A Simple Recipe: Mix 1 part Workout with 2 parts Nutrition

Good morning, all. I will be going in to school in about 30 minutes and thought I'd stop in to share a recipe. I made these last night for dinner (and am having them for lunch as I type.) They are really good and easy to make. My husband and daughter liked them, too, so I think this will be something that I'll make once every 2 weeks or so.

Turkey Meatloaf Muffins

Ingredients:
* 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
* 3 egg whites
* 1 cup quick cooking oats
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
* 2 tsp black pepper
* 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice (I used 1 ½ tsp. ground cayenne pepper)
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
* 1 small onion (finely chopped)
* 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)

Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil.
3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball.
5. Bake for 40 minutes.

Makes 12 muffins.

Serving Size: Women: 2 muffins; Men: 4 muffins

Nutritional Information: Calories: 100 (per muffin)
Fats: 1.5 g
Carbs: 5 g
Protein: 19 g

Workouts have been great...I'm in recovery week right now. I don't like it, but I understand the need. My eating has been spot on, too, with the exception of 2 cookies to celebrate my daughter's 15th birthday.

My daughter's team won the District Championship! :D:D:cool: It's the first time since 2001, so everyone is very excited. We travel about 2 1/2 hours south to play in the Regional tournament tomorrow. Wish us luck!

Jane: A few more months? That would be difficult, but you gotta do what you gotta do, I guess. I bought Anica Gel at GNC. I don't know about a regular drugstore. Maybe a health food store would have it.

Stephanie: Thank you! :) I am trying...I have been using Slim in 6 Start it Up as a warm up for my "real" workout. It's just the right length for that. I did Plyo today after Start it Up. My legs are toasty. :)

I have a crock pot of white chicken chili going right now. I've been trying to plan ahead the last few weeks and it seems to be helping with everything!

Have a wonderful day, ladies! Let me know what you think of the Turkey Meatloaf Muffins if you make them. :)

:DHelen

My daughter's team won the District Championship! It's the first time since 2001, so everyone is very excited. We travel about 2 1/2 hours south to play in the Regional tournament tomorrow. Wish us luck!
That's awesome, Helen! We'll be rooting for your daughter's team! Woot! Woot!
& your recipe looks yummy - I will definitely try this one, as I've been searching for something to "do" with turkey & or chicken. & I signed up for myfitnesspal.com. Now to get the hang of it! LOL
Stephanie: Had to laugh at the "super clean max"! I hate the chore of changing over the clothes, so of course, I'm putting it off... Ha! Bet you were glad to get all that done & with what I call "free" calorie burn (since it's not an "official" workout :rolleyes:)
I'll do a P57 workout when I get home plus my physical therapy exercises. I have dinner in the crock pot, too!
We're on a good roll, ladies! Keep up the good work, work (as Cathe says)!

Helen: How did the tournament turn out?
Interesting thing that I've noticed with using myfitnesspal.com - I don't tend to snack because I don't want to have to bother looking up the food! LOL :eek: But, that's a good thing, right? Right!
I can't wait to get the new step workout in the low impact series. It looks dancey, which I truly enjoy. I LOVE Rhythmic Step & Step Moves, 4DS Hi & Lo because of the dancey moves. For some reason, there's less of a dread factor when the choreography is dancey.
It's raining today here in Cincinnati - with a cold front moving in. Fall is definitely here! If it weren't for knowing that snow & ice are coming, fall would be my favorite time of year.
Hope you both are having great Friday-eve days!

Well...the high school softball season is over for us. :(:( The girls played their hearts out, but just ran out of innings to get the job done. We lost 2-1 when the opposing team came from behind in the last 2 innings of the game. It was raining steadily the whole time, too, which made things more challenging for both teams. I literally have a thousand or more pictures of the season to sort through. :)

Really quickly (my daughter is breathing down my neck to get to the computer...) Workouts have been AWESOME! :D:D Eating has been just short of FABULOUS, and my jeans are fitting a little better than they did last week.

Life is good. :DHelen

good morning ladies..

Helen:sorry about your daughter:( at least she made it as far as she did and i bet she had a great time getting there!

