Slide and Glide - hard on knees

spyrosmom

Cathlete
I'll admit to having creaky cracky knees, but I've gotten to the point where most of the time they don't bother me. They've rehabbed nicely, but Slide and Glide hurts and aches for days!! I've done it twice, and the same thing.

Running, Intensity, IMAXes, and heavy leg weight work don't hurt like S&G, and it's a bad hurt.

The burpees on the disc hurt bad on the way in, with the knees bent so far. Burpees in general hurt my knees, but not like this. The spring up from a regular burpees helps get the tension out rather than the slow up from the discs. And the jacks - OUCH!!!!! It seems to be that the awkward position of keeping the ball of my foot on the disc and the heel off the floor, puts a lot of pressure on my knees, that a regular jack doesn't do.

I just finished this workout, and I want to tear my knees off. :(:mad::( I think next time, I'll change it back to a regular floor workout without the disc, and it will be better.

I was looking forward to this one the most, but nope. Am I crazy, or does this one bother anyone else?

On the upside, I like the rest of the series, love CycleMax, and even like the yoga, which I normally don't like.

Nan

So sorry about your knees! :(

You're not the only one who has trouble with SG, and the jumping jacks on the discs. I read one reviewer from Collage and the other from Amazon that warns about the knees and wrists getting tweaked from the jacks and burpees. I had a little problem with the jacks from SG in my right tendon when I first started, but that was due to my incorrect form. I have no problems now. From your description, your knees are not being hammered due to incorrect form. I think this form of exercising really irritates your knees. You're on the right track by looking to modify the moves that require the discs, and even if that doesn't work out, the rest of the series is totally doable for you. Yea! :D

All the best!

-Jazine

Sorry to hear about the knee problem. I too felt it in the knees the other day, but that's because I'm doing it on carpet and the s&g's don't really slide very well on it so I find I'm putting more pressure on the glide to get it sliding. I had to give up on the jumping jax and just do normal ones. I really don't consider normal jumping jacks high impact anyway.

I've also substituted the walking/gliding plank/pushups with regular push ups. Its funny, but I find I'm using the s&g's less and less and doing the normal version of the exersize...lol.

I am so sorry to hear about your knee's :(

I love my discs, but find the burpee's put strain on my knee's too. I'm not sure why that is....

Not knee related, but sometimes my lower back gets bothered when I do the skaters motion (not sure if that's what they are called) with the hand reach down to the ankle. I try not to reach far down, but it still aggravates my back sometimes.

Just because the discs are supposed to be "joint friendly", that might not be the case for every individual (sad I know. You want to love everything Cathe puts out). You know your body and it's limitations the best.

Good luck & take care,

Natasha

Hi Nan! I'm so sorry to hear that your knees are bothering you while doing S&G workout. Every persons has a their own physical reasons for not being able to participate in a certain type of workout and for this reason it's not unusual at all for you to discover that a workout that just doesn't fit the bill for you. Don't let it bother you. There are so many other workouts for you to enjoy. I personally know for myself that a few years back I had a plica band (thick fibrous band of tissue) that was pulling my knee off its tracking with certain motions that moved laterally (but jumping didn't effect it at all) and while I had that condition there was no way I could do certain motions no matter how much I modified. Just bringing this up to help you understand that sometimes, for whatever reason(s), certain motions, exercises or overall workout formats just don't feel like a good fit for our bodies.

It does sound like it was the first time that you did this workout so something to consider (in case you may just want to give it one more try, but certainly ONLY if you want to) is that you may possibly have been putting unwanted stress on your knees in your attempt to find your groove in this new gliding motion. It is possible that you could have been placing too much of your body weight down on the discs to push them along. Also, if you are on a carpeted surface some have mentioned that furniture polish (ie Pledge) on their disc before use has performed wonders in creating a slicker surface so that you don't feel the need to press down so hard. Again, this is all just food for thought in case you experienced any of this.

In the end, stick with your gut and do what you feel is the best fit for your body. I'm so happy that I offer a wide variety of fitness workouts to give you options to find the best fit for you.

Have a nice weekend :)

I'll admit to having creaky cracky knees, but I've gotten to the point where most of the time they don't bother me. They've rehabbed nicely, but Slide and Glide hurts and aches for days!! I've done it twice, and the same thing.

Running, Intensity, IMAXes, and heavy leg weight work don't hurt like S&G, and it's a bad hurt.

The burpees on the disc hurt bad on the way in, with the knees bent so far. Burpees in general hurt my knees, but not like this. The spring up from a regular burpees helps get the tension out rather than the slow up from the discs. And the jacks - OUCH!!!!! It seems to be that the awkward position of keeping the ball of my foot on the disc and the heel off the floor, puts a lot of pressure on my knees, that a regular jack doesn't do.

I just finished this workout, and I want to tear my knees off. :(:mad::( I think next time, I'll change it back to a regular floor workout without the disc, and it will be better.

I was looking forward to this one the most, but nope. Am I crazy, or does this one bother anyone else?

On the upside, I like the rest of the series, love CycleMax, and even like the yoga, which I normally don't like.

Nan

Thanks for the reply, Cathe!

It was the second time I did it, the 1st time I had the same thing, and figured "one more try." I am on carpet, so I may try the furniture polish trick and see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll just change it back to a "regular" workout.

I don't have an issue w/ the other LIS workouts and the discs. I figure if there's only 1 I don't get along with I'm not doing too bad :p, just wanted to know I wasn't the only one.

