Slim Series?

lyannef

Hello all, I need this "educated crowds" opinion. I'm thinking of purchasing the Slim Series videos. I have all of Cathe's videos, am an advanced exerciser. I'm not much of a Firm fan. Basically what I'm looking for are fun, intense videos (like Cathe's). Do you recommend these workouts? Thanks in advance, Lyanne

I recommend them

I've been doing mostly Cathe for a long time, and these are very different, in a good way. They are intense, high rep/low weight workouts, with a little bit of cardio and a lot of floorwork thrown in. I didn't find all of them intense the first time I did them, but I've upped or added weights now that I'm used to the workouts. Now they are very intense and SO MUCH FUN! It is good to throw new things in once in a while. Debbie Siebers is a hoot, and very motivating.

I do short Cathe cardios and plankwork about 3 times a week to supplement. I don't know if I'm losing inches necessarily, but I am enjoying the new workouts. I also think the high rep/low weight lower body work might be better for me than the heavy stuff, so I might not do S&H or PS Legs as often as I used to. As soon as the BodyBlast DVDs arrive, I plan to go back to Cathe for a while.

PennyLaney

Hi there,
If you are looking for intense cardio, then look elsewhere. However, if you are looking for some intense at times cardio and weight work, the Slim Series is for you. If you don't like the Firm - I doubt you will like these either. . .unless you liked Volume 1 & 2. In my opinion, the Slim Series is very much like these 2 Firm workouts. . . perhaps even more intense.

I enjoy Cathe's tapes very much and found these workouts to be a great rotation to shake things up a bit. I've had great results - lost about 12 inches (1 pant size) when I did the six week rotation.

I love the Slim Series and still do them often along with the Cathe workouts.

HTH!

Can you give me an example of how you rotate in the Slim Series with Cathe? Do you do both cardio and weights when you do Cathe? Right now I mainly alternate Cathe cardio and weights. Once a week, I take a Pilates class. I just don't know how I'd fit anything else in. It's so frustrating.

Sure,
this week's rotation:

M - Shape It Up
T - Circuit Max
W - sand volleyball
Th - Tear It Up
F - Interval Max (1 or 2)
Sat - rest
Sun - Bootcamp

This is a new rotation for me. When I was doing just the slim series for 6 weeks, I followed the slim series suggested workout rotation, using all six workouts 1 time per week.

I have to chime in here...

I bought the Slim Series after reading the RAVE reviews from different sites and I simply cannot tell you how incredibly disappointed I was when I finally got to try them. In fact, they are already on their way back to Beach Body for a refund.

I think that the workouts would indeed produce great results...no doubting that fact. However, with that said I simply couldn't imagine chosing to do one of the Slim tapes over a Cathe tape. Debbie, while I'm sure a lovely gal, just doesn't have the "juice" in my opinion. It's as if she sat down and wrote out a bunch of different exercises and smushed them together. The transitions are non-existant and the cueing is far from stellar. There is zero flow to the routines and the fun factor that people are talking about just wasn't there for me.

For example...there was a section of lunges that she was doing in "Tone it Up" and just when you really need that motivation to push through it, she stops working out to go check on other people's form. Um, hello? When she comes back, she finishes the set on the wrong leg. Very frustrating. Not to mention that the music is horrid. Downright HORRID! Yes, there is the option to turn it off, but c'mon...don't you deserve a great soundtrack and a routine that actually GOES with the music.

I'm not usually a negative person and I usually keep my opinion to myself, but I just could not let this post slip by without giving another view. I'm really quite stunned that this series has gotten the amount of kudos that it has.

Putting the Slim Series next to ANY Cathe workout is like comparing a cold hot dog to filet mignon done to perfection.

RE: I have to chime in here...

I have to agree with Letswork - I could not STAND the Slim Series. The reps are endless, but my muscles did not feel fatigued like a good Cathe workout. I thought the videos were extremely boring - I tried 2 out of the 6 workouts and could not finish them. I absolutely love Cathe, but will usually tolerate other videos at least enough to finish them!:p

I think the Slim Series is good for variety, its not that bad. But it doesn't compare to Cathe's toughness or flow of exercises. Some Pros and Cons:

Pros:
- SS is easy to do, simple exercises that are effective
- Intense enough to get your heartrate up
- Good production

Cons:
-- SS is repetitive. She has the same thing on all 6 DVDS. The warm up is the same on all of them and the workouts are pretty much the same.

