Negative attitude/comments regarding health & fitness

Interesting thread. I have so many stories, but am sure there is a character limit on posts!

It totally makes my day when someone mentions my effort. However, the only people that seem to notice my effort are those who touch me. And since I don't make it a habit of letting others touch me, I don't get many compliments. However, when my guy or doctor or massage therapist mentions that I have great muscle tone and to keep doing what I am doing, it makes my day. My guy the other day was talking at the Christmas party and didn't know I overheard him talking about me - he was telling a group of people that I am a machine when it comes to working out and he is in awe of me. It meant so much.

I will get someone mentioning my fitness when they see me flex, but again, since I don't make it a habit of flexing, I don't get too many mentions. People will notice when I pick up something heavy or am just naturally flexing muscles (hiking, going up stairs, tubing, water skiing, laughing, doing natural movements). I am super skinny (so I have been rudely told my entire life) and therefore I believe people think I am about to break in half and can't carry more than a purse. When they see muscle, they are surprised.

When people do mention that I "don't have to work out" or "watch what I eat" I always correct them I do both and how hard I work at both. I just don't want people (mainly women) thinking I float through life fit without any effort. Sure, I bet if I stopped working out or watching what I eat I would probably still be skinny (same weight), but I would NOT be fit and I know it and tell people.

I remember about 5 years ago my girlfriend had a personal trainer and asked if I wanted to do a complimentary session with her at her gym. I said yes. After our warm-up, he had us each grab 1 lb pink dumbbells to do bicep curls. I thought that was odd since we were done warming up but figured it was a warm-up extension. I realized the bicep curls were our actual workout, so I told him "hang on, I can lift heavier weight". I grabbed two 25 lb dumbbells and he said there was no way I could lift those. He actually said that! I did the reps without issue. Then we moved to chest flys and he still had my friend use the 1 lb dumbbells while I told him I could do two 25lb dumbbells. He told me that was too heavy and that I would fatigue my muscles. I asked him "isn't that the point?" This went on the entire hour. I realize he didn't know me, it was a complimentary session, but he didn't even try to push me and when he saw that I could lift heavier - way heavier than 1 lb - he seemingly tried to talk me out of it. He was unable to recognize my current fitness level at the time and build off of that - it was as if he assumed all girls should and could only lift the 1 lb dumbbells (for some that is plenty, but he should have recognized for me it wasn't and not try to discourage me). I told my friend a few times in the workout she should push herself and try a little heavier (5, 8, 10 lb?) and he interrupted and would say "careful, you can bulk up", as if that was a bad thing.

My girlfriend later asked if I was interested in always doing sessions with her and the trainer. I politely told her no and to be honest I think he was doing her a disservice. She is much stronger than he or she thinks and she should push herself more (she and I have the same body type, and I could tell by all the chit chatting and lack of sweat the 1 lb dumbbells weren't doing a thing for her fitness). She told me this guy told her that all women need is very light resistance for fitness and anything heavier than what he recommends would bulk us up. Again, I don't think that is a bad thing! However, I did tell her "Look at me - I was lifting 25 times heavier than you per arm - do I look 'bulked up'"?

I don't know why others are so interested in others' bodies anyway! Why do people think it is acceptable to remark on my body? I get a lot of skinny jokes / mentions and have all my life. It is usually coupled with why do I work out, why do I watch what I eat. My grandmother mentioned to me about 5 years ago "you are as skinny as you were in high school!" but it was in a negative tone. WHY IS IT NOT OK TO BE HEALTHY? WHY IS IT NOT ACCEPTABLE TO GO THROUGH LIFE WITHOUT GAINING A TON OF OR ANY WEIGHT? I would never say "Gee, grandma, you have gained at least 100 lbs since high school!" Or when people mention to me not to pick something up since I will break in half, I don't think it is acceptable to reply not to sit in that chair or you will break the chair in half. (and I believe I know the difference between an innocent remark about my body composition versus the remarks made in disgust or a judgmental way).

I could go on and on, but won't.

I remember about 5 years ago my girlfriend had a personal trainer and asked if I wanted to do a complimentary session with her at her gym. I said yes. After our warm-up, he had us each grab 1 lb pink dumbbells to do bicep curls. I thought that was odd since we were done warming up but figured it was a warm-up extension. I realized the bicep curls were our actual workout, so I told him "hang on, I can lift heavier weight". I grabbed two 25 lb dumbbells and he said there was no way I could lift those. He actually said that! I did the reps without issue. Then we moved to chest flys and he still had my friend use the 1 lb dumbbells while I told him I could do two 25lb dumbbells.

@Gobias LOL:D:D I honestly love this paragraph of yours, not that I do not believe your quote! In fact I believe you. Before I finish reading your quote I literally jumped off my chair Lol and said Oh B...Hell...Do personnal trainers really believe that someone would get out his/her own house just to lift less than 5 pounds ...Honestly:eek::oops::oops: Grrrr

Last edited:
My girlfriend later asked if I was interested in always doing sessions with her and the trainer. I politely told her no and to be honest I think he was doing her a disservice. She is much stronger than he or she thinks and she should push herself more (she and I have the same body type, and I could tell by all the chit chatting and lack of sweat the 1 lb dumbbells weren't doing a thing for her fitness). She told me this guy told her that all women need is very light resistance for fitness and anything heavier than what he recommends would bulk us up. Again, I don't think that is a bad thing! However, I did tell her "Look at me - I was lifting 25 times heavier than you per arm - do I look 'bulked up'"?

