STS first time!

Quick check in, but have to say CONGRATS, MISSY! How awesome!

And I am done with Mesocycle 1, so go me! And Si too!

I really felt the increased weights today and loved the bonus moves on the ball - good stuff right there.

Have a great day everyone!

Afternoon ladies!

Today ended up being a rest day. I planned to do an Ellen Barret dvd but time got away from me this morning! I realized I forgot to mention my workout yesterday...Lower Body Blast! You guys would've been so proud of me. I held a 5 lb dumbell on the elevated lunge series she does where Cathe doesn't use weight herself and I went heavier in a lot of places where she does use weight, plus when doing the gliding lunges I used an 8 lb dumbell as well! I woke up this morning expecting major DOMS but they were really just mild. On the one hand I was super proud of myself for being/feeling so strong and not being totally sore and on the other I was like "awww, only slight DOMS?" We are crazy people, huh? LOL Only you guys would understand!:eek:

Jean- that is so awesome about PLB! I love that your starting to dig the lower body workouts! You go girl!!:D Incidentally, I have a really hard time with that move where she does the hamstring roll in on the ball with one leg. I always do that move with both feet on the ball because it really bothers my knees, too. I don't have any plans to try to work up to it one legged either...I just feel a real strain in the knee joint so I figure I better stay away from that one. I also love the Breathless Body workout! It's a great one to do with STS because it's pure cardio (not weights with cardio). I plan to use that one when I do STS again. Some people find it a little repetitive because she has you doing the same move in a drill like fashion 8 times in a tabata format. I love it though...very simple, straightforward and she shows 3 levels with one of the ladies doing a low impact version (so it works great for beginners, too). To make it more interesting I'll often switch between the levels during the intervals. I don't often do the whole workout, I'll sometimes just do 3-4 of the drills as a cardio finisher after a weight workout if I feel up to it.

Meredith- CONGRATULATIONS on finishing Meso 1! Yay! Big pat on the back! You'll definitely find that Meso 2 gets a little more organized and you won't feel like a tornado has hit your workout room quite so much! ;)

Si- how did legs go today?

Missy- congratulations on more inches off! Yippee!:D Enjoy your long weekend!!

Marie- Definitely don't be afraid to take it easy if the working out is starting to feel too intense or awkward. That belly will definitely get in the way! lol Walking is great and you can do that up until your water breaks. In fact when you are getting really close, a lot of people say that can help get the labor going! Carolyn is totally right about the hormones making your joints and ligaments all loosey-goosey, trust me! I tended to make a lot of that relaxin hormone, in fact I still seem to have issues with that as I mentioned before with my joints being more unstable right around ttotm. I remember when I was pregnant...okay this may be a little tmi but it's important to know these things can happen:eek:...Anyway, I went to chase after my husbands dog (he's not with us anymore) and as I made this giant step my pubic symphisis joint dislocated. Now, normally that joint doesn't move at all, but when you are pregnant and you have that hormone circulating it can move and oh my god was it painful!:confused: I could barely walk! I got relief by going to a chiropractor to have it put back into place (suggested by my midwife). Now granted, I wasn't even 1/100 as fit as you are though! lol

Carolyn- good luck packing and I hope everything goes smoothly on your trip!

Oh man, I wrote a novel. gulp.:eek:

ETA: I forgot to mention I talked to my sister yesterday for a long time on the phone. Talked in circles actually :(. It's so hard when you are the oldest sibling (who feels very parental). You just want to shake them and go WAKE UP! :confused: I just have to keep telling myself "you can't live her life for her, you can't live her life for her..."

Last edited:
Hi ladies!

I am indeed melting. It is so gross out. Just hiding out at home in the a/c. I am dying at the thought that there is no end in sight to this humidity.:confused:

Carolyn and Mary, have a wonderful vacation! Relax, soak up the sun, enjoy the water, enjoy seafood and cocktails, and enjoy your family!

Missy, have a great long weekend. Congrats on more weight loss! Two more inches is incredible. (I wish I could get rid of 2" on my waist!:D) You are amazing!

