Tonight I'm obsessed with singer Michael W. Smith

BAM

Cathlete
Unfortunately things have been more difficult than usual for me lately. I never made it out of my pj's today. I've been playing on youtube trying to think of songs that I'd like to hear. One of my favorites is "Place in This World" by Michael W. Smith. So I've been listening to it over and over and crying and decided to at least have my tears be productive so I did a little research on him. I think I'm in love! :eek: He's had quite a go of it and turned his life around and is successful in so many areas of his life. He's SO cute in the video which was shot several years ago. His looks have changed somewhat throughout the years (hey, whose hasn't) but for my saddened state today, I think I will maintain the image of him in that video. At least my spirits get lifted for a moment. ;)

If anyone's interested, here are the links.
Bam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzst4XavuQ&feature=PlayList&p=D75A9D5971AE605D&index=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_W._Smith

Bam,
Sorry you were feeling down, hope you are doing better today! Michael W. Smith is one of my favorite singers, his songs are very inspirational. He is in a great movie called "The Second Chance". You should watch it, I think you would like it!

Feel better!

Finally, someone who has heard of Michael W. Smith!!! I just went to his concert last Thursday with Steven Curtis Chapman and everyone looks at me like I have two heads when I say who it was. :) Oh, and as far as his looks, he looks GREAT! I was right up front so I can attest to that! ;)

Bam, I hope his music cheered you up!

Amber Liann - Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman have two of my all-time favorite Christmas albums. Chapman's "This Baby" is such a great song. I typically like 'traditional' holiday music, but "This Baby" is great.

I think I'm going to dig out my Michael W. Smith "Go West Young Man" CD and give it a spin or two!

Amber Liann - Michael W. Smith and Steven Curtis Chapman have two of my all-time favorite Christmas albums. Chapman's "This Baby" is such a great song. I typically like 'traditional' holiday music, but "This Baby" is great.

I think I'm going to dig out my Michael W. Smith "Go West Young Man" CD and give it a spin or two!

Jilly - I LOVE MWS's Christmas Album! We went to his Christmas concert last year in Reading and it was amazing - he had a full orchestra behind him. I will have to check out SCC's this year. :)

Unfortunately things have been more difficult than usual for me lately. I never made it out of my pj's today. I've been playing on youtube trying to think of songs that I'd like to hear. One of my favorites is "Place in This World" by Michael W. Smith. So I've been listening to it over and over and crying and decided to at least have my tears be productive so I did a little research on him. I think I'm in love! :eek: He's had quite a go of it and turned his life around and is successful in so many areas of his life. He's SO cute in the video which was shot several years ago. His looks have changed somewhat throughout the years (hey, whose hasn't) but for my saddened state today, I think I will maintain the image of him in that video. At least my spirits get lifted for a moment. ;)

If anyone's interested, here are the links.
Bam

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dzst4XavuQ&feature=PlayList&p=D75A9D5971AE605D&index=0

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michael_W._Smith

I have listened to him for years! "Place in this world" has been one of my favorite songs for nearly 20 years now. It's beautiful! I think it came out in '90-'91?

Another GREAT song!!! :)

Finally, someone who has heard of Michael W. Smith!!! I just went to his concert last Thursday with Steven Curtis Chapman and everyone looks at me like I have two heads when I say who it was. :) Oh, and as far as his looks, he looks GREAT! I was right up front so I can attest to that! ;)

We love Steven Curtis Chapman in our house! My DH has been on a SCC kick this past year and at Christmas was playing his Christmas CD all the time!!!! :D

Don't know who he is, but I'm glad he has affected you in a positive manner. Music is wonderful that way.

Wishing you better days ahead. <3 :)

Bam ~ My heart goes out to you. I've had days (or times) like what you described. Thanks for the link -- never heard of Michael Smith before. He seems so passionate about his music and it helps me to see that passion for and within life. Whatever it's channeled for, however it manifests, I think that's crucial. I can lose sight of it or lose steam. That's when I just (at least want to) stay in my jammies all day. Other people's light and passion can help "remind" me, even if I can't jump right back up in a flood of enthusiasm and zest for life. Still, it gives me hope. It also helps to know you aren't "alone." Thanks for sharing your experience. Like the other post said, music's a powerful resource. Your heart was wise to seek it out, I think. Sharing where you're at, that was brave and good too. I hope this time passes quickly for you. ~ Lori

Thanks everyone! I don't have any of his cd's but I'd like to get one. Because I love "Place in This World", I'd like to get a cd that has that one on it. It came out in 1990 and I don't see a greatest hits cd. If I was only going to get one, which would you recommend? I did hear about his Christmas cd and will probably get that around the holidays.

