weight gain

kariev

Cathlete
i've read a few posts about how some of you have gained weight with sts. why do you think this happened? did you eat more? not enough cardio? adding muscle?

I gained a little bit of weight with STS, mostly fat. I'm sure some of it was muscle, as I did increase my upper body strength, but I also developed a bit of a "muffin top" for the first time in my life -- i.e. visible fat! I think the fat gain was mostly related to reducing my cardio. STS really took it out of me energy-wise and at first, I was often too tired, or too sore, to do my normal cardio load, so I went from 5 cardio sessions per week to 2. I was also dealing with IT Band syndrome which meant I had to ease off on my leg workouts. By the time I got into my groove and was no longer too tired or sore, I'd gotten into some bad habits and didn't put my cardio back up. This past December, I finally kicked up my workouts again and now the fluff around my waist is just about gone.

I'm just about ready to try another cycle of STS. This time I know I need to stay disciplined and keep my cardio up, and the fat should stay off. Getting some discipline in my eating habits should help too. :)

Are you doing STS, or planning to do it?

Stebby

I gained a little bit of weight with STS, mostly fat. I'm sure some of it was muscle, as I did increase my upper body strength, but I also developed a bit of a "muffin top" for the first time in my life -- i.e. visible fat! I think the fat gain was mostly related to reducing my cardio. STS really took it out of me energy-wise and at first, I was often too tired, or too sore, to do my normal cardio load, so I went from 5 cardio sessions per week to 2. I was also dealing with IT Band syndrome which meant I had to ease off on my leg workouts. By the time I got into my groove and was no longer too tired or sore, I'd gotten into some bad habits and didn't put my cardio back up. This past December, I finally kicked up my workouts again and now the fluff around my waist is just about gone.

I'm just about ready to try another cycle of STS. This time I know I need to stay disciplined and keep my cardio up, and the fat should stay off. Getting some discipline in my eating habits should help too. :)

Are you doing STS, or planning to do it?

Stebby

Thanks for the reply. I have not done STS as a complete rotation. I've really only done the workouts from meso 1 and 2 with no particular rotation. I have meso 3 but haven't done any of it except plyo. My body does much better with more cardio so thats why I haven't committed to it as i don't have the time to fit in cardio and STS.

I'm trying to lose weight and just finished Mesocycle 1 of STS. I am doing the 3 1/2 month rotation. I am watching what I eat (1500-1700 calories/day generally, but had a couple 2000 calorie days in the middle when I was reaaaaalllly hungry) and doing cardio (step & intervals mostly) on the alternate days with 1 rest day a week. I sometimes added a step premix to the end of the upper body STS workouts as well (when I still felt strong after the STS portion). I gained weight the first week, but I think that was my body adjusting to a new routine. I lost 7 lbs overall during the first Mesocycle. I'll be taking my measurements this weekend, but I'm wearing pants that are two sizes smaller than I wore 4 weeks ago. Looking forward to starting Mesocycle 2. You may need to be extra vigilant about your diet and cardio when doing the STS, but its possible to lose weight while doing it......

Weight Gain, too

I've been gaining weight, too, doing STS for the first time, but I am hungry! I need to get back into better snack habits, tho. Half of a saltine tube is not a good snack ;):p

I gained a little weight when I started STS as well. I think for me it's because of doing less cardio. I had been doing 6 days/week of fairly intense cardio. Now I'm doing the STS/Shock Cardio rotation, so even though some of the cardio is very intense, it's also much shorter in duration. This past week (week 4) I really focused on cutting back calories and finally have taken the weight back off. I'm going to stick with the 3 1/2 month rotation and see how it goes though.

i'm halfway through STS and have not gained anything. I've stayed steady around my goal weight. My problem has been that I'm very flabby around the mid-section! I know it's just going to take time to firm that up, but I'm starting to get a bit anxious about summer! I would love a new bikini this year (my first one in 6 years!), but not if I'm going to be jiggling my way across the sand!

I just finished mesocycle 1 this past week. I am now into my active recovery week. Doing lots of step/cardio, abs and stretches. I eat very "clean" and lost 6-7 pounds during meso 1. I eat almost every 3 hours a very healthy diet. I also did 3 cardio's per week with meso 1 like Cathe suggests. It was a very tiring and demanding month of exercise and am enjoying the recovery phase. That being said, I look forward to mesocycle 2...I love the challenge! So, hmm, I don't know if any of this helps...just adding my 2 cents worth.

~catchick

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.