Slim Series?

RE: SS

Thanks DiMase for your post!! This is exactly how I feel...I was using a 40-45 lb barbell with Cathe and Leaner Legs didn't seem challenging anymore. I must have adapted also.

I'm seeing fast results with Slim Series and find it VERY intense and really burns. Especially the lower body in Firm It Up. I was wondering why this seemed so hard for me, and doing squats with 40 - 45 lbs seemed so easy.

Also, who cares about the little quirks with the music and how she stops to correct the background exercisers. If the workout brings results, isn't that the most important thing?

I'm getting addicted to these workouts. I will be throwing them into my routines permanently from now on. I LOVE THEM!

I am also a Cathe and Firm fanatic and add pilates and yoga to the mix. I also joined the SS band wagon and I absolutely hated the series. Yes, they are probably effective and get the job done, but can we say BOOOOORING!!!!! I just can't stand how uninspiring they are. I can't seem to tell one dvd from another without looking at the title. The music is the worst and the little clock in the corner drove me up the wall!!! I couldn't get rid of them fast enough.

Runathon,
Just curious, do you normally add in lower body weights and are just leaving it out at this time for the running/CTX upper rotation?
I have recently returned to running (it's been hard getting back into it) but I am starting to remember now why I fell in love with it. My lower body however, cannot handle weights when I'm running regularly. Is this why you are leaving it out also or is your factor a time crunch situation. Just curious.

Obviously I wouldn't want to leave out lower body training for very long but I was thinking about trying your rotation for 2 months or so.

Thanks,
Lisa

Hi Lisa!

I am leaving out lower body weights because it would be too much on my lower body at this time. I am running at 4.7, increasing to 5.0, at times and inclining at 2%. As I increase the incline, I feel it in my legs a lot! It actually feels like I am doing lower body work with weights! On Sat or Sun, I add in Interval training or circuit training, depending on how I feel. I think I am doing great with this type of rotation because I am not burning myself out, but am working out to the best of my ability.

I really feel great with my running since I am not doing it for speed or mileage, but for time. ;-)

I hope this answers your question. If not, let me know! :D

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon

RE: My results after only 1 week!!

Hi Dani,

Did you use all 6 tapes or what rotation was you doing to see these results?

Thanks,
Michelle

They are the female version of the Beach body videos that Tony Horton leads. I sent my Tony Horton's back in a week! They were soooooo boring! No music at all on the tapes. And to put my 2cents in, they kept sending me vitamins and charging me for them and I never ordered anything!! It was like pulling teeth to get a customer service pereson to answer my call as well! x(

RE: I have to chime in here...

I also have to put in my 2 cents!! I love Cathe and have been doing her workouts pretty much exclusively for the past 3 years or so.... but I decided to order the Slim Series (great prices!!).

I have to say I am really enjoying them -- and feel like you wrote, Kathryn, when I don't really feel like doing an intense workout - I am wiling to do a SS workout. Then, it does creep up on you and you have really gotten a good workout!!

These workouts are good for me when I feel I'm not up for a tough Cathe DVD. My waist / abs have gotten more toned from this series also.

Like so many of you, I think I will stick with SS until Body Blast arrives!!

Linda

;)

>Hi Dani,
>
>Did you use all 6 tapes or what rotation was you doing to see
>these results?
>
>Thanks,
>Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I'm sorry it took me a while to answer this. I use all of the workouts except for the stretch tape. On that day I do Cathe's IMAX2. I like this rotation a lot.

dani21496, I was wondering how you have progressed with the SS.

I got them on Friday, did then Saturday and Sunday, I was DYING!!!!!!! My legs were on FIRE so I had to take Monday off and today I did Mix it UP....feeling ok with my dose of 800 mg of ibuprofen! :)

How are your measurements? How do you feel? Are you stronger???? Do your pants fit loose??? VERY curious!

Please share!

Thanks!

Blessings from our home to yours...Runathon http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/lach.gif[/img]

Yay for you. Those are great results.

I like your post a lot.

I don't really feel the need to say whether Cathe's stuff is better than Slim Series, or vice versa. They are very differing workouts.

I personally take to Debbie Siebers as I do to Cathe, and love having both in my collection. I am getting rid of all the firms that I have because I never enjoyed them (except for bootcamp 3 & 1 mix, total body shaping mix and tough tape).

I agree that there are some annoying aspects to the slim series, but they don't annoy me: I think if they do - hey, great... don't keep them... but diversity in opinion is what makes people interesting.

I did the slim rotation (all 6 tapes per week) for 3 weeks while laid off, and lost about 4 pounds. I was a size smaller and saw some great leg definition that i'd never seen before. But then, I got a job and immersed myself into learning the software (i'm a software engineer), and have never been able to find the time to do this particular rotatoin again (2 kids, etc..)

