STS CHECK IN DISC 5...

I did Disc #5 today for the second time (I'm doing the longer rotation), but this time I used the Fitness by Cathe green band since my Dynaband broke last week. OMG!!!! The is NO comparison in tension between the two. I could barely move the new green band. Looking forward to this thing breaking-in more.

Also, I usually dislike back work, but I love the STS back work so far. Lots of variety!

I did Disc 5 yesterday. I am absolutely useless at pull-ups and chin-ups, but I keep trying! I need to find better makeshift equipment. I've tried my body bar across two chairs (too low) and have tried just using the edge of the dining room table (right height, but can't get a grip). DH was watching me trying to do them from the dining room table, and I was seeing the wheels turn in his brain (he's an engineer) - so I hope he comes up with an idea!

No DOMS this morning, even though I went to failure a number of times, especially on triceps. The weights I'm using are generally good though - if there are 15 reps, I can generally do 14 or 15 but no more than that.

I need to watch my eating - I feel like I'm putting on some fat. I've kept the same cardio I was doing before. I'm doing my STS workouts and 2-3 abdominal workouts as well. I haven't thought about whether I'm hungrier or not, and not monitoring whether I'm eating more - need to start paying attention.

Stebby

I did Disc 5 this morning and my triceps are already feeling it! I loved the drop sets at the end. Looking forward to leg day on Friday.

Have a good day everyone,
Bev

Hi Everyone,

I did Disk 5 on Tuesday & all day today (it's the evening here in Germany), my back & triceps were feeling it! Last week I thought the back & triceps workout (Disc 2) was the easiest workout of week 1. So, I thought Disc 5 will be a little easier than chest, shoulders & biceps were on Sunday. WRONG!!! The drop-sets really made this workout intense (also because they were at the end of the work-out when my muscles were pretty fatigued). Even though some of the exercises are the same, I'm finding that definitely each work-out is a whole new challenge!
But it's worth it...I'm noticing that especially my shoulders are beginning to look more toned! Can't wait until the rest of my body follows my shoulders' lead!

Well, judging from Jillybean's comments about Disc 6, I guess I better get some sleep so I'll be ready for it tomorrow! ;)

Cathe,

I had a question on Disc 4 but not sure if you seen it.

When I started with the bicep curls with DBs my left arm just would not budge. Right arm was fine. I went down in weight and it helped a bit but it almost seemed like it was paralyzed and just wouldn't move. The bow and arrow move holding the left arm out straight was tough. My arm would start to lower before we were done with the set. the lat raises that we went up and was suppose to hold up for the "8" count was not happening after the first 3or4 reps. My arm just would not stay up there.

Is this normal that some days the body just is rejecting to move? I did have DOMS in my bi and shoulder so I did work but I have never had that happen before where the arm/shoulder were not cooperating.

Rhonda

I HOPE this is normal, it happens to me frequently, especially with tricep extensions. My arms will simply not move. Period. :(

Kay,

Not Cathe. Of course.;) I had problems keeping my legs down the first time I did these. Another STSer recommended that I extend my legs. I bent the lower leg and kept my top leg straight for stability. That helped tremendously.

Wendy

Thanks Wendy, I'll give it a try:) Kay

I completed my first round of Disk#5 this morning (I'm on the six month rotation). The time really flew by for me. After I finished the drop-sets, I was thinking 'That wasn't so bad'....and then I picked up a pen to record my weights. My arms were really shaking! Even now, about four hours after the workout, I feel a nice fatigue in my arms. This is what I'm sooo loving about STS so far...the workouts aren't so hard that I'm counting seconds just to get through them but I FEEL them for the rest of the day.

I could really feel the 5% increase in weight on some of the exercises, but I was able to complete all of the reps. The 1RM info still seems to be working for me. My favorite part of this workout was the seesaw pushups into the band pulldowns. That felt good!! The side lying push-ups are definitely getting more doable, which is a good thing after my first attempt a couple of weeks ago. :)

I use the tubing since I don't have a method for using a pull-up bar right now. I admit that the past couple of weeks I wasn't finding this challenging at all (and I'm using Cathe's toughest tubing). This week, I actually decided to fill in the entire 30 seconds instead of just 12 reps, and that really seemed to help. I'm still looking for ways of making this a bit more challenging, and will probably look for more challenging tubing later in the series. But for this endurance part, I think I will continue like I did today (about 20-24 reps) because it did create a nice warm sensation in my back.

Another great workout!

