Workouts you just CAN'T get into

mini-natty

Cathlete
No contest, for me it's always been Pilates. I tried so many different instructors and video's. That form of exercise just does not float my boat. I gave away all my Pilates video's to the library.

A close runner up, is running (on a treadmill or outdoors). I love walking, hiking, biking, but running/jogging has a HUGE dread factor for me. Unless I am being chased by someone or something, running will remain on the back burner in my life (that may however change in 10 or 20 years years. I am fickle sometimes).

Also, any type of dance-style workouts just don't interest me. I feel silly doing them. So no Zumba or Hip Hop abs for this girl.

Thumbs Up:
weight training, kickboxing/boxing, step, Hiit, power Yoga, Cathe's Barre (I tried a few other's and did not really like them), circuit training, rebounding, stability ball

Last edited:
Turbo Jam. I am one of two people of the planet who never clicked with Chalene. There is too much camera mugging, shouting, and other nonsense. I only have the first set and I've always thought it was a Tae Bo rip-off.

Turbo Jam. I am one of two people of the planet who never clicked with Chalene. There is too much camera mugging, shouting, and other nonsense. I only have the first set and I've always thought it was a Tae Bo rip-off.

Ya, I forgot about that one!!! HATED Turbo Jam!!! My mother had a set from long ago, gave it to me, and then I donated those to the library too!! Chalene is not my cup of tea. Her and Denise Austin irritate me. Never again.

Funny, you mentioned Pilates. I got rid of a Pilates workout which I purchased partially this instructor was one of the "originals" and also from MI. Also, I have never experienced Zumba although I know a few that love it. Don't think I can move like that.
Also, not a runner. A friend stated he will only run if someone is chasing him and I agree with that.
My thumbs up: Walking, Biking, Spinning, Swimming, ice-skating, downhill skiing, step aerobics, kick box, weights, discs or slide n glide, stability ball, and high step.

JT, we like/dislike the same stuff!! I have yet to try skiing :eek:. On the top of my things to learn, that's for sure! Where do you go skiing? Have you ever been to Canada to ski? Blue Mountain (Collingwood) is absolutely beautiful. Only about 2 hours north of Toronto, but so worth the drive.

Ya, I forgot about that one!!! HATED Turbo Jam!!! My mother had a set from long ago, gave it to me, and then I donated those to the library too!! Chalene is not my cup of tea. Her and Denise Austin irritate me. Never again.

Same here!! I can tolerate TJ for the quick 20-min workout when I'm short on time but anything over that makes me want to puke! Denise Austin also irritates me, esp because it sounds like she's trying to be sexy while she's "instructing." UGH!! I also can't bring myself to get into anything by Jillian Michaels. I feel her workouts are very difficult to have decent form while performing the exercises.

Wow, this post made me really realize how awesome Cathe is. I'm very picky when it comes to home workouts, and I can say I don't despise any of hers!

mini-natty, I think if we ever met, we would have a blast.

My downhill skiing has been in northern MI mainly like Boyne Country (the mountain, the highlands, the old Thunder Mt and Walloon) plus Sugar Loaf, where I learned to race, and Shanty Creek.
As far as Ontario goes, my family members have skied SearchMont which advertises heavily in the northern MI/WI region because it's two hours north of Sault Ste Marie, MI and Ontario. My brothers love SearchMont.
My neighbor is from Markham, I would have to beg and plead for her to take me to
Blue Mountain.
My Yoga experience is from Astanga in college, much different than Yoga taught in US. Like Cathe's Yoga cause she opened my brain to new things.

I bought but could never get into the Bob Harper Inside Out Method work outs, P90X+ (even though I enjoyed the original P90X) or the Bosu Ball work outs.

I also have no interest in dance-based work outs. If I want to dance I will dance but when I want to do a work out it's something different!

I tried rebounding and enjoyed it for a very short time only. I don't miss it at all since I stopped doing it some time ago.

I tried twice to get into spin but I think I was trying to FORCE myself to enjoy when I really didn't. It's a good work out in terms of intensity which is why I kept going back to the class for as long as I did but I had to finally admit that I found absolutely no pleasure in doing it.

Pilates for me, too. I've always felt sorta guilty about it, too; because I know it would be good for my weak core.

Yoga. I really want to like yoga. Really, I just can't.

I liked Turbo Jam until I memorized everything Chalene was going to say. :confused:

Running. I've tried. My brother is an elite-class runner and is always trying to get me into it, but I just hate it. Regardless, every few years I buy a pair of running shoes and try "one more time" to no avail :D

I hate to admit it, but I really don't like kickboxing...I've tried to love it, but I just don't. I love boxing, like MMA boxing, though.

And although I haven't tried dance workouts like Zumba, I don't think I'd like that either. OTOH, I love spin, HiiT, bootcamp, etc. type workouts.

Yoga for me. I do yoga, but I REALLY don't like it. It's just too slow and boring. I continue to do it only because I feel so amazing limber and relaxed afterwards. I know it has many health benefits so I just suck it up and do it.

I like pilates. I'm surprised to see that so many of you don't like it.

I don't have Turbo Jam, but I like Turbofire.

Pilates for me as well. I have tried several instructor-led classes, and really tried to get into it, but I just don't get the moves. The breathing seems backwards to me, and the cues a lot of instructors give (like lifting your head up and over something when you roll forward) just don't make sense to me at all. I've tried some videos as well but have the same problem with them. I have friends who are hard-core Pilates devotees (they are the ones who took me to the instructor-led classes) but I always feel lost.

I also don't like running or jogging, either outside or on a treadmill.

On the other hand, I love Yoga, weight training, HIIT, Spinning, walking, cardio kickboxing, step aerobics, swimming and long walks. I can tolerate some cardio equipment (elliptical trainer, StairMaster and StepMill) but there's no fun factor - it's just to get cardio in when I don't have an easy alternative.

Stebby

I'm not really into Kickboxing either. I have tried several kickboxing DVDs and live classes, but I'm simply not connecting with it. :(

I really do not like cardio workouts on elliptical or treadmills anymore either. Now that I'm more active, I prefer indoor my cardio workouts in the form of a step workout, circuit or HIIT training.

Besides weight training with Cathe, I do like Pilates and have several DVDs in my collection. I also like yoga workouts too.

Cally

I was just thinking today that I must be the last person left that hasn't gotten into the kettlebell craze. Everything about swinging a weight around has me running for cover. I'm sure it gives great results but there's nothing about it that I find appealing.

for me

For Me it's kettlebels,pilates, and zuma.
When I preview the workouts I just can't connect with the instructors.

I still have my Firm collection which I'll never get rid of. But I Love my Cathe workouts!:D

Turbo Jam Turbo Fire---anything with Chalene. I did do a CLX rotation but Chalene drove me nuts!

Forgot to mention Kettlebells. It just always looks dangerous swinging that bell around. I have tried and decided it is not for me. An accident waiting to happen.

Last edited:
I find Zumba pretentious and I don't like Pilates. Denise Austin has too many "Whooos" and eye poppings for my liking!
Give me a workout with a bit of oomph! I want to feel sweaty and pushed to my limits!!
Thank you, Cathe!!!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.