-- Debbie stops constantly to correct the background exercisers which is useless to the person doing the tape.

-- The music is bad and she doesn't go on the beat.

Me personally, I think I will keep them just to alternative with my Firms and Cathes. They're not that bad.

I agree Melissa. While I don't think SS has the fun factor of Cathe's workouts, they're not that bad and I personally like Shape It Up and Firm It Up the best.

I agree that it is annoying that Debbie stops to check the form of the background exercisers, but I think the exercises themselves are good and I have to say that after the first week of doing SS almost exclusively, my butt and inner thighs were SORE AS H#@@.!!! I don't do SS exclusively now and probably never will again, but I think they offer good variety, particularly if you're looking for a tough high rep/low weight workout.

Oh, yeah - the music does stink, so if music is important to you, that could be a turn-off.

>Oh, yeah - the music does stink, so if music is important to
>you, that could be a turn-off.

I've found the workouts much more enjoyable by doing them to my own music (thanks to the "music off" option on the DVD's). Since Debbie isn't always on beat anyway, and the moves are simple, I just follow the beat of my music and do what they are doing for as long as they are doing it.

I had heard a lot of hype about these workouts before I bought them, and NO bad comments. I was rather disappointed when I got them, but after I'd used them for a week, and seen slimming in the waist area, and new ab definition, I decided they were a worthwile addition to my collection. I DID feel the need for heavier upper body work, though, doing the 2-week SS rotation, so I threw in a session of PUB. SS is much better at toning the abs and legs than it is at working the upper body (especially back and chest, as Debbie uses exercises for these areas that actually target the shoulders more).

I"ve found that sometimes when I'm not in the mood for a workout, I can start a SS workout and get a good intensity without feeling like it's as intense as it is. (Does that make sense? It kind of creeps up on you, so the cumulative effect is intense, even though the individual moves and segments may not be--that's better.)
;-)

Hello,

I felt compelled to chime in as well. I simply did NOT LIKE the Slim Series at all!!!! In fact, they are already safe and sound back at Beach Body!

They cannot compare to Cathe at all. They are not as fun and no way near as intense. The music is very bland and I felt at times she was off the beat. I know you are supposed to have "light" days thrown in with heavier intense days but I felt like it was a waste of an hour and that I needed to add in more workouts, both cardio and weights to have a decent day. The light weights I felt were not going to do anything for me, especially considering the Cardio was non-existent in all of the workouts!

I just recently ordered CTX series and I found these to be lighter than some of Cathe's other tapes. So now I do these on some light days and have fun and still feel like I am getting a good workout.

Just another opinion to help you form yours.

:)

I like em.

I have really enjoyed having the slim series. I like that you can play your own music. I like that they are so different and work your muscle in a very different way. I especially love the floor work. You get that Firm Volume 1 type of leg work. They are nothing like Cathe (she's the very best). But they are a nice change.

My results after only 1 week!!

I've only been doing SS for 1 week and so far I've lost 1/2 inch from each thigh, 1/2 inch from the hips and 1/2 inch from the waist. I'm eating the same amounts, but no junk food. I feel tighter immediately after finishing the workouts too. I really like them and I LOVE how they work the waist too.

I'll be doing this until I get my new Cathe's and then I'll still throw them in a regular basis. I really like them!

Oh...and editing to say....I like the music! :7

Bottom line...they work!! They are effective!! If you want to lose inches, and fast this is it. I find there is a big fun factor to these as well. The time really just flies by!

I like Cathe workouts a lot, but I also need variety because I don't want to get burned out.

To me they ARE as intense as Cathe but in a different way. I find I can ease through Cathe's weight work but now after changing to this type of working out, I am completely wiped out. My legs feel so weak when I'm finished with SS! I can ease through Cathe's Leaner Legs (with a 40lb. barbell), but I'm pooped after SS "Firm it Up". I think because I've gotten used to Cathe, trying something different working the muscles differently is the reason.

I still need my weekly dose of Cathe's IMAX2 though. I can't live without this one. I'll be doing this one once a week instead of doing the SS stretch workout "Cool It Off". This is what I did this first week and I'll keep doing it this way for a while. ;)

RE: My results after only 1 week!!

Well after reading all the comments I WILL PASS ...
thank goodness I just preordered 3 DVD's from cathes new Body Blast

I was just wondering if there is any other videos u all think comparable to Cathe's???
:p

RE: My results after only 1 week!!

