A Simple Recipe: Mix 1 part Workout with 2 parts Nutrition

Steph: Fantastic job with the bd party! How's your dd's ankle?
Helen: I hear ya! I do that all the time!
was consciously telling myself I shouldn't be eating it AS I was eating it!
I talk to myself about not eating something while I'm eating it. It's like I WANT to sabotage myself - to be down on myself. I truly don't get it...
I was able to get through the P57 barre workout! Hadn't done it for a long time. So now I'm thinking I'll be able to make it through Cathe's barre workout without screaming... fat chance!:p;)
Dinner last night was a disaster, so my goal today is to make a clean dinner & to get through the Intensity Step Premix!
Have a good hump day!

"If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced."
-Vincent Van Gogh

Jane: I'll help you...you help me. Deal? No more self-sabotage. No more caving in to telling ourselves (or letting anyone else tell us)"just one won't hurt".

I finished Disc 14 Legs a few minutes ago. It looks like it rained on my workout floor. I felt strong during the workout, although I did hit the pause button during the final 3 breaks to catch my breath. My max HR was 170 during the workout and it hit that more than once. I am definitely going to be suffering with DOMS, except I don't think it will be delayed too long!:eek: Gotta keep moving.

We've got thunderstorms rolling through our area today. We need a good soaking. The leaves on the trees started changing a few weeks ago already.

More later, Helen

I made it through yesterday without giving in to temptation. I started feeling the effects of my leg workout only a few hours after completing it and it was a nice reminder of how hard I'd worked. Everything I ate and drank was for the sole purpose of propelling me forward, and to try to ward off extreme DOMS. I am sore, but staying hydrated (96 ounces of water yesterday) was helpful.

Was it easy? No. I stood staring into the pantry more than once looking for something to munch to satisfy a craving for something crunchy. I almost popped some popcorn. But I didn't. I almost grabbed a handful of tortilla chips. But I knew that one handful would lead to two...(and I would probably want salsa to go with it.) I waited about 15 minutes each time, and the desire for something crunchy was gone.

Now, the challenge is to string 2 successful days together. I am determined to remain focused on my desired results.

Jane: How'd you do??

Today's workout is Power 90 Master Series Cardio Intervals followed by STS Medicine Ball Abs and a little stretching.

Have a good Thursday! :DHelen

Last edited:
WAY TO GO, Helen!!! I love your quote from Vincent Van Gogh, by the way.
I didn't do well with eating, but today IS another day & I'm determined to make it a good one! I have to keep in mind that my long-term goal is more important to me than the short-term gratification of those tortilla chips and a glass of wine. But, since my DH was not there for dinner, & the cupboards were bare... sigh...:eek:
I did manage to make it through the Step Only Premix of Intensity. Boy, that one is tough. It's like doing a Hiit workout with no breaks for 36 minutes! Whew! Tonight I'll do some more barre work & an ab workout from CrossTrain Xpress. I've got DOMS today from the P57 workout, so I guess I did something right! LOL
My physical therapist has cut me down to 1 visit per week. Doing the happy dance!!! One more baby step.
It's SHIT day! So Happy It's Thursday, as my sister always says. Makes me laugh every time. Keep up the great work, Helen!

You are right, Jane. Today is another day. Another day to look back on tomorrow with pride, not guilt, or coulda, shoulda, woulda. Do it for yourself! :) I'm right there with ya! :)

I said I was going to do the P90MS Cardio Intervals workout. I put it in, and I just couldn't. The music started and when Tony Horton and his sidekick, Dreya Weber appeared on the screen...I just couldn't. Sounds petty and silly, but her outfit really bugged me.:confused: She is amazingly fit, and it just was NOT flattering at all. Soooooo.....I put in MMA: Boxing, kept my core engaged and had a fantastic workout. :) Cardio is not my favorite thing to do, but I do enjoy the MMA Boxing workout.

Back to the weights tomorrow morning at 5:00 a.m.. I have to work tomorrow, and there will be no time in the afternoon to get it done.

Be good to yourselves! :DHelen

All is good here! I'm getting ready to get my workout done and then tomorrow is a much needed rest day!

We had a week full of high school homecoming activities. Thursday evening our daughter dominated in the powderpuff football game throwing for over 100 yards in 6 plays...all for touchdowns! It was a fun evening capped off by a huge bonfire.

The actual football game was last night, and unfortunately, the home team didn't play well and lost the game, but we had great fun visiting with lots of people we don't get to see very often.

Tonight is the dance and all that goes along with that...hair, pretty dress, a DATE:confused:, pictures...*sigh*...time flies. It was only a short time ago that she was a toddler.