Colleen, I did LBB today! Good job on going heavier! Since Carolyn did LBB the other day, it got me thinking that I hadn't pulled that one out in a long time. (If only I can search WM to see when I did it last!) I do enjoy the disc exercises with no weights too, like Carolyn said. Just not all those pulses and low-ends!:eek: I couldn't keep up--they were killer. Oh, I had to blow two fans with a/c on me to do this workout. The carpet was so grossly sticky, I could have burst a vein being hot and angry.:mad:

I feel for you, worrying for your sister. I hope she sees it clearly soon. Sometimes she just has to come to the realization herself. She is probably feeling lonesome and maybe unloved since her divorce. Does she work out? That helps with self-esteem and feel-good hormones. Good thing she has a loving family surrounding her. Just keep planting the bug in her ear.

Mer and Si, congrats on finishing up Meso 1! High fives! Meso 2 is a lot more enjoyable and orderly. I need to go look at the Cathe link on the makeshift topper as soon as I finish this post. (ETA: I saw it! Incredible! I wouldn't have thought it safe! Also, I have one of these ancient workouts, and I never pull it out--MIC/RS, etc)

Carolyn, I wish I pack the way you do. That's very organized. Instead, I do go, did I pack that? Even as far as on the way to the airport or on the plane.

My body used to have this perverse way of getting my monthly every single time I went on vacation. And I would bleed like a severed artery. Talk about needing a bathroom nearby! Sorry for tmi.

And Marie, do take it easy! It is time to start slowing down. Walking is great. That's all I ever did, and not on a regular basis. You are in your third trimester! Milk it, baby! Btw, I watched all the Olympics gymnastics. Don't you hate how the network strings you along the whole night, airing the finals near midnight??

Jean, way to go on PLB! I'm proud of you! We'll convert you to like legs yet. I too don't like the one-leg-on-the-ball exercise. It's strenuous on my knee, so, like Colleen, I'm not likely to do it Cathe's way any time soon.

Have a great weekend, everyone!

Last edited:
Good Morning!!! Happy Saturday!! The scale went down again!!!! Yeah!!! It hasen't moved in over a month till yesterday. I am just so freaking excited!!! Getting closer to my next and final goal I set.

So my husband and I went to the hobby store last night.....I needed some scrapbook stuff. So, normally that is were you would see all kinds....but normally there is some preety "hot" "sexy" women in there...as my husband would say. But last night he just was looking at me in my shorts and tank. It was really hot and humid so I decided to were shorts. He keep complimenting on how sexy I looked and how good I should feel for earning my weight loss and sculpting my muscles. He was being so sweet. He said...I think you have gotten so sexy that I don't even look at other women, because "I now have everything...A sexy women, A wonderful wife, and of course my best friend" I was just shocked...my husband of 12 years said this. He is always a great guy, but when you have been together that long, getting something that sweet out of there moth, well...it's just rare. As for the looking....We all know our men look, there men!!!! :)

I am very lucky to have such a great man in my life! I wish everyone did!!!

I am the only child so I don't have brothers/sisters to worry about. So Colleen, I am sure it gets crazy!!!

Enogh about me....I hope everyone has a lovely Saturday!

I am going to go exercise!!! BBL for more chatting!!!

Carolyn---Have a great vacation!!! :eek:

One a last thought before I exercise!!!

I just want to say thank you to all of my friends here on the forum!!! You girls have been so helpful to me over these past months. I think we get each other motivated and wanting more. Thanks again. We have built a friendship like no other. Thanks! :D

We officially have everything in our new place. Organized?! NO haha, but it's all here. Well except for the deck chairs that we realized we forgot at the last minute. We figured we would have Tony's brother bring them over with his truck sometime. Tony's at work today so I'm busy putting everything away. We just brought everything over and figured we would go through it here. I have been throwing a ton of junk away and putting other stuff in boxes for a yard sale Tony is planning on having after we're all settled. I just LOVE getting rid of stuff :eek:

Can you believe we don't have electricity yet?! Thank goodness the neighbor is letting us borrow his. We are running an extension cord from his house. But no electricity means no dishwasher and no washer/dryer. Have loads of dishes to clean. We had most stuff packed up in boxes for a year and it needs a thorough washing. Ok this also means NO AIR! Ugh! Thank goodness it's pretty cool today!!!!

