upcoming workouts?

My wishlist LOL

I would love to see a slower heavier total body workout with all the newer combination lifts that we used in the rwh. I really like squat, up right row to press and stuff of that nature
or
total body low impact hiit (loved rwh circuit even though I had to modify the heck out of the high impact which takes some of the fun factor)
or
heavy upper/lower split or another upper/lower circuit hiit but low impact

My wishlist LOL

I would love to see a slower heavier total body workout with all the newer combination lifts that we used in the rwh. I really like squat, up right row to press and stuff of that nature
or
total body low impact hiit (loved rwh circuit even though I had to modify the heck out of the high impact which takes some of the fun factor)
or
heavy upper/lower split or another upper/lower circuit hiit but low impact

Like your suggestion cafelattee, It is a specific, precise and clear suggestion ;-)

My wishlist LOL

:D:D:DStuff of that nature fellow cathlete;)
What do you mean? lol Joking Compound moderate to heavy lift stuff.
Do not fear to list your wish basket lol:):)
At the end of the day we are the one involved in strength stuff;)

Yeah call me crazy but yes we love lifting and show must go on!;)

Music is SO important to a workout DVD's longevity. It isn't a live workout- you're doing it over and over, so the music needs to be well-done. (IMHO.) I was doing Legs and Glutes yesterday. It is not an easy workout if one heavies up! But the music is so good (to my ears, anyway) that it pushes me through to the end with relative ease. But some of Cathe's workouts, wonderfully designed as they all are, have either incredibly nondescript music or it simply isn't my style. I have to be honest- I just won't reach for those workouts much, if at all.

And not following the beat...oy vey. Cathe, I love you but please, no more off-the-beat stuff! It makes me nuts. All right, my rant for the day is over, LOL.

We understand the importance of music and that's why when it comes to music we spend more money and time than anyone we know in the business. This includes a wide variety of music selections through the years including sound a likes and custom made music that takes months to develop. I understand that if you're not knowledgeable about music licensing for video you may not understand why we don't use top songs that you hear on the radio, but this is not something that is possible to legally do. Hit songs for a video series would take years to negotiate by an experienced entertainment lawyer and would costs millions of dollars to license. We would have to charge a fortune for a single DVD to cover the costs and that is not something anyone would be willing to pay. We listen to what most other instructors use for music, including some of the larger fitness video companies, and frankly I think our music is usually far better - but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

As for going off beat that is something that has to be done for certain workouts and exercise movements. Heck, most videos nowadays don't even follow a beat at all. Unless we were to stick to making only steady state videos and using 3lb dumbbells it would be impossible to always use the beat of the music. Though we will continue to make videos that do follow a beat, we will also continue to make videos like heavy weight and HiiT workouts that don't follow a beat for some exercises, movements and rep patterns.

I know it's hard to break the habit of always following a beat, but with a little practice and effort it will become natural. Our club members had the same adaptation problem in the beginning but now don't even give it a second thought when switching back and forth on the beat. This is how most modern group fitness classes are taught nowadays. Though following a music beat certainly adds to the fun factor of a workout, you have to balance the fun with selecting weights, rep patterns and exercises that are best done off beat. Otherwise you sacrifice the effectiveness of the workout.

We understand the importance of music and that's why when it comes to music we spend more money and time than anyone we know in the business. This includes a wide variety of music selections through the years including sound a likes and custom made music that takes months to develop. I understand that if you're not knowledgeable about music licensing for video you may not understand why we don't use top songs that you hear on the radio, but this is not something that is possible to legally do. Hit songs for a video series would take years to negotiate by an experienced entertainment lawyer and would costs millions of dollars to license. We would have to charge a fortune for a single DVD to cover the costs and that is not something anyone would be willing to pay. We listen to what most other instructors use for music, including some of the larger fitness video companies, and frankly I think our music is usually far better - but I guess that is a matter of opinion.

As for going off beat that is something that has to be done for certain workouts and exercise movements. Heck, most videos nowadays don't even follow a beat at all. Unless we were to stick to making only steady state videos and using 3lb dumbbells it would be impossible to always use the beat of the music. Though we will continue to make videos that do follow a beat, we will also continue to make videos like heavy weight and HiiT workouts that don't follow a beat for some exercises, movements and rep patterns.