I will rate this past week a 6 on a scale of 1-10 as far as my diet goes. I didn't stray too much, but I'm pretty sure I didn't eat ENOUGH to fuel my workouts. Gotta get better at that.

Have a wonderful weekend! :DHelen

WOW Helen you have me scared...my dd is 14...this too (dating) might happen at some time???
As i have mentioned I am Italian ..my dad never even let me out of the house before i was 18! This dating stuff has me running scared:eek:

I wish I had your problem of not eating enough Helen! I eat enough to fuel your workouts and mine:eek:

Today I have sts m2w2 legs...
I feel like exercising like a whole in the head...but it must be done!

My 7 year old has been refusing to do homework for the past 2 hours...she is either moaning and groaning, whining or screaming at me in different intervals...I have let her go on and have told her that she is not allowed to play with anything, watch any tv, go outside etc until the homwork is done this weekend. She is so stubborn! I just about want to cry right about now...I wish i was at work:(

She has successfully givin me a splitting headache...i don't know how she has the energy to persist in making so much noise and of grumbling so much...it hasn't stopped at all...she takes breaks to eat..and of course complain that it tastes bad..(even i can't screw up chicken nuggets)

All i want to do right now is have a bowl full of ice cream (thankfully i have none in the house:D)

Now let me go find a wall i can bang my head against..

Hopefully everyone else's weekend is going better!

Steph: Hang in there! :) For the record, my daughter is re-thinking her "relationship status" with this boy. He's a nice kid, but she's finding out she's not ready to be labeled as someone's "girlfriend". I will never tell her "I told you so", but...I told her so.;) She is looking forward to having fun with EVERYONE at the homecoming dance tonight, and that's the way it should be! :)

I hope your day gets better! Good luck with your leg workout. I have yet to get my workout done. I keep finding things to do around the house.:rolleyes:

Helen

Well Helen, its amazing how much life seems better after a great workout!

I did m2w2 legs and felt so pumped I also did the m2w2 chest workout!

LOVE IT...feeling indestructable right about now...Holy Cow those drop sets are total killer!my triceps are still shaking!

thanks for the cheering up!
steph

Hi girls! I'm really glad that I'm past the dating thing... my 2 boys are grown & gone. & yes, everything in life looks better after a good workout! I did Clean Max again on Saturday, did another Physique 57 workout on Sunday.
Helen - your daughter sounds awesome! What an arm!
Way to work it you two! Keep up the good work! & Steph, you have much more patience than I ever had! :eek:

Ok Jane what the heck is Clean max? i have heard of physique but don't know exactly what it is..do you like???

My older DD is still on crutches and going to physio 2x a week...bad sprain...she is a little bit of a prima donna..so its hard to know if it is okay now...she says the pain is the same as the day she did it:rolleyes: not buying that but will wait until physio tomorrow to get rid of the crutches..

The little one finally did her homework on Saturday night...no tv..nothing until it was done...at that point i wanted to do the darned homework!

Today i did sts m2w2 back and bis and chest shoulders and tris...and i went for a power walk with a collegue at lunch..I forgot how much i enjoyed walking and how everything just seems to fade away after every step!

Weighed myself today and was not pleased by the scale...i know all that muscle takes up less space stuff but heck..my thighs are touching! i absolutely hate that...you know when you get the little tiny balls on the inside of your pants:mad: however i did not let it ruin my eating today...

I am crossing my fingers that it will be better tomorrow and that it just was water weight (but the thighs were touching:mad:)

Hope you all had a great day and see ya tomorrow!

Oh, Steph, I feel your pain! I absolutely HATE that feeling (of thighs touching)! However, with as much as you're working out, I'm sure it's muscle gain & or water weight. I gained weight when I first started on STS, but I definitely lost inches. I'm so glad to hear that you didn't let it bother your motivation to eat clean! Way to go! Sounds like your DD will soon be off crutches - that's great! I'm down to physio only once a week, & she now has me doing wall push ups. Slow but sure..
& Clean Max is this awesome 4 hour workout that I do every Saturday - it burns lots & lots of calories. It's cleaning my house...:;)
Physique 57 is more of a barre type workout, & although it's a full body workout, I have to skip all the arm work. The instructor is nothing like Cathe, & I don't care all that much for her style, but at least it's a workout that I can do while I'm hampered with tennis elbow. It gives a whole different "burn" than traditional lower body weight work. Someone on this site had mentioned that she had great results from this program, so I thought I'd try it. I'll keep you posted re: results.

Jane you totally KILLED ME!
I was ready your cleanmax explabnation...burst out laughing and my collegue who shares my office wanted to know...we Both had another laugh! You have actually made my day! thanks!

