Fitnessfreak's January 2009 Rotation

This rotation is a combo of building muscle but more importantly, losing body fat. I know we've all indulged way too much during the holidays so this rotation should get us back on track.

I will be doing another checkin so those of you who want to join me, please do!!! We will keep each other motivated. The thread will be daily and I will name it "Fitnessfreak's January Rotation for 'DATE'" just like the December rotation was done. This rotation will start on December 29th.

I'm doing a 3 day split this time with 3 days of cardio. This workout is aimed for both Endo and Mesomorph's. Ectomorphs need to cut the cardio way back. Take two rest days instead of one and only do cardio for 2 hours a week.

Average workout time is approximately an hour a day.

Here we go....

WEEK 1
Dec. 29: Pyramid Chest work then Muscle Max Chest work; Pyramid Tricep work then Muscle Max Tricep work; PUB Abs
Dec. 30: Step & Hi/Lo Cardio Circuite premix from Step Blast & Step, Jump & Pump premix or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Dec. 31: Pyramid Back work then MM Back work; Pyramid Bicep work then MM Bicep work.
Jan. 01: Kick Max or 60 minutes cardio of choice. If KM has ab work, don't do it unless you feel you need it.
Jan. 02: Pyramid Shoulder work then MM Shoulder work; Pyramid Leg workout but no floor work; Calves from 4DS Shoulder DVD.
Jan. 03: BM2 Cardio Blast premix or 60 minutes cardio of choice; BM2 abs
Jan. 04: REST!

WEEK 2
Jan. 05: Pure Strength Back work then BM2 Back work; PS Bicep work then BM2 Bicep work.
Jan. 06: Low Max intervals 1-4 premix or 45 minutes cardio of choice; Step, Jump & Pump ab work.
Jan. 07: PS Chest work then BM2 Chest work but pushup's only; PS Shoulder work then BM2 Shoulder work but skip the military presses; PS Tricep work then BM2 Tricep work but skip the dips.
Jan. 08: Step Blast or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Jan. 09: PS Legs & Abs.
Jan. 10: 4DS Cardio Power premix from 4DS Kickbox/Bootcamp premix.
Jan. 11: REST!!

WEEK 3
Jan. 12: Pyramid Chest work **rest** and do it again but UP only then do the 72 drop set of pushups in GS Chest; Pyramid Triceps work **rest** and do it again but UP only then do the Close Grip Presses from GS Chest; KP&C ab work.
Jan. 13: Imax 2 or 3 or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Jan. 14: Pyramid Back work **rest** and do it again but UP only then do the T-Back Squeeze exercise from GS Back; Pyramid Biceps work **rest** and do it again but UP only then do the Curl-up, Reverse-down exercise from GS Biceps; Pyramid Shoulder work **rest** and do it again but UP only then do the Overhead Presses from GS Shoulders.
Jan. 15: DrillMax Scrambled Cardio Blast premix or 45 minutes cardio of choice; Any 4DS ab work.
Jan. 16: Pyramid Lower Body - entire workout.
Jan. 17: Step Blast or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Jan. 18: REST!!!

WEEK 4
Jan. 19: PS Chest, Shoulder & Triceps - Add one extra set to any 2 set exercise.
Jan. 20: Kick, Punch & Crunch or 60 minutes cardio of choice. Do ab work from KP&C.
Jan. 21: PS Back & Biceps - Add one extra set to any 2 set exercise.
Jan. 22: Imax 3 or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Jan. 23: PS Legs & Abs
Jan. 24: Low Max or 60 minutes cardio of choice.
Jan. 25: REST!!!!

Have fun with this!!! I think it will be challenging. Hope you all don't mind the mixes from one workout series to another.

Last edited:
I'm in! :eek:

I love the Pyramids. I don't have PS. Can I substitute with Gym Styles, or is PS different enough for me to consider adding to my collection?

