So will you get the shot?

My workplace (an outpatient cancer clinic) requires us to get the vaccine since we are working with immunosuppressed patients. My husband (a UPS driver) has had several brushes with the swine flu- a couple of his delivery sites have had major outbreaks- fortunately, he has a very good immune system and never came down with this strain. I wouldn't get the vaccine if it were not required, I also am of the belief that a strong immune system is the best defense.

Brenda in Indiana

No, but I don't do the regular flu or pneumonia shot either.
The older I get, the more nervous I get about what we're putting into our bodies. I did have my girls start the HPV series, but now regret it and am not sure I will have them finish. It's such a tough call to make and I have no clue if I'm right or wrong. I just pray for the best.
Becky

Buffy, I could care less what the courts say or any other "expert" tells me about the safety of vaccinations. All I know is I had a healthy, happy baby boy until his last rounds of shots. It was not only a change in my child, but a total regression. There are thousands of parents who have had this same "phenomenon" occur. My child has permanent neurological damage, whether it was an allergic reaction, the high fever that followed the shots, or just too much injected at one time. I think parents need to think long and hard about this new vaccine. I'm not anti-vax, I just believe in common sense.

Tina
Tina,
I'm so sorry to hear this about your son.
I think many times we are serving as guinea pigs for the chemical companies (including genetically engineered food).

I got the flu shot ONCE about 11 yrs ago with no problems. Like Becky ("Hi BECKY!!! MIss ya!!!") I do plan on getting it this yr though as well as my entire family. I have 2 newborn twins in my daycare & although no one in my family has had the flu over the yrs I want to be safe for them. As far as the H1N1 - I'll pass on that one - to new for me.
We do the common sense things, hand washing, bleaching, not touching face etc. :D

Thanks, Kathryn. My son is 12 now and is doing better now that he is homeschooled, but he will have life long health issues. He's 12 now so we had no idea at the time that vaccinations could be dangerous to some children. It's been eye opening to hear story after story of our exact scenario happening to other families. For some reason, boys seem to be at risk more than girls. Hopefully in our life time, they can find the reason behind the connection. Until then, I will forever remain on guard. As for my daughter, I'm still on the fence about her getting the H1N1 shot. It would have to be free of Thimerosal for sure. My DH and I are still discussing it, as she goes to a high school of over 1700 students. I would never consider the nasal vaccination, EVER!

Tina

Thanks, Kathryn. My son is 12 now and is doing better now that he is homeschooled, but he will have life long health issues. He's 12 now so we had no idea at the time that vaccinations could be dangerous to some children. It's been eye opening to hear story after story of our exact scenario happening to other families. For some reason, boys seem to be at risk more than girls. Hopefully in our life time, they can find the reason behind the connection. Until then, I will forever remain on guard. As for my daughter, I'm still on the fence about her getting the H1N1 shot. It would have to be free of Thimerosal for sure. My DH and I are still discussing it, as she goes to a high school of over 1700 students. I would never consider the nasal vaccination, EVER!

Tina

I am so sorry to hear about that, too, Tina, and am glad that he is doing better. I have a little boy too and this scares me to no end.

I've been sitting here debating should I or should I post this? I decided to post it for those who may be interested or have some info disproving the allegations:
If the charges described in the lawsuit are true, it means the FDA has blatantly abandoned medical science and violated its own regulations in approving not only these four vaccines, but the potentially deadly adjuvant chemicals as well. To date, the FDA has produced absolutely no scientific evidence documenting safety tests for any of these swine flu vaccines. There are no published studies, no records of any clinical trials, and no publicly-available paper trail demonstrating that any safety testing was done whatsoever. There is no researcher who has publicly put their name on the record declaring the vaccines to be safe, and no FDA official has ever stated that scientifically-valid safety testing has ever been conducted on the vaccine / adjuvant combinations now being distributed across America.

Normally, when a pharmaceutical achieves "FDA approved" status, there is a considerable paper trail of scientific scrutiny, peer review, clinical trials and other supporting evidence. To our knowledge, no such documents exist for the swine flu vaccines. The FDA's approval of these vaccines appears to be based entirely on a whim.
Source:http://www.naturalnews.com/027205_vaccines_swine_flu_the_FDA.html
Clinical trials started in what July? Trials on pregnant women in September? Maybe that explains the lack of evidence.

Went to the clinicaltrials.gov and you can see the status of the clinical trials
http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=H1N1
You can also read the preliminary results.

