STS Total Body or High Reps

I got Total Body for Xmas too! I like Total Body a lot, but of course I don't have High Reps to compare it to.
Total Body is very challenging for me cardio wise and weight wise. Thought I was taking it too easy with the 65% IRM and I was just about too stiff to come down my stairs the next day!
That being said, I do plan on buying High Reps at some point.

I like High Reps better. I don't feel as rushed as I do during TB. I actually pause TB like some of the others in order to lift heavy. High Reps will be what I reach for to get energized and get a quicker total body work out.

I'm going to do the Gym Style workouts starting next week and thought for sure I would want to go (3rd set failure?) - heavier than I did with STS Total Body. Both STS Total Body & High Reps seemed to have more explosive type moves and quicker pace, High Reps slightly more than STS TB but both more than the Gym Styles? I'm already thinking I may do them slower, as I did to start with Pure Strength.

Did anyone find differences for the two new ones vs. what you typically use in Gym Styles?

TIA
Linda

Hi Reps is nothing like Gym Styles in any way!

STS is closer to Gym Styles, but not a carbon copy any means.

You do 16 reps in a tri set, get a VERY brief rest, then repeat the same tri set for 12 reps.

Cathe uses the sliding discs even in STS Total Body and she does exercises in different ways in STS Total Body. Gym Styles is very basic whereas STS Total Body is a bit more innovative.

I did STS Total Body after the Step Portion of Intensity and I feel sore in a good way.

I really don't get many DOMs with High Reps even though I use high weight and work almost to failure.

I still love Hi Reps though - it is high on the fun factor yet is very challenging.

I just find STS Total Body to be more my workout stye.

Of course Meoscycle 2 of STS is the one that worked me out best in the entire STS series.

Thanks everyone for continuing to share your opinions on TB, High Reps and how they fit into the whole scheme of things. I've read and enjoyed all your posts! --Jeanne

I would recommend looking into the 1 rm. When you do the test, you aren't lifting something that is so heavy you can only lift it once - that would be dangerous potentially, as you say. The test has you figure out what weight you can do 10- 12 times and not be able to do any more...and then the workout manager figures out what your 1 rm would be. The workout manager in turn determines what 60% of your 1 rm is, or 65, 70% etc so you can select the correct weight for you during the workout. Many of us were pleasantly surprised at how heavy we could lift (without injuring ourselves) as we proceeded through STS. A very empowering feeling. I think it is really great that you can figure out what weight to use for STS total body instead of just guessing - "oh this is about what I can lift". A lot of us underestimate how much to lift that way and don't even realize it. Just one more thing Cathe has taught me.

But having said all that, some people are just not 1 rm people and you can still get a great workout in if you don't determine your 1rm.

Just wanted to throw my $0.02 in there.

-sarah

High reps Question

Okay, this is the third discussion on High Reps I posted to today. I am hoping to get some advice on this. I also bought this one and would like to know how everyone thinks it should be used. I am trying to lose fat and maintain and/or gain muscle mass as I lose the fat. I know this is virtually impossible for some, but I am "untrained", so am hoping I will get the benefit of muscle memory and beginner gains to get me going again.

Is high reps enough to use as weight training 3x a week for a few weeks, along with extra cardio sessions?

Or should I be doing Gym Styles and/or Slow & Heavy? I have these too..

I just want to know how high reps should be used to get maximum results. Any opinions would be helpful.

Okay, this is the third discussion on High Reps I posted to today. I am hoping to get some advice on this. I also bought this one and would like to know how everyone thinks it should be used. I am trying to lose fat and maintain and/or gain muscle mass as I lose the fat. I know this is virtually impossible for some, but I am "untrained", so am hoping I will get the benefit of muscle memory and beginner gains to get me going again.

Is high reps enough to use as weight training 3x a week for a few weeks, along with extra cardio sessions?

Or should I be doing Gym Styles and/or Slow & Heavy? I have these too..

I just want to know how high reps should be used to get maximum results. Any opinions would be helpful.

I am one of those people that can definitely lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Don't tell that to Body For Life people either! Since your first goal is to lose fat, and maintain muscle, I would chose High Reps over Gym Styles (for now). You'll burn more calories initially with High Reps and work the muscle at the same time and depending on how hard you lift, may gain slightly in size/definition. Gym Styles is based around good old fashion heavy lifting. You won't burn as many calories up front, although as you develop muscle the overall ratio will change. Everyone responds differently though. When I got this workout, I was doing High Reps, STS Total Body and Lower Body Blast every other day. I wasn't trying to lose, but I dropped 7 pounds in a month :confused: without changing anything. At first I was alarmed because I don't want to lose muscle, but when I got on my scale (which measures body fat/water/muscle) I was relieved to find my fat percentage dropped and muscle increased. For me, Cathe's full body workouts, including Power Hour do that for me.

That is Great News

DirtDiva:

Thanks for replying. I was trying to get an answer before I do my workouts today. I just didn't want to undo some of my muscle development and don't want to lose fat right along with muscle either, so this helps. I was using another program last week - Kelly Coffey weights and my scale showed that my fat went down and muscle up over the last 2 weeks, so that's what I want to achieve.

