Why no background modifiers?

Hi CJ5! There is actually no "anti" reason for not including modifiers in my workouts. I simply never have since I target the advanced exercise market. It is not to say that I would never do so in the future, however it is safer to say that I would more likely create separate workouts that cater to beginner and intermediate fitness enthusiasts. I have experienced that many people have their own interpretation of what a modified move is and there really is no way to please everyone trying to define that answer within one workout tape. Therefore, if I label a tape advanced, this is where I want the focus to be.

The advanced power moves can easily be modified by doing the same exact move but with less of an intense jump. And if it can't I am open to questions on the forum for ways to make any move more suitable to your specific liking. But if it is advanced choreography, not impact, that is not to somebody's liking, well there is no way to really modify that, that is a matter of personal taste.

I know that there are other instructors who are showing modifications, and I know that there are also instructors who are not. I never made having modifiers a priority because, again, I market my videos to be advanced and I assume that when I lable it that way, the person buying it is expecting that type of workout. Not only that but I find that when actual modifiers are present for the entire workout, the workout seems visually distracting and loses some of its flow and rhythm, not to mention the focus of who the workout is specifically intended for.

I have to admit that I find it ironic that very few seem to complain when a beginner/intermediate workout does not offer a background exerciser showing the advanced level. Perhaps, this would give the exerciser an opportunity to grow with their tape.

In any case, I am not saying this with any defensive anger, I am just pointing out another way to look at it.

Getting back to my workouts though, I am sensitive to the fact that some moves will be harder for some than others and and try to include things throughout the workout of how you can do this instead of that, or you may want to work up to this slowly, etc. I do it this way because it seems to make more sense on an advanced tape. I realize that this may turn some people off to buying the workouts. I accept that and am fine with that. No one workout tape or instructor can be everything (or should try to be everything) to everyone.

I'm sorry that you have chosen not to buy the intensities due to the fact that there are no modifiers. I'm sure there are others out there who have chosen to do the same. However, I have a business formula that I feel has been very successful for over 13 years, and I don't plan, at this point in time, to make any changes to our advanced video series (and with that comment I mean no disrespect to anyone). Perhaps at somepoint in the future we will make some beginner/intermediate workouts that will be more to your liking.

Thank you:)

I think the main problem with modifying Cathe's step tapes comes when there are directional changes during the jumps. If you don't jump, you end up on the wrong side of the step to begin the next move. In order to show modifiers, Cathe would have to change her choreography a lot.

I for one, don't like straight jumping moves, one after another, not because they're hard, but because they're boring to me, but I'd be the first to admit that it's very easy to modify power sevens to plain repeaters. It's when she starts twirling around that modification becomes difficult, and it's those moves that make things interesting.

Thanks Cathe! I think all we wanted was to know some background info (or at least, I did).

That is a good point - if more beginner/intermediate level videos showed other options, they would be more versatile for various fitness levels.

Cathe, I hope you understand that it is because you have such great videos that we hold you to such a high standard and challenge you with difficult questions.

I know for me personally, even modifying your videos to low-impact, they are still among the most intense workouts I can find and they have an energy that is fantastic! Part of it is your personality showing through I'm sure.

I do hope you would consider making complex videos for advanced people, only with low-impact needs in the future. Maybe it's not in the cards, but I want you to know the demand is certainly there (at least from me).

Also, I would love to see a stretching tape sometime! I think the stretches in your videos seem to have really evolved over the years, to the point where they are a nice fusion. I assume if you did produce a stretch video, it would be more athletic oriented which is just right up my alley.

Anyway, thanks for the reply, and for the great videos!

I did reply previously and basically said that I much prefer the challenge that Cathe offers.

That said, I have a friend who I would like to encourage to get the fitness bug. While I let her know about Cathe, I tend to direct her more toward workouts like the Firms newer releases. (Cardio Sculpt, Body Sculpt, and Ab Sculpt). I will confess, these releases do not hold my interest (sold them on Ebay). However, they are great for beginners because they are not difficult. They offer even easier modifications for those that are just beginning.

For those slightly more advanced (but still with beginning and intermediate modifications shown) are The Firms most recent videos (Super Body Sculpt / Super Cardio Sculpt / Lower Body Sculpt II
/ Cardio Sculpt Blaster / Lower Body Sculpt I / Body Sculpt Blaster) I kept these, because they are still nice workouts when you only have about a half an hour and you can make them more challenging by using heavier weights. If you did these and became aware of the standard sorts of ways to modify, you might find that it becomes second nature to know how to modify Cathe "on the fly" without specifically being shown how.

However, If you are wanting to try weight work the best modification of Cathe's weight videos is simply to use lighter (or even no
weights).

