Reasonable Expectations, Realistic Results

I guess Momto4 is right...

Perhaps I shouldn't be posting here. It's far too body-focused on what those can and can't do and how awesome they are for being afraid to have some fat on them. I don't roll that way anymore.

With that, I'm outta here. Life is far too short to get caught up in things like this. It just would be nice to find some outlet where EVERY shape and size can partake without being accused of giving up, being defeated, or sad. Being larger in life is far different than losing the pregnancy weight as an example some gave. It's a Fat-hating world we live in and it doesn't matter one's accomplishments nor what they've come to learn with time; it's about what's on the outside that counts. It's about eating a certain way to avoid having shameful girth and potential health risks that ALL sizes suffer from. People can make their assumptions but until you live a day in the life of....

Ciao.

Please don't feel like you have to leave based on the comments of one person. I enjoy reading all the different opinions that occur on these forums.

If it was me, I'm sorry, and you shouldn't take off because of different opinions either. I feel the same way what jacmar wrote above and totally was agreeing with Rapidbreath's post. Rapidbreath own's it, and I love people like her, I have a spot for her on my team if she lived in Minny, she'd be invaluable. I also love what Cafelattee wrote about her body size. Its *attitude* .

I'm not about saying there is only one particular size or shape, and really people need to accept that...but if you are unhappy there is usually a way to tweak it. Thing is, every one is so different there are a million ways to reach your goal.

For what its worth, I think it would be dull if everyone thought the same, and looked the same. Its up to the individual to decide and I'm the first one in the house that slams fashion mags, television or celebrities (dang I hate that word celebrity). I've pounded this into my daughter's psyche starting at a very early age and nearly duct-taped my husband's mouth shut when he said she was getting fat at the tender age of 9.

I'm not really sure if women are set on being a certain shape because of other women, or really because they want to please men. I KNOW they should only be pleasing themselves. The trick is not making other people feel guilty or uncomfortable during the process. This is hard to write, because I don't want anyone pointing fingers at me saying I don't understand. I've had my issues, bodies evolve with time, just saying.

Consider this...athletic women usually have a body fat percentage between 14 to 18 percent, fit women slightly higher, and then you have the *average* range of 25 to 30 percent, and fitness models are off the charts at below 14%, now that's a pretty big swing for women. Men have it way easier considering their hormones aren't as involved for particular purposes. I can also fly up to 24% easy in the winter if I'm not riding, and I like those curves, I do know if I fit into skinny jeans I'm NOT happy because it means I'm losing too much muscle.

Anyway, I'm drifting here....the bottom line for me is the most sexiest thing on a woman is confidence. (Haha...although that doesn't compute when I walk in 5 inch heels.)

I thought forums were a place where different opinions and values come together and are discussed. That's what is happening here. We are all entitled to eat well and exercise (or not) for whatever reasons appeal to us. When you read other people's thoughts, it gives you a view into how other people think and why. Someone posting an opinion that differs from yours isn't the same as making a judgement about your opinion.

And there is nothing wrong with people having a vision of what they think is beautiful. Just because I look at bodies like Cathe's, Jillian Michaels, etc, and think they are beautiful, doesn't automatically mean I look at everyone else who falls short of their level of fitness (and discipline!) and judge them as sad, ugly and lacking. Beauty comes in all shapes and sizes--no one said it didn't. But I do think a musclular physique is beautiful and it is what I strive for. But (as I mentioned in other posts) I am not willing to go to the lengths necessary, diet-wise, to possibly achieve the "ideal." And that's ok, too.

BTW--"healthy" is beautiful and if anyone has ever read The Obesity Myth you'd know learn that carrying around some extra weight is actually a good thing. However, even the author of this book stresses that exercise is always a good and necessary thing. And that's why we are all here on this forum, right? Because we love to exercise!

Like minds! great post! I loves Cathe body and once upon a time had that body. I just don't have the want and displine it takes for the look. She has written about Paleo diet and stuff. I'm just not that concern about super low body fat. I had that view in my younger days. I don't begrude those ladies that want that body just like I don't with the ladies that carry some fat. Be happy in your own skin.

If it was me, I'm sorry, and you shouldn't take off because of different opinions either. I feel the same way what jacmar wrote above and totally was agreeing with Rapidbreath's post. Rapidbreath own's it, and I love people like her, I have a spot for her on my team if she lived in Minny, she'd be invaluable. I also love what Cafelattee wrote about her body size. Its *attitude* .

I'm not about saying there is only one particular size or shape, and really people need to accept that...but if you are unhappy there is usually a way to tweak it. Thing is, every one is so different there are a million ways to reach your goal.

