STS Check In Disc 7....

Hi Everyone,

Did Disc 7 on Sunday. I started out this work-out feeling strong & well-rested. I did good most of the work-out--stayed at 65% 1RM for most of the exercises. The push-ups!!! Wow, Cathe, I didn't think would make us do the 8+8+30 push-ups AND the drop-set push-ups 14+12+10+8+6 all in the same work-out! ;) But all in all, it went well. There was no delayed onset muscle soreness, my shoulders were sore by the end of the work-out & it has continued on today!
But again, a good work-out & looking forward to Disc 8 on Tuesday.

See you all then!

WOW! DISC 7 is done and my muscles are pumped. I have never felt that at this level before. The pace and the variety of Meso 1 are fantastic.
I could hardly make my kids pb&j's for lunch since Doms already set in.....:confused: But it tells me I'm working.
I was crazy enough to do medicine ball abs straight after my workout. I thought I was going to throw the ball out the window. :eek:
I am truly having fun with STS and sharing with all of you. It is great to know that we are in this together. Sure makes it easier to get up and just do it knowing that you are too.

7 down...29 to go!!

Woohoo! I'm so pleased to be able to say I've finished disc 7! When I saw that she'd put ALL the push ups into one workout, I figured we were in for a tough one! And it was tough! At the 2/3 mark I had started having to lower my weight amounts for many exercises, around the 10th rep. I guess that means I shouldn't increase my amounts to 70% next week, on those exercises, huh? Stay with the 65% until I can do all the reps?

The sequencing of the exercises in this workout really ups the prefatigue factor for the exercises at the end. I wasn't intimidated by the number of push ups (doing 3 rounds of P90X got me used to push ups!), but was surprised at how challenged I was by them. Excellent workout! I can't say I loved it....'cause it was hard! But I did benefit greatly from doing it.

I loved the incline bicep band curls. Those were terrific. And of course, the bow & arrow band pulls. Nice!

The medicine ball abs (non-partnered) were really neat. Not too bad at all for doing with a fatigued upper body.

I hope you're having a great workout right now Cathe!
Sandra

I counted 109 pushups on my toes today, and I didn't even do all the pushups as I skipped the staggered pushups and the 21's. Still, I was happy with that accomplishment. Those Elmo pushups were the biggest challenge!:eek:

My elbow is pretty sore (don't know what from) so I've been going lighter on the bicep curls. I challenged my shoulders and got a good pump in them.

I'm switching my routine a bit this week, as we're going on a a 4 day ski trip to New Hampshire (leaving Wed nite). I'm going to do Back and Tri's tomorrow and Legs on Wednesday. I'll be getting some cardio in this afternoon shoveling snow.

That was tough!

Hi Everyone! If you got snow, how are you holding up in it today? Did today’s workout get converted to Shovel Max? Ha!

All I have time to do right now is just post my thoughts and then I’ll be back later this evening. Also, continue to check back to discs 5 and 6 for additional comments as I have to get back over there to answer some questions too.

Well, that workout seemed especially hard to me. Perhaps because I have had a couple of low sleep nights, who knows, I can just say that my biceps, shoulders and chest are really talking to me right now.

Holy Moly, the push ups were having their own little party now, weren’t they? Feel free to let me know if I forgot to include a variation in there, ;). We had Crossover, Elmo, Staggered, Straddle (last 4 singles were hard), Standard/Wide 1.5's into 30 straight push ups, ROFLOL, on the last 10 of those (my body was shaking and my face redder that any Elmo doll I know), Drop sets (oh I dropped all right)…and finally 21’s….oh heck, what’s 21 more at that point right? :D

Shoulders were really tough. The drop set overhead press opener set the tone for shoulders right there. There were seated presses, alternating presses, and those “ouchie” front presses that never get easier. The rear delt band was a “burning” surprise, especially the last set of pulses. The lateral/front combo stung too.

Biceps caught me off guard. That is usually my strong point but today while still able to do it I was fighting extra hard at the end. Hmmm, maybe I fatigued them digging out the snow covered car this morning come to think of it. Actually, I’m sure that’s why my shoulders are fried. How about the seated isolation curl? That really eliminates any chance of cheating. Tough!!!

Overall, the sequence of this particular week felt harder to me. But again, I was not coming into it completly fresh today.

I’ll be back later to read your comments and answer some questions…Promised the kids some fun time in the snow…they are off.

I did Disc 7 yesterday, and I thought this one was fun! On a few exercises my muscles failed before I could finish the set, but I got pretty close (e.g. failed on rep 14 and just missed the last rep). I felt I put in a good effort.

