Skin care in your 40's

lulu68

Cathlete
Hi!

I will be turning 43 in a few weeks (Yikes)!!! Over all I have excellent skin texture no visible wrinkles and often told I look like I'm in my mid 20's!! :) As far as skin care routine I keep it very simple- daily cleanser (image skin care) daily moistirizer (age defying moistirizer with spf 15 by olay) and exfoliate twice a week with (Saint Ivys papaya) As I'm getting older is thr certain ingredients I should be looking at when selecting skin care products? I'm noticing that my skin is looking a little dull. Is it better to go to get your skin care from a dermatoligist or over the counter skin care? What is your skin care routine-I would love to hear and what are your favorite products? Thanks!!!

I'll be 50 on July 1 and I'm often told I look 15-20 years younger. Like you, I don't have much if any visible skin damage. I have always used a high SPF sunscreen on my face (starting with an SPF 8 in my early 20's which is what was available then; currently I use anywhere from SPF 40 to 60). As I get older I find I need more exfoliation for my skin to look bright. I like the "Vegetal Peeling" cream from Phytomer - it's very gentle (enzymes dissolve and remove the dead skin cells, which I much prefer over scrubs) and is available from my local spa/salon. Other than that, I use drug store brands to cleanse and moisturize. I cleanse and moisturize twice daily, exfoliate twice weekly, apply my sunscreen 3-4 times daily, and hardly ever wear make-up so my routine is pretty quick.

Stebby

. I like the "Vegetal Peeling" cream from Phytomer - it's very gentle (enzymes dissolve and remove the dead skin cells, which I much prefer over scrubs) and is available from my local spa/salon.

Stebby

Hi Stebby

Did a dermatologist recommend using the phytomer product? I have never heard of that and am curious. Sounds like you have a nice routine going! Good question lulu...I would love to hear more from others. I have always used ponds moisturizer but have switched to image and Vital C which I love! A little goes a LONG way and it lasts!!!

Right now I'm using skin care products from Avon for people in their 40's. So far so good. I like them. They are part of the ANEW line.

Hi Stebby

Did a dermatologist recommend using the phytomer product? I have never heard of that and am curious. Sounds like you have a nice routine going! Good question lulu...I would love to hear more from others. I have always used ponds moisturizer but have switched to image and Vital C which I love! A little goes a LONG way and it lasts!!!

Hi Jessica, no, actually it was recommended by an esthetician! I had tried all kinds of scrub products (which irritate my skin) and gommages (which are too much time and work) and complained to her - so she recommended the Phytomer product which you just apply and leave on for a few minutes to do its work.

Stebby

Hi lulu68!

I will be 40 in a few weeks and just recently switched from a glycolic acid cleanser to plain, old, drugstore-brand cold cream. And my skin has never looked better!

Stebby - I'm going to check out that Phytomer Vegetal Peeling product, though. Thanks for the suggestion!

I'm with Cathe on the Clarisonic!! And I use all Origins skin care products. They have a number of cleansers and moisturizers to meet your specific needs (my personal fav is the Checks and Balances cleanser). Love them! I am turning 45 this year and am regularly told I look in my early 30s.

I bought Clarisonic and never looked back. It makes my skin so smooth and clean. I like it so much I am posting a link to it:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...74151.desc.Clarisonic-Facial-Cleansing-System

In addition to using my clarisonic facial cleansing unit, I go to a dermatologist for my skin care products since they are very familiar with my sensitive skin and can suggest the proper products for me.

Thanks for posting Cathe & NY25: now I know what I'm going to ask for for my birthday...:cool:

I used to have something similar back in the day. I can't believe I'm old enough to use that phrase...:eek:

Thank you all. Everytime I view or read something about skin care in your 40's I hear the word Retinal and how important it is to use ths when your in your 40's and up. Do any of the products recomended in ths forum have retinol? For all you ladies that have posted your favorite skin care, do you follow a daily skin care regime for morning, and night? I've heard great things about the clarosonic I have my 21st anniversary coming up maybe I I'll treat myselft to one. @ Cathe-is going to a dermatoligist expensive or anyone else who gets skin care products for dermatoligist? Thank you!