No workout yesterday (well except for Move Max;)). Nothing today either. Figured I'm getting enough movement by putting stuff away. I really appreciate the advice about taking it easy. I'm so used to working my butt off (well not really haha, my JLo booty never seems to shrink) that it's hard for me to slow down. I need to though so appreciate that you ladies agree :)

Missy- Huge congrats! You are killin' it in the weight loss dept my friend!!! You deserve every compliment you get!

Carolyn- Lovin' that you got your period on time haha! Enjoy your trip!!!

Meredith- Congrats on finishing Meso 1 :)

Jean- I too am included in the group that dislikes that exercise. So dang hard!

Colleen- Way to rock out LBB. Heavier weights that Cathe?! Yay! That's crazy that you dislocated your pubic symphysis when you were pregnant...how scary!

Betty- Couldn't agree more about the Olympics. Love watching it but ya gotta stay up so late!

Well, off to set up my workout room :) YAY! I'll take a picture for you all soon.

Good Evening! I have been super busy today. Got up @ 6:45---Summer (dog) had to pee. SO I stayed up....played on computer for a few and then ran for an hour!!! Then, I went to town, I had to go to the jewerly store and have my wedding ring sized. It was 2 sizes to big. I could not keep it on. Now, it fits perfect and looks brand new, all sparkly!!! Then I had to run a few errands. Came home, started making dough...yes, we had homemade pizza!!! Then went back to town, hubby had to go to tractor supply for some stuff. Came back home, worked in the garden for 1 1/2 hours. Then prepared pizza. Ate, exercised again! And now off to bed!!! Crazy busy! :)

Marie---When will you have electric? It sounds like us, when we first moved into our house we stayed here for 3 days without elec. Thank god it was cool out, in was in March. We went to the inlaws house (next door) to shower each morning and evening. But it was an exciting time....new house, new journey, new road. Congrats on moving in succesfully. Be careful!!! Make sure you post pics of the exercise room. :) And make sure you rest for the baby!!!

Thanks for all my compliments. It really is appreciated!

Well, it is getting late. Good Night!:eek:

I have my baby shower today! I'm excited but must admit I'm super nervous too. I am the type of person that likes to stay in the background. Being the center of attention makes me panic. There are going to be around 30 people there and lots of variety. By that I mean from all sides of the family. Friends too. My mom made me invite aunts and cousins I haven't seen in years. Ugh! She said they would be offended if they weren't invited. Ummm highly doubt they would have known it was even going on. Oh well! I just have to make sure I get around to talk to everyone. It's only 2 hours (upon my request- I hate dragging these things out and feel like some people don't want to be there anyways). Not much time to socialize, open presents and eat, but oh well, less anxiety for me maybe. Ok I'm done now....I just need to remember to breathe......

Missy- Still no electric today. They said they would have it on by this past Fri end of business day. Apparently they lied and we are hoping for Monday!!!! The basement is way too muggy to workout, not to mention I'd have to drag the power cord across the house the down the stairs to get electricity for the TV and DVD. No working out til it comes on...they better hurry cuz I was planning on doing something light tomorrow.

Jean- I feel ya with the minimalist thing. I hate having a bunch of stuff. I like everything to have a place and category. Of course that is never the case and a random junk draw or 2 appears. Last night when Tony got home he was looking through the garbage and found some jean patches and fray check I had tossed. Looked like junk to me but he was like what are you doing throwing this out. Oops....my bad!

Well I better hop in the shower. My mom and aunt are driving down from up north and will be here soon.

Have a good Sunday everyone!

Hello Everyone!

Yay! Mesocycle 1 is done!!! Congrats Meredith too!!! I did my workout Friday and my legs were so sore in new places on Saturday. I’m getting better at legs, so I’m encouraged! Yay! Meredith, I agree the ball work at the end was a nice change. I really like how Cathe gives you familiar exercises that you can really work at to perfect and improve and throws in new moves to really shock the body. I guess that’s why it’s called STS. ;)

Jean, Thanks for posting about what Cathe says. I’m glad to know that cardio is fine to do. I’m going to plan to take off my calendar the Travel Fit. I’ll skip on bands too and just do stretching, yoga, pilates, and cardio. Glad to hear that meso 2 will be fun and that the pushups won’t be as crazy!

Colleen, thanks for sharing your experience with what you did on the rest week. Ok, glad to know that if I feel like I lose some strength that it will bounce back quickly. I’m gonna listen to my body about how hard to push the cardio and will go a little lighter if I need it. Legs went well! I feel stronger but they are still so difficult. But any improvement is something I’m excited about. ☺ Thanks for asking.

