Why no background modifiers?

CJ 5

Cathe I have to say that I think that your tapes show a great deal of class and integrity. Your sets are well thought out and you presentation is excellent.

In reading this forum I can tell that you really listen to your customers and implement suggestions into your new videos. I was surprised that in all of your videos you never have one person in the back showing modifications; low impact or easier choreography. The only modifications I have seen is in the new series where you show how to do the exercises without a stability ball.

On your tapes you always say things are optional and such but there is noone to watch to see what else to do and it is hard to remember your suggestions. I was quite surprised to read that this is the the criticism of your work I read about most on videofitness.com. It seems many ladies just are older and can't do power moves anymore or beginners need someone to help them along to get up to speed. I am sure you have heard this request before so I am sure you have a good reason for not including a background modfier. Maybe you feel it takes away from the presentation. Anyway just wondering if you will ever do any tapes with modfiers or what your reasons are for not including them

Hi, I'm obviously not Cathe but I can answer your question...

The new intensity series does have 1 of the 4 women Cathe uses showing modifications to the "out of the ordinary" exercises & those exercises that use special equipment that you may or may not have. As you've already mentioned. However, the purpose of Cathe's tapes are to reach out to the advanced exerciser. Therefore, she assumes the viewer is at a level to do these types of workouts. Also included in EVERY one of Cathe's weight tapes you will find wonderful form pointers that beginners or intermediate exercisers can use. You just have to be careful to pay attention to them. On example that comes to mind is in the Pure Strength Series, Cathe has finished doing tricep dips off the side of her step when she shows Pat doing single dumbbell tricep extensions in the background. Cathe points out that this is a great alternative for those that just don't have the wrist strength to do dips in the manner that she does. I must have done the tape 3 times before noticing.

The step tapes are a little more difficult to modify & it is assumed that you will have to rewind to learn the steps. I am totally uncoordinated & it will take me 6 or 7 times outs before learning the most basic step interval. The nice thing is, if you just keep trying you still work up a good perceived exertion & sweat like a man!

It is always recommended that you preview all exercise tapes before jumping in & doing them. I am totally guilty of not doing this & therefore sometimes miss the modifications that Cathe points out.

I hope this helps answer your question.

Deborah I can't believe how many emails I have gotten over this thread all agreeing with me but afraid to post. I just find it impossible to believe that the cathe I watch in my weight videos would alienate over half of the market share of home fitness video exercisers like that. I admit I did not buy the intensity series for this very reason so if there is a background modifier I will jump on it. I assume that most of Cathes customers are people who are very into exercising at home. I read countless posts of people who say
" Not ready for Cathe choreography?" or "Don't want to jump on one leg?" or "how do I modfiy cathe in *****?" These are advanced exercisers that just would rather have someone to watch on modifications. Clearly that is not much of a compromise for someone ast talented as Cathe is. I am sure this was a business decision I will just wait to hear her take on this

BTW
This is just one of about 6 I already got today

--------------------------------------------------------
I was just over at Cathe's forum, and see that your question on background exercisers was answered....but not by Cathe. Looks like one of the "Cathe is for advanced exercisers and if you're not, too bad" folks took it upon herself to answer. I just wonder how much business Cathe would lose if only the advanced folks who never modify bought her.

I didn't want to post this on the forum because I don't want to tick off anybody.
--------------------------------------------------------
end Quote

Hey CJ,

Ya know, I never gave it much thought one way or another. Heck, half the time I was needing modification more for the impact than for the choreo anyway!(air born jacks are not your friend at certain weights!) But I found my own modifications until I could adjust.
And the videos that I do own with background modifiers, I never do their version anyway? I always strive to do it like the instructor, no matter how ugly it looks coming from me! :)

I guess I like the challenge of "figuring it out," cause I get the biggest rush when I FINALLY do get a move that's taken me forever! My latest one, as pathetic as it will sound: "the flying angel" YES! for whatever reason known only to a higher power, I could not get that move! I forget which step workout it was on when I first came across it, but I could not do it at all! My feet/body refused! But now with the new series, suddenly I'm on the step and I'm doing it! Maybe it's sick, but I kinda like having to "meet" the challenge rather than look for an easier option. Of course, I've always done things the hard way (hardheaded), so I probably would feel this way! :)

Donna
Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Donna - don't feel bad! I am with you! If I catch on to a video the 1st time... it is a miracle and to be honest I get bored! I would much rather have a challenge.

