So I think I found the secret to weight loss

LauraMax

Cathlete
Well, what works for me, anyway. It's totally psychological. What I've figured out is that I can't consider food something I enjoy, I have to think of it as subsistence only. It's not for pleasure, it's what your body needs to live.

Don't get me wrong--I don't have an eating disorder, I eat plenty. The difference is I don't buy foods I love, I buy foods I know have the right nutrition with the lowest cals, carbs & fat possible. Doesn't make for very tasty food, but it does make for a lower number on the scale.

I'm not exactly happy about this, but I think I've come to understand it & be able to live with it (as long as I have that cheat meal every once in a while). It sort of comes down to finding other physical activities that can substitute the satisfaction you get from good pizza, ice cream & chocolate. ;) And like I said, this might not work for everyone, but I've lost 15 lbs since last October & I guess if I stick with this mindset I'll be able to keep it off.

Laura, You look great to me. I don't see five pounds to lose much less fifteen in your pics.

You are too sensible for anyone to suspect of an eating disorder. Eating the wrong foods or over eating is as much a disorder in my book as under eating, so I am with you to the extent that choosing nutritious food most of the time is important.

I like moderation. I enjoy fruits and veggies and can eat what I consider healthy and still love the taste of my food. I avoid refined carbs and fatty food but don't do low carb. But then I'd be delighted to look like your prior to weight loss pics.

I recently enrolled into a nutrution class this fall to help me better understand food/weight loss and so forth. What I'm learning is that we should aim for nutrient dense foods(meaning basically what you stated in your comment). The instructor has us studying food labels closely and it really makes you second guess your food choices before you put them in your mouth.

I've been logging my eats in myfoodpyramid.gov and myfitnesspal and it really amazes me to see how much sugar I'm ingesting a day along with other areas in which I am deficient. Maybe we should go back to the primitive days of our ancestors and concentrate on foods we need in order to survive.

I admire your dedication, Laura.

I'm more in Vee's camp of moderation though. I avoid the man-made garbage out there, for sure, but also believe that God created all these wonderful foods to be enjoyed and make us strong and healthy. Going back to our roots doesn't mean we can't enjoy the food. There is a strong social and spirital aspect to food that I benefit from participating in. Food can feed our bodies and our souls and bring us enjoyment and sustinance.

(sorry if I'm sounding preachy - I teach a food-focused Sunday school class and I and the children have been so enriched from it).

i agree about choosing nutrient dense foods and choosing foods you can keep the portion healthy sized. i like most fruit and veggies, i feel healthier, more energy, but i have to remind myself to save some for another day or for family members. pasta is fairly healthy in mod. but i find its easier if i make it less often. my family doesnt like it as much as me, so then they dont miss it and i didnt eat a whole pot of spagetti in a matter of days either. when i do make pasta i only make enough for that meal , no extra helpings or leftovers.

I wish I could go the moderate route! I used to be able to, but doesn't work for me anymore. My diet is mostly protein & fiber. But I'm not kidding you when I tell you a few extra tablespoons of PB will literally put on a few extra pounds!

However I might be a little too OCD about my weight. I cannot stand to see jiggle when I look in the mirror. I have 2 numbers in my head--if I go above one I'm too jiggly, if I go below I get too thin. (but at least I know when I'm getting too thin ;))

Cindi, not partaking in all of those wonderful foods is kind of emotionally painful for me. That's my biggest problem--I think I might have overdeveloped tastebuds or something. :D I do miss a good plate of pasta now & then, or some well made pastries. :p

It is so interesting to hear how different things work for different people.

I recently went in a completely different direction from you. I was a bit tired of focusing on what I "should" be eating instead of what I "want" to eat and just wanted to get more pleasure of of eating. I read three books that really helped me see things differently. 1) Intiutive Eating; 2) French Women Don't Get Fat; and 3) Naturally Thin (by Bethenny Frankel). Of the three I think I got the most of Naturally Thin. She gives a lot of really good information and tips but basically, it breaks down to eating mostly good (healthy) food and some (albiet less) of the foods you really enjoy. Balancing your meals each day. I know I'm not doing the book justice by saying it that way because it sounds like stuff we've all heard before. Moderation. The book also gives alot of tips for dining out which is always where I tend to fall down. Bethenny's cookbook is awesome too, btw.

