Workout DVD regrets

mini-natty

Cathlete
These are my DVD's that I regret purchasing. Right now they are sitting lonely on my shelf collecting dust, waiting for another chance.

1. The whole KettleWorx series. The worst Kettle Bell workouts ever! I can't believe I invested in that crap (yes, I said crap. I don't say that lightly).

2. Billy Blanks Cardio Sculpt. HATED IT. Sorry Billy.

3. Turbo Jam (given to me). Thank goodness this was not a purchase! I would have kicked myself in the rear for this one!

4. TBL Power Sculpt. A total joke. Even for beginners. Advanced people would seriously laugh at this.

5. Jackie Warner's Xtreme Timesaver & Abs.

Please share your regrets. I can't be the only one who made bad choices here....

Last edited:
I regret buying Amy Dixon Breathless Body. I have to admit that I've only tried it once, and maybe I would change my mind if I tried it again. While it was intense, I found it to be really boring and quickly lost interest. I just haven't felt like picking it up and trying it again (especially since getting LIS).

Cardio Sculpt by Billy Blanks - the pace was just too fast for good form and effective strength training.

Back in the 90s, I bought a Karen Voight step workout. It was the most boring workout I ever bought. I only did it once.

Stephanie Huckabee PowerFit 5 disk workout....I don't care for resistance band workouts.

Almost all my Pilates dvds. I don't get the appeal of Pilates but I will keep them because they could be helpful when recovering from an injury or surgery.

Marisa Tomei's Core & Curves. It is a staff favorite at Collagevideo.com-why is beyond me.

Supreme 90- I just don't like the crew- they seem bored to death! Thankfully it was only $20.

Jillean Michaels- maybe I should give it another try- her personality is just not Cathe was my issue.

Anything Denise Austin (now I'm dating myself!) She is saccharine coated.

The Wave- total impulse purchase!

Billy Blanks Tae Bo All that counting, drives me nuts.

I second Kettleworx Big waste of money. I love kettlebell just not this one.

The Firm Wave. Stupid ! Dont know why I bought this one.

Chalene Extreme HATED IT !!

1. Chalene's Turbo stuff although it was humorous at times.

2. KCM, and I know that she is well-liked, but I could not get into the 30 minute workouts or her style. They were all too easy.

3. Tony's One on One's.

4. Supreme 90 (I admit I bought this because of the low price, but you get what you pay for).

I just purged these DVDs by donating:

1. all Winsor Pilates
2. all Tae Bo
3. all Denise Austen
4. Kathy Smith Timesaver Weights
5. all Tamilee Webb (except the original Buns of Steel and Science of Fitness)

Wish I could get back the cash I spent on these. Sheesh!

I have several dvd regrets, but I'll post just a few.:eek:

Anything Billy Banks. OMG, that annoying counting! WTH?!!:eek:

P90X2...I have STS, what was I thinking?! At one time I loved P90X, but I can't get back into it after STS. I love straight forward, old school, weight lifting.P90X2 has too much going on and not enough of what I like.

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I don't like her personality.

I have several dvd regrets, but I'll post just a few.:eek:

Anything Billy Banks. OMG, that annoying counting! WTH?!!:eek:

P90X2...I have STS, what was I thinking?! At one time I loved P90X, but I can't get back into it after STS. I love straight forward, old school, weight lifting.P90X2 has too much going on and not enough of what I like.

Jillian Michaels 30 Day Shred, I don't like her personality.

I just don't like Jillian's personality either.

I saw Dirtdiva posted she regretted KCM....now generally Dirtdiva and I agree... and I do agree in that KCM's workouts are not as difficult as Cathe's, but I like Kelly's personality and I just use her workouts on easier days to just do something.

I have about 5 of the newer pink FIRM's collecting dust. I guess it takes me time to learn...sometimes they sound so good and then I hope they are ...and then they are not...but I have finally learned! I regret them though.

I also regret getting Jari Love's "Get Extremely Ripped 1000"....Her form is just so bad sometimes .... when she does stationary lunges her knee goes over her toe....ouch! and when she does bicep curls, I swear she is damaging her wrists because she just lets them flop back....it is also dark ....it is just too distressing all around for me to watch it...from the darkness to the crazy workout outfits to the bad form...

The original 4 dvds from Bob Harper, I am not a fan of his style in his DVDs, and honestly I'm not liking his newer/meaner Biggest Loser persona either.

Jillian Michaels - Odd one here, I don't mind the workouts, but I find I never reach for them, so not sure why I kept buying them for a while.

The Montenegro Method, I was hoping to use these to tack on to other workouts, but I should know myself better that I just don't usually like to string different workouts together. I did one workout once.

Too many kettlebell workouts, I am so hot or cold with bells, and I just have too many workouts now even for the times I am "hot".

Chalene Extreme, just nothing clicked with this for me and the moves felt like awkward.