I do appreciate Cathe catering to the advanced exerciser and wouldn't buy 1/2 as many of her tapes if they weren't so:) I have lost more weight on Cathe videos than any other instructor due to the fact that she pushes me harder than I would ever push myself!

I have had friends who have done them too who are beginners and have had no problems finding modifications!

Like you said it gives you something to work for!

I am sorry if it sounded like I was pulling out the claws on Donna. I certanly didn't intend it to be that way. I agree with everyone that there is absolutely no reason for Cathe to stop being Cathe. she has a great personality and presentation. Her choreography is great to learn and it can be a great rush to get a move. I wouldn't want to change cathe But I do still believe that a background modifier would make everyone happy and still let Cathe be Cathe.

edited to delete my message as to not "alienate" anyone. My original post was not intended to do so but to point out that Cathe does provide instruction on modifications & use background modifiers in the new series.

CJ,

I have to disagree with that e-mail, purely on the fact that I am 5 foot 8 inches, a fair hefty lump, and I can do Cathe's workouts by MODIFYING, if I don't want to jump, I don't, I just step instead. And if there is a certain point in a workout, that I can't do, I do something else instead.
Believe you me, the posters on this forum are by no means all advanced exercisers :) - just take a look at me ! My skipping smilie man says it all !!!!!

Anna:7

Deborah, before I saw your post I was also going to point out that there are several modifications on the PS series. There are also points in the CTX series where she mentions good modifications (though if I need a mod, I take it, whether it's mentioned or not.)

Regarding modifications: choreography and impact are two very distinct issues.

There should be no need to break down choreography for the simple reason that a video or dvd can be replayed as many times as you like until you get the move. In fact it's annoying if the instructor spends too much time breaking it down because by the third watch, you are bored to tears and your heart rate is too low etc.

Impact, on the other hand is an entirely different issue. Many people (including "advanced exercisers") avoid impact because it can be very unhealthy for knees, shins, joints etc. I don't think it's entirely intuitive how to modify all high impact moves. And just doing a basic step until the choreography switches is not a great solution.

I notice on Karen Voight and Kari Anderson tapes that there is always a low impact person performing. Frankly, I think it adds to the quality of the tape. I think it's far more challenging for an instructor to come up with a creative low impact modification which is sufficiently challenging than to just come up with 50 jumping/hopping moves. I mean adding a hop to a move is a pretty mindless way to get your heart-rate up!

So I agree with the original poster--low impact modifications would be a value-add on these videos!

Maybe then, it might be a good idea to suggest to Cathe, that she devise a low impact based series, with high intensity ??? Just a suggestion, as Cathe says !

Anna :7

Just a couple of thoughts to add here...

I think this thread's about run its course, but I just wanted to add a couple of comments that I hope will be helpful re: planning modifications.

I think the key to this issue of modifying is in being really proactive in the way you plan and prepare for your Cathe workouts. They are advanced, after all -- they're clearly advertised that way and Cathe doesn't mislead anyone on that score. And to my way of thinking, anything advanced (not just exercise!) requires a little homework and preparation first. Moreover, how you use a Cathe tape should be very individualized to your own needs. So I think not only that the "advanced" quality of the workouts merits preparation, but also that personalizing the workouts requires preparation. Personally, I always follow this preparation routine -- the point being that you should pick your own: (1) I preview the tape (usually on my elliptical, treadmill or bike so that I feel I've used the time for some physical benefit); (2) I post questions that occur to me right away; (3) I do the tape and (4) I continue to post follow up questions as I practice the tape.

Previewing a tape is time-consuming, but it really does make a huge difference when you're able to concentrate on what you're watching and on what Cathe is saying, and you can truly pay attention to Cathe's form pointers.