Bottom line: I love the slim series, and would love to alternate slim series with cathe cardio for a few weeks, and then switch to a cathe / y oga month, to a slim series / pilates month, to a kickboxing yoga month to a slim series month (you get the drift)... or even, do a different combination of workouts/styles on a weekly basis (a -la the muscle & fitness 8 wk rotation that is floating around out there).

The cons about the slim series can annoy people, and I can readily see why many people have returned their stuff. I just happen to be one of those who really loved this series.

Leela

I don't get bored with the slim series as I do with power 90 (which alternates strength training and cardio training days, which is different from the slim series, which has you doing cardio/strength every day).

BUT - beachbody.com has some nasty customer service issues/responses/practices.

I've had minor problems with them, but others have had some downright horrendous problems that never were resolved to their satisfaction.

Most important advice: Order with a credit card to get thatl ayer of protection, and make it VERY CLEAR if doing a phone order that you do NOT want supplements. Ask for the person's name, so you can follow up if you end up getting supplements (I never did).

Also - when ordering on their website - once you enter in your credit card and submit that form page, you are placing the order. Most reputable ecommerce sites let you know explicity that hitting a certain button places your order. They do not, and since they keep on continuing to try to tack stuff on to your order after you enter in your CC, you are lulled into thinking that your order is still not placed. Worse, you can't find out about your order for 24 hours. As a former ecommerce software developer, this perplexes me. There is no need for this - even back in the dark ages (5 years ago) when I started working in that arena, the technology existed to have an order in the system and available to the customer for viewing after about 5 minutes.

I sent them a long (of course!) email about the flaws I encountered when placing orders on their site and dealing with their customer service folks, and maybe they trashcanned it - but hopefully they will get their act in gear.

Cathe's organization sets the standard for this industry, and I wish/hope that the others out there who aren't quite up to par will at least work on bettering their operations/service organizations. If they don't, survival of the fittest will probably make them go away.

Hi Runathon! My thighs, hips and waist are down by 1 inch and I've lost 6 lbs. My pants are definitely looser and I am feeling stronger. I looked at my legs in the reflection of the glass on my stereo and I couldn't believe the change.

There was a time period in there I didn't work out for a while because of a death in the family, but my results are still good.

Also, I've been using other options for music, just to change things up a bit. I do like the music, but wanted to try the "Option Off" and see how I'd like it. I've been using the Cher "Believe" CD for music and it works perfect. After the Cher CD, My Jennifer Lopez "On the 6" CD starts up. It works nicely with the workouts. These are my older CD's and I just grabbed them and put them in the stereo because I was in a hurry, and I was pleasantly surprised.

They have been rectifying their problems. If you have any problems at all E-mail this person (Amber Otto/Director of Customer Relations). She's very helpful and there was a post on VF with a letter from Amber for anyone who wants to check their status or has any problems to e-mail her personally.

Here is her address:

[email protected]

Posts from VF:

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=36019&highlight=Amber+Otto

http://205.214.68.83/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=35555&highlight=Amber+Otto

>
>Also, I've been using other options for music, just to change
>things up a bit. I do like the music, but wanted to try the
>"Option Off" and see how I'd like it. I've been using the
>Cher "Believe" CD for music and it works perfect. After the
>Cher CD, My Jennifer Lopez "On the 6" CD starts up. It works
>nicely with the workouts. These are my older CD's and I just
>grabbed them and put them in the stereo because I was in a
>hurry, and I was pleasantly surprised.

I love doing this series with my own music. Because the moves are so basic, I just follow the music and not Debbie and crew, and keep doing whatever they are doing until they do something else. I love using the "Powerstrike" soundtrack to work out to. It's got a really driving beat that makes me push a bit more.

>
>I love doing this series with my own music. Because the moves
>are so basic, I just follow the music and not Debbie and crew,
>and keep doing whatever they are doing until they do something
>else. I love using the "Powerstrike" soundtrack to work out
>to. It's got a really driving beat that makes me push a bit
>more.
>

Kathryn,

I got the idea to use different music from you! I read one of your posts and I'd thought I'd try it and really liked it.

Thank you.
:)

Isn't it fun to use your own music? I like being able to change all the time. It certainly helps lessen some of the repetitiveness of the Slim Series.

>Isn't it fun to use your own music? I like being able to
>change all the time. It certainly helps lessen some of the
>repetitiveness of the Slim Series.

Yes! With your own music, it seems like a whole new workout. :)

I a huge Cathe fan, and resisted ordering the SS for a long time -- just wasn't interested. But a friend nudged me to try them and I finally caved and ordered them. I thought I'd the music because I'm really picky about music, but once I started, I didn't mind it at all, and after a few weeks, I even enjoyed the simple rhythms and tunes. I love Debbie's personality and really love her variety of basic exercises. They work your body (especially the lower body) in different ways from Cathe. Debbie does lunge and squat sequences too, but also uses a lot of floor work and standing leg lifts and kicks. I think they're a great compliment and a fun option to do when you don't feel like using a lot of equipment.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.