Tendonitis, anyone?

complik8td

Cathlete
Hey folks! I am curious if any of you are coping w/tendonitis, and if so, how do you maintain your weight training program while coping w/it? I ignored the problem for quite a while, but in addition to weight training, the repetitive motion of my job caused the pain to worsen. My family doc gave me a cortisone shot @ 3 months ago and he suggested that I wear a tennis elbow band. I wear the band when I'm using weights, but it's uncomfortable to wear at work. The cortisone shot took away the pain for the past 3 months, but alas, the pain has returned. :( I suppose I can ask my doc for another shot, but is there a permanent solution to curing tendonitis? I cannot give up my weight training, or my job... NO WAY! Any tips and/or suggestions would be most greatly appreciated. TYIA!

I do not have tendonitis so feel free to ignore this if you want. My problem is bursistis and arthritis in my right shoulder. Here is a little of my backgroud, I have severe episodes a couple times a year when I can barley move my arm and then I get muscle spasms along the right side of my spine that wrap around to the front of my chest. This has been going on for about 3 years now. After repeated physical therapy (which didn't really help) and going to the chiropractor (which helps a little), the doctor finally gave me an mri which showed the bursitis and arthritis. He told me to avoid cortisone shots and if I get to the point where I can't move my arm at all for an extended period of time I should look into surgery. I know some people who get corisone shots on a regular basis and swear by them.

Daily, my shoulder feels like there is something wrong with it. It feels weak. I have to watch how I lift groceries etc, can't reach in the back of the car from the front seat etc.
So, back to your question, what I have done in the past is
1. Stop working out altogether for at least a month when the pain is awful.
2. Don't raise my arm when I am doing cardio (I don't do a lot of the big arm motions with my right arm).
3. Use very light weights when working my shoulder and during chest flys/presses.
4. Avoid anything where I put extra pressure on my shoulder (pushup/plank position, overhead press).

I really felt better overall after I took 2 months off all exercise at the end of last year. I don't think I ever did that before. It gave my shoulder a chance to rest. The problem in this was my eating was awful.

I guess I would say take time off from weights lifting when it is bad. Also, are there weight moves you can do that don't effect your elbow that you can continue to do? Anyhow, sorry for rambling.
Melissa

Yep, I'm the queen of tendonitis. :D I get it in various places, sometimes worse than others. I'm just learning as I go how to work around it. I don't mean pushing through it, but just finding ways to stay active without irritating it. That may mean eliminating a particular exercise permanently because it just causes trouble. Or finding a new way to do an exercise - like using dumbbells as grips when I do pushups to spare my wrists.

My personal experience with tendonitis is that it's a chronic situation, but that's just something I have to live with. It not true for everyone - most people do recover from it with proper treatment. I think the biggest factor is REST. It's one of those repetitive motion injuries, so as long as you keep using the damaged part, it won't heal. I've read that splinting at night can help a lot, because it will keep the tendon from contracting, so it'll get several hours of good rest while you're totally relaxed.

I've also read that repeated cortisone shots can actually weaken the tendon. I can't remember the reasoning behind it, but I'd be careful if you choose that route.

Anyhow, it's a weird sort of injury that you just sort of have to feel your way through, day by day. I sure hope you get some relief.

ETA: And yes, it may mean accepting a "lower" level of fitness than you prefer. But what's worse - smaller biceps or being in constant pain?

Last edited:
Melissa and Shannon ~ Thank you very much for your replies. I'm sorry to hear that you are experiencing painful situations as I am, but misery loves company :eek: so, thanks for responding. I hear you loud and clear.... REST, REST, REST, and re-think the weight bearing exercises to alleviate the pain. In this case... "no pain, no gain" rings true, b/c if I'm in pain, there ain't no gain! :p Oh, this aging thing is a real bummer, eh? :( I will do some research on the subject and have a chat w/my doc to see what he recommends for me. Thanks again very much!! Your replies are greatly appreciated! :) Take care and be well!

I have tendonitis but I have it in my both of my knees. It is a thorn in my side. I used to be able to do so much and enjoyed working out but now I don't. My knees always hurt. I still do what I can but the whole time I am thinking about my knees. :(

My DD had patellar tendonitis & ITBS last summer from running. Her orthopedist said not to do any quad work as it would aggravate her tendonitis. (this even precluded running in a pool, which is often recommended for runners w/ knees issues.)

She worked w/ an awesome Certified Athletic Trainer who did trigger point massage on her knee, foam rolling & lots of total body strengthening & stretching. Training on an agility ladder was a big part of their sessions, to improve her running form. DD was able to run w/o any problems w/in just 3 weeks and kept up mileage of 25 miles per week after that while running cross country for school.

So, my advice is find someone who really knows about this stuff as it makes a HUGE difference in your recovery time! Ignoring it or working thru the pain only makes it worse and can lead to serious, debilitating injuries. There are girls on my DD's team that have torn tendons & incurred stress fractures (hip & tibia) from ignoring "minor" injuries while continuing to train.

Tennis Elbow Surgery

Old thread. I am having tennis elbow debridement surgery on Monday. I'm a li'l skeered. :eek: Two to three month recovery period. :( Waaaaahhhhh..... :( I guess things could be worse. I already miss my Cathe workouts. :(

Carol, good luck and a speedy recovery to you. Hopefully it will give you longterm relief.
Melissa

For the first time in my life I developed tendonitis in my achilles while my DH and I were on a 100k bike (cycling) ride. That was a week and a half ago and I still have not gotten back on the bike. I thought it was better tonight so I decided to go on a 5 mile run...well, I had to walk the last mile because I just could not take the pain anymore.