Please do not take offense by those of us that enjoy Cathe's workouts for what they are. Any workouts Cathe made would be great. At 41 and with a flaky knee, I too would welcome an entire Cathe workout that was low impact & high intensity. However, if I need any of Cathe's workouts to be lower impact, I will just change what I have to change as I go along. I think you will be able to make those adjustments with a bit more experience. Don't give up or feel
upset. Do think about "The Firm" workouts that I mentioned above as a good way to transition to a more advanced workout.

Dona

I agree Jane! It's when you start turning and whirling that modifying gets tough for me - I never end up in the right direction!:D I do love all the Cathe workouts I have (only missing 1 DVD), but must admit that on those days I don't feel like jumping, it would be nice to zone out mentally and just watch someone in the back for low impact. I have other workouts, but they're just not Cathe! I am also a tried and true believer that low impact DOES NOT mean low intensity (obviously this is a point that is debatable). It'd be great if Cathe did a stretch video like someone else suggested, or a high intensity low impact workout for the advanced exerciser. But who am I kidding really - I'll buy just about anything that comes out!:7 So glad Cathe responded to this one. Hope CJ that you're not totally put off now, and that Cathe's response will satisfy you. Off to do PUB now :)

Beth :)

>I must respectfully disagree. Several of the posts I have
>seen posted to CJ have been pointedly rude and defensive.
>
>I am personally very saddened by this whole thread. I think
>it's a shame that CJ posted a perfectly valid question to
>Cathe and it created a huge thread with everyone getting
>defensive.
>
>I really don't understand why so many people felt the need to
>speculate on why Cathe doesn't include modifiers (why not just
>let Cathe answer the thread herself?).
>
>There is a lot of defensiveness here about Cathe's workouts.
>Cathe has wonderful workouts and I do them weekly. THAT'S WHY
>SHE GETS THESE QUESTIONS. Tons of people love Cathe's
>workouts and that's why they come here looking for her advice.
> What could possibly be wrong with that?
>
>And, if you feel CJ is being rude or turning the thread into a
>flame war, why in the world would you stir the pot by posting
>any response at all?
>
>I feel badly for Cathe, having to read this thread. I don't
>think this board needs to be filled with people who have
>undying loyalty to Cathe. A mix of loyal fans, curious people
>and those who have questions is natural. Why does everyone
>get so mad and defensive?
>
>I can't help thinking all of this could be avoided if we let
>Cathe answer the questions that are addressed to her.

It's always interesting to me to see how posts can be interpreted differently by different people, I didn't see any posts directed to CJ (unless they were edited and I didn't see the original) that I would consider "pointedly rude and defensive", or "mad and defensive". Quite the contrary IMHO, I saw a lot of different opinions though and I think that's great. I don't expect everyone to agree with me, the world would be pretty boring if they did :)

The thing is, if something is posted on a forum, even if posted to one particular person, it is open to response from anyone registered on that forum. If I wanted a response only from that person I would PM them. JMHO that's what I would do.

I'm glad you popped into the thread Cathe. It's always good to see a post from you! I'm in your "older" crowd (50) and I have to modify some things, but not a lot (yet, hahaha) I want to thank you for all the tapes you have made, and I have ALL of them (except for one old one) including an old CIA1006 one! But I have to say this intensity series is my favorite, I got the DVD's and the possibilities are just mind-boggling (in a good way!)......what a lot of work and thought went into these DVDs (and workouts)....thanks!
barbara P

TO Cathe:

That was very nice of you to take the time to reply. I am sure that you feel that you are doing whats best for your business. Ofcourse I didn't find your reply defensive just was curious why you chose what you did.

Again thank you for responding even though this thread got so heated I was concerned that would put you off from commenting. This will also be useful to point someone towards in the future on VF when this question comes up.

Happy Stepping
CJ

RE: Kathryn, read this with an open mind--I'm not attac...

Thanks Deborah. I appreciate your clarifying things, especially the ones on my behalf. I agree, I didn't see any hostility in anyone's posts to CJ but I did going the other way. I think we were all just stating our opinions calmly and clearly. But it seems that the posts that stated opinions against background modifiers were seen as pointedly rude and defensive, not to mention name-calling.
Personally, I tend to read posts with the attitude with which I write them, which is perhaps why I didn't see any rudeness. But that's me. I hope it was just a big misunderstanding.
Barbara P

Miz Cathe:

PLEASE don't change a thing! You are the one person out there who makes the best advanced videos! The beginners have lots of places to go, but there are very few advanced workouts aside from yours, & I, for one, am very grateful for what you do!

My fitness level is unbelievable because of your workouts, more than I could have ever hoped for when I started your cardio tapes in Jan. of 2000! And you have a variety of CHALLANGING weight workouts that no one can touch!!!!!!