Jayne rose: when i had physio (over 1 year for me knee) i worked on getting my core in extreme shape! maybe try that?? it helps when you get back into training because it helps hold everything else together!

i have been stsing and slim in sixing this week..debbie is starting to drive me wacko..but i will try..its only been a week so no results yet..

happy friday!
stephanie

Hello ladies, Hope everything is going swimmingly for you.
I got released from PT yesterday (YAY!), but she doesn't want me to try lifting weights until every last niggling twinge is gone from my elbow. :rolleyes: But, I'm willing to wait. I think there's enough I'll be able to do in the new series to keep me from getting bored, & like you said, Stephanie, I can continue to work on my core.
Helen, I'm sorry about your daughter's team not winning. I'm sure she was bummed... It's so hard when our children hurt! I'm sure you're excited about the Cards, though, right?
Hi-ho, hi-ho, it's back to work I go. Just wanted to drop in & say hi!:D

Yay, Jane! Released from PT! Let me know how the new series works for you. I hear they're ready to ship! :) And, yes...we are very excited about our Cardinals. My husband was a skeptic back in late August. He's eating crow now. :)

I'm working all week (except Friday when the kids are off school), so that means early a.m. workouts. I've started Meso 3 this week and they are long ones! I'd forgotten about that. :( I hit 2 personal bests yesterday during Chest & Back...40 lb. dumbbell rows and 25 lbs. chest flys...both with NO shoulder pain. It seems we're both on the mend, Jane! ;)

Stephanie: How are things in your world?

Oh...I made some pumpkin protein bars the other day. They are delicious! I'll share the recipe another day. Right now, I've got to get things ready for tomorrow's early a.m. leg assault! :)

Good morning ladies...

Well i finally stepped on the dreaded scale...it was good news:confused:
I lost 2 pounds! very psyched...then proceeded to eat my moms best chocolate chip cookies...only 3...not so bad..
I have started logging into MFP and am glad to say i have managed to do 3 whole days of food logging! (patting myself on the back right now)

Yesterday we got a call from the triage nurse in the departement of neuro psychiatry for my son which was great news. He has been pretty challenging at home. He already sees a psychologist once every 2 weeks for over a year now and i am getting a little overwhelmed with him. OI have taken parenting courses but..well...i hope that it is in the combination of all the medications that he takes and that we are able to figure something out..

Jane: totally work on the core...when i had completed my year of physio )(still now actually)you could see the definition of the core area and actually i can still see the first 2 lines of my 6pack! and thats with my little layer of fat on top!...you feel so powerful when you know your power house (thats what i call it) is solid...well worth the effort:)

Helen: double thumbs up on the great weights! you and i are about at the same..yeasterday i actually went to the gym to do chest and back because i wanted to see how much i could lift for the bench press and barbell rows...i am all nice and sore today..
I have to admit i hate the breaks in meso 3...yucky long..and i also miss my pull ups so i throw them in at the end (assisted of course)

I hope you all have a great day, Helen i hope the subbing doesn't drive you too crazy today!

off to wake up the kiddos!
stephanie

TGIF!! Yes, I'm very glad this week is winding down. But before I talk about myself ;)...

Stephanie: Congrats on the 2# weight loss! I'm glad things are looking up for your son, too. I'm with you on the rest periods in Meso 3...

Jane: How are things for you?

I hope myfitnesspal helps you both. I know it helps me.

I worked all week and am glad for a day off today. I know...cry me a river that I had to work all week, right?:p My assignment this week was the in school suspension monitor. Thankfully, I only had one kid to monitor, and I did get caught up on some reading I needed to do. My job was to not only make sure this kid got all of his work done, but to also make him see that ISS is no picnic. When he slouched in his chair, I told him to sit up straight. He was to say, "Yes, ma'm" and "no sir", "please" and "thank you". I took any opportunity to teach a few life lessons, too. One of his spelling words was "modify". I had him write a paragraph about what might happen to him if he did not "modify" his behavior. My drill instructor impersonation (and a visit from 2 juvenile officers) just may have helped a little.

