
>"opinions". Or perhaps none of you who "do not understand" or
>"would never have invasive procedures" on your "God given
>bodies" have NEVER used lotions on your body, moisturizers and
>anti-aging products on your faces, eye-shadow, blush,
>lipstick, lip gloss, base makeup, eyeliner, face powder,
>self-tanning products, nail polish, nail polish remover,
>bubble bath, soaps, perfumes, toothpaste, mouthwash, teeth
>whitening products, etc....(list can go on)...on your bodies -
>and let's not even talk about what you may have eaten and put
>into your mouths over the years! And how about some of those
>questionable supplements? Anything that you place upon your
>skin or into your body is invasive (it is absorbed into your
>system), and let's face it - most of the items I have listed
>are much more toxic than the saline implants used in breast
>augmentation in sterile surgical environments. Think about it
>- those toxic products are used day after day and have a
>cumulative toxic effective. And I haven't even scratched the
>surface of what we use to "invade" our bodies. Lastly, no one
>can ever truly "walk a mile" in anyone's shoes. Every
>situation is unique and we are not here to judge. Thanks for
>listening/reading - I am not always so (I'm not sure what I
>have been). I am a fun-loving, healthy, active mother of 4
>boys who was an aerobics/fitness instructor in a previous life
>BFB (before boys).
>
>All that said I LOVE CATHE WORKOUTS! The results are awesome.
>I am a "normal" person and hope to remain "in the loop".
>
>
>
>Melody
>
>
>

hi Melody!

Welcome to the board :)

I have no really stong opinion on this one way or another. I just want to say that while I agree we all do a certain amount of "invasive" things to our bodies, there is a huge difference between rubbing some lotion on your elbows and undergoing major surgery. While the end goal may be the same - "look better" - the paths aren't even close to being the same thing. One is maintenance, the other, construction.

And, let's not forget that breasts are viewed differently from (most) of our other body parts. Eyebrows are not political. Breasts are. I can pluck my eyebrows to look better and have it mean no more than that. Breast enlargement, however, carries with it all sorts of social/sexual notions on conformity, motherhood, female sexuality, female power, blah blah blah. I'm stopping before I sound too much like a sociology professor, but you get my drift. Breasts are not just breasts in our culture, for right or wrong.

Personally, if I were toying with cosmetically enhancing my breasts, the question I would ask myself would not be, "should I or shouldn't I?" but, "Why does it matter?"

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

"Personally, if I were toying with cosmetically enhancing my
breasts, the question I would ask myself would not be, "should I or shouldn't I?" but, "Why does it matter?""

Well said, Sparrow.

My sister lost both breasts to cancer two years ago. Those times when I haven't been happy with my breast size or shape or perkiness, I immediately think of her, and how shallow I would feel if I got a breast augmentation for the sake of my appearance.

>And, let's not forget that breasts are viewed differently from
>(most) of our other body parts. Eyebrows are not political.
>Breasts are.

Sorry, I don't agree....I just don't see where breasts are political...although I do know a lot of politicians who are boobs. Breasts are personal and should be viewed as such.

Melody's heart-felt statement only really speaks of acceptance, but I guess the post is not really being "read" for what it says.

My thoughts,
Robin

> Re this "breast
>implant" issue, many of you are posting judgments
> not "opinions".

I disagree. I think this has been a well thought out and non judgemental discussion. Everyone has been polite and well mannered. Nobody has judged, and everyone has offered their rightful opinions. That's what a discussion message board is for.

<Or perhaps none of you who "do not understand"
>or "would never have invasive procedures" on your
>"God given bodies" have NEVER used lotions on your body,
>moisturizers and anti-aging products on your faces, eye-shadow,
>blush, lipstick, lip gloss, base makeup, ............... Think about
>it - those toxic products are used day after day and have a
>cumulative toxic effective. And I haven't even scratched the
>surface of what we use to "invade" our bodies.

As mentioned already, major surgery hardly compares with putting lotion and make up on your body. It's just not the same thing, and the comparison does not hold up. When I say that I fear invasive surgery, I am talking about an operation ... the surgeon puts you under anethesia, cuts you open, implants a foreign object in your body, and then sutures your skin back together. You are at risk for infection, complications from the immediate surgery & anesthesia and then later rejection of the implants from your body as a foreign object. That is the difference. Personally, I just don't understand why someone would voluntarily undergo such a procedure.

>Lastly, no one
>can ever truly "walk a mile" in anyone's shoes. Every
>situation is unique and we are not here to judge.

I believe this has been said numerous times already! None of us here are trying to judge, and we certainly haven't. We are having a discussion about the subject of breast size and implants. :)

Welcome to the board, and I am sorry if this particular subject got your dander up. Opinions are opinions and you're going to run into all sorts of them all along the road of life! :)

Oh, there was definitely judging going on and also some denial.

Having said that...I loved Melody's post. There's no doubting most of us make changes to our appearance, merely by just brushing our hair in the morning. It appears to some that it's the degree of change that's the problem.

If you take this a little further, why are mood enhancing drugs okay? I mean, shouldn't each of us learn to deal with our emotional issues without taking anti-depressants or anti-anxiety medication?
Why is it so acceptable to pop a pill every day to tolerate ourselves and other people?

We live in a land of freedom where there are many options open to how we look, feel and live our lives. Thank goodness.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.