Biggers breasts anyone??

>>And, let's not forget that breasts are viewed differently
>from
>>(most) of our other body parts. Eyebrows are not political.
>>Breasts are.
>
>Sorry, I don't agree....I just don't see where breasts are
>political...although I do know a lot of politicians who are
>boobs. Breasts are personal and should be viewed as such.
>
>Melody's heart-felt statement only really speaks of
>acceptance, but I guess the post is not really being "read"
>for what it says.
>
>My thoughts,
>Robin

Hey Robin!

I agree 100 percent that breasts should be viewed as personal. I'm not saying I want them to be political but that they are. There are entire books on the social/sexual role of the female breast in America. That's what I meant by it being "political." As far as I know no one has done a sociological study of the kneecap in American society. :)

As for Melody's post, I do understand what she was saying. And, frankly, I don't think I would ever do a surgery like this. On the other hand, I don't understand super strong anti-breast augmentation opinions either. My only point was that having major surgery on one's breasts is not the same as taking vitamins or using face cream.

LOL on your politician/boob comment! So true! :D

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

>Oh, there was definitely judging going on and also some
>denial.
>
>Having said that...I loved Melody's post. There's no doubting
>most of us make changes to our appearance, merely by just
>brushing our hair in the morning. It appears to some that
>it's the degree of change that's the problem.
>
>If you take this a little further, why are mood enhancing
>drugs okay? I mean, shouldn't each of us learn to deal with
>our emotional issues without taking anti-depressants or
>anti-anxiety medication?
>Why is it so acceptable to pop a pill every day to tolerate
>ourselves and other people?
>
>We live in a land of freedom where there are many options open
>to how we look, feel and live our lives. Thank goodness.
>
>
Candi,

I don't disagree with you but I am going to play devil's advocate and ask if taking mood-enhancing drugs is the same as getting larger breasts. People can be debilitated by depression and anxiety, not able to get out of bed, or eat, or function in the world. If a women was not able to get out of bed because of her small breasts, well then I would say it was the same thing, and recommend some mood enhancing drugs....:D

Sparrow

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming ‘Wow - what a ride!’ — Peter Sage

This has been a very interesting debate and I admit to being surprised by some of the opinions expressed.

I think plastic surgery of any variety is a very personal decision, and I feel sad that women whose intelligence and dedication I really admire admit to judging others as being somehow less intelligent or less worthy of knowing because of choices such as this. I mean, who knows what is in someone's mind and heart when they elect the surgical approach? And why do we try to say it's okay in some circumstances but not in others? Isn't it rather elitist to say, okay, well, if your boobs are tube socks due to childbearing, I don't mind, but if you're doing this because you'd just rather be a C than an A, then it's not? Or that it's acceptable if you make your living on your face and body but unacceptable if you're just a "regular person"?

You know what's interesting, when I breast-fed my second child, I had this incredible epiphany about the actual PURPOSE of the breast vs. all of the hoopla surrounding it. I remember my mother being horrified that I would breast-feed in public, and tagging along behind me with a baby blanket which she would toss over my shoulder at every opportunity. And I remember thinking that it is just stupid, this obsession with breasts, considering they do actually have a purpose which has somehow been utterly lost.

Now, then, I have had some size loss and sagging due to child-bearing, and I have considered (and rejected) the surgical approach, but that's not because I wouldn't love to have a perky set again, it's only because I'm too practical to invest that kind of money into something that I'd have to upkeep. (Also, I have seen some terrible results on various programs and that frightens me.) But I definitely do not judge anyone who chooses this path.

Just my .02.

Marie

Hey Robin -
You did "get my meaning". From reading your posts re BA, I knew that you would.

No, you don't undergo anesthesia (that is simply another choice) to put chemicals onto your skin and, therefore by absorbtion, into your body. However, all those things are to alter the body you are given - rubbing things on (or swallowing) which are aborbed to change or improve the outward appearance. And I do know that rubbing and swallowing are not the same as surgery. We all make choices to alter ourselves, whether we view it that way or not. But many posts on this subject did carry judgmental undertones. They carried the overwhelming "Oh my gosh how can someone do that to their bodies!" Think about it, that is not just posting an opinion - although that may have been the intention. Boils down to we all make our own choices and rightly so.

SOMEONE (sorry, forgot name on the post) seemed to think I indicated rudeness was being used on this thread - never indicated or thought that. And I do understand opinions abound - I am full of them! As the mother of adopted boys with special needs, I hear all sorts of opinions and I happily offer my own.

Thanks for the welcomes. As a former aerobics/fitness instructor I hope to post on THAT subject with you ladies. And I won't be so long winded. I typed this w/o my glasses, hope it doesn't have too many errors!