For what its worth, I think it would be dull if everyone thought the same, and looked the same. Its up to the individual to decide and I'm the first one in the house that slams fashion mags, television or celebrities (dang I hate that word celebrity). I've pounded this into my daughter's psyche starting at a very early age and nearly duct-taped my husband's mouth shut when he said she was getting fat at the tender age of 9.

I'm not really sure if women are set on being a certain shape because of other women, or really because they want to please men. I KNOW they should only be pleasing themselves. The trick is not making other people feel guilty or uncomfortable during the process. This is hard to write, because I don't want anyone pointing fingers at me saying I don't understand. I've had my issues, bodies evolve with time, just saying.

Consider this...athletic women usually have a body fat percentage between 14 to 18 percent, fit women slightly higher, and then you have the *average* range of 25 to 30 percent, and fitness models are off the charts at below 14%, now that's a pretty big swing for women. Men have it way easier considering their hormones aren't as involved for particular purposes. I can also fly up to 24% easy in the winter if I'm not riding, and I like those curves, I do know if I fit into skinny jeans I'm NOT happy because it means I'm losing too much muscle.

Anyway, I'm drifting here....the bottom line for me is the most sexiest thing on a woman is confidence. (Haha...although that doesn't compute when I walk in 5 inch heels.)

Another great post! I started looking at all the womens fitness magazines and they all air brush the models. Its ridiculous. I picked up a All You health magazine in walmart its new. The lady illustrating a walking routine did not appear to be airbrushed cause *gasp* her thigh were absolutely touching just like most of us women. I wish all the mags would get with reality. Cathe's business is fitnes and she looks great but the type of displine is not for every women

Working out at 54

Hi,
I am 54 years old and started using Cathe's DVD's about 8 months ago and have gained both strength and definition. Please ladies, don't think you can't get in great shape at age 40, yes you can! :)
The number one thing I have noticed since weight training and cutting out all processed food is I can eat more (protein) and not gain additional fat.

My knees can no longer handle high impact exercise so I bike ride (25+ miles) on the weekends and enjoy Cathe's low impact workouts. I workout harder now at home than I ever did at the gym.

Don't get discouraged just take baby steps and you will see results, it just takes months.

Personally, I love conversations like this one. Everyone's opinion is valuable and interesting in its own right. I mean that's why we are all here posting isn't it? If everybody thought exactly the same way, what would there be to say?

It's very true that it is sometimes hard to construe what someone means, or figure out their tone, or their attitude through the written word. A lot of misconceptions can be formed because of that.

Mrsprincess, I see that you've been here a few years. I think it's important for you to realize that because someone has a different opinion, it doesn't in any way negate yours. That's all part of the give and take.... expressing what we think and sharing our views. I think it would be a shame for you to leave because you disagree with someone, or because someone disagrees with you. You'll miss a lot of good information and camaraderie if you go.

One other thing that I've noticed is that for many of us it seems that we want "our" body type, or "our" way of seeing things to be the right way. There is no right way. We are all individuals and we can be many things and a combination of many things. I am slender and of a weight that most charts consider too low. That doesn't mean I am not fit and healthy. It works the same way for someone who is larger than I am. They can also be fit and healthy. Snap judgments are made about size at both ends of the scale.

I'm just trying to make a point.... we all need to realize that fit, healthy, skinny, heavy..... it can all be good and it can come in different combinations.

I agree, Mrsprincess should not go.

She posts very informative comments, I agreed with lots of things she said in this thread (just because no-one on these forums adheres to a mind set of thinking that eating clean is morally superior does not mean that this mind set is not out there: it is, all through Oxygen mag, etc), and as others have said here, we NEED people's different opinions.

Threads where everyone agrees with everyone else are dull, dull, dull. Life is not about having one's opinions confirmed all the time, although that is certainly nice when it happens! We grow and learn through having our opinions challenged and through challenging our own through processes.

Mrsprincess and I have disagreed on a thread before: it didn't make me leave, it didn't make her leave, and on this occasion, this should not be the circumstance prompting her to abandon us either.

Mrsprincess: it's OK to feel bruised and hurt and go off and lick wounds. It has happened to me in the past. But please come back because you have much to teach, and to learn and because you still share our passion: fitness!

BTW: congratulations on the birth of your child.

Clare

Wow. Just wow. This thread has gone beyond what I thought it would! The discussion has been fascinating.

My original thought when I first posted was me just pondering how much doing what I used to do would bring me results or would I be disappointed (especially given my bodies changing as I get older).

For example, in the past I used to write down everything I ate, loosely following the old Weight Watchers points system. Combined with six workouts/week I was able to lose 20 pounds. (Of course, not having learned my lessons RE: eating, all the weight eventually came back.)