I couldn't believe those push-ups at the end! I did them all on my knees with a straight body - I didn't have to modify to "granny style" as I'd been afraid I would have to do. I am getting stronger, definitely. In the first set at the beginning of the workout, I actually did the first 8 on my toes, which I hadn't been able to do for a long time.

I have a history of shoulder problems, wrist problems, elbow problems, neck problems and upper back problems. I am surprised, and pleased, that I've had no flare-ups of anything since I started STS. The weights from my 1 RM tests seem to be right for me, and I like the fact that Cathe has us building up slowly. I also like the fact that we are hitting every muscle group from different angles, so I don't feel like I'm overtraining one area and undertraining another (probably the cause of all the problems I've had in the past).

The first week of STS, I had terrible DOMS. The second week, it was much reduced. Today, I have no DOMS at all. (But I was still pleasantly exhausted after finishing the workout and had trouble getting showered and dressed because my arms felt like noodles.)

Stebby

"LOL" was not exactly what I was thinking during all those stinkin' pushups! :eek: One of these days I will get through them. I have a tendancy to feel them in my shoulders and back during the workout and end up with sore triceps and shoulders DOMS the next...

I did like the stability ball incline chest flies. I did as you suggested, Cathe, and tried them at a much slower count and tried to focus on the chest/peck muscles... will see if I get those DOMS tomorrow as well... keeping my fingers crossed...

Wow, those bow n' arrows are tough too! I have to really try HARD not to shrug my shoulders to my ears on those!

I have to agree with the Elmo moves! I could give tickle me elmo a run for his money today! whew!

overall a good workout... Good thing I ate my wheaties this morning!

Instead of shoveling the driveway, I saved my energy for Disc 7.:p I was especially tired today.:(

I didn't do my 1RM for some of the shoulder exercises. I overestimated how much I could do for some of the barbell presses.:eek: My shoulders are burning... in a good way.:cool: Those 21s with full ROM at the end were brutal.

...Not to mention the push-ups. I had to up the tempo and take little longer breaks to stay on my toes. Even still, I dropped to my knees on the 8 drop set. Took a longer break and went to my toes for the last 6 reps. I did manage to stay on my toes for the elmo push-ups. I was a bit afraid of the instability.:eek::eek::eek:

Not looking forward to the delt doms.:eek: I can handle the chest doms for some reason.

Wendy

Hi!

Hi everyone! I'd love to join your check in... I was one week ahead in the program, but I've decided to go back a week so I can hear what all of you think...misery loves company, right? JUST KIDDING!

Cathe, I love the band work. The bow and arrow was fun, and I loved the variation of the hammer curls on the ball with the band. They sure gave my biceps a good pump!

I also did the Elmo push-ups propping my ball against the wall. I really didn't want to lose my balance on this one!

Although I always need to do push-ups on my knees, I am proud to say I completed all the drop set push-ups! Yippee! I was thrilled, and then realized there were still push-up 21's... well, I did what I could!

Can't wait for #8!

Hi Cathe! I must say that disc 7 has to be my favorite so far. I love all the push ups! I must admit though, I had to drop to my knees for the last 10 on th 30 rep push ups. But that gives me something to strive for next time. I also had trouble keeping myself stable on the elmo push ups. I think my ball may need more air, but I mustered though it. Looking forward to the rest of the workouts!

Okay, seriously Cathe needs to rename STS Disc 7 to "the pushup workout!" Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this workout, but I felt like every 2 exercises we were back to push ups and I was left saying, "um, again, did I hear you right Cathe?" I did manage all on toes except for the last 10 of the 30 rep set - the speed gets me on this one and I needed to drop to knees.
So, I went back to my workout card afterwards to count the # of pushups because I had to know....drum roll please..... it is a whopping 176... Hence, the renaming of the disc suggestion :)

Off my pushup soapbox...lol. So for the rest:
Had to drop down on side leaning lateral raises by 1lb - just couldn't do it today (unfortunately, I had to double up on STS and cardio today, so I ran 7 miles earlier; hoping that contributed to the fatigue and I'm not getting weaker lol).
Went a bit higher on the standing barbell front press but dropped down for full reps.
Bow and arrows with the band - still lovin' 'em.
Liked the chest flys on the stability ball in table top ... really felt it in the chest.
Lateral side to front combo - the add- on a the end was just plain mean :)
Reallly liked the burn from the incline band hammer curl - nice new one for the mix.

This workout flew by and I really enjoyed it....til disc 8 everyone!

Hi Cathe and gang!

I had a great workout today.

Here's what I did:

I did CC V.1= 35 min and did 2.30 miles which felt great. Sort of a nice compliment to the STS weight work to do after it. Calories burned=329

STS-Meso1, Wk3, Disc 7 = 55 min
Calories Burned= 451
week 2 of lifting 65% of 1 RM. Its feels challenging but doable easier than last week at least for me it seemed that way.