Last edited:
Here is my question and forgive me if I sound ignorant but what is the big deal with H1N1? As far as I know, more people have died from the "regular" flu than this and the symptoms are similar.

The way I see it is a mass-hysteria produced by the media. I'm not a conspiracy theorist or anything like that, but it just seems a little blown out of proportion to me. There are probably billions of strains of the flu; they picked one that was frequenting and gave it a scary name and everyone is freaking out. Before they even labeled it "swine flu," how do you know if you've had it in the past and it was dismissed as the plain old flu?

All of this just doesn't sit well with me and maybe I'm ignorant but I'm really not that concerned about it.

DH would be able to explain this much better than I, but I'll share what I can remember.

Pigs are supposed to be great mixing vessels for flu strains, meaning a bird flu strain and a human flu strain can get together and create a whole new strain, one we've never seen before that could potentially be nastier than previous strains.

I'm guessing some of the common flu we've gotten in the past orginiated from pigs, so it's not the pig specifically that's the problem. It's the mixing in of bird flu strains. One microbiologist told me his concern is a hybrid strain that is as deadly as bird flu and as infectious as pig/human flu.

Here's the response I got from him when I asked how impressed he was with H1N1:

"Fairly. This strain has been a decade or so in the making, seeing as its ancestors were circulating in the Southern US and Mexico and it has had an overnight success with this particular combination of genes. In the space of a few months, it has burst out from a hypothetical pig farm in Mexico, crossed the species barrier and is now a pandemic. As predicted, air travel and the globalized world in general is helping it along. So the transmissibility of it is good.

In terms of out and out nastiness, it doesn't rate much at the moment. Sadly people have died, most have "underlying medical problems", are pregnant or are obese men. The number of people taken from health to death is even smaller.

This is the inverse to what the media calls bird flu (H5N1 highly pathogenic influenza). It has been knocking around for the last decade or so, causing limited outbreaks where contact with dead or dying birds is the means of transmission for the most part. However, it seems to kill about 60% of the people it does infect. The area in which these outbreaks have occurred is radiating ever outward.

I'm impressed by H1N1 swine flu for how communicable it is. I'm impressed by H5N1 by how lethal it is.

I'd be *scared* by a strain which shared those two properties. Imagine all the people infected to date, and perhaps half of those dying.

This is why swine flu needs to be contained, because A) it diverts resources from containing bird flu and B)it increases the chance of a virus producing a bastard offspring with H5N1. Everything else is media hype, to a greater or lesser extent.

Our best chance of containing swine flu and bird flu though is to radically rethink our relations with animals currently in farms. In the first instance, the chance has been lost, in the second, well..."

Last edited:
Very good explanation.

A friend's husband was in the vaccine trial (he's a doctor) and says that the vaccine has the same risks as the seasonal vaccine because it's only slightly different.

The part where I am confused is the Canadian study that someone else mentioned where the seasonal vaccine increases h1n1 infection (I've already had the seasonal vaccine).

ALSO I read that it is possible that being exposed to h1n1 before getting the vaccine can have negative side effects. I don't understand how that can be true and I wish someone trustworthy would talk more about it.

I live in Mexico City and there's an extremely good chance I've been exposed to it or even already had it. I had the flu (as did lots of people I know) right before the swine flu news broke, but we all could have had the seasonal flu for all I know.

So I really don't know if we should get the vaccine or not. I have asthma and had horrible chronic bronchitis growing up so my lungs do not like any kind of infection.

So I would be inclined to get the vaccine, but then the advice in my situation (with seasonal vaccine, exposed to h1n1) is so confusing!

So I really don't know if we should get the vaccine or not. I have asthma and had horrible chronic bronchitis growing up so my lungs do not like any kind of infection.

So I would be inclined to get the vaccine, but then the advice in my situation (with seasonal vaccine, exposed to h1n1) is so confusing!
DH told me yesterday that he's decided we're all getting the shot, so I guess that's the direction I'm heading in, but I'm not thrilled.

You and I should just make sure we have our inhalers and are ready when this bug comes around again.

A lawsuit is being filed against the FDA stating that it has not properly determined the safety and efficacy of the swine flu vaccine. If you're interested in reading about it, the link is below.

Bam

http://www.naturalnews.com/027205_vaccines_swine_flu_the_FDA.html

I saw this too and posted it Friday :) along with the link to the clinical trials link - which allows you to check on the status of various clinical trials. Interesting read... especially if it is true.

