What have been your results from whey protein?

twinkletoes129

Cathlete
Hi All! In the past 2 months I have started taking whey protein powder as my boyfriend encouraged me to use it for my weight work. I am really curious as to what results others here have had with whey protein if any and what brand you use?

I've used 2 brands so far, SlimQuick and Optimum Nutrition's 100% Whey Gold Standard in chocolate. Both have been excellent. After I finish the ON I will try Ergogenics New Zealand Whey Protein Unflavoured (it's cold processed cross-flow microfiltration doesn't denature the protein and, includes the microfractions and high in glutamine for gut health and recovery) as I need to stay away from sugar, stevia (gives me acne) and I'm not keen on using artificial sugars that regularly as I drink it every day.

I usually have a shake every morning with breakfast and always one after my workout. I also like to make it as a green smoothie so I always include green leafy veggies like baby spinach or kale, some baby carrots, with a wee bit of blueberries and maybe 1 or 2 strawberries just to give it a touch of flavour beyond the chocolate. I may even add some goji berries/dried cranberries or a little date. But I try to keep the sweetness way down as I'm super sugar sensitive. I'll put half/half milk and water and use my trusty Nutribullet to blend it all up. It goes down golden!! :D

My results have been in just this little while that I've been taking it:
• better muscle growth response to my workouts (it just seems faster!)
• more definition
• I notice veins popping when lifting which I NEVER noticed before! I kinda like that! lol!
• HARD as diamonds nails!! I swear I could cut glass with my nails now! And they grow even faster than my usual fast rate. I can't keep up with them!

Love to know what your response/results have been and your favourite protein and why.

I do protein cycling, so I alternate between whey, whey isolate, pea & hemp. As of late, I am trying to be a little more cautious as to which brand I chose -- trying to find ones with very little preservatives and chemicals. Right now I am using these brands:

Whey Gourmet | The World's Best Tasting Protein Shake
Genuine Health

As of having a "favorite", I can't say I really do. TBH, all whey tastes the same to me :p. But I CAN tell you that I don't find pea & hemp protein very tasty :confused:. They should really have an icon on here showing a little green dude about to hurl :D.

Anyhoo, my results have been increased muscle definition/growth, staying fuller for longer periods, decreased body fat%.

But I CAN tell you that I don't find pea & hemp protein very tasty :confused:. They should really have an icon on here showing a little green dude about to hurl :D.

That made me LOL...I've been on and off with the protein powders. First it was BSN Lean Dessert Protein....oh, that stuff was delicious...

But then I wanted to get away from dairy...so I tried rice protein..then once, and only once hemp powder....*blech!*

Then back to cheap supermarket Pure Protein powder..

Again away from dairy...so, right now I've got a mixture that has pea, hemp, rice, with chia..which would probably be ok but, ugh, the flavoring....it's awful.

So you need to decide if whey's the way. It has many benefits. But there are other options.

I like to put a scoop of Amazing Grass Green Super Food (chocolate, of course) in my protein shakes. It cuts the weird fake flavor down.

Good luck in your journey. I really just use the powder to balance my macros and for recovery on weight days. Not looking for it to provide any specific result.

Cathe posted on Facebook a few weeks ago that she uses Natural Factors Whey Factors

Amazon.com: Natural Factors Whey Factors, Natural French Vanilla, 12 Ounce: Health & Personal Care

I've tried it in vanilla and chocolate and they both taste fine. I haven't noticed any results yet because I've only been using it for about three weeks and I'm really not consistent with my use. I need to commit to leaving enough time to have my shake after every workout which would require me not hitting the snooze button 10 times before getting out of bed!

I'm really enjoying your replies!

Hemp & Pea! HaHa! Sounds truly delightful! Me, I'm sceered of doing hemp anything unless I'm wearing it. Always afeered I'm gonna catch a mild buzz. Lol! ;) I know, I know, that's weird but my system is super sensitive. I'm like the canary in the coal mine, you want to check if there's anything questionable and could have any obscure side effects, test it on me first. Lol! :rolleyes:

I love Amazing Grass, great super greens but wish I could use it. I'm allergic to green tea and guess what, it's in EVERYTHING. So I use Garden of Life's Perfect Food Raw when I have extra cash.

Thanks for letting us know about Cathe's whey choice. I looked it up and looks very good. Great mix of whey isolate and concentrate, cold processed and includes the microfractions AND comes in unflavoured too. Another one on my list to check out in the future.

I alternate between MRM egg white protein chocolate and Natural Factors Whey Factors chocolate protein.

The only ingredient I don't like in MRM is the 'soy lecithin'. But I like variety and haven't found another egg white protein that doesn't have this ingredient. If anyone has found any 'especially in chocolate my fav' :) please post. Thanks.

For the chocolate one anyway it's 15g for one serving/scoop. I usually do 1.5 - 2 scoops for 22.5-30g. Each serving is 80 calories.