RE: after pg AND nursing

After nursing him I can't fit into any of my prepregnancy bras because they are all too big. My breasts are deflated and look like a fat roll instead of breasts.

sigh, this is me too. I'm nursing #2 and see the skin getting pulled out even more. Personally I'd like to get a reconstruction w/no implants - making the breast smaller if it's possible. It's not about size but perk for me. They are covered in stretch marks and I'm ok with that but would like to pull them up some. I think only another mom with the same breast experiance would understand this.

>> When I say
>that I fear invasive surgery, I am talking about an operation
>... the surgeon puts you under anethesia, cuts you open,
>implants a foreign object in your body, and then sutures your
>skin back together. You are at risk for infection,
>complications from the immediate surgery & anesthesia and then
>later rejection of the implants from your body as a foreign
>object. That is the difference. Personally, I just don't
>understand why someone would voluntarily undergo such a
>procedure.

And let's not forget that it's not permanent. At best, you can go 15 years without having to have the surgery redone. The average is 10, but sometimes it has to be done even sooner.

Getting it done also pretty much puts you in the situation of having to have major invasive surgery again when you are older. You might be fine having it done at 30, but what about 50? 65? When do you stop?

>So, when did a small breast size become an illness like
>depression?

Right!
Or a deformity that has to be "corrected"?

Hey Tina, I am one who has been on both sides. I had a softer body ala Scarlet Johanssen, I was a C cup until I started really training hard and started competing in bodybuilding at age 23. I competed for 5 years and unfortunately when your body dips to such low levels of bodyfat that many times your breasts rarely come back...my booty yes... my boobs, no, LOL. I am an A cup. Now, at 35 I can hardly remember what it was like. I can say, I have friends with implants and as long as I know they are healthy I don't care, it doesn't effect how I feel about myself. I have thought about what it would be like but only if it could be done with my own fat transfer or something like that, I fear having a foreign object in my body, but thats just me. If a women wants to do this for whatever reason, its none of my business and has no bearing on how I look. If a man chooses another woman over me just because she has a bigger cup size, hes the real BOOB. I know I would feel disappointed in myself for doing it and would not like all the extra attention to just that area. I see how men react to my friends and I hate it. Frankly I am blessed in the backside area anyway so I don't need to pop on both sides, LOL. I do however like when someone notices me and its not, wow nice boobs (obviously), its wow you are so fit or something to that effect. That makes me proud. I don't think I would be happier if I was bigger. I can wear tank tops, tight shirts, run with no problem, etc... I also have friends who are very blessed naturally and they are all sagging. And never an issue in the man department, I am single and I get looked at just as much as my Aug'ed friends. Theres always going to be that dress that should fit better, etc, but ultimately I can’t see being happier knowing my breast are fake, sometimes I do wish I had the guts to do it but most times I feel happier knowing I am all real and happy about it. Although I am a fan of Oxygen magazine I really hate that all you see is augmented women. What do implants have to do with how buff you are. I guess because I had been in that world and was one of very few women who chose to not do it. I would rather see more fit women who look like me. Who knows maybe someday if I am lucky enough to get married and have kids and they suck the life outta me and I look really bad, I could change my mine. But for now I will remain small and perky ;)
If this is not enough to help you feel better, find me one man who would turn these women away because they have small breasts……..Eva Longoria (hottest little thing on the planet right now), Jennifer Lopez, Jada Pinkett Smith, Charlize Theron, Kim Catrell (who has been one of the biggest sex symbols), Beyonce Knowles, Jennifer Aniston, Sandra Bullock, Nicole Kidman, Shakira, Paris Hilton, Sheryl Crowe, Naomi Campbell! I could go on and on…….. Tina, there is nothing wrong with wanting to improve yourself and if you think implants is the way then that’s ok by all means but if your not happy with yourself as a person inside before surgery you will still be that unhappy girl after surgery but now you’ll just have bigger breasts. Not sure what your age is but I know for me when I hit 30 and every year after that I loved who I was more and more and accepted what was changing and how it was changing.

Skye

:7

Wow- I liked your post a lot, Skye! :) I have my opinion on this subject as well but most of you said what I felt so there's no need for another post of the same opinion.

Lisa

Depression is an illness but the patient makes the choice on how they want to treat it. It's a choice to take medication just as it's a choice to have breast implants. That was my point.

Depression can be treated through other means, Psychotherapy being one of them. Being on meds is a NORM that society has has accepted but it is not natural by any means.

People take depression or anti-anxiety medication to function the way they want to in society. Women get breast implants to function the way they want to in society.

I am not against mood altering drugs, I am not against plastic surgery. I am all for having choices...no matter what the situation.

Hi - thanks for your welcome. Don't worry my "dander" isn't up. As a matter of fact, I've never had dandruff.:) I'm really pretty easy going.