Digging the rest of the series, though. I did Upper Body Trisets today, and during the alternating biceps, you say "8 more" and I was "whaddya mean 8 more??!?!?"

Nan

Hi Nan! I'm so sorry to hear that your knees are bothering you while doing S&G workout. Every persons has a their own physical reasons for not being able to participate in a certain type of workout and for this reason it's not unusual at all for you to discover that a workout that just doesn't fit the bill for you. Don't let it bother you. There are so many other workouts for you to enjoy. I personally know for myself that a few years back I had a plica band (thick fibrous band of tissue) that was pulling my knee off its tracking with certain motions that moved laterally (but jumping didn't effect it at all) and while I had that condition there was no way I could do certain motions no matter how much I modified. Just bringing this up to help you understand that sometimes, for whatever reason(s), certain motions, exercises or overall workout formats just don't feel like a good fit for our bodies.

It does sound like it was the first time that you did this workout so something to consider (in case you may just want to give it one more try, but certainly ONLY if you want to) is that you may possibly have been putting unwanted stress on your knees in your attempt to find your groove in this new gliding motion. It is possible that you could have been placing too much of your body weight down on the discs to push them along. Also, if you are on a carpeted surface some have mentioned that furniture polish (ie Pledge) on their disc before use has performed wonders in creating a slicker surface so that you don't feel the need to press down so hard. Again, this is all just food for thought in case you experienced any of this.

In the end, stick with your gut and do what you feel is the best fit for your body. I'm so happy that I offer a wide variety of fitness workouts to give you options to find the best fit for you.

Have a nice weekend :)

Hi there! I just wanted to let you know you aren't alone with knee issues and some of the disc moves. I had trouble with SG too. I love and have no other problem with the other workouts though! When the disc jacks come up in Afterburn and CardioSupersets I just modify by doing the jacks on my rebounder (I have trouble with regular jumping jacks too). Like Cathe said, everybody has different limitations and it's likely not every single move is going to work for every single person. It's important to listen to what your body is saying. Luckily with the rest of the LIS series I do just fine. Deep lunges and squats don't bother me. In fact the dixie cup lunges are my favorite moves in the LIS series...love the DOMS I get from those! :eek:

Also, if you are on a carpeted surface some have mentioned that furniture polish (ie Pledge) on their disc before use has performed wonders in creating a slicker surface so that you don't feel the need to press down so hard. Again, this is all just food for thought in case you experienced any of this.

Thanks Cathe! I will try the furniture polish...never thought of that. I live in a condo and have no choice but to do it on carpet. I even have berber carpet and had slight issues with it, but I workout on an area rug that has very low pile.

Again, thanks for the tip!!!

Laura

I love Slide & Glide, but I have yet to use the discs, and that's simply because I'm lazy and I don't like dancy stuff to begin with. The only part I do use them is in the stretch, which is really unique.

With that said, yesterday I did Athletic Training and once again I'm blown away at how much I love these workouts in LIS, its really easy to sub out sliding if you don't want to use the discs in any of the workouts.

Ahhh, furniture polish....thank you! :D

I've only done Afterburn and Slide and Glide once, but I'm crazy about these workouts-the discs really force me to say focused and centred.

I use Pledge on my discs and it indeed works awesome! :) At first I tried Turtle Wax but it was messy and didn't work nearly as well as the furniture polish. I still have to reapply it every so often (maybe after 3-4 uses) but it makes the discs nice and slippery. Like I said upthread I do have trouble with the discs bothering my knees during some moves (eg. disc jacks) but I do fine when I use them for mountain climbers, burpees, and those dragging plank with push up during AfterBurn (tough tough move!!).

If it helps anybody, I have found the key to not having knee pain with this workout. I keep my weight back on my heels almost completely when using them as a brake, rather than 50/50 on the ball and heel of the foot. As soon as you go into the jack sliding outward, come down on your heel as much as you can to stop the movement with a slight forward lean. Do the same with the lunges-keep the stationary foot weight back on the heel and lean slightly forward. Before I was only weighting enough on the heel to be the "brake", which was about 50% of weight on the heel and 50% on the disc. I was also standing straight up. The forward lean Cathe has explained really helps unweight the knee and move the stress into the glute/hamstring. I was able to do the workout with no knee pain yesterday as compared with constant twinges of pain the first 2 times I did it. Also the forward lean makes you flex your leg a bit more which adds to the muscle work and calorie burn.
Beth

I polished, now I'm sliding!!! Lost the discs during a set of burpees. They went flying out behind me! :p:p;):p:):eek::eek: Whoops!!!!

No hurts this time around, and I found the fun everyone was talking about.

It's off the yick list.

Yay!

Nan

LOL. Just came to the Cathe boards and this was the first thing I saw:

Slide and Glide - hard on

Ohmigolly! I wondered if this forum had taken a turn for the worse. SO glad it's about knees.

L Sass said:
LOL. Just came to the Cathe boards and this was the first thing I saw:

Slide and Glide - hard on

Ohmigolly! I wondered if this forum had taken a turn for the worse. SO glad it's about knees.

Wow, I thought I was the only one whose mind went there when seeing the title of the thread. Funny!

patellar tendon straps

I too have a problem with the workout, or any that involve alot of squats. But if I use one the patellar tendon straps you can buy it REALLY helps.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.