It has been a good week of workouts and eating right. I have been re-reading "Burn the Fat, Feed the Muscle" and am soaking all the plain language information about the whole process of, not only losing body fat, but gaining (or retaining) muscle. I have discovered that I am not eating enough to lose the fat I need to lose and need to bump my calories up from 1500 to 1800 and maybe even higher. I have been trying like heck to eat 1800 calories this week and will weigh in and do my body fat measurements tomorrow morning to see how I've done. I feel just a tiny bit tighter and less bloaty.

Breakfast (Kashi cereal and almond milk) has settled. Shoulders, Biceps, Triceps is coming up in a few minutes.

Have a wonderful day!

Hi ladies! TGIF is right!!!
CONGRATS, Stephanie on the weight loss! That's awesome!
OK, I'm officially jealous of what you two can lift. Even before I hurt my elbow, I couldn't lift that much! Now I have something to shoot for! I didn't realize that both of you had sustained injuries before. I'm glad that things have healed nicely.
Stephanie, I'm not sure what's going on with your son, but it sounded as though the call was a good thing for you?
Helen, I think I have that book, too. I really should pull it out & refresh myself - sometimes that can be very motivating. I do hope you post the recipe for the pumpkin protein bars - I love pumpkin anything!
I haven't been feeling well this week, so my workouts have suffered. I don't know what's the matter - I feel fine in the mornings, but in the afternoons, I get light headed & feel as though I'm going to pass out. The gal that I work with says I get really pale, too. Hopefully, today will be better.
It's hard to believe that it's supposed to be in the 70's by next week. Brrr! It's kinda cold here!
I'm originally from a town about 50 miles from Zanesville, Ohio - where the wild animals were let loose? Did you guys see that on the news? My parents still live down there.
Here's to a great weekend!
Jane

Pumpkin Protein Bars

Nutrition (without walnuts): 1 square = 47 calories, .7 g fat, 8 g carbs, 3.7 g protein

Nutrition (with walnuts): 1 square = 63 calories, 2.3 g fat, 8 g carbs, 4 g protein

Ingredients:

½ C Xylitol Brown Sugar Blend (Ideal)
1 - 4 oz. jar baby food applesauce (I used organic no sugar added
applesauce)

2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1 ½ tsp. ground ginger
½ tsp. ground clove
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
½ tsp. salt
2 tsp. vanilla extract
4 large egg whites
1 - 15 oz. can of raw pumpkin

2 C oat flour
2 scoops vanilla whey protein
½ cup almond milk
½ C chopped walnuts (optional)

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 350.
Spray a 9 X 13 Pyrex dish with non-stick spray.
Combine first 11 ingredients and mix well.
Add the final 3 ingredients (4, if adding walnuts), and mix until
incorporated. Spread batter into the Pyrex dish and bake for 30 min.
Makes 24 squares

Well, ladies...today was weigh-in and measure day. Good eating has paid off. I have lost another pound and have also lost 1% body fat since last Saturday's weigh-in and measure. I'll take it!:D

My son came home from college last night so that he and his dad could work on his car. He has requested pork ribs and pork steaks for dinner. I'm going to remember this morning's weigh-in and stick to a turkey burger or grilled chicken breast.

Jane: Are you eating an afternoon snack? I hope you're feeling better. Lifting heavy has evolved over time. My goal is to be able to lift half as much as my 15 year old daughter. Now SHE is a WEAST (1/2 woman, 1/2 beast). :D

Stephanie: I hope you are well, too. How's your daughter's ankle? Pullups...not my favorite thing to do, but I strive to get back to where I was before my shoulders started barking at me. I went from barely being able to hang from the pullup bar to doing 3 clean pullups in about a 6 month time period. I'm back up to 1 1/2, so 3 is just around the corner!

My daughter had 2 softball games last night at 9:00 and 10:30 p.m. It was about 40 degrees and a little breezy. They won both games and play again tonight at 9:30. Thank goodness we only play 2 fall tournaments and then take a break until the end of January when indoor practices begin.

My workout today will be abs, abs, and more abs.:)

Have a great day and a wonderful weekend! :DHelen

Good Morning all!