I know it's hard to break the habit of always following a beat, but with a little practice and effort it will become natural. Our club members had the same adaptation problem in the beginning but now don't even give it a second thought when switching back and forth on the beat. This is how most modern group fitness classes are taught nowadays. Though following a music beat certainly adds to the fun factor of a workout, you have to balance the fun with selecting weights, rep patterns and exercises that are best done off beat. Otherwise you sacrifice the effectiveness of the workout.

Very well stated. Thank you!!

I understand about the licensing issue, and actually, it doesn't matter to me if the tunes are recognizable or not. And I don't mind non-vocal music, not at all. I think that can be a good thing when you're trying to focus on the instructor's cues. I'm used to workouts that had music made especially for their workouts, and that can actually be better and less tiresome over the long haul than whatever pop tunes are on the radio at that moment. I personally find precise music-to-movement synchronization more motivating and easier to follow. Having a beat to match movement to helps one memorize the performance a bit more easily, particularly if they have two left feet like me. :) I stand by my request, but respect what you're saying.

I understand about the licensing issue, and actually, it doesn't matter to me if the tunes are recognizable or not. And I don't mind non-vocal music, not at all. I think that can be a good thing when you're trying to focus on the instructor's cues. I'm used to workouts that had music made especially for their workouts, and that can actually be better and less tiresome over the long haul than whatever pop tunes are on the radio at that moment. I personally find precise music-to-movement synchronization more motivating and easier to follow. Having a beat to match movement to helps one memorize the performance a bit more easily, particularly if they have two left feet like me. :) I stand by my request, but respect what you're saying.

I think when it's a steady state workout being made, music-to-movement synchronization is easier. When a hiit workout is being planned, finding music to match every move is much more difficult, and begins to sound disoriented. JMO.

Last edited:
Oh my I understand about the beat of it with HIIT I just really like music I am familiar with and I do like vocals. But that is y I really thought the option of vocals or not was very genius cause it is hard to please everyone! I did even like x train music even in places that was instrumental because I knew the songs so well. I just always reach for Cathe because I knew she had the best music then anyone. First workout I ever did was low max! What fun and a surprise to hear such music! I was used to hearing crapy music like on kathy smiths step VHS lol! So after years of not working out I got low max what a party I had! I fell on my butt but had a smile on my face and kept going. It was really fun then I bought low impact circuit the green top? Fun!! Then body blast! [emoji2]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

:D:D:DStuff of that nature fellow cathlete;)
What do you mean? lol Joking Compound moderate to heavy lift stuff.
Do not fear to list your wish basket lol:):)
At the end of the day we are the one involved in strength stuff;)

Yeah call me crazy but yes we love lifting and show must go on!;)

oh yeah I guess it not nature LOL but it feels great I had just finished the rwh upper body circuit when I made the post and loved that type of move all the multi position but would of loved being able to use heavier but do to the speed of that workout I only used 8lb or 10lb ? whatever Cathe suggested. I was just really wanting to slow down the move and ramp up the weight. I think I will just do it next time ;) for the whole circuit. :D

I've never really had an issue with the music in Cathe's workouts. I would say my least liked is Step, Jump, and Pump and it's only the step portion that I don't care for the music. But the music has never stopped me from doing a workout. I like to have a beat but once I start working out, I don't necessarily pay that much attention. Now when I walk outside or on my treadmill, I pick my music for what I'm doing. But I think Cathe's music selection is great, even in the live workouts. But I understand that everyone has there own taste and pace when working out so I can imagine it's had for you to find something to fit your needs. I understand where everyone is coming from and I think when typing, it's easy for someone to think you are being harsh but you're not, you're just stating your opinion. I'm glad to see that Cathe and SNM is always listening to our opinions.