Hi Debbie,

I really enjoyed your December rotation and really want to follow this one too. I have a question though. I am planning on joining a gym right after the new year, for a few months. Mostly I'm just looking for a change and time for myself to workout without the interruptions I tend to get at home. My question is, would it be ok, if I split the cardio from the weights. I am an endomorph, so I figure more cardio shouldnt necessarily hurt me. What are your thoughts on this?

This rotation looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Thanks and a question

Debbie-

Thank you very much for putting this rotation together. It looks great, and its clear you put a lot of thought into it. I enjoyed your December rotation immensely. I will *try* to do the check-ins with you this time.

My question: I am an ectomorph, but have put on some weight/body fat over the holidays, and would like to lose about 5 pounds of fat. Should I follow your suggested modifications for ectos, or should I follow the rotation as written until I get back to my goal weight. Thanks in advance - your advice will be most appreciated.

Oh boy, i can't wait to get started with this rotation. i just finished your december rotation a half hour ago. If I don't have Pure strength what would you suggest I use?

Veronika

Ok, I've been debating about January, but after looking this over - I'm in! I had gained a few pounds back around November and then I got a lot stronger, but still have the pounds, well I haven't weighed, but I know they are still there. LOL So, this looks good for me.

I'll join the group without PS though, so I guess I'll be using the GS for that.

Looks interesting...I'm in too! No PS here, so I'll be with the others that will have to use GS, or is there a better option?

Debbie - I also do not own pure strength. I do have all of Cathe's other weight workouts. Let me know which one would be best for replacing PS. Thanks!

BTW, I just REALLY looked at the rotation closely....I thought last month was challenging...this month will be worse! (I mean better!) :)

BTW, I just REALLY looked at the rotation closely....I thought last month was challenging...this month will be worse! (I mean better!) :)

Fitvix..."will be worse"...this made me laugh! I love a good challenge but I know there were times when I was cursing Debbie w/December's rotation :D ...Debbie, ya know I mean that in the nicest of ways!!!!!! :p

Looking forward to January's rotation....looks great!

Fitnessfreak's January Rotation 2009

Hi Debbie and gang!

Thanks so much for putting together this rotation, it looks like a fun challenge. I'm looking forward to starting it!:D

I had just one question what is BM? I don't know what that is an abbreviation for. Please enlighten me oh learned and wise one(s).

Thanks again for a awesome rotation and here's to wishing everyone a Happy, Healthy, and Fit new year!

Thanks for doing this Debbie! I loved your December rotation but I was out of town for the last week so I never got to finish. I'm so glad all the Christmas stuff is over because I feel so gross. (Can I blame my mother for making all of those yummy cookies? She put a bib around my neck and force fed them to me. Ha Ha) Yesterday was my last party and I am READY! I really need the extra day of cardio, too. After this month I will be ready for STS.

I'm in! :eek:

I love the Pyramids. I don't have PS. Can I substitute with Gym Styles, or is PS different enough for me to consider adding to my collection?

See below for PS answer.

Hi Debbie,

I really enjoyed your December rotation and really want to follow this one too. I have a question though. I am planning on joining a gym right after the new year, for a few months. Mostly I'm just looking for a change and time for myself to workout without the interruptions I tend to get at home. My question is, would it be ok, if I split the cardio from the weights. I am an endomorph, so I figure more cardio shouldnt necessarily hurt me. What are your thoughts on this?

This rotation looks great. Thanks for sharing it with us :)

Iris, I don't understand what you mean? This rotation breaks up cardio and weights.

Debbie-

Thank you very much for putting this rotation together. It looks great, and its clear you put a lot of thought into it. I enjoyed your December rotation immensely. I will *try* to do the check-ins with you this time.

My question: I am an ectomorph, but have put on some weight/body fat over the holidays, and would like to lose about 5 pounds of fat. Should I follow your suggested modifications for ectos, or should I follow the rotation as written until I get back to my goal weight. Thanks in advance - your advice will be most appreciated.