Unfortunately (??) My cleaning lady gets to do Clean MAX:eek:

When I went back to work full time it was either a cleaning lady or a divorce;)

Just finished plyo legs disc 29 (i think) feeling indistructable right about now:p

BBL

thanks again Jane for introducing a lot of levity intop my day!
off to great my students:D

I'm glad I gave you a laugh, Steph! Hope the rest of your day went well. I used to have a cleaning gal, too, but when my hubby retired, he said he'd do it. Well, that lasted exactly one week! So, I think I use up more calories muttering under my breath every Saturday than I do actually cleaning! LOL!:p Helen, what are you up to these days? I did Hiit 30/30 last night. Whew! I'm always wringing wet after that one! I've been better with eating clean, but I'm still having trouble with portion control. So, my new goal is to be better with that. Maybe if I use a smaller plate???

Jane I read that if you eat with a smaller plate and huge utensils you eat less:confused: not sure why the utensils but the plate for sure..it tricks your mind into thinking it ate a lot!
I am soo much like you...I eat good healthy food just too much of it!
Yesterday I did plyo legs and power walk at lunch..
today i am doing back and bis and a power walk at lunch!

love walking..

maybe i'll try a hiit as well!

Hello, ladies! I have been SWAMPED the last few days! We had the homecoming game dance this past Saturday evening. My daughter was beautiful (of course) :) and had a lot of fun. BUT...she decided that she is definitely not ready to be anyone's girlfriend, so on Monday morning, she told her boyfriend that she would really rather just be friends. (They've only been "dating" for a few weeks, but have been friends for about a year.) He was fine with it. Hopefully, she'll accumulate lots of friends of both genders and wait a few years before deciding she wants something more.

Sunday was a rest day and I've been subbing all this week. My workouts have been non-existent!:mad::mad: I don't sleep well...partly because my husband snores, partly because I just don't sleep well since I turned 46 (I'm almost 48 now.) I have set my alarm for 5:00 a.m. every day this week to get my workouts going, and I have re-set it for 6:00 every day without doing my workouts! We've had evenings full of softball, too, so evening workouts haven't been happening, either.

Eating has been fine, but I am short on calories when I work...not much opportunity to get my snacks in.:confused:

BUT, today, we have no softball and my daughter is staying late at school to do her workout and watch the soccer game, so I am taking advantage and going to do STS Total Body in a few minutes.

I need more than a cleaning lady...I need a whole crew sometimes!

Gotta run! Have a good evening! :DHelen

I am off work today and getting ready to hit the workout room. I've got a good plyo workout coming up followed by about 30 minutes rest, then upper body weight training. Chest, shoulders, biceps, triceps, back, and abs. THAT will be followed by housecleaning.

Better get moving! Have a great day!

Helen

Hello gals! Helen - I bet your daughter was gorgeous! I'm sure you took lots of pictures, right? I'm sorry you were so swamped - I hope things settle down for you soon! Steph - I'm trying the smaller plate, so I'll let you know if it actually helps. I'm afraid I'll just tell myself that I can have seconds since the plate is smaller... :eek:
I did IMax-3 yesterday. Wow! I'd forgotten how hard that one is! I found myself looking down a lot, after reading the thread here about step mishaps. When I get tired, I find myself stumbling a bit, & I was definitely tired by blast #6. The day before, I did the Thigh & Seat Booster from P57. It's only 30 minutes long, but my legs were screaming! Guess that's a good thing - keeps my muscles shocked.
Looking forward to the weekend!

Checking in before we go visit our son. :)

Jane: I always worry about step mishaps! When the people on the dvd are using 3 risers, I use 2 and even then I'm uncoordinated! :confused:

Steph: Smaller plate, huge utensils...that's funny. My grandmother used to say that if you ate standing up all the calories fell to the floor. :p

Yesterday's workout was great. I'm feeling it this morning! I did my plyo leg routine, followed by upper body weight training. It took almost 2 hours (including rest between), but it went by fairly quickly.

50 days until I turn 48. 42 workouts to go. My goal is to get back into my size 4's by then. I think it's doable if I remain disciplined and hydrated.

Have a good weekend! I'll be back on Monday. :DHelen

I did Clean Max last night after I got home from work, so today I did a Boot Camp PreMix of Cardio & Lower Body Only, then did the Core Only PreMix, too.
Helen, that's a great goal! YOU CAN DO IT! My birthday is in December, & my goal is the same thing - to get in my "skinny" clothes!
I have noticed a big improvement in my eating since I've started checking in you with gals, & have lost a couple of pounds. So, thank you!
Hope you both have a great weekend! I'm either going to do Rhythmic Step or IMax 2 tomorrow.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.