Negative attitude/comments regarding health & fitness

I shop a lot at costco ( warehouse store)and most items are larger than in the average store. I was buying a 40 lb bag of potting mix and had several men ask if I needed help. I see it like NY25... they are being polite. I usually don't need the help.... but look at them and say 'thank you so much for offering, that's so kind of you, but I've got it OK". Never a good plan to reward a kind offer with rudeness.
Plus, even if you are strong and fit, there may be times you have an injury, had surgery, are juggling a small child, or a million other reasons and you need assistance with something you ordinarily could handle easily. who's going to offer to help if they keep getting rude comments whenever they offer?
common courtesy, alas, is not so common anymore. I'll hop up to open a door for a man lugging some big object as I hope someone would do for me if needed.

Agree also on points about cashiers. they do it all day, every day from odd angles, and for their protection it's probably good store policy not having them lift everything that comes thru their lane.

I get told that I exercise too much when in fact most of society doesn't get nearly enough exercise and seeing as anyone who has ever said that to me is one of the latter-thanks but I see no reason to listen to what you have to say on that topic!

I get told that I don't eat enough when in fact I eat plenty and am capable of eating lots MORE! I just choose not to MOST of the time! I also try my best to eat relatively healthy MOST of the time which scares people I think! LOL

I get told that I am too skinny when I am far from it. I am slender but muscular. The only reason I wear the sizes that I wear is because of the ridiculous changes in women's sizing over the years! :rolleyes:

I get told that I either A-don't need to exercise or B-don't need to watch what I eat because I look great. Well thank you so much for the compliment but umm.. how do you think I got to look this way in the first place!?? Certainly not from sitting on the couch eating garbage all day long!!! :confused:

Wow! What a way to bring life some life into the forums! :D

Thank you to everyone who chose to share their experiences/opinions on a very controversial topic. It means a great deal to me when I bring up topics that I feel most of us can relate to, and get such passionate feedback. A difference of opinion is what makes the world go 'round :).

My post was not originally intended to discuss Wal-Mart (I should have kept this retailer private. My bad :eek:), why/why not cashier's should lift heavy objects, chivalry (or lack thereof), why some people are sensitive to negative/unwelcoming comments, while others have a thicker skin. It was to discuss a topic that hits close to home for most reading this forum. Criticizing, looking down upon, acting in a disrespectful or rude manner, ect. to another human being is never ok, no matter what lifestyle they chose to live. I don't go into McDonald's and scold the parent who feeds their 2yr old child Chicken McNuggets instead of making them a healthy meal at home. Or the person that drives to the corner store instead of walking. It's not my place to tell them how to live, and it's not their place to tell me how to live. But that's the world we live in. I get it.

Last edited:
Yes I have noticed you do have interesting topics! So great to read.. I bet you are a very Interesting person to be around! Keep it coming. Lol

I don't go into McDonald's and scold the parent who feeds their 2yr old child Chicken McNuggets instead of making them a healthy meal at home. Or the person that drives to the corner store instead of walking. It's not my place to tell them how to live, and it's not their place to tell me how to live. But that's the world we live in. I get it.

I am sure nobody thinks you do these things, Natalie!!:)

You know this is a very valid point. We should all remember that no one is perfect, everyone's circumstances are different and just because "she" brought her family into McDonald's today for a meal doesn't mean that she will do the same thing tmrw, next week, next month or even next year! My son eats things like McDonalds but it's the exception and not the rule so to speak and IMO there is absolutely nothing wrong with that! :)

I didn't have time to read all the postings but I had to join in.

I was at a store buying 35 & 40lbs dumb bells and the cashier asked if I needed help getting those out to my car. I politely said, no thanks, I can handle it.

Everyone thinks I'm insane that I get up at 3am 6 days a week to workout.

I did have some people say to me that I didn't need to work out. I told them, how do you think I got to look like this. Trust me it, it wasn't good genes. I was blessed with not the best ones.

Probably the most disappointing was when I was so thrilled that I finally got to go to one of Cathe's Road Trips (Chicago) and I was telling people that I was going away for the weekend and they were all excited for me until I told them what I was doing it. The change in the reaction was unbelieveable.

The best one is when my DH and I are shopping and there is something fairly heavy to carry, I'll always grab it first and he lets me carry it out to the car and loves the looks we get. He's like "yeh, guys look how tough my wife is." I love him to death for not being weird about it.

I'd have to say I don't have many close friends because of my love and passion for working out. I don't have a whole lot in common with most people that I know. This is why I'm thankful I'm on Cathe's forum with people that understand.

Brenda

Please do not feel bad about this

People hate me because I am only 5'2" and under 110. I have been attacked by obese ladies on other message boards because of this. I cannot help my build, and I wear a size 0 to 1.

People hate me because I am only 5'2" and under 110. I have been attacked by obese ladies on other message boards because of this. I cannot help my build, and I wear a size 0 to 1.

Are you serious? People attack you because of your size? What message board are you talking about? I find that very strange!

I wear a size 0 or even XXS in almost everything I buy. I've never, ever had any negative feedback because of it. I have to wonder how you are presenting yourself to others on message boards. I said it earlier in the thread, but I really think it applies here too. If you are getting negative reactions, the first thing to do is check yourself. I really do believe that whatever responses we get from others are usually dictated by our own behavior in some fashion. I'm not blaming you, I'm just offering up a perspective.