I also suggest that if you're not familiar with Cathe's choreography, you should buy or borrow some of her earlier tapes to learn (she has built progressively over the years on prior moves). I can tell you that there's no way I could have just leaped right into IMAX2 or the CTX tapes if I hadn't learned the moves in Cathe's earlier tapes. But that's me. If it's not feasible or desirable for you to get your hands on earlier Cathe tapes, just watch and practice over and over again on the moves that you find tough.

If you see a move that you think won't EVER work for you, or might be tough some days, plan ahead for how you're going to modify it. If Cathe hasn't suggested an alternate move on the tape (and I agree that she sometimes does), I'd start by running a search on these forums on the particular tape or move that you don't feel ready or able to do. Chances are you'll find that someone has already asked the same question you have. I've been a regular on these Forums since they started and I can remember many, many times when members posted to ask Cathe for suggestions to modify moves. If you browse the posts from, say, February 1, you'll see several just in the past two weeks where people have asked for modifications and Cathe's responded -- e.g., for the side-elevated abdominals, and for the plyo hops in IMAX2.

And finally, if you don't see that anyone, anywhere has addressed your particular modification question, post it! This is an educated and generous crowd, and both Cathe and the members here are always willing to offer smart suggestions.

Doing all this stuff proactively might seem like a lot of trouble to go to when, you might say, it would be easier if Cathe could just have a background exerciser doing a modification. But modifying what? There are as many modification issues as there are members on these forums, and IMHO you'll get a much more personally-tailored answer to YOUR problem by asking Cathe and the crowd here how to help with your particular issue.

Just my two cents' worth! :)

RE: Just a couple of thoughts to add here...

CJ - I am also curious about what Cathe has to say on this subject. I think the reason she hasn't answered your post is because questions directly to Cathe are typically posted on the "Ask Cathe" forum. I'm not sure how often she reviews this area.

I love Cathe's step tapes but I do wish she showed a low-impact modifier in the background. I modify almost everything to low-impact and it's quite a challenge sometimes to do that with some of her steps. I agree it can be quite a challenge to figure out a low-impact option for an instructor, but overall I think it makes the quality of the tape that much better. There are lots of advanced or high-intermediate exercisers who don't like ultra-high impact tapes as well, I think.

I have found other instructors who have nice routines that are lower-impact. But, there is almost nothing that matches the energy of a Cathe tape! When I have to do aerobics for an hour, I get through the hour a lot faster with Cathe (although I've done Step Jam so many times, I think I've got the whole tape memorized now :)).

Although, if Cathe put a background modifier in, it's possible that a lot of people would complain about it since they're not used to it. So since she's gone without it so long, maybe adding it in now is not an option.

Well duh, I just realized this is already in the ASK CATHE forum. Sorry for my stupidity!!

Hi CJ!
I see you've gotten some replies but I just wanted to give my point of view seeing as you referred to "older exercisers" in your first post, and I guess I fit that category since I turned 50 last year. ;)
I've also been working out almost half my life, so I do consider myself advanced.

Anyway, these tapes are geared towards advanced exercisers like others said. As an advanced exerciser, I don't find it necessary to have someone tell me how to modify, IMHO if one is advanced you know that. And if one is not...well I don't feel one should be attempting *these* particular tapes if they are not aware of modifications or how to listen to their body (and that knows no "level"), there are other Cathe tapes better suited to a non-advanced exerciser.

If there were to be modifications, I would only want to see "unusual" ones, not the usual ones, because an advanced exerciser *should* already know them. For example, in the S&H series, she has a lot of tips and pointers, frankly I fast forward through them but a less experienced exerciser may prefer them.

I do modify Cathe's tapes, I'm 50 and can't do alot of turns, I get dizzy. Also flying jacks....well let's say I can still fly but I can't jack while flying but it has nothing to do with my fitness level(ummmmm bladder control problems :( ) but my modifications are what I know I must do for me. Advanced exercisers should know their bodies and their limitations, and even if there were modifiers in the background it may not be what *I* need to do to modify for me...for example in Christi Taylor's tapes she has background modifiers but if I'm modifying a move, I usually don't do what they do and I tend to find it distracting. Well that could be my age showing too, easily distracted, LOL.