Meredith, Congrats!!! So fun to have someone on here who is at the same spot with the program! That’s funny that you were about to ask the same question about the rest week. What did you decide to do?

Colleen and Missy, I’ve also had migraines with auras too. Sorry to hear about your recent bouts.

Carolyn (gratefuldog), thanks for sharing what you did on the active recovery week! Did you find it was ok to do the light weights? I think I’m gonna stick to cardio, pilates, stretching, etc. But I was thinking maybe that some of her cardio workouts where she uses light weights could be good too.

Marie, thanks! The seaweed was so fun! I was going to do one day of bands but I decided to take it off my calendar. I’ll just stick to cardio and stretching stuff. Thanks for your input. Good luck as you settle in to your new place.

Hi Betty, So glad to hear that Meso 2 is enjoyable and more orderly! I’m excited about it. Sorry about the humidity! I hate that!

Enjoy your week ladies!

Hello ladies!

Sorry I've been MIA the past few days! Let's see, yesterday I did Horizontal Conditioning Bootcamp. I still maintain that's the toughest workout I own. I just can NOT get through that sucker without pausing constantly. At one point Mark came in the room to bug me and instead of yelling at him to get out (like I usually would) I stalled and let him jabber on for awhile so I could recover:eek:. I was about half way through at that point. I'm starting to think if I'm ever going to conquer that one I need to do it at least once a week instead of every other week!
Today I did Bob Harper's Cardio Kettlebell workout. It's an okay workout...it's been so long since I did it I forgot how many flaws are in it. There is one section where he forgets to do 2 different exercises on the left side:rolleyes:. I have to pause the dvd and try to get the shoulder presses and clean and presses in to make sure I'm evenly trained. How could someone release a dvd and miss that?? I heard Jillian did that on her latest kickboxing dvd, too. Why can't everybody be as good as Cathe???:confused: It doesn't seem like it should be that hard! Now if we could just get Cathe to like kettlebells....:D

I spent the rest of the day making and canning homemade salsa. Oh man. That is an ALL day project! My feet are killing me from standing all that time!

I'll be back tomorrow to write more! Good night everybody! :)

Hello everyone! Happy Monday! I was trying to be a weekend warrior, so I didn’t check in here. Hope everyone had an enjoyable and productive weekend! I put together bunk beds for my kids. My son is not quite ready to be done with the crib, but CostCo had twin mattresses on sale, so I figured why not? They had the Dyson on sale too, so I got a new vacuum as well and sucked up a bunch of dirt. Gross and awesome all at once. I also did a bunch of cleaning out of toys from the entire house including my workout room (yeah!). I boxed everything up and put it in the shed. I am hoping my daughter doesn’t notice and in a few months, if she doesn’t, I’m just going to donate it all to Good Will. Wish me luck! I have 3 HUGE bins of just stuffed animals. It is really ridiculous!

Today, I did Low Max and the abs section from Muscle Endurance. When we got to the end of the blast at Combo 3 and she said there were 7 combos, I nearly died, but I made it through. (I think the blast after Combo 3 is just so hard you want to be done right then and there.) I even did the workout on 8” so I was proud of myself. Man, that’s a leg burner though and I was thinking of Si and Jean.

Missy, congrats for continued weight loss and VERY nice compliments from your husband. How wonderful! You deserve it for all that hard work!

Carolyn, I hope you are having a great vacation!

Marie, I’m trying to imagine myself doing Slide and Glide pregnant and I just can’t! How the heck did you get back up on things like the back leg lunges?! I think I would have hit the ground and just stayed there. :) You must be one fit mama! Like the other ladies said, I remember everything loosening up when it got closer to the due date. But the really funky feeling is AFTER you give birth, feeling everything come back together! Fingers crossed that you get your power today!

Jean, I think it is PLB that I never liked because it had so many barbell weight switches. Too much work and down time (because I sure can’t switch my weight as fast as they can!). I don’t remember the one legged ball work. I must have blocked it from my memory :) I should give it another crack… well maybe after STS. Breathless Body is just fun to say.