>
>I was just wondering if there is any other videos u all think
>comparable to Cathe's???
>:p

I pre-ordered Cathe's Body Blast too. Variety is always nice.

Gin Miller's Intense Moves is comparable to Cathe. It's a great Interval workout.

Kristen Kagen's Step This Way and Step This Way 2 are like Cathe's Rhythmic Step and IMAX 2 combined.

RE: SS

I just have to add my comments in. I've been a Firm and Cathe user for 10 yrs now. I would consider myself an advanced exerciser. I use the same weight Cathe does for all her tapes 95% of the time. I just got done doing something called the "Thigh Blaster" rotation for 4 wks. It was basically working out 7 days a week, doing Firm Standing Legs and Cathe Leaner Legs 2-3x week, 2-3 Firm Classics/wk, plus an hour of Cardio (IMAX, Rhythmic Step, Firm Super Cardio, etc) and floor work about 4 x/week. I also added in a lot of Lotte Berk and pilates, too.
When this rotation was done, I needed a well deserved "break". My SS had just arrived, so I started doing it about 2 wks ago. I happen to LOVE this series and am recommending it everyone I know! It isn't Cathe's Intense series, but it's a good, solid workout. My body was adapting to Cathe's workout to the point where a 50# barbell wasn't challenging enough for me anymore. And I wasnt' noticing any changes (I was at a serious plateau, hence why I tried the Thigh blaster rotation). The Thigh Blaster rotation just plain wore me out (7 days, 1 1/2 hrs!). I got results with it, but it's not a rotation to do often. The SS even mentions (like most of us already know), your workouts need to be varied and a rest period is advised.
The SS is challenging, let me tell you! Using 5 and 8 lbs you wouldn't think so, too! I'm used to using heavy weights and these light weights made my arms and legs burn! I really do not mind the music. Then again, I don't think I've EVER really cared about the music to begin with!! Debbie has a great personality. Yeah, she stops to correct her background people--so what? I think it's great that she is showing "us" the correct form. Yes, most of the tapes are similar. Like Cathe's aren't to some extent? She repeats a lot of moves with all her tapes, but that's her trademark style and I think people like familiar moves! Also, that's part of the "slim series" - the idea of the workout is that it IS similar! It's not supposed to be different with each tape.
I really recommend these tapes. If you don't like them, I guarentee you over at the Firm Ya Ya site you will be able to sell them no problem. They're a hot item over there!

DiMase, how long did it take you to receive them from the time you ordered the SS?

Thanks.

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon

runathon- I ordered them July 26 and got them while I was on vacation, which was Aug 14. At the time, they were upgrading their system and said it could take 6 wks to arrive. Luckily that wasn't the case.
My friend just ordered it (I told you I was recommending it to everyone :p !) thru the Firm Ya Ya site under "Wise Buys" and only paid something like $48 for all 6, including shipping. She said that they told her about 1 week or 2 for arrival.
You won't be sorry getting them!!

Thanks for your quick reply!

As a matter of fact, I ordered them this morning. I really like the idea of having a "lighter" rotation-type workout series to intermix with my other workouts.

Right now I am running 40 minutes and doing CTX UB every other day, 3 times a week and am doing great! I will be doing either Step Works or Imax 2 tomorrow and resting Sunday and then starting the same routine next week. That will keep me occupied until I get the SS.

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon

I agree with DiMase, I was REALLY skeptical about these workouts, and I THOUGHT after doing the first one (Shape It Up) that it was a waste of time, until I tried to get out of the bed the next morning and had MONSTER DOMS! They lasted for 2 days! Who knew you could do that much damage with 5# and 8#db? My lats and shoulders literally felt like they would ignite if I stood too close to an open flame!
They'll take some time for me to figure out what weights to use for what, cause I could have gone heavier for the bicep work for sure, but overall, I think they make a nice addition to any Cathe collection and would be great to rotate any Cathe workouts with. They're different, but in their own rights, a decent workout. And if you're a fan of floorwork you'd like them. My lower body has been in some odd pain/soreness all week, I think because Debbie hits the muscles differently than I am use to with Cathe. Her floorwork is killer to me, of course I am a floorwork wimp, but I like that there is an alternative to weighted leg work with this series.
So replace Cathe? NEVER in a million years! But worthwhile owning, I think so! Just my .02! :)

Donna
Fitness~ It's a journey, not a race!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.