I don't understand the whole dynamic of people being put down for healthy choices, weighing less or exercising a lot. I don't have toxic people like that in my life. If I did, they wouldn't be around me for very long.

mbmundt said:
I didn't have time to read all the postings but I had to join in.

I was at a store buying 35 & 40lbs dumb bells and the cashier asked if I needed help getting those out to my car. I politely said, no thanks, I can handle it.

Everyone thinks I'm insane that I get up at 3am 6 days a week to workout.

I did have some people say to me that I didn't need to work out. I told them, how do you think I got to look like this. Trust me it, it wasn't good genes. I was blessed with not the best ones.

Probably the most disappointing was when I was so thrilled that I finally got to go to one of Cathe's Road Trips (Chicago) and I was telling people that I was going away for the weekend and they were all excited for me until I told them what I was doing it. The change in the reaction was unbelieveable.

The best one is when my DH and I are shopping and there is something fairly heavy to carry, I'll always grab it first and he lets me carry it out to the car and loves the looks we get. He's like "yeh, guys look how tough my wife is." I love him to death for not being weird about it.

I'd have to say I don't have many close friends because of my love and passion for working out. I don't have a whole lot in common with most people that I know. This is why I'm thankful I'm on Cathe's forum with people that understand.

Brenda

Yeah Brenda!

I think People who do make those comments" you don't need to workout" or you're too skinny you can eat anything" or "you'll get bulky" make those comments because they know they don't have the discipline to do what it takes to be healthy or don't understand what "HEALTHY" really means. Its just an excuse for their lack of understanding.

I was getting ready for a trip to lake Powell with my husband. I went to my parents house to pick up something and my sister saw me in my bikinii top and capris. She said "quit sucking your gut in." I looked at her and said "I'm not." She replied "No woman's stomach could be so flat. Eat something!" My husband said "she works very hard for her abs and eats plenty of food. Her abs are flat all the time, she doesn't have to suck it in." Then she said "well then she is obsessed about her looks and should see a psychiatrist!"
I had nothing to say to her because she is roughly 40 lbs over weight. Maybe I was an inspiration because the following week she was doing one of my old "Firm" videos she found in a box. She couldn't finish it but I try to encourage her to keep putting forth a consistant effort and she will be able to finish a workout.

I have been working out with Cathe for 12 years and I have received my share of nasty comments. I had an ex boyfriend tell me my arms were too buff and that I should quit lifting and get my boobs done. I was shocked! First of all my arms have a nice fit tone to them. I don't look like a body builder. Second, I would look out of proportion if I got my boobs done. I looked at him and said "Not ever going to happen." He was just jealous that I could do more push ups than him and he was ex military.

I think I am at a healthy BMI and have an adequate intake of vital nutrients. I eat almost 6 times a day and workout 6 times a week with Cathe videos. So I just don't let what people say bother me. I know I'm healthy and I am "kind to my body" as Cathe says.

was getting ready for a trip to lake Powell with my husband. I went to my parents house to pick up something and my sister saw me in my bikinii top and capris. She said "quit sucking your gut in." I looked at her and said "I'm not." She replied "No woman's stomach could be so flat. Eat something!" My husband said "she works very hard for her abs and eats plenty of food. Her abs are flat all the time, she doesn't have to suck it in." Then she said "well then she is obsessed about her looks and should see a psychiatrist!"

See now that's just so wrong! Why do people think it's okay to say such mean spirited things to fit people yet God forbid a fit person should make a remark to someone who is overweight/unfit and it's like they just killed someone!? :confused::rolleyes: Makes me sick! :mad:

On the flip side of this is someone like me....there are a few ladies at work who are obviously really fit - great arm definition, etc., and I'd love to ask them what they do - if they hit the gym or workout at home.

But....I'm on the shy side and would have no idea how to start that conversation without sounding like a weirdo.

Plus I've seen some women at the grocery store with just outrageous "guns" and I always want to say "nice work!" to them but again....fear of weirdo-ness.

This is semi-related to the other thread that Janie started about slowing down and the passionate discussion of what others might be going through.

Navigating the world out there in public...is just fraught with danger. And I know this really, really well because I'm the mother of two special needs kids with invisible disabilities. One more "different'' than the other. It's normal for me for my son to roam around talking to himself....but it looks odd and he garners his share of looks. Even when he's in a good space he still acts much younger than his size and apparent maturity level.

So, I'm hyper-sensitive on both sides of this one. The only thing I could say for sure is that if I ever spotted someone out in the world sporting Cathe-wear I'd probably smile at them and say "work,work!"

I also wear an extra small on top

I am just on some book-reading websites, because I read a great deal, and I have a few photos of myself. I have my own board on one of them, and I received a very nasty private message from somebody on the site. I think she had posted about fitness books, and I chimed in. I did not answer her private message, but I had met this woman in person at one of the book meetings, and I think she must weigh 275 pounds. I would never attack a person because of his or her overweight, but I did not go to that meeting again.

67 percent of the American population is overweight, and 33 percent is obese. I never tell my neighbor she is fat, although she is about 4'11 and close to 200 pounds. I think it is very rude to made comments like that.

That is awful, fit mommy

I also have a totally flat stomach after having two children, and I don't suck it in. In fact, it is concave. It is none of anybody's business about your stomach. I would not even say a word if a woman had a huge gut over a bikini bottom.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.