Oh my I understand about the beat of it with HIIT I just really like music I am familiar with and I do like vocals. But that is y I really thought the option of vocals or not was very genius cause it is hard to please everyone! I did even like x train music even in places that was instrumental because I knew the songs so well. I just always reach for Cathe because I knew she had the best music then anyone. First workout I ever did was low max! What fun and a surprise to hear such music! I was used to hearing crapy music like on kathy smiths step VHS lol! So after years of not working out I got low max what a party I had! I fell on my butt but had a smile on my face and kept going. It was really fun then I bought low impact circuit the green top? Fun!! Then body blast! [emoji2]

I know what you mean Renee. That's why I love the music in IMax 2. Cathe has the best music. I thought I was going to fall asleep with Kathy Smith's step workout.

Last edited:
I'm loving this RWH! I'm already seeing results and I just got brave enough a couple of weeks ago to start it. I'd love to see an all low impact RWH, really just the two circuit workouts. I'm subbing from the low impact series though I can do some of the higher impact but I like the shorter lengths on the RWH series. I think this series is absolutely the best Cathe has done! I love it!

I've never really had an issue with the music in Cathe's workouts. I would say my least liked is Step, Jump, and Pump and it's only the step portion that I don't care for the music. But the music has never stopped me from doing a workout. I like to have a beat but once I start working out, I don't necessarily pay that much attention. Now when I walk outside or on my treadmill, I pick my music for what I'm doing. But I think Cathe's music selection is great, even in the live workouts. But I understand that everyone has there own taste and pace when working out so I can imagine it's had for you to find something to fit your needs. I understand where everyone is coming from and I think when typing, it's easy for someone to think you are being harsh but you're not, you're just stating your opinion. I'm glad to see that Cathe and SNM is always listening to our opinions.

Exactly, I never meant to sound harsh. Cathe generally has good music, and her production quality is superb, easily the best on the market. I can't be pleased all the time and would never expect to be. By and large I adore Cathe's workouts, and no one has worked harder than her to create a worthwhile home exercise catalog.

I am an auditory learner through and through. So it is very difficult for me personally to follow a workout without hearing the rhythm of the music the whole time, and for it to not match what I'm doing. I need verbal and/or musical cues badly since I can be a real klutz. :) Because of that, I LOVE the DVD option to make the music louder available on some of Cathe's stuff.

It may just be my TV and speaker system, I don't know, but volume of voice-to-music can cause me some quirky moments. It's not so much, "change the music, I don't like it" (most of it's fine, even fun), but perhaps the lower volume on some music in the workouts that can hurt my motivation or concentration. That is only me, though. I am probably unusual in needing the music and verbal cues so much.

Exactly, I never meant to sound harsh. Cathe generally has good music, and her production quality is superb, easily the best on the market. I can't be pleased all the time and would never expect to be. By and large I adore Cathe's workouts, and no one has worked harder than her to create a worthwhile home exercise catalog.

I am an auditory learner through and through. So it is very difficult for me personally to follow a workout without hearing the rhythm of the music the whole time, and for it to not match what I'm doing. I need verbal and/or musical cues badly since I can be a real klutz. :) Because of that, I LOVE the DVD option to make the music louder available on some of Cathe's stuff.

It may just be my TV and speaker system, I don't know, but volume of voice-to-music can cause me some quirky moments. It's not so much, "change the music, I don't like it" (most of it's fine, even fun), but perhaps the lower volume on some music in the workouts that can hurt my motivation or concentration. That is only me, though. I am probably unusual in needing the music and verbal cues so much.

When I first started cathe I had the same issues I even posted asking for which of he workouts had the music pumped but got no reply. I've since started making my own playlist that fit the workouts for me. There is several music sources online that tell you rpm of a song so what I did was do the workouts with my heart monitor and then found songs that keep up to that beat I don't have perfect sinc but enough to really enjoy my workouts. It helps keep me pumped when doing hiit and intervals.