Insanity - incredibly boring and very hard, making for way too much dread factor, I made it through maybe 2 weeks.

Supreme 90, - Agree, you get what you pay for, I am willing to pay for good production quality and a non rushed through workout.

Hi all

Turbo fire and really anything from beachbody ie P90X and that capoiera set that was a complete waste (it was an ab set I can't even remember its name).

Anything Jillian Micheals. That whole miserable shouting at the audience, not for me.

Supreme 90 never used even though only $20

Any Billy Blanks, can't stand the counting.

Denise Austin.

Anything Sylvia Weisenberg. I bought a couple of her first Tonique workouts and sorry not for me.

Dare I say it but indoor Kettlebell dvds, with the exception of Steve Cotter whose teaching style and technique is excellent. My DH will not allow me to swing a kettlebell of 16kg in the lounge and to be honest I'd be too scared I would let go and shoot it through the window lol.

Loves and never ever to trade all Cathes except the cycle max from LIS as I don't have a bike. Also all my yogatoday downloads and KCM.

Laura

I third the kettleworx fiasco. I was so mad I spent money on these stupid workouts! Cut and paste the same moves over and over...put it on several dvds and call the workouts something different. Arghh!

I also agree about Jackie Warner. I only got her abs one but I was really annoyed at how obvious it was she was looking at the teleprompter for her lines. Plus, something about her just grates on me.

Same goes for Chalene...I got her Turbofire Hiit 20 in trade, previewed it once and was sooo glad I didn't buy Turbofire. (I was really close to getting it too!)

I've wondered about Jari Love...I really want to get some of her workouts and try her out as I've heard good things. I've also heard that she has bad form from a lot of folks. I think I could ignore that and keep good form on my own, but I do tend to mimic what the instructor is doing if I'm not thinking about it.

Jillean Michaels- maybe I should give it another try- her personality is just not Cathe was my issue.

Anything Denise Austin

I agree on both of these. Jillean knows her stuff< I just don't care for that in your face, swearing type workout.

Denise way to foo foo!

P90X sorry those who like this. I gave mine away. I got two injuries from this which was my own doing I suppose. Feel STS is so much more !!

I third the kettleworx fiasco. I was so mad I spent money on these stupid workouts! Cut and paste the same moves over and over...put it on several dvds and call the workouts something different. Arghh!

I also agree about Jackie Warner. I only got her abs one but I was really annoyed at how obvious it was she was looking at the teleprompter for her lines. Plus, something about her just grates on me.

Same goes for Chalene...I got her Turbofire Hiit 20 in trade, previewed it once and was sooo glad I didn't buy Turbofire. (I was really close to getting it too!)

I've wondered about Jari Love...I really want to get some of her workouts and try her out as I've heard good things. I've also heard that she has bad form from a lot of folks. I think I could ignore that and keep good form on my own, but I do tend to mimic what the instructor is doing if I'm not thinking about it.

Regarding Jari Love, I have 6 of her workouts and don't regret any of them! Yes, she has bad form sometimes, but I know not to copy her (I look at her crew Laurie & Leslie who have excellent form). A word of caution, some of her stuff has really bad reviews (Body Rock, Lean Machine, Boot Camp), I never invested in those thankfully. Just like Jillian, you either like her style or you don't. If I were to pick just one for you to try, it would be Ripped To The Core or Slim & Lean. IMO, excellent total body workouts.

The original 4 dvds from Bob Harper, I am not a fan of his style in his DVDs, and honestly I'm not liking his newer/meaner Biggest Loser persona either.

Jillian Michaels - Odd one here, I don't mind the workouts, but I find I never reach for them, so not sure why I kept buying them for a while.

The Montenegro Method, I was hoping to use these to tack on to other workouts, but I should know myself better that I just don't usually like to string different workouts together. I did one workout once.

Too many kettlebell workouts, I am so hot or cold with bells, and I just have too many workouts now even for the times I am "hot".

Chalene Extreme, just nothing clicked with this for me and the moves felt like awkward.

Insanity - incredibly boring and very hard, making for way too much dread factor, I made it through maybe 2 weeks.

Supreme 90, - Agree, you get what you pay for, I am willing to pay for good production quality and a non rushed through workout.

I could have written this exact post, but you saved me the trouble, so I will just say DITTO!!!

Oh yeah! I forgot I had consigned my Jari Love DVD's....I am sure I would get lamblasted for my honest opion of her... okay I'll say it. she comes off as a not-so-intelligent person who throws around "big words" to try to sound intelligent. Her approach is wayyyy too impersonal and stoic.

The newer Firm dvds & Tae Bo! Gave them all away:(
Also Stott Pilates & Core Secrets! Still have them, they will have to go!:(

I love the original Firm dvds/vhs:)

Tried Jari Love & Denise Austin & also given away!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.