I'm also VERY curious about your statement that Cathe has "would alienate over half of the market share of home fitness video exercisers like that." She can't please everyone all the time, but half of the market share? The advanced market share? Or just video market share? Cathe has a niche market, I don't know for sure, but I would venture to guess that the majority of video exercisers do videos like Richard Simmons and Leslie Sansone (not to knock them, I'm not at all, but the level is totally different)

" Not ready for Cathe choreography?" or "Don't want to jump on one leg?" or "how do I modfiy cathe in *****?" These are advanced exercisers that just would rather have someone to watch on modifications. " Maybe I'm just totally different, but I don't feel I need this, I already know what to do, and perhaps I wouldn't want to modify as she shows anyway. There are many ways to do an exercise.

"I was just over at Cathe's forum, and see that your question on background exercisers was answered....but not by Cathe. Looks like one of the "Cathe is for advanced exercisers and if you're not, too bad" folks took it upon herself to answer. I just wonder how much business Cathe would lose if only the advanced folks who never modify bought her." Some one wrote this to you...but I can tell you that I know dozens and dozens of Cathe enthusiasts (from a couple of mailing lists I'm on; I also know many of the personally) and they all modify things their way, and they always preorder the first day.

I don't mean to come down on you or anything, perhaps it was the "older" that got me to respond, LOL

I appreciate Cathe's tapes more than any other BECAUSE of the things I discussed above. She assumes a level of fitness and knowledge you won't get in 99% of the other instructors out there.

JMH opinion. No one has to agree.
:)
Barbara P

I have to confess to being extreme choreography challenged.
I also have a knee that likes to act up and cause me problems and pain.
I have some of the major issues that stop many people from doing Cathe.

Yet, I find that I like Cathe workouts mostly BECAUSE THEY
MAKE ME TRY. I have to TRY to keep up both on a physical
level and intellectual level. I would never suggest Cathe is for Advanced
exercisers only. (Gettingfit@39 is fantastic proof otherwise!) Cathe
will provide the challenge that keeps you interested which an easier
workout video can not. Also, you can feel good about completing a
Cathe workout - even if you modify, at any fitness level.

I do the best that I can on Cathe choreography. My best is often
comical. I still get a good work out! I find that I do get the hang of
some new (little) movement about every day. I assure you that if
I can start to pick up on Cathe's choreography, then anyone can
make great improvements by persisting. I still don't even try
some of the known harder choreography workouts. But I WILL
after I get somewhat better with the more basic workouts.

If my knee is bothering me, I DON'T JUMP and I DON'T do high impact.
I will come up to the top of my toes, but I stay planted on the ground if my
knee is a problem at all. I still get a great work out! In about all of the
videos that I can think of - somewhere along the way - Cathe says
to remove the jump if you don't or can't do it.

The bottom line is: Just use good judgment on what works for you that
day (some days are better than others) and do the best you can.

My $0.02,
Dona

I'm with the person who would like a low impact/high intensity Cathe DVD. I'm over 50 and have a bad left knee, but I'm also an advanced exerciser and love the impact when I can handle it. I can't do step 5 days in a row any longer, but I still want that same intensity. I think there's an extensive market out there that would buy a low impact/high intensity series. I know I'm always on the look-out for low impact/high intensity, but I have yet to find one that doesn't bore me after a few times. I'm sure that's creative challenge that Cathe could meet.

CJ5

I, too, am in the older crowd. I am 47 years old and have been exercising since I was 18 years old. I guess I will make this short, I am a very advanced exerciser - I can do Cathe's tapes without modifying, but if I have a day when I am more tired than usual I can modify on my own. I have been working out long enough to figure out my own modificaions.

I do Christi Taylor tapes, also. She always has modifiers. I don't mind that at all as a matter of fact. I never really use them and they never distract me since I only look at the people up front. So I don't see how modifiers would take away from any of her tapes.

I can see your point in people who might be advanced exercisers but not so in tune with Cathe's choreography. That addition would never take away the quality of Cathe's videos.

Cheryl

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.