But I will have to disagree regarding the judgment issue. Some posts said things like "I can't believe someone would do THAT to their bodies" or "I couldn't or wouldn't be friends with someone who had BA" -- those have pretty judgmental undertones. Maybe not intended, but we all tend to be judgmental beings (unfortunately).

Re comparing surgery, I completely understand major surgery - one of my sons has it frequently due to special needs. My point was we all make choices to invade our bodies with "foreign" objects or products daily. The judgment "tones" were bugging me a bit.

Does anyone use tampons? Those are pretty invasive, huh?:)

Noone respond to that please, I'm just trying to lighten things up.

Nuff said, I'm done with this topic. I've gotta workout now. Today was my youngest's birthday and I was FORCED TO EAT CAKE!

Is there a comparison between breast augmentation and treating depression? Depression is caused by an imbalance of brain chemicals and anti-depressants are designed to bring them into balance. It's a tricky proposition since there arae so many neurotransmitters and it's a shot in the dark getting them balanced. When I think of mood altering drugs I think of opiates or alcohol which are so different from anti-depressants. Diet and exercise can be considered mood altering. Endorphins are released and it keeps us coming back for more. Food controls serotonin levels and can alter mood as well. Sex does the same thing. What has that to do with breast size? The only correlation I see is that breasts may lead to sex which may alter your mood. I am very grateful for anti-depressants and I don't mind having small breasts since I have no butt to speak of so it's all good. people are indeed judgemental. I think one must do what makes one happy and if you want to get larger breast, you should. Use anti-depressants if you need them and it can't hurt to talk to a nice head shrinker either. Be happy and love the skin you are in. That's an order!
Bobbi "Chicks rule!"http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/tiere/animal-smiley-032.gif
Tell me what you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver
http://www.clicksmilies.com/s0105/linie/smiley-linie-004.gif

>butts anyone?
>
>

Oh no Debbie... I don't want to go to THAT topic:eek: ;-)

Let's talk about cookies (um..the ones you eat...not the fake ones you put in your shoes ;)).....

Robin

I tend to try and stay away from these kinds of posts, but I felt like adding my two cents since I seem to be in the minority here.

I don't have breast implants, but I have been seriously considering it for about a year. I have researched it and talked to people who have had it done, and I have to say that I don't really understand why anyone should be looked at in a different way because they choose to do something that makes them feel better about themselves, regardless of the means they obtained it. I was born with a body type where my breasts are small and my butt and thighs are big. Why is it alright for me to not like my bigger butt and thighs and therefore workout to "correct" them, but not alright for me to not like my breasts and therefore get surgery to "correct" them??? Believe me, if I could do a couple Cathe workouts a week to make my breasts larger I would do them religiously! Unfortunately, there really is no way OTHER than surgery to increase the size of our breasts, except in my case, to gain a lot of weight.

For all of those who are happy with their smaller breasts, I think that is wonderful. However, I would much rather be a happy person with a breast augmentation then someone who is unhappy with what they see in the mirror everyday. And for those who say that it shouldn't matter, why not? Again, why is it alright for me put on make up every day or use tanning lotion or get a mole removed for cosmetic reasons (yes, I've had this done) in order to feel better about how I look? For those who say we should just love or be happy with what God gave us, do none of you do your hair, or wear make up, or paint your nails, or buy clothes that compliment your figure?

I am in no way saying that my looks are more important to me than my mind, or my family, or my health. All I'm saying is that why can't it still be important. And I'm not thinking about breast augmentation in order to "land a man", I have a loving wonderful husband. And I'm not thinking about it to get a promotion or to get people to notice me or like me. I am extremely fulfilled in those areas. I would do it for ME and only for ME. Just like I workout for ME and just for ME. I like looking in the mirror and being happy with what I see. I think it is important to love yourself on the inside AND the outside. And if getting breast implants, or getting a tummy tuck, or getting extra skin removed after losing weight or getting cheek implants makes you feel better about yourself then by all means DO IT!!!

Anyway, sorry this ran on so long. I respect all of you and I respect all of your opinions. I just wanted to add my thoughts.

Katie

Sparrow,

My point was, and I know I'm not clear sometimes is that there is MORE THAN ONE OPTION for treating emotional distress than taking medication. Not all depression or all anxiety is a chemical imbalance. These disorders can be brought on by childhood issues, stress, denial, etc. Some is chemical, yes, but not all. There are also degrees of depression, anxiety, etc. Not all of it is debilitating but it seems that it is becoming more acceptable to prescribe a pill to someone complaining they are depressed than it was 30 or 40 years ago. Just like it's easier to get have BA surgery.

The comparision I am trying to make also is that it's what is acceptable to one is not acceptable to another. Whether it is surgery to alter the body or medication to alter the mood. They were both born of scientific research and treatment and not natural.

I hope I would never not accept someone just because they made a choice to alter something about themselves because it made them feel better about who they are.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.