Disc #5 done. :)

I love drop set weight training. A few years back when I was still going to a gym I made a point to add a few drop set rotations into my workouts 2-3 times a year. They really get in there and fry your muscles. :)

I'm already seeing some changes in my muscle definition...yipee! :D In fact Monday after finishing up disc 4 my husband pointed out how much he could see the indentation between my shoulder, bicep and tricep muscles..hehe. I was kind've bashful about it but something must be working if he's impressed. Thanks Cathe!! :)

See you on Friday everyone! :)

Good late afternoon of STS Day 6!

Well, that was a nice little workout, wasn't it? :D Yowza! Nice work, Cathe, putting that one together! My triceps are toast, and my back is t.i.r.e.d!

I so agree with Tracy about having the pull ups at the end! I don't even attempt unassisted at that point; my hands and forearms are shaking and it's all I can do just to do my assisted toe-touch at the bottom. Do you all also find you can go heavier with the underhand barbell rows than the overhand ones? Yet the workout manager gives me the same weight for both.

With those leaning triceps extensions, the stabilizers are critical, as Tracy noted, aren't they? My right arm is hyper-flexible, and when I lift that arm at that angle, holding a db, it slips right out of the socket. So, for the right side I have to hold the arm at more of an angle than straight up, as Cathe does. The left arm/shoulder is fine.

I was looking forward to the strip sets at the end....until I got there! I eeked out all the reps with the requisite loads, but can't say I'm going to win any medals for form! I was working really hard to keep my elbows up during those double-arm kickbacks, and fighting to get full extension.

I did the Pilates abs from Ab Circuits for the first time, and was so relieved that 98% of it was done lying on my back! My arms did not want to support me anymore. I really liked that ab workout. Thanks so much for putting that together, Cathe! Tonight I'm going to introduce my husband to the partner abs :eek:. He'll be thrilled, I'm sure.

I used the purple dynaband this week, as I keep hearing Cathe's green band is so taut. The extra challenge felt very good. I may have to buy some of those Cathe bands, though.

I'm looking forward to The Cathe Report on Disc 5!
Sandra

Loved Disc 5 and love the way I felt afterwards. I wish I could do just one full pull up or chin up - I am considering ordering some bands to assist me in these exercises. After reading AngelaP's comments, I also think I need some Fitness by Cathe bands for the band work.

Looking forward to Disc 6.

I was happy I had time this morning to do all of disc 5 because I had to cut disc 4 short--although I intend to finish what I didn't do of that disc later this week.

I'm noticing some strength gains already, esp. in my triceps. I could do all the straight leg tricep pushups and those dreaded side-lying tricep pushups, which are my nemesis! The pullups/chin ups are still tough, even w/ my assisted pullup bands, but I did manage to do at least 8 reps in each set using my medium band. I'm going a little lighter with rows, as I find my back gives out on me early when I use heavier weights.

BTW Cathe, what are you doing for cardio? Anything else beside teach?

I did Disc #5 today for the second time (I'm doing the longer rotation), but this time I used the Fitness by Cathe green band since my Dynaband broke last week. OMG!!!! The is NO comparison in tension between the two. I could barely move the new green band. Looking forward to this thing breaking-in more.

Also, I usually dislike back work, but I love the STS back work so far. Lots of variety!

Angela,

I was going to post the same thing. I cannot believe how much harder the Fitness by Cathe bands are. I also used the blue band along with my resistance tubing for the pulldowns. It felt GREAT!

Carrie

I just finished STS Disc 5. I thoroughly enjoyed it. I purchased the Fitness by Cathe bands yesterday and used the green band for most of the band work. I had to switch to my "wimpy" Dynaband for some of the T and Y 7-and-1's. On a side note - anyone considering purchasing the Fitness by Cathe bands - JUST DO IT (as Nike says)! They are wonderful bands, good quality, and well worth the price for the three.

My one concern is still getting set up in time. It is difficult to get my gloves on and off and loaded with the mini sand bags. I think I may just get another set of plate mates. My wish is that Cathe's weighted gloves were somehow connected to the weight lifting gloves.

I did some of the chin ups and pull ups on the bar of my treadmill and the rest with my new Cathe band (blue) along with my tubing. The exercises felt great. I liked moves like the seasaw push-ups. I was able to do all of the side-lying tricep push-ups. I struggled on the last rep or two of the one arm leaning overhead extensions. Those were tough! I am glad the deadlifts are in this workout. I feel my hamstrings are weak so anything to strengthen them in additional to my lower back. I also really like supermans so those feel good on the lower back as well.

I look forward to hearing everyone's input. Thanks Cathe!

