Outlander by Diana Gabaldon - anyone?

story1267

Cathlete
Hi!

Since many of the good things in my life have come from the Cathe forums I thought I'd offer up something TO the forums.

Some years ago a friend of mine handed me a book, a paperback, pretty cheesy-romance looking. She said to me, "Ignore the cover - just read it, trust me".

I did and was immediately transported into the world of Outlander - a book of no describable genre. But wow, it took up residence in my head and hasn't left.

There is an entire series - huge, enormous, delicious books. I've read them all...and am now working my way through the series again, one by one.

Now Starz is adapting Outlander as a series. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone else?

I read the first three or four of this series and enjoyed it. The first two books were the best, and I lost interest after the story started focusing more on the daughter. Maybe I'll have to give them another chance---I just got a Kindle Fire, so I'm on the hunt for good books (always swore I'd never get a reader, but I must admit, I'm a convert). haha!!! :D

Hi!

Since many of the good things in my life have come from the Cathe forums I thought I'd offer up something TO the forums.

Some years ago a friend of mine handed me a book, a paperback, pretty cheesy-romance looking. She said to me, "Ignore the cover - just read it, trust me".

I did and was immediately transported into the world of Outlander - a book of no describable genre. But wow, it took up residence in my head and hasn't left.

There is an entire series - huge, enormous, delicious books. I've read them all...and am now working my way through the series again, one by one.

Now Starz is adapting Outlander as a series. I'm looking forward to it.

Anyone else?

That's too funny..I came across this series in exactly the same way! Friend handed me the book, told me not to judge her, ignore the cover and enjoy. And I sure did. I lost struck after the one with Snow in the titles (just too busy, not disinterested) and hope to catch up again someday. Excited to hear Starz is adapting...hope hey do a good job!

I read Outlander and a few of the other books in the series several years ago ... the story never leaves you. Outstanding.

Stebby

I really enjoy this series as well! Only read the first 4 books, plan to get the next one soon.

This is one I don't get. Everyone loves this book. A hero who beats the snot out of the heroine? No thanks. That was my take away. And she was supposed to be a modern women, even though she was transported back. And she took it? Hell to the no.

My .02

Nan

I have the first four downloaded on my kindle. Had them for about a year. Keep saying I am going to start as I hear they are good. But I always read something else!

This is one I don't get. Everyone loves this book. A hero who beats the snot out of the heroine? No thanks. That was my take away. And she was supposed to be a modern women, even though she was transported back. And she took it? Hell to the no.

My .02

Nan

Abuse of women is a serious issue, and I would also note that men are abused and tortured in these novels as well. Some of the content is stomach churning. It is part of the story and consistent with life in 1700 Scotland /New World (or whenever it was...it's been quite a while since I've read them). The heroine is incredibly intelligent and able to determine what she can change and what she must endure. I admired that about her, for she certainly would have suffered even more if she weren't able to make these distinctions. It also graphically illustrates how much worse "the olden days" (whether the 1700s or 1950s) were for women; even smart, capable ones. I thought the writer did an excellent job handling this without hitting the reader over the head with it.

I was able to read this book and understand its context, and that's probably true for most readers. I don't think it supports or encourages abuse of women (or men), but, rather, like most books, allows the reader to consider what has happened, why, how they feel about it and what they might do if they were in the same situation.

Sorry these books weren't for you, but I found them - and particularly the enduring love story - a rip roaring read.

I love the freedom to share opinions and if this series isn't for you because of it's content then it is absolutely your choice to decline to read it.

I know many have shied away due to the homo-erotic (sometimes violent, sometimes not depending on the characters involved) content. Again, personal choice.

My question would be...if I consider my reading choices based upon the conduct of the characters.....what would I read? And I'm not being flippant here...just wondering. I have not looked at reading from that angle.

What interests me so much about this series is the characterization - all the messy, ambivalent, truly heroic, truly rotten, humanity...often in the same person. Don't we all struggle with the light and dark aspects of ourselves?

Last edited:
Loved the series. Even read them all twice, and looking forward to the next in the series.
Sherry

I get that, and the context. I've read other books with a similar theme/vein, but something about this one rankled me. To each his/her own. Lots of people love them. And I get the idea of the enduring love story, but something about Jamie (???) rankled me and pushed my buttons.

What is odd, is that I read Dragonfly in Amber first, because I didn't realize it was part of a series, I picked it up at a bookstore years ago. Despite being a bit lost at first, I liked it. So I started from the beginning, and just didn't like the first one. I tried, though. *sigh*

Abuse of women is a serious issue, and I would also note that men are abused and tortured in these novels as well. Some of the content is stomach churning. It is part of the story and consistent with life in 1700 Scotland /New World (or whenever it was...it's been quite a while since I've read them). The heroine is incredibly intelligent and able to determine what she can change and what she must endure. I admired that about her, for she certainly would have suffered even more if she weren't able to make these distinctions. It also graphically illustrates how much worse "the olden days" (whether the 1700s or 1950s) were for women; even smart, capable ones. I thought the writer did an excellent job handling this without hitting the reader over the head with it.

I was able to read this book and understand its context, and that's probably true for most readers. I don't think it supports or encourages abuse of women (or men), but, rather, like most books, allows the reader to consider what has happened, why, how they feel about it and what they might do if they were in the same situation.

Sorry these books weren't for you, but I found them - and particularly the enduring love story - a rip roaring read.

It sounds kind of like how people reacted differently to "Fifty Shades of Grey" series....I kept hearing how great it was, waited forever for the library book to be available, and could not stand the book, did not even get half way through it....

Just shows how everyone is different!

I really liked the entire Outlander series - I like my fiction to make me think 'what if'. I think that's why I really liked Stephen King's 11/22/63. Such a departure for him, and wow what a lot of thought that generated for me. These are the books that I still have in hardcover...

Speaking of hardcover - have you all heard that Amazon will be offering Kindle versions of books that you bought from them for a reduced cost? Ever? For me, that will be quite a haul. And they are the ones that I reread. Like The Stand :)

I liked 50 Shades :eek::eek::eek::eek: Not because it's great literature (it sure isn't!!!!) but it was a fun read. It had entertainment value, and some laugh value at some points.

Nan

It sounds kind of like how people reacted differently to "Fifty Shades of Grey" series....I kept hearing how great it was, waited forever for the library book to be available, and could not stand the book, did not even get half way through it....

A co-worker has been talking about this series! That's it! I'm getting my library card ready to go!!!!:p
Thanks for the recommendation!

I read in "New York Magazine" that it's the most requested book at GITMO! :eek:

Well, I'm glad to have find a few like-minded folks...and a thoughtful dissenter :D.

For the already obsessed I'll offer up the following....

That's Normal ‹ Where abnormal obsessions over pop culture are normal!That's Normal

It's a really funny blog - and they are all over Outlander and the series.

I'll confess that I *may* have spent more time than was absolutely necessary on the following post...... :eek:.....this is the actor chosen to play Jamie.

Let me introduce you to Sam Heughan playing Jamie Fraser in OutlanderThat's Normal

(***ahem***disclaimer...as my favorite fb post on the subject states.."My sweet lord, that boy is all kinds of beautiful"....he is quite distracting...the post is pretty much SFW but possibly not for those with delicate sensibilities. But, if you have delicate sensibilities, Outlander isn't for you in the first place)

Enjoy!

You all know that book 8 is being released soon, right? I for one, cannot wait! It's title is "Written in my own Heart's Blood.". I already pte-ordered it for my Nook.

Loved this series! Although I do agree about not knowing it is a series of books, you can't tell by the covers. I think Diana should give a clue as to which book is the first, second, third, etc.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.