Does this ever go away? What is the deal?

I've had tendinitis in both elbows since I was 17...it comes and goes and I've learned to be very protective of it. In the past it has gotten so bad I could barely brush my hair and teeth, and my dr has had me take meds and wear slings for weeks on end. I don't know anything about the procedure you're having, but know how bad the pain must be.

I haven't had a major flare since my 20's...I'm older and wiser now, and accept my limitations. Wish I knew then what I know now...I could have saved myself a lot of pain...I guess I'm very lucky in that rest and avoidance almost always works. Now I back off immediately if I start to feel even a twinge...I just abandoned STS M1 because I had a bad day w the push ups. :-( Might have been a fluke, but anybody who's gone through tendonitis knows why I stopped. There are so many other workouts to do...it's better than having a flare up and not being able to do anything! I've also had to abandon doing laundry for this same reason...somehow that doesn't bother me nearly as much!

I hope all goes well and you're feeling better soon...and can leave the pain of tendinitis behind. Is hard not to work out, but think of it as a really good rest for your body...some athletes take extended time off during their off season, so you're just rejuvenating like they do...you'll be back stronger than ever before you know it!

I see that my previous post here was in June, 2011. I've been dealing with it ever since, & no, it has not gone away. :( I've given my elbow complete & total rest (did everything including brushing my teeth with the other arm) for months, been through physical therapy, been to a chiropractor, worn a brace, given it more rest - all to no avail. It is very frustrating because ANY upper body weight work aggravates it - even lateral raises with very light weights. Even house work hurts, & of course, I always manage to hit it on corners. :mad: I understand about your missing your Cathe workouts, but I hope that the surgery helps you so that you don't continue to suffer! Good luck!

Jane Royse said:
I see that my previous post here was in June, 2011. I've been dealing with it ever since, & no, it has not gone away. :( I've given my elbow complete & total rest (did everything including brushing my teeth with the other arm) for months, been through physical therapy, been to a chiropractor, worn a brace, given it more rest - all to no avail. It is very frustrating because ANY upper body weight work aggravates it - even lateral raises with very light weights. Even house work hurts, & of course, I always manage to hit it on corners. :mad: I understand about your missing your Cathe workouts, but I hope that the surgery helps you so that you don't continue to suffer! Good luck!

Jane -

You have my complete sympathy...that's how I was for a long time. I consider myself so extremely lucky now that I seem to have it up under control. I hope you're some relief. It's hard to understand how debilitating it is if you haven't experienced it!

I get this in my left wrist often. I treat it with cold/hot intervals and ibuprofin. Usually goes away in a day or two. I just had this last week. I wear a wrist brace and can still do weights. I have learned to deal with it when it acts up.

Thank you all for your well wishes and for sharing your own experiences coping with tendonitis. Yes, ALL upper body work causes it to flare up...oh my! And yes, the pain is so bad sometimes that it is difficult to brush the teeth and fix the hair...ugh! I will report back and let you know how the surgery went. As I understand it, the majority of people who undergo the operation have successful outcomes. I pray that I will be in that majority. Thanks again! :)

Carol...how did your surgery go? I had my debriedment on 8/30/12. Two weeks in a long arm cast and two in a short cast. Just came out of it last Monday. I'm doing pretty good but still feel discomfort but believe that to be from surgery and lack of use. My pt consists of ROM right now and in a few weeks I start working the tendon. So far I feel I made the right choice.

It would be great to chat with someone going through the same thing at the same time. Let me know :)

Laura

Hellooooo......I am bumping a very old thread.

Laura, somehow I missed your last post, but I'm glad we connected through PM, and I hope you're still feeling well. My surgery was very successful (seems like it was ages ago), and things had been going well until this past week when my OTHER elbow decided to tell me who's boss. :( I'm sooooo disappointed! I JUST bought some of Cathe's older strength training DVDs that I had had on VHS, and I'm signed up for Glassboro!! :mad:

I now see a functional medicine practitioner and I happened to have an appointment with her the other day, so I mentioned my elbow pain to her during my visit. She said, "well, no more surgery." I am going to call her Monday and ask what her recommendation is to heal this thing.... ASAP!! Oh boo hiss..... :(

Unfortunately, I have tendonitis in my right elbow. I've had it for years. Every once in awhile it rears it's ugly head. Especially if I am lifting very heavy. I wear a brace when I lift, and it does help. I think the repetitive motion of my job at the time (firefighter, coupling and uncoupling hoses) was the culprit.

Hello complik8td,

Any GOOD NEWS on the functional medicine practitioner on what to do with the tendonitis? Sending you some virtual {{{{{healling}}}} wishes.

Hello FireLight,

Thanks so much for asking. My FMP recommended acupuncture. I came across that as a therapy option while doing my own research, but I went ahead and set up three appointments with my chiro instead (for now) because she treated the tendonitis and bursitis in my shoulder with ultrasound, and those treatments felt phenomenal and relieved all my pain. I'm hoping I'll have the same result with my elbow. I had actually tried acupuncture for my shoulder at the outset, and it didn't help at all, although the treatment was very relaxing. I do like acupuncture --- the feeling afterward is like the one you get if you have a massage --- aaaahhhh, but it didn't relieve my pain. I'm giving myself this week off from exercising altogether and it's KILLING ME!!! :( I'll probably go to spin class Friday morning, but that's all. Thanks again for asking, and for the healing wishes!!! :)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.