Here's the product page. Click on 'supplement facts' on either the 12oz or 2lb for details. Click on 'protein formulas' to view other flavors as well as unflavored.
100% Natural Whey Protein | Product Details

Last edited:
I developed lactose intolerance last year that was pretty severe for awhile, although it seems slightly better these days. I still can't handle milk or large quantities of any kind of dairy though. I couldn't tolerate the whey I had been using without extreme digestive upset. Finally I found Biochem Whey Protein https://www.swansonvitamins.com/biochem-whey-protein-powder-chocolate-fudge-1-9-lb-pwdr. This has been great! It is lactose free but also doesn't contain artificial sweetners. It tastes great, too! :D I found when I started using a whey protein based smoothie after my workouts it helped with lean muscle and strength gains.

I developed lactose intolerance last year that was pretty severe for awhile, although it seems slightly better these days. I still can't handle milk or large quantities of any kind of dairy though. I couldn't tolerate the whey I had been using without extreme digestive upset.

Cokonkel glad you found a kind that works for you :)

Not sure if this works to prevent lactose intolerance, but I alternate rice milk, almond milk, coconut milk and cow milk (and sometimes just water) with my protein powder. Never the same kind for more than 2 days in a row.

Hi Zenara,
o, the chocolate is food? I have yet to find a protein powder that doesn't remind me watery frosting.
Thanks,
Melissa

Hi Zenara,
o, the chocolate is food? I have yet to find a protein powder that doesn't remind me watery frosting.

I like it. But then again I'm not very picky (and love almost everything with chocolate). And everyone has their own tastes. I don't even mix mine with a blender. I just mix as well as I can with a spoon, taking a moment to get it especially around the edges.

Thanks for the reply. I have no idea why my question started out with, oh the chocolate is food. I didn't type that. Very strange.

Melissa

Hi,

I have been wanting to try whey protein for awhile, but I'm nursing. I have read mixed reviews about it.

Has anyone here used it when nursing? It wouldn't replace a meal, I'd just be adding a scoop to my breakfast.

Thanks for any feedback!

Gloria

Hi,

I have been wanting to try whey protein for awhile, but I'm nursing. I have read mixed reviews about it.

Has anyone here used it when nursing? It wouldn't replace a meal, I'd just be adding a scoop to my breakfast.

Thanks for any feedback!

Gloria

Hi Gloria. I incorporated whey protein into my diet while nursing and there were no problems at all. I chose brands with the simplest ingredients possible, no added artificial ingredients, and so on. Jay Robb Whey Protein is a good example. There are others out there, just have to look for them!

I would recommend talking to your baby's pediatrician first, just to be safe. Also, I didn't have any dietary restrictions during nursing, but if your baby has reacted negatively to any foods you've eaten I would consider that as well.

Unusual effect of my whey

Ok this may be TMI :eek: but it's a rather unusual side effect of my whey protein supplementation that I would still like to share:

Another thing I've noticed since taking whey protein powder in my green smoothie in the morning with my breakfast — I've been taking it for almost 3 months now — is that my intense, stomach rolling, sweat producing, hands a shaking, nausea and diarhea inducing, packs a whopping one-two-punch period pains have come back with a gusto!! I'm a very young 49 yr old and haven't had dysmenorrhea in nearly 5 years. It all went away! But I'm not sure I liked that cause it smacked of perimenopause which I wasn't too happy about.:mad: Lol! Now it's back with a vengeance! HaHa! I don't really mind as it only hits me once or twice just before or beginning of my period and I'm VERY lucky that I respond like magic to normal over the counter aspirin or advil in a flash (which is unusual for that severe a pain). But it just goes to show that the whey protein seems to be rejuvenating my hormones and shall I say TONING even my uterus! HaHa! ;)

Btw this is my Green smoothie recipe that tastes just like a chocolate milkshake when my fridge finally got fixed and is working right so everything is chilled nicely. I also try to keep everything as organic as possible as I'm drinking this everyday:
• handfull of baby spinach
• handfull of kale or spring greens
• a sprinkle of blueberries (I try to use berries as much as possible for their low glycemic output as I'm very sensitive to sugars)
• baby carrots
• ground flaxseeds
• a couple of frozen strawberries
• sometimes I'll add a wee bit of goji berries (not too much as I get really weirdly tired in the pm if I put too much in my smoothie)
• camu camu powder (really high in vitamin C so I can absorb the iron in the kale)
• and my chocolate protein powder (I will be using unflavoured soon to get away from all sugars, natural or otherwise, and will then add either raw cocao powder-amazing taste and has all the vitamins/minerals intact, or vanilla powder)
Blend all in my ever so awesome Nutribullet and if I close my eyes it tastes just like a chocolate milkshake! To die for!! :D

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.