If I were to follow this 'method' again now that I'm 45, would I still lose weight like I did before? How likely is it? I'm guessing not very.

Thanks everyone for sharing and posting your stories!

Wow. Just wow. This thread has gone beyond what I thought it would! The discussion has been fascinating.

My original thought when I first posted was me just pondering how much doing what I used to do would bring me results or would I be disappointed (especially given my bodies changing as I get older).

For example, in the past I used to write down everything I ate, loosely following the old Weight Watchers points system. Combined with six workouts/week I was able to lose 20 pounds. (Of course, not having learned my lessons RE: eating, all the weight eventually came back.)

If I were to follow this 'method' again now that I'm 45, would I still lose weight like I did before? How likely is it? I'm guessing not very.

I guess the only way to find out if you would get similar results is to give it a try for a while and see if it works. I know that for me, logging my food is helpful. There are definitely times when I'll look at my list of food for the day and realize I cannot have any more food for the day. If I was not logging it, I would blissfully skip to the kitchen to get a glass of wine or a couple of crackers. I use My Fitness Pal so I'm counting calories and not points. It definitely keeps me on track.

Eva

I'm 50 years old, and I can tell you what worked in my 20's & 30's doesn't work for me today. My body is less forgiving of processed food (what I call empty calories).The older I get, the more it is about the quality of food vs calorie counting. I'm not saying you shouldn't count calories, but what I notice is that when I eat whole foods that include veggies in every meal (including breakfast), my calories fall where they need to be. When I eat processed food, I walk around feeling tired, hungry, with uncontrollable cravings..
When I carefully choose my carbs, keep my protein grams high, eat unlimited amounts of green veggies , with healthy fat, my body fat drops and my energy levels go up.

I think if WW doesn't work for you, then look for another plan that your body will respond to.

I lost 10# in 4 months on WW in the fall of 2011 after trying many other methods to lose it and repeatedly failing. It was the first time I ever tried WW and I was 39 yrs old at the time. I'm now almost 41 and back on it because I got careless with my food intake and gained a few pounds back. It's working again. The pounds are coming off. I have to say that I love the program. It doesn't work for everyone and something you did before may not work again (I know b/c I've tried with other methods!) but if you were successful once, why not try it again? I say it's worth a shot and you can certainly apply any style of eating you'd like while on the plan to make it work for you!

Fit Mommy, isn't the new WW different from the old points system?
I remember my SIL following the old points system 20 years ago and she spent all her points of processed junk always running out of points early in the day. Needless to say, the diet didn't work for her long term.

Fit Mommy, isn't the new WW different from the old points system?
I remember my SIL following the old points system 20 years ago and she spent all her points of processed junk always running out of points early in the day. Needless to say, the diet didn't work for her long term.

Apparently when WW was first created it was based soley on calories. The more calories a food had, the more points it was. Now points assigned to each food depend on fat/carb/protein/fiber ratios of the food. As RapidBreath said with green beans, most veggies are zero points and fruits are too as long as you eat them by themselves so you can definitely eat more if you eat healthier on this program. Most fast food will tip the scales and run you out of points quickly..and for good reason. You can eat whatever you want but have to be mindful of how many points it's worth which is why making healthier choices is smarter. There is another way to use WW other then the points system. It's called the Simply Filling Plan. For that one you can only eat what WW deems as "power foods". There is no tracking. You are supposed to be able to eat as much as you want as long as you stick to the list. I've never tried that. I need the structure that the points system provides in order to not over eat. I admit it.

She was thin to start ( and looks fabulous at 75!!)...I just turned 51 and I know to loose weight (I could stand to loose 5 lbs. around my middle) I need to change the way I eat, and that would be a lifestyle change, which is very hard for me...and others I am sure. I always likw to say that I workout so I can eat ice cream! :)

That was very inspiring, gettingfitmom! Heaven knows I'd never run 10 miles anywhere unless I was getting chased.

Plus 1 hour and 45 minutes in the gym everyday? Whew! So would that be about 3+ hours everyday spent on staying fit?

I did notice how beautiful her skin was though.

Thank you for sharing so many stories.

My weight has been somewhat of a lifetime journey. I gained 50 pounds as a teenager after the death of my mom. I kept that weight on for 20 some years. I thought I would never really get into a healthy weight. Just didn't believe I could do it. I've had three wonderful daughters, gained weight with them (worth all of it) and finally around 40 yrs. old, I followed a healthy eating plan, and exercised. I lost the weight and 13 years later, I've been able to maintain it. Love Cathe's workouts and I do follow the WW plan. Really love Cathe's workouts!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.