Helen: i hope you had fun with your son and managed to stay away from the ribs...ribs...mmmmm soooo yummy...I have to admit i would have probobly caved (maybe thats why i have a stubborn 5 pounds that won't go away:rolleyes:)

Jane: I know you must be getting super excited since the lis is finally shipping...I am in canada so it will be a couple of weeks before i see mine:(

Well yesterday i had a power shopping day followed by dinner with my hubs in a restaurant with my hubs...it was all good until the waitress told me they had bread pudding:( My husband and i go out to dinner in a resto about once or twice a year..sooooo....yup i caved:eek:...then i came home and did a leslie walk for an hour to help out..I bet it would have a required a 6 hour walk to burn of that piece of deliciousness...

Helen...holy cow you could do 6 pull ups in the past:eek: wow...and here i am all proud of my 1:D

Well this week i am off for 2 days to a teacher training in QC. The school is paying a hotel for us and i get a break from my crazy kids at home;) I alkready checked out the hotel web site and they have a gym..so hopefully i can stay on plan.. Its going to be catered food so i am thinking i will be having a lot of dressing-less salad:(

Have a great Sunday ladies..

stephanie

Hey ladies! It's so pretty here today & it's going to be near 70 by Weds. I have a view of beautiful trees out my window at work. What a blessing! I spent 10 years in a refurbished closet (really!), & for the last 2 years, have been by a window. I never take that for granted.
Helen: Thanks for the recipe - I can't wait to try it. I LOVE pumpkin time of year! YUMMY! I hope you enjoyed time with your son. Your weigh in was great! How do you measure your body fat? Do you have calipers? I haven't lost any more weight, but I swear my slacks fit better. I have one pair of "skinny" slacks (size 4) that I'm almost back into. I can fit into them now, but they're too tight for my taste. I could get away with wearing them, but I like my clothes a little looser than they are. I try them on once a week. & yes, I've been eating an afternoon snack, so I'm not sure what's up with the afternoon dump in energy.
Stephanie: Oh, yes, I'm so excited about LIS I can taste it! I'm about to call my DH & see if by chance I got it today. AARGH! No answer - shoot! I just called him back. GOT THEM! Yay!!!
Since you only go out to eat once or twice a year, Steph, I wouldn't worry about the bread pudding. Life is to be enjoyed - not teeth gritted through! It certainly is nice to get a break from the kids once in awhile, isn't it? Enjoy the gym at the hotel!
My granddaughter gets sworn into the Army today (if she passes the physical), so I'm waiting to hear. We're going to try to drive up to the ceremony (2 hours away), if we hear in time. She broke her wrist several years ago, so an ortho dr. has to check her out today.
Have a great week, girls - & keep up the good work!

TGIF! We've made it through another week! How did it go for you ladies? Stephanie, how was your teacher's conference? Helen, are you about to die with excitement over the World Series?
I'm LOVING the new series - I've done a new one every night. I may do Yoga Max tonight, or Slide n Glide. They are challenging, with lots of moves that challenge muscles in new ways. My butt cheeks are talking to me in new ways, which is great!
It has turned cold here today & I hear that snow is on the way to the eastern coast. I'm not ready, but I had to scrape my windshield off this morning whether I was ready or not! LOL:eek:
My eating has been good, but I'm falling down in the water dept. Got to work on that. I'm doing some research on gluten free diets. Do either of you know anything about them - good books or websites?
Have a good weekend, ladies!

Jane: I'm glad you're enjoying the new series! I'm particularly curious about the Yoga Max workout. Did you do it yet? How did you like it?

Stephanie: I hope all is well with you!

It's over. Baseball season ended with a huge bang here in St. Louis. What a season, what a series! :) What a lesson in NEVER giving up and working hard to go after what you know you can accomplish, even when half the world is telling you it's impossible! I love my Cardinals.

The last few days have been full of very late nights and very early mornings. I am exhausted and can't wait to get caught up on sleep. I've missed a few workouts and my diet has been not so great...not enough water, and not enough good food. Tomorrow I'm back to business.