If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable. The FDA approved the H1N1 with a waiver, the clinical trials are ongoing. Maybe in a year from now they find out that "oh yeah, congrats, you didn't get the flu, but now you have a heart condition". But then again they will find a way to wiggle themselves out of that one too. Just like an oncologist told me that the supposed problems with the cancer drug adriamycin isn't really true, it may be that people just make bad "life style choices" and that's why they need a heart transplant. Ummmh, yeah, it couldn't possibly be the drug.

I don't know, I am not a health care professional and thus probably not viewed competent but were I stand, I would want to know what the LONG-term effects of a vaccine, drug or treatment are, not what the 2-months effects are. To me it should be that the manufacturer (not only for drugs) should have to prove its safety and efficiacy. But that would be too much common sense to ask for.

I am tired of the media painting those of us who don't want to have the vaccine administered to our kids as irresponsible whereas I think it is the media and the pharmaceutical industry smelling big bucks blowing things out of proportion. I think every death of a person, particularly a child is horrible and should not happen but to put things in proportion: How many people die every year from taking aspirin? 2,000! How many people die every year from problems related to the prescription of drugs? Over 200,000! How many kids die from Tylenol or other pain relievers every year? Over 1,000!

Now, 79 people have died of H1N1 this year and of course I would want to prevent any deaths. Going by their logic that every death needs to be prevented, why don't they then take kids Tylenol off the market? Why don't they take Aspirin off the market?

To me it is all a risk vs. benefit evaluation. What is the risk of contracting H1N1 AND developing a life threating condition vs. what is the risk of a vaccine that has not even been tested for long term effects? Not even taking into consideration that vaccines are not 100 % effective anyway. You can get vaccinated and still contract the flu, in fact it is really a common occurance. Viruses have a funny way of mutating and even if they didn't the mere existence of anti-bodies and fabricated "immunity" does not provide immune defense.

Last edited:
I don't know, I am not a health care professional and thus probably not viewed competent but were I stand, I would want to know what the LONG-term effects of a vaccine, drug or treatment are, not what the 2-months effects are. To me it should be that the manufacturer (not only for drugs) should have to prove its safety and efficiacy. But that would be too much common sense to ask for.

I am tired of the media painting those of us who don't want to have the vaccine administered to our kids as irresponsible whereas I think it is the media and the pharmaceutical industry smelling big bucks blowing things out of proportion. I think every death of a person, particularly a child is horrible and should not happen but to put things in proportion: How many people die every year from taking aspirin? 2,000! How many people die every year from problems related to the prescription of drugs? Over 200,000! How many kids die from Tylenol or other pain relievers every year? Over 1,000!

Now, 79 people have died of H1N1 this year and of course I would want to prevent any deaths. Going by their logic that every death needs to be prevented, why don't they then take kids Tylenol off the market? Why don't they take Aspirin off the market?

To me it is all a risk vs. benefit evaluation. What is the risk of contracting H1N1 AND developing a life threating condition vs. what is the risk of a vaccine that has not even been tested for long term effects? Not even taking into consideration that vaccines are not 100 % effective anyway. You can get vaccinated and still contract the flu, in fact it is really a common occurance. Viruses have a funny way of mutating and even if they didn't the mere existence of anti-bodies and fabricated "immunity" does not provide immune defense.

I totally agree!

Hell no to both!!!!!

Seasonal flu vaccines never work for me because I got more colds/flu when I had flu shots. So I stopped getting one since 4 years ago and I have not gotten sick since then.

I would never take H1N1 vaccine because there is not enough study and it is not worth the risk! Even some doctors are against H1N1 vaccines and it is not FDA approved.

Well, I've changed my mind. H1N1 is flying around here like crazy, and we know a lot of people who are ill. I just started getting sick yesterday, and judging from the symptoms, DH thinks I have it. I don't see the point of me getting the vaccine now.

Feels like regular old crappy flu to me.

If it wasn't so sad it would be laughable. The FDA approved the H1N1 with a waiver, the clinical trials are ongoing. Maybe in a year from now they find out that "oh yeah, congrats, you didn't get the flu, but now you have a heart condition". But then again they will find a way to wiggle themselves out of that one too. Just like an oncologist told me that the supposed problems with the cancer drug adriamycin isn't really true, it may be that people just make bad "life style choices" and that's why they need a heart transplant. Ummmh, yeah, it couldn't possibly be the drug.

There have been over 4,500 reported deaths from H1N1 this year. No idea where you got the 79 number but it's iwrong.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2009_10_09/en/index.html

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.