Colleen, using weight where Cathe doesn’t?! I *AM* impressed! Dang, girl! I had butt DOMS the morning after Disk 12. I think it was that glute work on the stability ball. Anyway, I liked it! I hope your sister is surviving and that you are too, from the sidelines. Why do so many women stay with horrible men? I will never understand it! I agree with you on the DVDs where the exercises are not equal for each side. How is that not caught?! Crazy!

Hi Betty! I want to lose 2” from my waist too. It’s definitely my least favorite part (and it used to be my favorite!). I figure I need to eat better, but that is so hard! Your “artery” comment cracked me up. You never do Rhythmic Step?! I love that one! I was noticing today that in Muscle Endurance, it looks like they are still using a cut up and glued together step, but it looks better.

Si, good to see you! I’m still not sure what I’m doing this week. Probably at least one kickbox DVD and probably To the Max, since I haven’t done it. And maybe more of the Low Impact Series. I was realizing today that I’m not sure I’ve ever done either of the HiiT DVDs from the Hardcore series! Or maybe just one time each. Anyway, I have a lot to pull out and do. Like I said before, I could do Cathe everyday and probably not repeat a workout for 2 or 3 months! I even have some of her stuff on VHS (yes, I do!) I’m not much of a yoga person, but I wish I was. I probably need it. I always think… if I have time to work out, then I want to burn some calories!

How do you all post smilies? All I see are "post icons" which I know go up at the top. And what the heck is a "trackback"?

Good Morning ladies! I was MIA yesterday!!! I was crazy busy. I too was cleaning house. I cleaned out closets, cabinets, etc. I went crazy. I too do not like clutter. I like everything to go where it belongs and if I can't use it I toss it. But, I went crazy listing things for sale on ebay. I love selling things on ebay. I listed alot of the "fat" clothes and they all sold. I just went to the post office and shipped it all. So no I have some shopping money. I normally donate to good will, but I thought it would be nice to have some play money. And boom.....I made $152.00. Hehehehe :)

My husband is always saying I am OCD.....now it has been confirmed he says. Sometimes I will be like....this does not belong here honey. And he always says I know.....I will put it away. hehehe :) We actually both grew up in homes that were very clutered. So he is also a neat freak. So he can't complain, because when we go to visit the family we always complain about there house on the ride home. hehehe :) Our parents are somewhat horders. Not bad like to TV shows, but they don't like to get rid of things. Unlike us, I will throw something away in a minute!!! :)

This morning was 45 minutes on the elliptical while watching Army Wives. Tonight I am doing HST!!!

Hope everyone has a lovely day.

To post a smile , they are on the right side . You just click on me and it goes on your post. She doesn't have many to choose from.

I have NO smilies on the right... and I tried clicking on you. It doesn't do anything. I must be lost. :(

Missy, WTG on eBay sales. Want to sell my stuff for me? :)

Good day, all! I did KPC today, my absolute fave of Cathe's, I want to say. The entire workout clocks in at 66 mins, which is high, but I didn't really want to cut anything. Over 400 cals, baby!

Jean, I can't figure out what you mean either, but Mer, here's where I got mine:

The Cathe Nation - Smilies

Jean, are these all there are? Sometimes I see that Colleen has some other stuff, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to do it, and what trackback is. Not intuitive!

Colleen, I simply cannot believe that Bob and Jillian would allow their dvds to be marketed incomplete! Such sloppy work! But this is exactly what I mean about other instructors! Cathe would never do that!

Mer, I don't like dancy step enough to finish up the workout. I'll pull out RS, start it, then get really frustrated and give up! I don't use HIS that much either for the same reason. I totally agree that it's so hard to eat better! An ongoing, daily battle! Meal by meal! Incidentally, I don't like Low Max, but I must be the only person in Cathenation!:eek: Good job pushing through it! I know how you feel when you suddenly learn there's so much left of the workout, but you're already dying!:D

Doesn't it feel great to clean out your house! Donate or eBay--both are awesome!

Carolyn, hope you're having a blast! The lower dewpoint air is blowing in. Blissful! This past weekend was pure torture. I am not easily ruffled, but give me heat and high humidity, I am so cross and crabby, and I cannot function.

Marie, hope you loved your baby shower! That is a one-time event in a girl's life, so hope you had fun. I'm sure you got some amazing gifts!