Sure, just do it "as is". When you get to goal, either continue or drop a cardio session.

Oh boy, i can't wait to get started with this rotation. i just finished your december rotation a half hour ago. If I don't have Pure strength what would you suggest I use?

Veronika

See below for PS answer.

Debbie,

I don't have PS can I use either GS or CTX or Slow and heavy?

See below for PS answer.

Looks interesting...I'm in too! No PS here, so I'll be with the others that will have to use GS, or is there a better option?

See below for PS answer.

Debbie - I also do not own pure strength. I do have all of Cathe's other weight workouts. Let me know which one would be best for replacing PS. Thanks!

See below...

Ok, those of you who don't have PS series. We have a week until we get to that so if you have the funds for it, I suggest purchasing it. It is a good series to have to break up the monotony with GS and S&H. I feel if you go heavy enough with PS, you can get some great results.

If you can't afford it, I am going to type up the breakdown of each PS workout. You can follow it and just play some kick @ss music while you're doing it since Cathe won't be in the background talking to you. I hope I'm aloud to post this breakdown. I'll post it next.

Iris, I don't understand what you mean? This rotation breaks up cardio and weights.[/B]

Sorry Debbie, I don't think I explained my question correctly. What I mean is say on a weight-lifting day, would it be too much cardio if I also took a cardio class at the gym? They offer kickboxing, dance classes, etc. I would still be following the weight-lifting routine as written, but would it be too much cardio if I added in a 60 minute class on the same day as weight-lifting?

Thanks for your help.

Again, I suggest you buy this series, it is worth the cost. Some of the exercises are unique and hard to explain. I did my best here.

Cathe rests quite a bit in between each exercise for each workout. I suggest resting about 30-60 seconds.

PURE STRENGTH - BACK, BICEPS AND ABS

BACK
Cathe uses HS w/7 risers
T-Bar Rows w/u – 16 reps/Single counts
***Use light weights for w/u. To do a T-Bar row, use a barbell. Place it in a corner to stabilize it, load up other end with weights. Get a towel and wrap it around the bar to use as a handle. Straddle the bar, grab the towel ends and pull the bar into your navel area. Feel the work in your lats.
T-Bar Rows – 3 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Up the weights.
Bent over Barbell Rows – 3 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***1st set underhand, 2nd set overhand, 3rd set underhand grips.
One Arm Row – 3 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Lean on HS w/7 risers to do this.
Dumbbell Shrugs – 2 sets/20 reps/Single counts
***Use moderate to heavy weights.

BICEPS
Cathe uses HS w/7 risers
Barbell Curl – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Go heavy.
Seated Alternating Hammer Curls – 20 reps total/Single counts
***Sit on HS w/7 risers.
Seated Alternating Hammer Curls w/Twist – 24 reps total/Single counts
***Twist weight at the top of the movement.
Barbell Negative Curls – 2 sets/10 reps/Up 1 count, down 4 counts
***Regular barbell curls, just different counts.
Concentration Curls – 2 sets/12 reps/Single counts
***Sit on HS w/7 risers. Go heavy.

For ab work, just do something you like to do. It's too hard to describe what Cathe does for abs here.

PURE STRENGTH - CHEST, SHOULDERS AND TRICEPS

CHEST
Cathe uses the long step w/4 risers each side
Push ups off step – 2 sets/12 reps/Single counts
***4 risers, toes up on the step.
Barbell Bench Press w/u – 16 reps/Single counts
***Light weight.
Barbell Bench Press – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Increase weights.
Incline Barbell Bench Press – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Lower butt end to 2 risers.
Incline Dumbbell Press – 10 reps/Single counts
***Use heavy dumbbells.
Incline Dumbbell Flies – 10 reps/Single counts
***Use moderate dumbbells.
Incline Super Sets – 9 reps
***Use light/moderate dumbbells. Do a flye for 2/2 counts, go right into a dumbbell press, 2 reps single counts, Repeat 9 times.