Ok, now for the tough stuff for me on this workout- Elmo style pushups on stability ball. Not good for someone with balance challenge issues (MS) but I did try them. I resorted to doing pushups on the floor from my knees. I don't have the upperbody strength to do them on the ball from my toes. I'm working on it though, one day I'll get it. Then, the other biggie was straddle pushups again same issue with not being able to do them from my toes lack of upper body strength to go down as low as the gang. So, I modified these and did them on the floor from my knees. Now, I do have to say I love Staggered pushups those I really feel. Again, I did modify and do them on the floor from my knees and that worked great. I found that 65% of 1RM was dead on. At first you don't see why that's so important to do those back on Disc 1 but I can see it now. Its so awesome and its a way to challenge you at your level without getting crazy and lifting way too heavy for you at this time, or keep you from not challenging your self at all. This is awesome because it will really build muscle strength and endurance and make you improve and increase wts, gradually at weight that is specific to you and your abilities. Its not about keeping up with what Cathe and gang lifts its about working and challenging you to new levels. I love that!!! I really am loving STS. Who knew lifting weights heavy style would be so much fun. You know this is so much fun that even couch potatoes will be wanting to try it. Shush! You didn't hear me say that. This is our little secret right? That cardio and weight training is fun!

Then came STS Ab Circuits= Medicine Ball Abs- used #8 med ball/used gloves this helped me grip the med ball better. Calories Burned-= 61 Time- 10 min.

I really love STS and recommend it highly. Its effective and is set up to be specific to you. CatheTV is awesome giving excellent tips etc...

Ok, that's it for me today. I hope everyone had a great workout day.

Hugs!:)

Nora

but I felt like every 2 exercises we were back to push ups and I was left saying, "um, again, did I hear you right Cathe?"

Well actually Reena, other that the sets of chest flys....it was pushups again :eek: Just thought I'd clarify, lol.

Hang in there, you're doing great!

Okay, seriously Cathe needs to rename STS Disc 7 to "the pushup workout!" Don't get me wrong, I LOVED this workout, but I felt like every 2 exercises we were back to push ups and I was left saying, "um, again, did I hear you right Cathe?" I did manage all on toes except for the last 10 of the 30 rep set - the speed gets me on this one and I needed to drop to knees.
So, I went back to my workout card afterwards to count the # of pushups because I had to know....drum roll please..... it is a whopping 176... Hence, the renaming of the disc suggestion :)

Off my pushup soapbox...lol. So for the rest:
Had to drop down on side leaning lateral raises by 1lb - just couldn't do it today (unfortunately, I had to double up on STS and cardio today, so I ran 7 miles earlier; hoping that contributed to the fatigue and I'm not getting weaker lol).
Went a bit higher on the standing barbell front press but dropped down for full reps.
Bow and arrows with the band - still lovin' 'em.
Liked the chest flys on the stability ball in table top ... really felt it in the chest.
Lateral side to front combo - the add- on a the end was just plain mean :)
Reallly liked the burn from the incline band hammer curl - nice new one for the mix.

This workout flew by and I really enjoyed it....til disc 8 everyone!

Hi Nora! I can see that the magic of STS is taking hold now. Your figuring out how in the end it all comes together...keep shocking it!

Hi Cathe and gang!

I had a great workout today.

Here's what I did:

I did CC V.1= 35 min and did 2.30 miles which felt great. Sort of a nice compliment to the STS weight work to do after it. Calories burned=329

STS-Meso1, Wk3, Disc 7 = 55 min
Calories Burned= 451
week 2 of lifting 65% of 1 RM. Its feels challenging but doable easier than last week at least for me it seemed that way.

Ok, now for the tough stuff for me on this workout- Elmo style pushups on stability ball. Not good for someone with balance challenge issues (MS) but I did try them. I resorted to doing pushups on the floor from my knees. I don't have the upperbody strength to do them on the ball from my toes. I'm working on it though, one day I'll get it. Then, the other biggie was straddle pushups again same issue with not being able to do them from my toes lack of upper body strength to go down as low as the gang. So, I modified these and did them on the floor from my knees. Now, I do have to say I love Staggered pushups those I really feel. Again, I did modify and do them on the floor from my knees and that worked great. I found that 65% of 1RM was dead on. At first you don't see why that's so important to do those back on Disc 1 but I can see it now. Its so awesome and its a way to challenge you at your level without getting crazy and lifting way too heavy for you at this time, or keep you from not challenging your self at all. This is awesome because it will really build muscle strength and endurance and make you improve and increase wts, gradually at weight that is specific to you and your abilities. Its not about keeping up with what Cathe and gang lifts its about working and challenging you to new levels. I love that!!! I really am loving STS. Who knew lifting weights heavy style would be so much fun. You know this is so much fun that even couch potatoes will be wanting to try it. Shush! You didn't hear me say that. This is our little secret right? That cardio and weight training is fun!