Carrie

Disc 5 done! Oh my goodness, "Cathe, slow down!!", lol. I confess Cathe, at one point I looked up at my TV today, and said just that! lol. I also need to get more organized and put things away between exercises, I was tripping over dumbbells today, lol. Great workout though. I loved it :)

Great workout! It was challenging and fun. I went to Olympia sports today and bought the Cathe gloves, but I also had trouble taking them on and off.. My main problem seems to be coordination and timing when shifting from exercise to exercise. At the 65 RPM I seem to have weights that are odd numbered right now so I scramble to combine weights to get the right number. . If anyone has found a smooth transition from weighted gloves on/off etc...I would love the advice. Cheers

STS- M1-W2-Disc 5- Back and Tri's= 58 min (This was an awesome/intense workout.

This was an intense workout I found that I could do pretty much my 65% of my 1RM. If I did have to alter anything it was only on the dumbell rows. I had to lower the wt a 3-5 pounds on a few of them. Barbell rows I did #45 pounds instead of #48 so that isn't so bad but that means its not 65% of my 1RM. I feel really bad about that, I sucked. Oh well.
I did get to use Cathe's tubing- the red one with the over the door attachment to use for chinups, pullups which worked well.
The band work is always killer and today's band work was no exception.
Calories Burned= 475

Then I did STS- Ab Circuits- Med ball abs no partner=10 min those were good.
Calories burned= 55

That it for me today, hopefully I'll get better with STS. Maybe, I'm too hard on myself.

I trust that everyone had a productive and great workout today. Its over the hump day so I hope it went well for everyone.

Hugs,:)

Nora

STS Disc 5 Check-in

Cathe:

I am pressing on with my STS rotation. I enjoyed STS Disc 5 for the second time yesterday morning. This back and triceps workout is more challenging for me than the first one. The drop sets at the end are very intense. I am so glad I invested in PlateMates last year. I need both PlateMates and Fitness by Cathe weighted gloves to get the most out of these workouts. I still have not figured out a way to make 14-pound weights because my 12-pound weights are coated with rounded ends. The PlateMates will not safely stick to them. I need 2-pound weighted gloves! I embraced the challenge and pushed myself through the last few reps with 15-pound weights.

I am looking forward to revisiting STS Disc 6 in the morning. I hope you had a great workout tonight! Hugs! Sweet dreams!

Blessings,
Heather B.

"So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God" (1 Corinthians 10:31 NIV).

At last, a chance to report in....

I did Disc 5 around 4pm today and now at 11:45 I'm feeling the tightness in my upper back and triceps moving in.

I found this workout to feel very different then disc 2. This time I changed the third set of pull ups to tubing since I was REALLY fatigued. That was THE perfect challenge for me at that point in the program.

The band work was in all the right places to be a true challenge. How about using the "way harder" green fitness by Cathe band with the standing SLOW lat pulldown? :p

The last set of 7 on each set of barbell rows really BIT HARD.

The pullover nearly did just that :D....whoah, thought I was going for a back flip, lol. I had to work hard to anchor my trembling lower back while my trembling triceps tried to maneuver that weight so gracefully over my head and back. I'd forgotten how hard they were :confused:

The drop set of back rows had me turn on my core SO HARD for stabilization by the last set of 10. Yowsa!

For triceps the real biters for me were the sea saw pushups on the PARTIAL reps. Wow, those really got way deep in the muscle. I really really felt them. I also really felt the superset of double arm tricep kickbacks with weights into the single arm kickback with the band. :eek:

The side lying one arm push ups with arm on top of shoulder really got me. The drop set felt good until the last set.

I had a lot of energy going into todays workout so I was caught off guard at how hard it was. I thought I was going to have a much easier time. Oh well, I have to remember......if its too easy it aint worth doin'.

Be back tomorrow to read and respond to comments. I have to get some shut eye now. Stay strong everyone!

Cathe

I am done with Disc 3 Week 2 of the 6th month rotation. I did legs and I hate to say it but doing this workout is not any easier the second time around. I do love this workout and am very challenged. I also did ABS with weights and plates. Caution- the plate workout is very hard. You need space to do these incredible exercises. I could not do them. These will have to be on YOUTUBE with explanations. Man, how I'm jealous of anyone doing those and finishing the set.
Thanks for an incredible workout Cathe.
Veronika

Disc 5 was harder for me than Disc 2. I finished it, but dang!

I loved the seesaw push-ups. I remember those from Supersets. Back then though I was horrible and actually face planted. It was great to get through them all with no trouble! ;)

I already feel the burn from the entire workout. Yay!

I did the medicine ball abs afterwards. Last time the fiance and I also added on the Partner abs, tonight no such luck. He said he was burning. :D

I do know that I have to get organized. I was just putting my weights wherever and because of that I had to pause the DVD twice to load my barbell and then again to set up for the drop sets of the rows.

Great workout!

--Tara

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.