To say the least, I would not even recommend her trainer to anyone!:)

Last edited:
To say the least, I would not even recommend her trainer to anyone!:)

Did your friend keep going to this trainer? I can only imagine someone else doing this as well: lifting 1 lb weights for weeks on end, then wondering why she isn't seeing the results she thought she would. Then she'll just chalk it up to that catch-all called "genetics" and think she can't change anything about her body.

I also don't understand why people have to make comments about other people's bodies. Because being overweight is so prevalent now, people just feel that you should put on weight as you age; that's what happens and they just accept it. I refuse to let that happen to me, primarily for health reasons (but also aesthetics). Heart disease and diabetes run in my family and all of the women are overweight and struggling with various ailments. Yet they still haven't made the connection between what they eat, how active they are, and their overall health. I am the only woman in my family not overweight. In fact, I'm continually surprised by the number of people who fail to make the connection or at least understand that they have more power than they think in terms of their own health and fitness (and yes, I do realize that there are health conditions that make weight loss difficult).

Our metabolism does slow down as we age and if you don't adjust your eating, weight gain could become a problem. However, I feel like strength training has really been the key to revving up my metabolism as I age. I can say that once I started lifting weights 3 times a week, my metabolism shot through the roof. I am now eating about what I ate when I was rowing in my 20s and I'm the same size I was back then. If I don't eat a certain amount of food each day, I actually lose weight. I've become such a big fan of strength training as a result, especially because it will pay dividends in protecting my bones as I get older. The only drawback is the amount of money I've had to spend on smaller clothes!

My girlfriend DID continue to use this guy for a little while, then finally stopped. In fact to this day, I have a picture of her "lifting" a pink 1 lb dumbbell at the gym as her phone picture. We both laugh about it. He also would have her do "ball roll-ins" for core strength, but they were such a joke, I don't even know how to explain it.

Funny thing is, when we stand side by side, you would think we had about the same body/fitness (both tall and thin). However, we used to work together and I could lift things no problem, move things around, walk up and down ramps, stairs, around the facility - all while talking and it did not affect me. She would be out of breath and couldn't lift some boxes. That is where you really could see the difference. (And this was not a manual labor job - this was just moving stuff around for our everyday ordinary job). She would ask me what I did for exercise since I didn't go to the gym (side note - it is amazing the number of times I tell people I don't belong to a gym and they automatically assume I never ever exercise, or the exercises I do are a joke). I told her all about my Cathe collection and gave her some videos to borrow. Unfortunately, she just didn't take to it and went back to the gym where she does endless treadmill/elliptical work once a week - and that is it. Then complains about the lack of results. I think many people (I was one of them!) who had it ingrained in their head that monotonous endless cardio was the way to go for us women. At this rate, she may be better off picking up that 1 lb dumbbell!

@poachedsalmon: I have about the same story as you - Diabetes, Heart Disease, arthritis, obesity, bad knees/joints, etc. run in my family or circle of friends. Yet they are the ones critiquing my way of eating and exercising! I just had visitors in town and my goodness, they were unable to do practically anything! I even toned it way down and planned what I thought were very very easy activities (basically walking and shopping) - they were unable. I am talking the distance of less than a block - I had to go and get the car. Yet then I drove to a requested restaurant so they could "rest" and eat another meal (after just eating one...) and proceeded to critique me since I didn't order anything from the restaurant. (We had JUST eaten about 90 minutes prior a full meal and did nothing to burn off energy to become hungry). Interestingly, before the visitors left, they remarked they hadn't done that much exercise since they were teenagers. I was honestly taken aback since it seems that all we did was sit (and walk from one sitting place to another).

I just thought it would be a sad way for ME to live. I honestly believe these particular people could change this 100% with a clean diet and a little movement. And I really believe they want to since all they do is complain about their ailments. (of course they complain about my lack of ailments, so not sure what that is about). I just always try to talk very very positive about my way of eating and exercising - I say how nice it is to have found exercises that are truly fun, challenging, motivating and leave me feeling accomplished. I describe my meals as tasting so much better than the processed stuff I used to eat and they are easier to make. I can honestly say I never sigh and say/think "damn....I have to go do a Cathe (or any) workout". Yet the majority of my friends always sigh and complain about having to do yet another 2 hour treadmill run. (not that there is anything inherently wrong with a treadmill, just that there are so many exercise variations out there, certainly everyone can find one that is fun for them). And when I tell them many cardio or weight sessions can be done in about 20-40 min, they are taken aback. I just hope someday my passion on health rubs off on someone else. And they quit criticizing me....

