STS Total Body or High Reps

In general I get better results with high rep workouts, so I like High Reps better, but that's just a personal thing about my body in particular. I still like STS Total Body and have been using it regularly, especially the 24-minute upper body premix. If I could get only one, it would be High Reps, but again, that's just a personal preference.

Hmmm... I'm not getting many takers on this one. I asked because I got STS Total Body for Christmas and not High Reps. So I guess really I was hoping to hear more people say they liked STS and that High Reps had too much band work or something and really wasn't for them. I guess I just wanted to be reassured that I'm not missing out on too much. Boo hoo. I wish I could afford every Cathe. But not having the STS mesocycles I really did want to try Total Body. I got Lower Body Blast as well, so I suppose I shouldn't feel too sorry for myself for not having them all. Sometimes I feel disloyal to Cathe if I admit that I'm not crazy about something or prefer one thing over another.

Late to this one but I think you've got the winner. I did both three times this month (I tried High reps out first once last month also) STS Total Body is the one I'll probably use more, suits what I like to do and what I'll probably do more of in the future.

My first Cathe weight workouts were the TV versions of Pyramid Upper/Lower Body, this total body workout is similar in some ways to those. I also like? that even though I don't go very heavy I know I've done a workout...in as little as 2 hours after, my bum is tellin' me! I like the exercises too.

Yes, jgoycoolea, you've got a goodie...:)

I have sts total body and high reps I like sts total body the most. Sts total body works every muscle and with heavy weights which really makes me feel like I'm getting a good workout. High reps was just ok for me becaue of the reps you can't really use heavy weights so I don't feel as worked out. Sts is the best!

If you don't mind me butting in here :D I can tell you that its pretty much an even divide on who likes STS or High Reps better. And then many enjoy both equally. STS actually gets the heart rate up nicely too so be prepared to lift and sweat. High Reps uses the sliding discs in new innovative ways that will make your legs scream :eek:

Have fun with STS :)

I agree - I like 'em both for being equally challenging in different ways. Personally, high reps had a bit more fun factor :eek: plus I enjoy isolation exercises and with STS I was able to lift heavier. Both will get a lot of use!! :)

I do like STS Total Body. I've done it twice. The first time I went a bit light since I was already a bit sore from previous workouts. (But couldn't resist.) This time, with reference to upper body, I went heavy since we are hitting all of the upper body muscles in only 24 minutes, as opposed to say GS which can work only half the muscles in more time. But with the weight I chose I actually had trouble completing the reps.

I should probably do the one rep max test and choose a weight scientifically or with guidance instead of just winging it. I am not sure why I haven't done these tests. Perhaps a fear that I will hurt myself trying to lift something so heavy I can only do one rep??? But admittedly, I haven't looked into the guidelines on doing this.

I do like STS Total Body. I've done it twice. The first time I went a bit light since I was already a bit sore from previous workouts. (But couldn't resist.) This time, with reference to upper body, I went heavy since we are hitting all of the upper body muscles in only 24 minutes, as opposed to say GS which can work only half the muscles in more time. But with the weight I chose I actually had trouble completing the reps.

I should probably do the one rep max test and choose a weight scientifically or with guidance instead of just winging it. I am not sure why I haven't done these tests. Perhaps a fear that I will hurt myself trying to lift something so heavy I can only do one rep??? But admittedly, I haven't looked into the guidelines on doing this.

I'm going to do the Gym Style workouts starting next week and thought for sure I would want to go (3rd set failure?) - heavier than I did with STS Total Body. Both STS Total Body & High Reps seemed to have more explosive type moves and quicker pace, High Reps slightly more than STS TB but both more than the Gym Styles? I'm already thinking I may do them slower, as I did to start with Pure Strength.

Did anyone find differences for the two new ones vs. what you typically use in Gym Styles?