Liann, wow, you were up close last week at his concert and you saw him at Christmas? I'm jealous. So, he's still lookin' great. I hope I get a chance to see that for myself someday! :D I looked at his schedule and he will not be performing near me. :(

JesusLives, I definitely am going to look for his movie. I was reading about it last night. I couldn't find it at the library online but I will keep looking.

Bam

Bam ~ My heart goes out to you. I've had days (or times) like what you described. Thanks for the link -- never heard of Michael Smith before. He seems so passionate about his music and it helps me to see that passion for and within life. Whatever it's channeled for, however it manifests, I think that's crucial. I can lose sight of it or lose steam. That's when I just (at least want to) stay in my jammies all day. Other people's light and passion can help "remind" me, even if I can't jump right back up in a flood of enthusiasm and zest for life. Still, it gives me hope. It also helps to know you aren't "alone." Thanks for sharing your experience. Like the other post said, music's a powerful resource. Your heart was wise to seek it out, I think. Sharing where you're at, that was brave and good too. I hope this time passes quickly for you. ~ Lori

Thanks, Lori, for your insight. We all go through tough times and we need something to help us through. Michael W. Smith is very uplifting. Thank you for taking an interest in someone who you hadn't heard of. I hope your similar days to mine are far and few between. Sometimes it just becomes harder to pull yourself through.

Bam

Bam - Here is what he looks like now (on left):

MWS.jpg

Michael W. Smith is my favorite christain singer. I have all of his music on my ipod!! I agree he is really quite the handsome man. I have been listening to his music since 1992 or so.

I am glad to see others on this forum enjoy his music.

Liann so how was the concert Steven Curtis Chapman and Michael W. Smith would be truly like heaven!! It is so uplifting for the heart and the soul!!!

Cheryl

Cheryl - The concert was pretty good - very long though. They both sang for an hour 15 minutes each! Stephen Curtis Chapman had me in tears at least 3 times. His 5 yr. old daughter died in a tragic accident about 10 months ago (his son hit her in the driveway) and he talked about that a few times and sang some songs that she had inspired. Not sure there was a dry eye in the house. They performed several songs together and MWS performed one of his piano pieces from the CD "Freedom" (It's all orchestra - no words). That was the highlight for me - he is AMAZING on the piano! And yes, he is one incredibly HANDSOME man!!!

Last edited:
I love Michael W. Smith. When I was a teenager, I went to see him perform at a friend's church. Just him at a piano in a very small fellowship hall. Who else would perform at such a humble venue? He's great, and he lives here in Nashville and does a lot of outreach. He, Amy Grant and Rich Mullins were constantly playing on my stereo when I was growing up!

Bam,

I also love Michael W. Smith's music, and Steven Curtis Chapmann. Both excellent singers with such positive, inspirational songs! I have MWS's cd called "Worship" and it is excellent!! I love each and every song!! "Place in this World" isn't on that CD, it is more christian based songs, but they will uplift you for sure!

I also saw the movie "The Second Chance" and is was really good. MWS did a great job acting too, I had no idea he could be an actor! Do you have a Blockbuster near you? I rented it from there.

Hope you are feeling better today! :)

I love Michael W. Smith. When I was a teenager, I went to see him perform at a friend's church. Just him at a piano in a very small fellowship hall. Who else would perform at such a humble venue? He's great, and he lives here in Nashville and does a lot of outreach. He, Amy Grant and Rich Mullins were constantly playing on my stereo when I was growing up!

Rich Mullins! The world lost a great artist when he passed away. My husband introduced me to his music ("Songs") - I'd never heard of him!

Nicole C. Mullen and Kevin Max are two favorites of mine.

Amber Liann, thanks so much for the pic! He really is a cutie. When I was watching the Place in This World video (and watched, and watched, and watched ;) ) somehow I was able to muster up thoughts of what I'd like to do to him (ooh, is that Christian like? :eek:) even through my yucky state of being.

Christine, I do have a Blockbuster near me. I'll be on my way there soon! :D

Bam

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.