I will try high reps then and see how it goes. I guess I can also lift a little heavier with it too.

I tend to develop muscle pretty eaily from previous experience with other programs, but have been off exercise for the last eight months. Thanks for your input.

I am one of those people that can definitely lose fat and gain muscle at the same time. Don't tell that to Body For Life people either! Since your first goal is to lose fat, and maintain muscle, I would chose High Reps over Gym Styles (for now). You'll burn more calories initially with High Reps and work the muscle at the same time and depending on how hard you lift, may gain slightly in size/definition. Gym Styles is based around good old fashion heavy lifting. You won't burn as many calories up front, although as you develop muscle the overall ratio will change. Everyone responds differently though. When I got this workout, I was doing High Reps, STS Total Body and Lower Body Blast every other day. I wasn't trying to lose, but I dropped 7 pounds in a month :confused: without changing anything. At first I was alarmed because I don't want to lose muscle, but when I got on my scale (which measures body fat/water/muscle) I was relieved to find my fat percentage dropped and muscle increased. For me, Cathe's full body workouts, including Power Hour do that for me.

I like how you alternated the workouts. Were you doing cardio on days inbetween?

I like how you alternated the workouts. Were you doing cardio on days inbetween?

I know this is going to be unconventional, and there are some that feel lifting every day is counter-productive. So I need to state that upfront, this is only how I do it.

I love Cathe's full body workouts, I use them as an aerobic- style weight training tool. In my case, I have a full gym in the basement all courtesy of a fanatic husband (who has also now fallen in love with STS) and we've been doing this for years. So lifting heavy for me is squats 265, bench press 120, one-armed rows 50, pulldowns 130, and so on. When I do STS, I follow it closely and I take adequate rest days. In comparison with the full body workouts, I go really light on weights, nothing heavier then 40 pounds. So I can do these every day...and that's what I did. Going back over my Polar, this is what it looked like:

Monday - rest
Tuesday - STS Total Body
Wednesday - Lower Body Blast
Thursday - High Reps
Friday- STS Total Body
Saturday - Lower Body Blast
Sunday - High Reps

I did these workouts in the morning because in the afternoon I usually was either xc skiing or something to do on the trainer later that night. Cardio was definitely in there but not cardio in the form of a scheduled workout, just fun stuff and not every day either. Looking at the dates, I followed this for 5 weeks too. That's where the most weight loss happened. Currently I've changed back to heavy lifting for one month, so I alternate days carefully again.

Again, I know this goes against a lot of the stuff I read on this forum. I don't mesh well with rules such as doing too much HIIT in a week or back to back light lifting. I think the most important thing though, is to listen to what your body is telling you. If you are suddenly run-down, tired and achy, then you need to rest and acclimate. Plus I can't say too much about getting in that 7 hours of sleep every night. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the response. I don't think my body would handle that rotation well. I need more recovery time. Looks great though.

I just did STS total body today and I loved it! Its a close call but I almost think I like TB better then HR though they are both good. I loved the triset setup in this workout. It kept my HR up the whole time.

I just did STS total body today and I loved it! Its a close call but I almost think I like TB better then HR though they are both good. I loved the triset setup in this workout. It kept my HR up the whole time.

I don't know which one I like the best...Total Body, High Reps or Lower Body Blast. Looking over my Polar calendar, I burn the most with Total Body and I know its because you have to move faster with the tri-sets. Now Intensity...I am having major issues learning Step, and I have only been doing the non-step portion. I wish I was more coordinated.

Moomare!! They aren't available YET! Were you aware that you will get the sliding discs free when you pre-order Cathe's new Low Impact series? Wheee! I would imagine they will have them for sale separately also once they come in! I love gliding/sliding!!

Could you please direct me where to go to purchase the sliding discs?
Thank you :eek:

I agree Debbie, I did High Reps again yesterday and It took a few times to get the right feel or balance but now I find the sliding fun and empowering. I also love the abs at the end. That routine really pushes me and after several times through I finally finished the L ones-Oh Boy they are tough at the end. Kat

katie lee said:
I agree Debbie, I did High Reps again yesterday and It took a few times to get the right feel or balance but now I find the sliding fun and empowering. I also love the abs at the end. That routine really pushes me and after several times through I finally finished the L ones-Oh Boy they are tough at the end. Kat

Katie, we use the gliders in my class. When I first introduced them to my students I could see some frustration as the attempted to move them but once we gave it a few tries, they like them now! Well, the don't like, like them but like the results! Ha! It does get easier after you master the whole balance issue. I can't wait for Cathe's new workout!!!! I just might have to pull out High Reps today. :)

STS Sweat Fest

If you don't mind me butting in here :D I can tell you that its pretty much an even divide on who likes STS or High Reps better. And then many enjoy both equally. STS actually gets the heart rate up nicely too so be prepared to lift and sweat. High Reps uses the sliding discs in new innovative ways that will make your legs scream :eek:

Have fun with STS :)

This is the first time I did the lower body section of Total Body. I can't believe how much sweat poured off of me. My notes from yesterday got caught in a few splashes and the ink is washed away. I guess I will use pencil from now on.

Melissa

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.