My girlfriend DID continue to use this guy for a little while, then finally stopped. In fact to this day, I have a picture of her "lifting" a pink 1 lb dumbbell at the gym as her phone picture:D. We both laugh about it. He also would have her do "ball roll-ins" for core strength, but they were such a joke, I don't even know how to explain it.

:D:D This is making me laugh my tears out!

Nathalie,

I am laughing as I type this. What makes the picture even more funny is she was being silly and grunting and moaning while lifting the 1 lb weight (It was a side shoulder raise). She was making funny noises and right when the picture was snapped, she was screaming "YEAH!!!", so her face in the picture is hilarious. And you can see on the side of the pink weight the number "1".

Awe come on I have a pair of little orange 2 pounders that I use for dreambody workouts and I have to throw them down cause I get too fatigued lol! I detest endless reps to get the burn so I rarely do these workouts. I love my heavy weights like you guys do. That's a hilarious story Gobias.
Jamie

That's pretty funny! It reminds me a of a guy we have in our boot camp class. He's a big ol' strong guy... probably weighs 250 lbs, very strong. Whenever we have kettlebells as one of our stations, he picks up the 5 lber and swings it. It's hilarious looking. I've seen this guy swing 90 lbs or more!

On a related note, I usually swing the 50 lber. That's about as heavy as I want to go. The other night there was a husband and wife participating in the class. She's about my size and he's pretty strong and tall. She picked up the 50 lb kettlebell, as did I. When it was his turn, we looked over there and he was swinging a 30 lber. Needless to say she and I gave him a very hard time about that! :)

It's hard to explain to people that continuous cardio isn't always going to get the job done. It seems to me, the majority of the time in my gym, I see the fitter, leaner people on the weight machines, and the heavier people on the cardio machines. That's not to say that cardio isn't good, quite the opposite, but I really wish some of those endless cardio people would pick up a weight.

Regarding getting others (non-exercisers) to come over to our "way of life", it doesn't always work that way. You can't make somebody do something they don't want to do. Everybody has to help themselves, and make the decision to want to be healthy and fit. I try my best not to talk about my lifestyle. If someone asks, and is genuinely interested, I will tell them. Otherwise, I just go about my business quietly.

That's pretty funny! It reminds me a of a guy we have in our boot camp class. He's a big ol' strong guy... probably weighs 250 lbs, very strong. Whenever we have kettlebells as one of our stations, he picks up the 5 lber and swings it. It's hilarious looking. I've seen this guy swing 90 lbs or more!

On a related note, I usually swing the 50 lber. That's about as heavy as I want to go. The other night there was a husband and wife participating in the class. She's about my size and he's pretty strong and tall. She picked up the 50 lb kettlebell, as did I. When it was his turn, we looked over there and he was swinging a 30 lber. Needless to say she and I gave him a very hard time about that! :)

It's hard to explain to people that continuous cardio isn't always going to get the job done. It seems to me, the majority of the time in my gym, I see the fitter, leaner people on the weight machines, and the heavier people on the cardio machines. That's not to say that cardio isn't good, quite the opposite, but I really wish some of those endless cardio people would pick up a weight.

Regarding getting others (non-exercisers) to come over to our "way of life", it doesn't always work that way. You can't make somebody do something they don't want to do. Everybody has to help themselves, and make the decision to want to be healthy and fit. I try my best not to talk about my lifestyle. If someone asks, and is genuinely interested, I will tell them. Otherwise, I just go about my business quietly.

I just had a similar experience with someone a couple of months ago. She was complaining that she had gained weight and couldn't understand why she wasn't losing even though she was doing more running. I told her to think about strength training. Her eyes glazed over at that point. I had a neighbor ask me what I was doing for exercise this summer when she saw my legs and arms. I sent her a email with some links to Cathe and old Firm workouts. She's an outdoor runner, but has done some Beachbody workouts, so she might take my advice.

So if someone asks, I'll tell them what I'm doing, but otherwise I just go about my own business. It's hard to keep quiet when I see a co-worker complaining about weight and see that this person's diet (at least during work hours) is nothing but processed food, refined carbs, constant grazing....

I just had a similar experience with someone a couple of months ago. She was complaining that she had gained weight and couldn't understand why she wasn't losing even though she was doing more running.

I always wonder how come after a long time trial striving to gain a result from a training protocol ---running, one's mind would not
click to the point of changing habits! I always think if I am approaching an issue in a certain way and I am NOT getting what I
want, logically--- instinctly I would change my approach dealing with it. May be people are just different:cool::rolleyes:.

If one is not happy about something, he or she will need to do something. Should it be opting for a different approach, a different training genre, let be it!:):)

So if someone asks, I'll tell them what I'm doing, but otherwise I just go about my own business. It's hard to keep quiet when I see a co-worker complaining about weight and see that this person's diet (at least during work hours) is nothing but processed food, refined carbs, constant grazing....

I too have sent cathe's link though e-mail. I do not mention till I get asked what I do:):) somehow I do get asked how I workout,
not what I eat!

As to highlighted above, without judging---That is enough to get a clue about the person diet.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.