What I learned (warning, long!)

andtckrtoo

Cathlete
[FONT=&quot]I[/FONT]n exactly three days I will be embarking on a 100 mile bike ride in support of the LiveStrong Foundation. I did the 50 miler last year, and loved the event so much that I thought I would try for the 100 miler this year. Training for such an event has been terrifying, exhilarating, and down right weird at times, but there are a few things I really learned along the way, and I thought I’d share them with you.

• I can do this. I am not the fittest, most ultra sleek person out there, and I’m sure I’ll raise an eyebrow or two in the starting corral (middle aged woman who is 20 pounds over weight daring to put herself with the elite athletes?!), but I’ll just smile and nod. I may not be as fast as they are, but I will complete the course. I know I will because I’ve trained correctly and I am ready.
  • To borrow a phrase from Mahatma Gandhi: “Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.” I cannot tell you how many times in the middle of my training I thought I could not physically pedal one more stroke. I did a 60 mile ride with a 4000 foot altitude gain, and I can tell you I literally cried when I rounded a bend in the road thinking it would be all down hill only to see yet another long hill in front of me. I paused for a moment, feeling defeated, wondering if I would have to call my husband to pick me up. Then I thought about my friends battling cancer and what pain they must be in. I was in minor discomfort compared to them, I realized, and managed to push on. I can tell you that the six mile down hill after that last hill felt like heaven itself. So much of these kinds of events are mind over matter. When I think I cannot, often if I just do, I find I can do much more than I ever dreamed.
  • I am capable of the focus required to do such an event. I HATE rotations. I hate being forced to do what someone else tells me to do. I’m the kind of person who will do one week of STS followed by a week of the Sash Series (BMax 2, Drill Max…). But while I did have tough weeks with this training, for the most part, I managed to follow the training plan put together for the ride. As I look towards Sunday, I can honestly say that if I had to do my training over again, I would not change a thing (of course, this could change on Sunday, :p). That idea opens up a whole world of possibilities and I’m seriously considering the “Death Ride” next year (http://www.deathride.com/)
  • Focus on the Positive. Wow, if I had a dollar for every person who looked me up and down and asked, “You sure you want to do this?” I’d be a bit richer. But our VP of Support who is an endurance cyclist (and actually looks like one) heard me say I was thinking about doing this and responded enthusiastically, “Yeah! That’s a great idea! You’ll love it!”. I signed up after I talked to him. Of course there may something that happens on the road that prevents me from finishing – that’s the chance you take in anything – but if all goes as planned, I KNOW I will complete this ride.
  • My friends are invaluable. I am fortunate to have some of the bestest friends in the whole wide world, including many on the Cathe Boards. I have a cheering squad from literally around the world. Without that support, I would not be as far as I am. Every time I had a bad ride (and yes, they do happen), I had someone there either literally or in cyberspace picking me up, dusting me off, and cheering me to get back into the saddle. I want to thank each and every one of them.

So, the real message I’m trying to convey is that I’m not a super fit athlete who does this kind of thing. If you ever find yourself reading the story about someone who ran a marathon, or did a century ride, or even raced an Ironman and find yourself wondering if you could do something like that – GO FOR IT!! You’ll have ups and downs. There will be days when you just want to drop to the ground and pound your fists and feet in the most childish temper tantrum ever. But there will be days when you accomplish so much more than you have ever dreamed possible and the feeling of euphoria that goes with that is better than any drug – those days make the others worth while. And believe me, in the training and perseverance of attempting something like this, you will learn more about yourself than you ever thought possible.

Christine....High Five to you and I mean it with TOTAL sincerity...I have been toying with the idea of taking my exercising to a next level....(body building) and your post is coming at the right time....tks ;)
;)
Therese

Christine you are awesome and a true inspiration. My little brother has been trying to get me to do a marathon or triathalon and I've been just to scared. If you've ever read my posts in the past I'm not exactly the most confident and social person. I've always wanted to do the Annual Bataan Memorial Death March Marathon in honor of my granny and gramps who survived the ordeal during WW2 and since my mother in law was diagnoised with terminal lung cancer I've wanted to do a marathon in her honor. When I think about how hard Chemo has been for her and the horror stories my granny told me during WW2 I almost feel ashamed. Thank you so much for your story! I wish you all the luck!!! Let us all know how it goes!!

Therese - thank you! Go for it!! You'll not regret starting body building. The only limit is in your mind.

Janie - You'll know when the time is right. I look forward to reading your post about signing up! I know you can do it, girl!

Catherine - you're too sweet! Thanks so much for being such a great cheerleader through all of this!

Last edited:
Knowing Christine as one of my fellow cheetahs, I have to say that she is the real deal. She is the most sincere person I know. She authentic, a true eveyday women, mom, daughter, and friend.. Every word she said above is so true. She has worked her buttt off for along time now and it's finally here. She has been a support for me this year along with my other cheetahs. Friendships like this are invaluable.