Don't forget, y'all, that Miz Donna-gettinfit@39 modified Cathe tapes when her body weight was still very high.

Just Do It! :)

just another thought ....not to drag an already long thread even longer

Well I am back....lol

I just wanted to say to those who participated in this thread on all sides that at first I was a little blown away that this question excalated like it did. Then I thought about it and I realized that a healthy debate can be a good thing and this has certanly been a vigorous debate.

Cathe may not read this but I thought of yet another compromise that I think would be literally the best of both worlds. What about filming a background exerciser with a different camera by herself. Just to the side while you are doing the routine? Then in the DVD put her as an OPTIONAL small box in the corner( you know you could click on her as a part of the premix options)? She could do the low impact moves and the performance and quality of your regular shoot would not be compromised. The low impact people could watch her if they wanted and the high impact people could be happy too.

On the other hand this may just be too expensive of a solution. I know that christy put a small box in the corner of her tape to show a cooldown while she continued. It seemed like an ok idea. Ofcourse with DVD's a whole world of opportunity is out there. In any case I will post this in the suggestions box on your main site. Then again with filming and money this may just not be a doable idea.

Just one last comment. I think many low impact exercisers would be fine with a tape for them rather than modifications but I think most would just love to have the modification there ( in your advanced tapes) to watch for and pick and choose moves they can and can't do rather than a whole different series. I think you know what you do well.......... And you certanly do do it well!!! If high impact is your thing then stick with it. I guess like a lot of people said on this board... we can either figure it out on our own or go elsewhere for our video products.

RE: just another thought ....not to drag an already long thread even longer

Hi CJ5. Wow...what a thread! I would never imagine it becoming so...HUGE. LOL No worries...

Anyway, I wanted to just say that I hope you will continue to try Cathe's tapes. Seriously, it is very easy to modify her tapes. Just keep yourself grounded. There are many days I'm too tired to jump so much, so I just keep my feet on the ground even though I'm doing the same moves. Conversely, I will tell you that I DO modify some lower impact/easier tapes that I have. I've got 3 Leslie Sansone walking tapes. I just love her tapes, but I have to modify them to make them harder since I'm more advanced. I make my moves BIGGER!! Add jumps where appropriate, etc...

Anyway, all I'm saying is that if you stick with it, you WILL get the moves, etc. Just look to Gettingfit@39 (Donna) and Bernard for inspiration!! :7 :7 :7 Have a great day!!!

Hollie

I like GettingFitAt39 (aka Donna) started at a very high weight. I did some Gin Miller and Gilad to get my aerobic capacity up far enuff to start in with Cathe knowing I'd have to modify.

I have been ordering and doing Cathe now for about a year and a half and it's been the best thing I've ever done.

I watch the videos when I get them and as I preview try to think of the modifications I'll need to make as I do that tape. Actually I'm finding that many of the mods come naturally as I do the video. Of course I'm pleasantly finding I need less mods as I continue to "grow into" Cathe's advanced workouts.

See, I didn't want to get a ton of starter videos and then have to move up to intermediate and then to adavanced. My theory was lets get a few tapes and get some cardiovascular improvement going and then just get the videos I wanted which were Cath'es and grow into them. This way I'm set for a lifetime! Waaaay less expensive too. Not to mention there is always a new set of challenges ahead of me as I go.

I don't want a low impact, or beginner alternative background exerciser in Cathe's videos. I picked her tapes for this very reason, I wanted something hard that I would have to push myself a little at a time to get up to speed.

Well, I guess this has turned into another rah rah for Cathe just as she is post, but I am fast turning into a Cathe purist with the one exception of Yoga videos.

Love
Edith

Cathe, please don't change a thing The new Intensity Series rocks.

I'm just glad Cathe has answered this question once and for all. Thank you! :)

RE: Just a couple of thoughts to add here...

Barbara you took the words out of my mouth! I agree 100% with everything you said. I will be 42 this year and wondered if I was considered one of the "older"!!!. This "older" kind of got to me too! I love the fact the Cathe is for advanced exercisers and buy her tapes for this reason.

Cathe - don't change a thing!

Lori

after watching the new clips

I really realized that this post was pretty pointless. It seems Cathe is just going for more and more power moves with each new workout. I realized after watching IMAX that cathe's specialty is power moves. I am pretty sure she may not be trained in low impact aerobics. I am not sure that she is familiar enough with them to design and choreograph low impact motifications etc. Its just unfortunate there aren't more instructors out there that share Cathes quality that can fill that need with their expertise. It would be great to have some low impact advanced exercise tapes but most I have found are very substandard. Kudos for cathe for setting such high quality..just too bad she can't be all things to everyone as what she does do is incredible

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.