I also use my laptop connected to my stereo and my music is lound but I was teen of the 80's LOL. My 18 and 21 year old love my 70-90's music but they just don't listen to music as loud as my dh and I

When I started Turbo Jam years ago it has a pump up volume plus I added it to the stereo by boys hated the siren sound for the turbos (which were small high interval) Fatblaster which was my first hiit had the sirens sound all through it. The other day I got it out just for fun its way to easy to me now but my whole family were oh no not that thing. I workout in the basement but my music is at club level LOL

Oh and my first Cathe Muscle max, low inpact challenge ?, and the Superset/Pushpull cause of the music. They sold me on Cathe but now I'm all Cathe but have to make her stuff work for me.

Oh and I'm a big klutz I had to watch the first interval on low impact challenge like 45 min I was so turned around when they would go over the step and crap. I finally got where I could do the routine but never in time with the Cathe. I don't use the step stuff at all anymore I loved the music to SKP, StepBlast etc but just looked like I was tripping all over the place.
But I love the step that's athletic just not hop/dance/turn/peg leg/pivot --- trip, fall, always on the wrong side of the step laughing at self workouts LOL

Lol I agree this is what I do !! I have mine up really loud! Another thing I do is if a workout is on the floor and not o complex I will use disco lights lol or strobe light! I know a little to much? But what ever gets me going is what I think!
I agree I also love RWH to along with x train an LIS I think Cathe gets better with every series!

When I first started cathe I had the same issues I even posted asking for which of he workouts had the music pumped but got no reply. I've since started making my own playlist that fit the workouts for me. There is several music sources online that tell you rpm of a song so what I did was do the workouts with my heart monitor and then found songs that keep up to that beat I don't have perfect sinc but enough to really enjoy my workouts. It helps keep me pumped when doing hiit and intervals.

I also use my laptop connected to my stereo and my music is lound but I was teen of the 80's LOL. My 18 and 21 year old love my 70-90's music but they just don't listen to music as loud as my dh and I

When I started Turbo Jam years ago it has a pump up volume plus I added it to the stereo by boys hated the siren sound for the turbos (which were small high interval) Fatblaster which was my first hiit had the sirens sound all through it. The other day I got it out just for fun its way to easy to me now but my whole family were oh no not that thing. I workout in the basement but my music is at club level LOL

Oh and my first Cathe Muscle max, low inpact challenge ?, and the Superset/Pushpull cause of the music. They sold me on Cathe but now I'm all Cathe but have to make her stuff work for me.

Oh and I'm a big klutz I had to watch the first interval on low impact challenge like 45 min I was so turned around when they would go over the step and crap. I finally got where I could do the routine but never in time with the Cathe. I don't use the step stuff at all anymore I loved the music to SKP, StepBlast etc but just looked like I was tripping all over the place.
But I love the step that's athletic just not hop/dance/turn/peg leg/pivot --- trip, fall, always on the wrong side of the step laughing at self workouts LOL

Oh, the envy I'm feeling that you have a basement and can crank the music up that way. I live in an apartment complex with 11 other neighbors in my building alone and can't do that. :(

I thought about getting some good wireless headphones and that way I'd not bother my neighbors, yet have optimum (and louder!) music in my ears. The things I consider doing and spending money on for fitness, LOL. :D

I would like Cathe to do another video series that involves phases that increase with varying intensity as you progress through the program. The first phase can be composed of total body workouts that involve the big compound movement like squats and overheard presses and whatnot. The next several phases can involve more splits and isolation movements along with super sets, drop sets, burn sets, hit and plyometrics.

I actually got this routine from the Buff Dudes. They have a popular fitness channel on Youtube. I would LOVE to see Cathe give her spin on this routine.

I never really had an issue with the music either. Music is just way too subjective to satisfy everyone's taste. I actually prefer non-descript instrumental music or music with a thumping baseline when I'm doing hiit or weight training, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. As long as the actual workout is descent then I'm all good.

I never really had an issue with the music either. Music is just way too subjective to satisfy everyone's taste. I actually prefer non-descript instrumental music or music with a thumping baseline when I'm doing hiit or weight training, but it's certainly not a deal breaker. As long as the actual workout is descent then I'm all good.

Same for me. 100% in Agreement with coaccountant. Everyone is different.
Instrumental music is recommended for weight training. It is the suitable and recommended teaching format.
I also prefer it and it helps to focus.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.