Squat Rack or Plyo Legs for Meso 3?

Pinny150

Cathlete
I'm just curious what everyone has done for Meso 3 for Legs, what the decding factors were, the results, or if you've tried both? I've got a couple of months before I hit Meso 3....but it's been on my mind as to which way to gear up for. ;) Thanks!

Iris

Hi Iris,

Meso 3 is my favorite of the three and I am looking forward to getting there again.

I tried both plyo and squat rack legs last year. I preferred squat rack legs but I do like heavy lifting. My legs were very muscular and defined as a result. I enjoyed the plyo because it was fun but they were tough workouts!

I am starting the STS Strength/Cardio rotation on Monday and I plan on doing squat rack legs again. I just can’t imagine doing plyo the day after HIIT (or two HIITs). I am pretty sure I would be modifying! I also add cardio on my lifting days.

I don’t have a squat rack at home so I will be using a 50 lb. weight vest this time to add weight or going to the gym to lift. If I were going to do STS plyo legs this time through the rotation, I would probably decide to swap out some of the Shock Cardio HIIT workouts the day before plyo, for spin or a different cardio activity.

Have you done or previewed both workouts? This might help you decide. I hope some other folks will post their thoughts and experiences.

Enjoy your rotation!

I'm interested in people's ideas here as well! I will be on my rest week next week, then starting Meso 3. I have plyo legs on the schedule because:

1. I don't have a squat rack.
2. I don't have a weighted vest to increase my weight and my legs can handle a lot of weight as well!
3. I can't afford to get either right now! DH is still out of work, so we're on a much tighter budget these days!

But, for future reference, I'd like to know what other's results were from both style of leg workouts!

Both.

I did both plyo and squat rack. I did STS twice last year, back-to-back.

If I were to choose only one, I'd pick squat rack. (I was able to use up to 100 lbs. because I have a Valor stand.) Those plyo leg workouts were exhausting!

Hi!

I am doing the six month rotation, and I start Meso 3 next week. Are you supposed to do either the squat rack or plyo legs throughout the entire Meso 3 or can you interchange them lets say, every two weeks?

Thanks!

Carolinehttp://www.thecathenation.com/forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

I did two rounds of STS last year. I did squat rack legs both times. I used plyo legs both times too but only did the plyo chapters. I used plyo legs as cardio workouts.

I have a squat rack so lifting heavy was not an issue for me.

For various reasons, I am not a fan of jumping. I do it on occasion with some cardio, but when given a choice, I went with squat rack and loved it!!!! I love going heavy and really enjoyed that one. For me it was no question. - autumn

I'm interested in people's ideas here as well! I will be on my rest week next week, then starting Meso 3. I have plyo legs on the schedule because:

1. I don't have a squat rack.
2. I don't have a weighted vest to increase my weight and my legs can handle a lot of weight as well!
3. I can't afford to get either right now! DH is still out of work, so we're on a much tighter budget these days!

But, for future reference, I'd like to know what other's results were from both style of leg workouts!

I can only tell you about squat rack results for me. I have ALWAYS hated doing lower body, until STS. Guess because you do such a variety and if you hate one exercise, it wont be long until your doing something else. Anyway, I had never really had good definition in my legs, not like I want anyway; that is until STS meso 3. Even meso 2 I noticed, but 3 brought it home. I have to say I didn't think just doing so few exercises would do anything, but it really did. I still need to loose weight, but there is a lot of definition and muscle now. autumn

I did STS twice last year. The first time I did Plyo the second time I did both. I love to jump so Plyo was my favorite ;) but the squat rack routine really helped me to strengthen my legs and butt. :)

I like them both! But I have seen better leg definition & strength gains from doing Squat Rack legs than I did with Plyo legs. I used a heavy weighted vest plus a barbell to get 80%-90% of my 1RM. I did see results from Plyo legs, but not as obvious.

I believe the recommendation has been to do only one or the other when you do Meso 3, rather than switch week to week or every 2 wks, etc. The first time I did Meso 3, I did plyo legs; now I'm doing an undulating rotation and am doing the Squat Rack leg routine.

Plyo legs definitely has a fun factor & seems to fly by. Squat Rack tends to go slower, but the 150 second breaks are really needed. About 1/3 into the workout, my legs really begin to feel it, so I'm thankful for the long breaks!

I did both as well. I used plyo legs on a different day instead of cardio, even though I did it the way it was, with weights. It was hard..
The squat rack was something I've never done before. I loved it. And an added bonus was that I also saw my abs strengthening with it, not just the legs. I bought a squat rack, a heavier barbell set and a weighted vest, but that investment was definitely worth it! I am planning to do it again this time around, I am in meso 1 now.
Krasy

Thanks for all your input! My legs tend to firm up and define pretty quickly, but I do love the idea of squat rack legs! Guess I'm stuck with plyo until either the Workout Fairy comes or my DH finds a job and I can get a squat rack!

So here we are 2 and 1/2 months later...I just started Meso 3 today. I think because I'm doing the 6 month rotation, I will do 1 month of Squat Rack and then 1 month of Plyo...unless of course the results are just so awesome with Squat rack, then I'll just stick with that! ;)

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.