Colleen, I just watched the clip of HC BC. Yikes! Looks similar to Cathe's moves though. The cap on their head would overheat me! What is the cloth Sandra uses? Good thing you have the discs!:D You are industrious, making your own salsa. Way to go.

Si, regarding cardio--how about the STS cardio series?

Missy, your honey is a keeper! Awesome earning that money on eBay!

Mary, we miss you! Hope you are enjoying Chatham! Watch out for sharks! Today is shaping up beautifully!

Presale ends on the 21st!

Have a great day!

Last edited:
New and not as scared!

Hello All,
I am so glad I found this forum! I have only found Cathy about a year ago but am looking forward to Starting STS this week! I've had the system for over a month but have delayed until I could get some more exercise in. Love reading all the comments of results and strength gains. Hoping that I can keep up and that If I fall off the exercise wagon I'll get back on. I would like to lose around 30 lbs.

For Cardio I'm planning on Cathe Step video's, biking, hiking and maybe my own mix of marathon cleaning... I have to keep up with the family.:)

Jean---Yes that is how I reply. Then I get the smileys!!!!

Welcome GAmom!!! Are you from GA? I am from south GA (thomasville). Tell us a little about yourself. I am a small town girl. I am 29 yrs old. I have a loving husband, 2 inside cats, 1 inside dog, 2 horses, and a outside cat. If you click on my name I have pictures of all of them including my workout room!!! I have just recently lost 57.6 pds. I started my weight loss in Novemebr 2011. I really don't have any more to lose. It has been a wonderful journey. I now feel amazing. We have a wonderful group of girls here that keep each other motivated and wanting more. We all always chatting about anything and everything. Good luck with you journey and we will be here to help you with any questions you have.

Busy at work. Check back later!!! :)

Welcome GAmom!!! Are you from GA? I am from south GA (thomasville). Tell us a little about yourself. I am a small town girl. I am 29 yrs old. I have a loving husband, 2 inside cats, 1 inside dog, 2 horses, and a outside cat. If you click on my name I have pictures of all of them including my workout room!!! I have just recently lost 57.6 pds. I started my weight loss in Novemebr 2011. I really don't have any more to lose. It has been a wonderful journey. I now feel amazing. We have a wonderful group of girls here that keep each other motivated and wanting more. We all always chatting about anything and everything. Good luck with you journey and we will be here to help you with any questions you have.

Busy at work. Check back later!!!

Thanks all for the warm welcome:)

Hi Missyt - yes I'm in Georgia too, just north of Atlanta. I'm in my mid 30's, I have a wonderful loving husband, 2 kids, 1 dog and 2 indoor cats. I use my den as a place to workout, it's just big enough for what I need. I work from home and active in my kids activities and church activities.

I appreciate being part of a forum that seems so helpful. I've already read a lot of great questions and answer's before purchasing STS....Just took me a while to decide to get on board. STS seems like the ultimate workout. I'm amazed at Cathe's strength shown in some of the youtube video's (her calm voice instruction while performing pullups is completely crazy) and of the success's many cathletes have made.

Missyt your weight loss is incredible! I'm looking forward to having some great results too. I did most of the 1RM. I just wrote it down in the guide book since I like the hard copy. I'm easily computer distracted.:(

Carolyn---So good to hear that you are enjoying vacation!!! Have a blast!!! And yes, I am an addicted ebayer!!! I just love it!!!!

GAmom---I am sure you will do wonderful on your weight loss journey!! Cathe's DVDs are awesome! I own all of them except for the really old stuff!! I have so many workouts, it is always hard for me to decide which one to do each day!!! I am really looking forward to Xtrain!!! Did you pre order? We all did I do believe!!!! :)

Okay, gotta run!! BBL!

Jean said,

"When you post a reply , do you click on the post reply button at the bottom of the last post? That is what I do and the box that comes up says" Reply to Thread" at the top"

Yes, that is exactly what I just did and the box says "Reply to Thread" but there are no smilies on the right. There are some icons at the bottom but that's it. Maybe it's my browser? My daughter is 7 btw, and all three of us are home today because my son has hand foot and mouth virus, so I figured why not have a fun at home day.

Betty's link worked for me and I just plan to type in my smilies, like this :D Thanks, Betty! In some ways, Low Max reminds me of the iMax workouts, but not as hard.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.