Rear delt flys and a barbell version of a rear delt row in the STS 2.0

forum_admin

Administrator
Staff member
stacked-images.jpg

Pictured here on the top are Cathe, Jenn A, Jenn D, and Kristin doing modified versions of rear delt flys with bands while Al, on the bottom is showing a barbell version of a rear delt row in the STS 2.0
Single Body Part Shoulder workout.

By now I hope we’ve convinced you that STS 2.0 is full of challenging exercise options for those who have minimal equipment and/or those who have a lot of equipment and would like to explore a variety of options.

Pre-Order Cathe's New STS 2.0: Muscle & Recovery Workout Program Now At: https://bit.ly/2WDfkdh and Get Free Worldwide Shipping!

I guess I am missing something important here in the pic, but why couldn’t you step on the tubing to anchor the tubing instead of using the weight on the floor? Does the weight add something more than just anchoring? Also, someone in the back is doing
something different, like using wall anchor, or just a weight?

I guess I am missing something important here in the pic, but why couldn’t you step on the tubing to anchor the tubing instead of using the weight on the floor? Does the weight add something more than just anchoring? Also, someone in the back is doing
I think Cathe just likes to change things up. Variety and creativity is the spice of life .
I appreciate that she uses little innovations. (Not that you don’t appreciate it). Just my perspective.

I see you've asked this a couple of times with the only response being that the dumbbell weight needs to be ~45#. Jenn D. looks to be using a wall anchor. I probably will use my foot, as you're asking as it's the simplest set-up. The tension can be adjusted by where you place your foot on the band as Cathe demonstrates in previous series.

I see you've asked this a couple of times with the only response being that the dumbbell weight needs to be ~45#. Jenn D. looks to be using a wall anchor. I probably will use my foot, as you're asking as it's the simplest set-up. The tension can be adjusted by where you place your foot on the band as Cathe demonstrates in previous series.
OMG, thank you Debinmi…. I was beginning to feel like I was asking the question from H#$# ! :). I don’t own 40-45 lbs weights :(….. I can’t handle that much, and I don’t think
it’s feasible for me to buy 1 heavy weight for $50.00 to do the anchor thing. (I am the “dumbbell” if I do) LOL.
and then I felt like I was not appreciative of new ways to do to do old moves, getting a little too stressed..:). I just was asking clarification that your foot on the tubing gives the same result…or does the weight somehow give an extra boost..for some reason. Maybe she mentions in the workout that you can stand on the band…..and yes, it does look like Jenn in the back is using wall anchor. Thanks again….

OMG, thank you Debinmi…. I was beginning to feel like I was asking the question from H#$# ! :). I don’t own 40-45 lbs weights :(….. I can’t handle that much, and I don’t think
it’s feasible for me to buy 1 heavy weight for $50.00 to do the anchor thing. (I am the “dumbbell” if I do) LOL.
and then I felt like I was not appreciative of new ways to do to do old moves, getting a little too stressed..:). I just was asking clarification that your foot on the tubing gives the same result…or does the weight somehow give an extra boost..for some reason. Maybe she mentions in the workout that you can stand on the band…..and yes, it does look like Jenn in the back is using wall anchor. Thanks again….
You're welcome... we don't have dumbbells that heavy either. ... when Cathe uses a big'ol dumbbell for pick-up squats in Perfect 30 LB, I use 2 20# & go a little deeper in the squat to lay them down & pick them up. There's always ways to modify to make things work. In fact, this particular exercise is used in Xtrain Rear Delt Bonus ... they use their foot to anchor. ...

I work out barefoot. I find I can balance better barefoot as I can spread my toes. A lot of shoes, especially women's shoes, are narrow and I have wide feet. My feet feel confined and get sore from the sides of the shoes rubbing on them. Also, I don't like stepping on mats, bands, or tubing with shoes on as the shoes can damage them and they don't last as long.

So how do you anchor? I read that some others also do weight work sans shoes .... what are the advantages? Although I have never dropped a weight, I think I'm fearful i might ... but then again, a shoe wouldn't really protect my foot...
When I use the band, I place the band on the yoga mat and step on the band adjusting the placement based on the resistance I need. It's very secure.

For me, I have greater body control because all of my toes are able to be placed firmly on the ground. It's easier for me to have good form and balance, too.

Last edited:
I guess I am wondering why they aren't showing an "option" of using your foot to step on the
band.....I understand all the new options and they are great, especially using door/wall anchors,
but I don't fully " get it" using the heavy weight to anchor instead of your bodyweight...or at least
another option if you don't have the heaviest of weights. I tried stacking a couple weights to
provide a heavier weight anchor, and it would work, but a lot of trouble I think to get them
stacked correctly and I know on a few of my weights, the handle sections have some rough
spots or textured areas that I could see tearing or putting extra stress on the tubing...
Oh well, I'll figure it out....I do like the option with the barbell that Al is showing......I'll move on
to that and see what I can "rig up" :)

I guess I am wondering why they aren't showing an "option" of using your foot to step on the
band.....I understand all the new options and they are great, especially using door/wall anchors,
but I don't fully " get it" using the heavy weight to anchor instead of your bodyweight...or at least
another option if you don't have the heaviest of weights. I tried stacking a couple weights to
provide a heavier weight anchor, and it would work, but a lot of trouble I think to get them
stacked correctly and I know on a few of my weights, the handle sections have some rough
spots or textured areas that I could see tearing or putting extra stress on the tubing...
Oh well, I'll figure it out....I do like the option with the barbell that Al is showing......I'll move on
to that and see what I can "rig up" :)
I'm thinking it may be for "screen aspect" - my current wall anchors are on the back wall therefore my back is to the TV screen. If I want to be straight-on to the screen, I'd have to use a weight or my foot like they do. You could possibly place 2 25# dumbbells side-by-side & place the tubing under the handles.

Yep, same here Debinmi, I have to turn too to do other side....door isn't easily moved to keep me forward ! LOL.

I guess in my "perfect world", Kristen would show option with weight anchor, Jenn A showing it with foot
anchor, Jenn D with wall/door anchor option and Al showing barbell option..... :) all bases covered.

I'll move on, see what else I can stir up ... :) I just need to look at the pictures and not over think it or
run & practice.... It's gonna be a long 3-4 months....:):)

Great questions and observations. Jenn D in the back is showing the wall anchor version of what Jenn A and Kristin are showing using the anchored heavy dumbell on the floor with the tubing.
The difference between just stepping on then and with your foot (which is also perfectly fine) is that it’s much easier to adjust the range of motion and tension at any point in the exercise without it interrupting the flow of your reps. For instance, when you step on it with your foot and hinge forward and extend your arm you have to continue to stop and re-adjust your foot to allow for the proper range of motion to feel the reps correctly. Then while you’re doing those reps, if you get fatigued, most likely you will do less range of motion instead of continuing with full extension because you’re in a fixed position. However, if you use the anchored weight option, this limited range of motion issue gets eliminated. Because now your hands and the anchored weight act almost as a pulley system and adjust very quickly giving you more band on one side and less on the other without having to lift your foot and disrupt your reps. Additionally, as your shoulder fatigues, you can just quickly feed more tubing to the one side effortlessly allowing you to continue doing the reps with full range of motion and extension vs going only half as high due to fatigue when your foot is standing on the band. I hope this explanation helps .

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.