I should say that I'm not overweight, but like most people would love to lose about 5-7 pounds. I've taken off about 3 or 4 lbs. in a month or so and very painlessly I should say. Really a lifestyle and mindset thing more than anything else. I now sit down when I eat, have a salad first, and consider what I really want and what I've already eaten that day to try and balance out my meals. I no longer avoid food events i.e. going out to eat, state fairs, etc. because I know how to taste food without eating it all and I love it.

Congrats. to you for finding what works for you. It really is a matter of trial and error and knowing yourself.

I read the following summary on another board that I just loved:

"You have to choose to have the belief that eating healthy (and not eating too much) almost all the time is not deprivation or a chore, and that eating does not equal entertainment."

It's truly quite perfect.

I can see where you're coming from. But, as a southern girl who LOVES to cook and bake, I don't think I ever could think of food as just a substance. I think that something so vital to our existence as eating is should be something that is enjoyed. I'm trying to take the "your body is a temple" approach and feed it only good, healthy options. And I recently gave up meat (except for fish) because I felt that eating low on the food chain was best for me too. But being mindful of what I eat doesn't mean I don't still love chocolate and pasta and homemade focaccia bread. I just try to eat it in "moderation." And if moderation isn't in the books that day, I try to do better the next day. It's a struggle. But I have gotten so tired of counting calories and fiber and protein grams. I recently read Jackie Warner's This is Why You're Fat book, and she stresses the importance of eating cleanly five days a week and then indulging on two meals on the weekend. I think everyone needs to occasionally indulge. Not so much because we have this need to pig out, but because we have a need to just let go.

But everyone is different. And if you're routine works and makes you happy, then you should stick with it! :)

I read the following summary on another board that I just loved:

"You have to choose to have the belief that eating healthy (and not eating too much) almost all the time is not deprivation or a chore, and that eating does not equal entertainment."

It's truly quite perfect.

I Love that quote! Thanks for posting it.

Heh...I just opened this thread after coating homemade truffles. :D

Laura, I know how hard you work and am so glad you've achieved results!

i usually tried to eat healthy, lots of produce and whole grain, but out of control amounts.
in the last about 6 mo. since reducing my portions from basically no limits, to learning sensible portions (1 bowl not 3) that fuel the body, drastically smaller than ever in adulthood...i've noticed i'm much more picky. sometimes its a food i do really like, others not so much, but i dont want just anything. i experiment with adding flavor like basil pesto in various dishes. i often make a separate meal-a quick version from my family. being picky about what i eat, not in an obsessive way just same old isnt good enough, helps prevent the amnesia that sometimes happens, along with the enjoyment of the food.

I don't believe that eating healthy can't taste good! If I had to eat to live and not be happy with my food, I wouldn't keep it up. I have to enjoy what I'm eating! Of course, that doesn't mean processed, high sugar, tons of starches and carbs, just making good, healthy foods taste fantastic! I live with tons of herbs and spices and spice blends - all natural of course!

I have been on a splurgefest for about a month and am just getting my butt back in gear!

I'm glad this is working for you Laura! Best of luck keeping it going for the long term! If you're successful, you should write a book, or at the very least, you should probably blog about it!

Hi Laura,

I completely understand where you're coming from. I have not been able to make real progress until 3 months ago when I quit eating sugar. For me, sugar is candy, cookies, homemade treats. I found when I quit eating those items, regular food tasted much better. When I'm filling myself up with treats I would also find myself wanting pizza and all sorts of other "bad" food as a steady diet. Plain food didn't cut it. I would have to add extra cheese, dip stuff in ranch dressing to enjoy it.

After about a month, I felt sugar was no longer ruling my diet. I am now able to have a treat occasionally. I enjoy it, and move on. But only VERY occasionaly. I also have pizza once a week.

Good luck to us!

Kim

Totally agree

I only keep foods in the house that don't trigger my taste buds and stick with foods that just keep me full and energetic. So that means naturally flavored seltzer instead of diet soda or almond butter instead of peanut butter. I like what I eat, but I have to choose foods that don't make me want to go back for seconds.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.