SHOULDERS
Standing Arnold Press – 3 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Moderate to heavy weights. Palms face you, while bringing dumbbells up, rotate to where your palms will face out.
Seated Clean & Press – 2 sets/8 reps/Single counts
***Sit on Step, use light weights. Combo movement, do a front raise, bring hands into shoulder, then raise arms up and then arch the weight down to your hips. Repeat.
Standing Side Lateral Raises – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Long lever arms.
Reverse Flies – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Sit on Step to do these. Palms face step and movement is a "V" movement.
Seated Side Lateral Raises – 16 reps/Single counts
***Bent arm.

TRICEPS
Close Grip Dumbbell Press – 1 set/12 reps; 1 set/10; 1 set/8 reps/Single counts
***Lay back on Step. Palms face each other, hands should be positioned right below the breast.
Lying Tricep Dumbbell Extensions – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Moderate to heavy weights.
Cross Body Dumbbell Extensions – 2 sets/10 reps/Single counts
***Moderate to heavy weights.
Lying Tricep Dumbbell Extensions – 12 reps/Single counts
***Same as above.
Weighted Dips – 1 set/20 reps 1 set/24 reps/Single counts
***Place barbell in lap to do these.

PURE STRENGTH STRONG LEGS & ABS

STANDING LEG WORK
Cathe uses HS w/2-4 risers
Front/Back Lunges w/u – 8 reps each leg
***Use light weights and do 8 singles each let at a time. Do front lunges first and then do back lunges with each leg.
Front Lunges – 8 reps each leg
***Each lunge do a 3 ct. pulse. One leg at a time. Use heavy weights.
Back Lunges – 8 reps each leg
***Each lunge do a 3 ct. pulse. One leg at a time. Use heavy weights.
Barbell Static Lunges – 2 sets/16 reps
***Right leg back, do single counts. Left leg back, do single counts.
Plie Squats w/ Body Bar w/u – 22 reps
***Just use a barbell the Body Bar is stupid. This one is hard to explain. She is in a front squat position withe bar and she does plie squats going side to side. So you do one plie squat out to the right, then come up and go over to the left. If you don't understand, just do light weights here and do 22 reps for plie squats.
Plie Squats - 16 singles, 4 reps hold down 3 ctsn, up 1 ct., 8 singles
***Again, position barbell like a front squat. Use heavy weights.
Step Ups w/ 4 Risers – 2 sets/12 reps
***Usual Leg Press movement.
Squats - 16 singles, 4 reps hold down 3 ctsn, up 1 ct., 8 singles
***Barbell squats. Use heavy weights.
Sit & Stands w/ 6 Risers – 10 reps
***Do a squat over the HS, sit on the HS for a count of 2, lift up to right above the HS and count for 6, then stand up and do it again.
Qtr. Deadlifts - 2 sets/12 reps
***Slight bend in the knee, lower down, hold for 2 cts., then lift up. Repeat.
Calf Raises – 3 sets/32 fast reps
***Use a 2x4 or the HS topper.
FLOOR WORK
Inner Thigh Raises - 3 sets one leg at a time
***Use ankle weights if desire. 1 set 32 reps,slow single counts, rest 8 cts., 1 set 20 reps, slow single counts, rest 8 cts., 1 set 8 reps, slow single counts.
Outer Thigh Raises - 2 sets one let at a time
***Use ankle weights if desire. Lay in fetal position (kind of) and lift the leg up for 32 reps, rest 8 cnts., lift up again for 16 reps. Do other leg.
Hamstring Raises w/2 risers - 54 reps
***She has weight in her lap (BodyBar), both feet up on the HS. Lift and lower slow counts but not quite 2/2 ct. Toes up.
One Leg Hamstring Press w/2 risers - 64 fast reps each leg
***One leg in the air, other foot on HS with toe up.

For ab work, just do something you like to do. It's too hard to describe what Cathe does for abs here.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.