Thank you all. Everytime I view or read something about skin care in your 40's I hear the word Retinal and how important it is to use ths when your in your 40's and up. Do any of the products recomended in ths forum have retinol? For all you ladies that have posted your favorite skin care, do you follow a daily skin care regime for morning, and night? I've heard great things about the clarosonic I have my 21st anniversary coming up maybe I I'll treat myselft to one. @ Cathe-is going to a dermatoligist expensive or anyone else who gets skin care products for dermatoligist? Thank you!

I asked my dermatologist about retinol about a year ago because I had also read the same thing...I'm 43. She prescribed it for me so that's what I've been using. It can really make your skin flake and peel though so I only used it once a week at first, then twice a week and built up to nightly use gradually. I'm not sure that it's really any better than the retinol products you can get OTC, but it does seem to have helped w/ the dullness.

For day I use SPF moisturizer and a Burt's Bees scrub twice a week that is really gentle. I'm going to check out these other products everyone has mentioned. Great post...thanks everyone!

www.makeupartistschoice.com has some nice products for aging skin.

You might want to try a glycolic peel (a series of weekly peels for 6 weeks, for example, with 1-2 a month for maintenance).

You also might want to consider bumping up the SPF to 25 or 30 (and sticking with an SPF lotion that is rated as 1 or maybe 2 by the EWG www.ewg.org ).

I will be 43 in a few months, and I use the Obagi Nu-Derm system. It incorporates Retinol as one of the steps. I use the Obagi products (including the Retinol) 3 times a week, and just use Olay Regenerist Microsculpting Cream on the other days for moisture. I am very pleased with the Obagi system, and it definitely got rid of the "dull skin" issue. I am usually a "natural product" person, but the Retinol works so well for me that I can't resist.

Good luck!

Deborah

Oh how I love my clarisonic!! My face feels as smooth as glass when I have finished the 1 minute cleansing cycle. I have been using Philosophy products for years, first to clear up my troubled complexion and now to keep everything moisturized and fresh as I power through menopause. I am 50 and have been told many times I look much younger.
I use Purity cleanser with my clarisonic morning and night, followed by miracle worker serum and moisturizer. Sunscreen is a must and when I wear makeup I use bare minerals.

In addition to my other products I also use Philosophy products and love how pure they are. Great for my sensitive skin. Their cleansers work perfectly with my Clarisonic too.

Oh how I love my clarisonic!! My face feels as smooth as glass when I have finished the 1 minute cleansing cycle. I have been using Philosophy products for years, first to clear up my troubled complexion and now to keep everything moisturized and fresh as I power through menopause. I am 50 and have been told many times I look much younger.
I use Purity cleanser with my clarisonic morning and night, followed by miracle worker serum and moisturizer. Sunscreen is a must and when I wear makeup I use bare minerals.

Hi LULU! The office has an esthetician on site that sells the products and administers the services. I find the skin care products to be within $5 of the OTC brands. But it is microdermabrasions and glycolic peel services that run really high. I do those services a couple of times a year in conjunction with my daily skin care routine which include products that have Retinol and hyaluronic acid.

:)

I bought Clarisonic and never looked back. It makes my skin so smooth and clean. I like it so much I am posting a link to it:

http://www.qvc.com/qic/qvcapp.aspx/...74151.desc.Clarisonic-Facial-Cleansing-System

In addition to using my clarisonic facial cleansing unit, I go to a dermatologist for my skin care products since they are very familiar with my sensitive skin and can suggest the proper products for me.

I have been SO on the fence about getting a Clarisonic, I've been hesitant because I have such sensitive skin. Thanks for the link Cathe, you look so awesome and I've wondered what your regime is in conjunction with all that physical activity. My skin looks the best after a good workout, but I think I will ask for this for Mom's Day.

Ditto on the Clarisonic ... add to that, drinking plenty of water and eating more veggies (green smoothies are great for this).

Those things make all the difference for me, and let me skip the expensive skin care products (baby-safe lotion is just fine for my sensitive skin).

Hi LULU! The office has an esthetician on site that sells the products and administers the services. I find the skin care products to be within $5 of the OTC brands. But it is microdermabrasions and glycolic peel services that run really high. I do those services a couple of times a year in conjunction with my daily skin care routine which include products that have Retinol and hyaluronic acid.

:)

Thanks Cathe for your input its greatly appriciated!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.