I subbed Friday and today. The Intermediate School was having their annual kickball tournament, so my assigned task was to umpire the games all day Friday (5th grade) and all day today (6th grade). It was really fun with both days ending with a teachers vs. students game. Some of the teachers were a little hardcore for me, but I'm just a sub...what do I know, right? :confused:

We have a Halloween gathering tonight and then I am hoping to get to bed early. I really want to skip the gathering, but it's a 12 year tradition.

Tomorrow's workout will be Discs 30 & 31. My entire upper body. Should be fun.

Until tomorrow....:DHelen

Hiya girls
Helen: us teachers are a little wack sometimes:D
I am sore just thinling about your workout!
Today i did chest and back from week 4meso3....only shoulders left and then rest week!!!!!!!! Seriosly hoping that i get my lis for rest week!!!!

Jane: totally jealous about your already using your new series..you seem to be having a blast:D

Eating has been so so and well tonight is going to be a write off..i have already started attacking the snack size chocolates..
Tomorrow i have to start clear fluids only since i am having a colonoscopy....yeah...jello and chicken broth for 36 hours....then a colon cleanse....betcha i am going to jump on the scale....hahah:p

So i did my workouts today so i will only be walking tomorrow and wednesday

Hi ladies! Made it through Monday - it's all downhill from here! LOL
I did Athletic Training last night & absolutely LOVED it! So much fun, I forgot how hard I was working (& gasping for air!). Whew! I've not done Trisets yet, since I'm still coddling my elbow, but I'm going to try it tonight, with very light weight. That's what I've been doing with the others that use weight - gone very light (3 pounds), & so far, so good.
Helen: Congrats on those Cardinals! I have to admit that I was rooting for them just because of you! LOL Your subbing days sound like fun! I've done Yoga Max & Yoga Relax. Yoga Max seemed to be strength oriented - Warrior poses, sun salutations, a few balance poses, but no spinal twist poses. Yoga Relax had spinal twists, more balance poses, & leaned towards flexibility. Of the 2, I enjoyed Yoga Relax more, but that's because I need the flexibility & stretching "work".
Stephanie: I don't envy you the prep work for the colonoscopy! I had one a few years ago. The actual procedure wasn't bad at all (I slept through it, LOL). I had to laugh at your comment about jumping on the scale! Too funny! Anyway, I wish you luck! Hope everything goes well!
My eating hasn't been too bad, although at the Halloween party we went to on Saturday night, I could not bring myself to pass on the carrot cake. :eek:
I got a couple of books regarding a gluten free diet, but I haven't received them yet. Cathe's blog a few weeks ago got me to thinking along this new avenue...
Keep up the good workouts!

Stephanie: For the most part, I like all the teachers I work with/for. There is one in particular, though, who is just very immature. He couldn't wait to play the teachers vs. students game, tried to cheat (literally...not in a kidding way), and made a little girl cry and didn't even care, saying "Rules are rules." Ahhhh...the cleanse. Ick.:p

Halloween is over...thank goodness. Now on to the next several weeks of temptations. My birthday is November 13, our anniversary is the 21st, then Thanksgiving, and on to the push for Christmas and New Year's. I MUST STAY ON TRACK!!

I think I'm going to order a few of the LIS workouts for my birthday. I'm intrigued by the yoga workouts, Afterburn, and Athletic Training. If you can clue me in, Jane, I'd appreciate it. :)

Gotta run. It's almost 11:15, and I haven't done my workout yet!! :eek:

Helen

Hey girls...
I have a confession...i was totally bad last night and probobly ate more candy than i gave out..lol..seriously not as bad as usual..but heck..i am on a liquid diet today so i even treated myself to a croissant this am with my regular greek yogurt.

I did my lower body blast this am and have been sipping chicken broth and eating jello (which my hubster messed up because he made it with double the water so it is liquidy and not sugary at all )

Jane.. I am about to head over to your house and grab your workouts! totally envious...and you rubbing it in ;) kidding..seriously...ok maybe not...

Helen: i know absolutely nothing about baseball:( here in Canada especially montreal, we a serious Hockey fans...even then...don't really follow.. however I am super happy that you are happy :)

check later after my marvelous weigh in pre-colorectal ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.