TIA
Linda

STS total body

I have to really lighten my weights with STS Total body because it moves so quickly my muscles cant keep up. If I had a few more seconds to stretch between sets I feel like I could go heavier. Is it better to go lighter and keep up, or is it more beneficial to go as heavy (65% of my 1RM) and pause it for a second so I can stretch? Thanks!

I've found it helpful to pause between exercises to stretch and rest for several seconds, with STS Total Body as well as Gym Styles. When I do this, I can lift heavier and complete more reps. I figure the DVD keeps up a fast pace to fit in as much work as possible into its time frame, rather than showing lots of down time of the crew resting. But the rest makes my workout better, so I do it. The pause button is your friend!

I have to really lighten my weights with STS Total body because it moves so quickly my muscles cant keep up. If I had a few more seconds to stretch between sets I feel like I could go heavier. Is it better to go lighter and keep up, or is it more beneficial to go as heavy (65% of my 1RM) and pause it for a second so I can stretch? Thanks!

I like both workouts a lot, but I seem to do STS Total Body more often because I dread pulses and low-ends, especially on lower body exercises. I also like that with STS Total Body you know exactly how many reps you're in for, so you can give it your all. But with High Reps, you don't know ahead of time, which makes it harder to prepare mentally and even physically. You'd think that as I do High Reps more often I'll remember the number of reps, but that hasn't really happened with Cathe's other workouts (I have so many to choose from I never do any one DVD all that often!).

Lurdes

I like both workouts a lot, but I seem to do STS Total Body more often because I dread pulses and low-ends, especially on lower body exercises. I also like that with STS Total Body you know exactly how many reps you're in for, so you can give it your all. But with High Reps, you don't know ahead of time, which makes it harder to prepare mentally and even physically. You'd think that as I do High Reps more often I'll remember the number of reps, but that hasn't really happened with Cathe's other workouts (I have so many to choose from I never do any one DVD all that often!).

Lurdes

Ahhh Haaa! that's it, I wondered why I thought of STS TB more than High Reps after doing each over 4 weeks last month. I used a workout sheet for Both the first 3 times, then on the 4th round, I didn't have my notebook when I did High Reps ( I had hand written all the counts and exercise order ) It made such a difference....that I actually thought it made me like one over the other....which may not actually be so....in the beginning I liked them both a lot....virtually the same. Isn't that something how just a change in atmosphere or knowing ahead can can your perception?

Interestingly I've noticed this too when changing workout area from sunny foyer to cool darker basement.

Mystery Solved!
weird...and kind of enlightening all at once....:)

I am really enjoying them both. If I had to pick just one, I'd might lean ever so slightly towards High Reps. I have to say, though, that STS Total Body has just lead me to purchasing the whole STS shootin' match (I just couldn't resist that incredible price!).

Shelbygirl

Hi jgoycoolea,

Not sure if you are aware of this, but in 1-RM testing you don't actually have to lift a weight that's so heavy you can only do one rep. You pick something pretty heavy but manageable, and based on the weight & the number of reps you can do during the test, your 1-RM is estimated.

Stebby

,Not sure if you are aware of this, but in 1-RM testing you don't actually have to lift a weight that's so heavy you can only do one rep. You pick something pretty heavy but manageable, and based on the weight & the number of reps you can do during the test, your 1-RM is estimated.

Interesting. Makes good sense. In fact, now I feel a bit stupid. Maybe I SHOULD try the one rep max test. Partly why I haven't given this any real consideration is because I am afraid I will then really want to buy STS! But even with the nice discount being currently offered, I really shouldn't. I'm not one to go looking if I'm not buying. Still, I could use that information for STS Total Body which I do have. Then I'd probably have fewer tests to do anyhow. I feel like doing it right now! But need to start dinner. Add it to the list of reasons to dislike cooking.

Since I added High Reps and have had the chance to do this several times now, I am now 50/50 because I love them both equally! But now Lower Body Blast is up on par too. I would say its a complete win anyway you look at it. Music is awesome!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.