Undulating Periodization Rotation

SteppingFool

Cathlete
Cathe,

I think I would prefer to do undulation rotation with STS. Can you post some examples how STS can be utilized with undulatiing periodization? Also, with each rotation, can you post the purpose of the rotation?

Thanks.

I also plan to do undulation periodization. I decided to use STS with this cycle because in 2008 I did a year of one month periodization of endurance, hypertrophy and strength. I plan to utilize STS as follows:

Week one meso one- week one
week two- meso two- week one
week three- meso three- week one
week four - meso one -week two
week five meso two - week two
week six meso three- week two
week seven- meso one, week three
week eight- meso two -week three
week nine meso three- week three
week ten - meso one -week four
week eleven meso two - week four
week twelve - meso three- week four

What is Undulation Periodzation (sp)?

I have never heard of this before. Of course, I am very new to the whole periodization method of strength training.

I'm also planning to do an undulating STS periodization, but after I finish with the linear as is.
I will do a second 1RM test after the initial 3 months and adjust the weights to move on to undulating rotation.
I am pretty sure that Cathe will provide us with an alternate (undulating) periodization rotation when things settle down over there... :)

Chris.

My first post in a couple years! This one caught my eye as I have been doing a couple undulating periodization rotations on my own this winter.

Amy, if I may answer your question, "undulating periodization" is either doing full body workouts 3x week, a split or one body part a week with varying poundage and reps.
e.g: For a full body workout, the first workout you do 3-4 sets of 5-6 reps of each exercise with your heaviest weight, the 2nd workout you do 2-3 sets of 8-10 reps of each exercise with medium to heavy poundage. The 3rd for the week you do 2-4 sets of 12-15 reps with your lightest weight. (hypertrophy, strength, endurance). By increasing and decreasing the training volume and intensity regularly, you "confuse" the muscles, leading to greater growth, (or so the theory goes;)

I had thought about doing this with the STS, but am also going to do it as is, and then the next time I may try it.

Last edited:
That really explains it well. Thanks Marih

Regina do you take a recovery week every three weeks?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.