Then came STS Ab Circuits= Medicine Ball Abs- used #8 med ball/used gloves this helped me grip the med ball better. Calories Burned-= 61 Time- 10 min.

I really love STS and recommend it highly. Its effective and is set up to be specific to you. CatheTV is awesome giving excellent tips etc...

Ok, that's it for me today. I hope everyone had a great workout day.

Hugs!:)

Nora

Thanks for the feeedback Dani, Jennifer, Wendy and Jimmie!

Btw, it is always your check in too....no matter what week you are in, join in the fun. That's why are here :)

Perfect Stebby! You are right where you should be.

I did Disc 7 yesterday, and I thought this one was fun! On a few exercises my muscles failed before I could finish the set, but I got pretty close (e.g. failed on rep 14 and just missed the last rep). I felt I put in a good effort.

I couldn't believe those push-ups at the end! I did them all on my knees with a straight body - I didn't have to modify to "granny style" as I'd been afraid I would have to do. I am getting stronger, definitely. In the first set at the beginning of the workout, I actually did the first 8 on my toes, which I hadn't been able to do for a long time.

I have a history of shoulder problems, wrist problems, elbow problems, neck problems and upper back problems. I am surprised, and pleased, that I've had no flare-ups of anything since I started STS. The weights from my 1 RM tests seem to be right for me, and I like the fact that Cathe has us building up slowly. I also like the fact that we are hitting every muscle group from different angles, so I don't feel like I'm overtraining one area and undertraining another (probably the cause of all the problems I've had in the past).

The first week of STS, I had terrible DOMS. The second week, it was much reduced. Today, I have no DOMS at all. (But I was still pleasantly exhausted after finishing the workout and had trouble getting showered and dressed because my arms felt like noodles.)

Stebby

Great plan Leslie. Have a wonderful trip.

I counted 109 pushups on my toes today, and I didn't even do all the pushups as I skipped the staggered pushups and the 21's. Still, I was happy with that accomplishment. Those Elmo pushups were the biggest challenge!:eek:

My elbow is pretty sore (don't know what from) so I've been going lighter on the bicep curls. I challenged my shoulders and got a good pump in them.

I'm switching my routine a bit this week, as we're going on a a 4 day ski trip to New Hampshire (leaving Wed nite). I'm going to do Back and Tri's tomorrow and Legs on Wednesday. I'll be getting some cardio in this afternoon shoveling snow.

Good evening everyone! I finished Disc 7 and Med Ball Abs about an hour ago. I really liked the band work (incline hammer curls, bow and arrows). All of those push-ups were tough. I am still at a max of 10-12 on my toes. I modified where I could to knees or did them at a 30-45 degree angle on the steps.

I was much better organized for this workout and didn't have to pause the dvd at all. Before my workout, I wrote down what combination of weights, plate mates, and weighted gloves I would need to make the odd weights. It made the workout run much smoother. I have now done that with the next two workouts for this week.

I also did the med-ball workout (including partner with my 10 yo DD). That ab workout was a lot of fun. My DD wanted to do it again:eek:!

Carrie

See how strong you've become SassyLady7 ?

Hi Everyone,

Did Disc 7 on Sunday. I started out this work-out feeling strong & well-rested. I did good most of the work-out--stayed at 65% 1RM for most of the exercises. The push-ups!!! Wow, Cathe, I didn't think would make us do the 8+8+30 push-ups AND the drop-set push-ups 14+12+10+8+6 all in the same work-out! ;) But all in all, it went well. There was no delayed onset muscle soreness, my shoulders were sore by the end of the work-out & it has continued on today!
But again, a good work-out & looking forward to Disc 8 on Tuesday.

See you all then!

Dear Peanut Butter and Jelly arms....LOL You have worked so hard you are now allowed to have one of those sandwishes too. :D

WOW! DISC 7 is done and my muscles are pumped. I have never felt that at this level before. The pace and the variety of Meso 1 are fantastic.
I could hardly make my kids pb&j's for lunch since Doms already set in.....:confused: But it tells me I'm working.
I was crazy enough to do medicine ball abs straight after my workout. I thought I was going to throw the ball out the window. :eek:
I am truly having fun with STS and sharing with all of you. It is great to know that we are in this together. Sure makes it easier to get up and just do it knowing that you are too.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.