Christine- You make me laugh, you shock me with your will and your training, you support me in my quests in life and above all YOU INSPIRE ME>

I'm counting down with you everyday. I know you can do it. You know you can do. Get er done !!!!!!!!:D

What an amazing revelation Christine! I know you're going to be great this weekend! I'll be thinking about you! I can't wait to hear the rest of the story!

You inspire me beyond words! :)

There's just not much more I can say . . .

Tricia

Christine

You will excel!

I enjoyed reading every word of your post and I am so happy you wrote about your experience. I am on a quest to find my inner athlete - it feels so good - and you have given me a lot of valuable information and inspiration!

Cheering you on from cyberspace.:)

Last edited:
That is awesome! I think we all learn something about ourselves when we are not competing with others, but ourselves. Self-competition is the hardest because it is all mental and we tend to be our own worst enemies. good luck!

Wow!

I think that is wonderful!

You are a very strong, a very mentally strong person. I agree with your assessment about the mental challenges - in something like this and really, in everything in life. I battle with positive thoughts (see, I just phrased it in a combative, negative way!), and kudos to you for being positive, for focusing on the positive.

As far as not being 'elite' or 'ultraseek' I noticed in the charity ride I did ... although it was just 75, not 100 miles, per day....that many heavier people could zoom by me. Could zoom, zoom, zoom! Like you, when I hurt and wanted to stop, I thought of the gift I have just being able to cycle, while those I was raising money for could not. I found that a very sobering, and humbling, thought at times.

It sounds like you have a hilly route to do, too? Wow! I did flat and easy, being in Mn.

You must be so proud of yourself; I hope you enjoy every minute and savor every bit of it, even the agonizing parts when you keep your head down, grit your teeth and wait for that next mile to pass on your computer, but especially the exhilirating feeling of finishing!

Good luck, I'll be waiting to hear about how the ride went!

What a wonderful post!!! I'll be waiting for an update in 4 days;) Best of luck, and if you run out of steam or get stuck on a hill, think of all us Catheites holding on to the back of the seat and giving you a big ol' push!! You can do it!! GoGoGo!!!!

Nan

Thank you all for your wonderful replies!

Karen – with everything you’ve gone through this past year, you inspire me. Thank you so much for your very wonderful words!

Tricia – Thank you! I’ll be thinking of you and all my Catheites as the road gets rough! :p

Catherine – being there in spirit means sooo much! {{{HUGS}}}

Janis – You will reach your inner athlete. It does feel good, doesn’t it? Even when everything seems the darkest, know that’s when you’re getting stronger.

Jnka – ITA – self-competition is the hardest because we either tend to over compete or under compete.

Kate – glad you enjoyed the read. :p I appreciate the luck wishes! I need them!

Lady Unix – yeah, I do have a nice big hill (3 miles in length with some hard grades – 20% and up), AND it comes at mile 71. But hey – if I have to walk it, I have to walk it. No rule says I can’t. Yes, the feeling of finishing is pretty incredible, isn’t it? Way to go on your MS ride!!

Nan – I’ll have that update – regardless of outcome! I appreciate the assist up the hills from all you Catheites!

Christine,

You are an inspiration! Thank you for posting what you have learned during this process. You give me hope that I might be able to get out there one day!

Thank you again,

Penny

Christine, enjoy your century ride, and the training to do it!

I've done one century ride in my life, and I did it to see if I could rather than competing against anyone else. I was definitely not the fastest, but I also wasn't the slowest (I was in an odd 'in-between' position, with the fast group in front of me, and the slower ones behind me.) I was very pround of myself for going the whole distance, and being one of the first women to finish (though there were a couple of times--on hills!--when it was a good thing the sag wagon wasn't near me at the time, or I may have succumbed to the temptation to quit. Strangely, I found that singing "Mary had a little lamb" to myself, or telling myself "slow and steady wins the race" kept me from throwing in the towel.)

Wow Christine has it already been a year ?

I remember last year when you wrote about your trek up into the Evergreen hills where a car barely makes it and you were biking it !

What is your route like this year? If it gets too hard just call me and I'll come give you a boost or if nothing else, scream a big "You Can Do It" from Gilroy ! ;) :p

Best of luck - though I believe you are geared to go and don't need luck cuz you have perseverence !

Will be waiting to hear how it went.

I have done a couple of century rides and have cried a tear or two in training myself -- including the same debate about calling my husband to pick me up!

You can be so very proud of yourself for setting a goal and working so hard toward it. And believe me -- there won't be any raised eyebrows about how you look or where you place yourself. That's one of the great things about cycling -- it's a great equalizer.

Best of luck to you in the ride. I can't wait to hear all about it!

Christine,

Beautiful and inspirational post--thank you so much for sharing your thoughts!! Loved reading this. :D Cheering you on! :cool:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.