Question for those who already have Pyramid Upper and Lower

Mindi

Cathlete
Would you recommend getting a 2nd barbell? Would this make it easier to move from exercise to exercise w/out having to stop and change weight frequently?

If so, I think I'll get one and have it ready...Thanks!

I have a second barbell, but one thing I like to do is strap ankle weights on and off the barbell for an easy 5-10lb switch.
Erica

I have a very cheap crappy old barbell that always stays at 35 pounds, and a nice long quality one that I set up at the beginning of the workout with whatever makes sense. I also use the ankle weight technique on both barbells. The crappy one easily becomes 37, 38, or 40 pounds, but I never move the weight plates on it. I think I would hate only having one barbell.

My barbell set came with the slow screw on caps. I bought a pair of magnetic sliplocks to hold the weights in place and they're much faster, so that is also another option that you can look into and they're really cheap. I got mine off of ebay for $4 but I'm sure an sporting goods store would sell them. Or you can buy a pair of spring clips like Cathe uses with her barbell. I found them at http://www.fitness1st.com/
for only $2.50 a pair. Hope this helps

-Jilliana

I'm not that speedy with the changes but I found that there was just enough time for each change, I even finished before Cathe several times. I never had to pause once to "catch up."

Donna

Fitness~It's a journey, not a race!

I have the same concern about having time to change weights. I have a barbell with the screw-on ends and don't have room for another barbell. I was considering alternating dumbells with a barbell so I didn't have as many weight changes to make. Do you know if that is a good or bad idea? I've also read that sometimes when you use a barbell, your stronger side sometimes ends up doing the majority of the work so it's good to use dumbells sometimes. Anybody know about this?

Thanks,
Melissa

That's them!!!!!!!!

Those are the exact sliplocks that I bought off of ebay. From that same guy too. You guys and gals definitely want to jump on those they make changing weights soooo easy and fast.

-Jilliana

RE: That's them!!!!!!!!

I have two barbells and absolutely love it! The second one wasnt very pricey at all, and as far as space goes, it's not an issue, it's only a 5 ft. metal bar, when it's unloaded it sits nicely along the wall out of sight. I have your standard metal plates with a clip that fits both bars.

Stacy

Hi Jilliana,
I checked out that web site and ordered a ball. Thanks for posting that. I am loving my new Cathe tapes! I have already done upper & lower pyramid Muscle Endurance & boot camp & cardio & weights. Boot Camp was the hardest so far some moves I can't really do yet. Enjoy your new tapes.

Susan:p

Wow, this has been REALLY helpful! Thanks much you guys..I may check into a 2nd barbell simply because the one I have now is an old hand-me-down from my BF and you need a WRENCH to change the weights!

Who has time for that??? LOL

Can you use the Bollinger sliplocks on a barbell with threaded ends (that use screw-on caps)? I was going to get plain old spring clips but the guy at Sports Authority said they're not meant for my kind of barbell. Also, being an ebay novice, how much is shipping and handling for those, and how does the procedure go with payment, etc., and when are they actually mailed to you? Don't want to get ripped off...

Mkunkel,
I'm not sure what you mean by threaded ends for your barbell. But, so long as your barbell is the 1" bar then the sliplocks will work. My barbell came with a collar that you slide on the bar and then there's a little screw thingy that you turn and tighten to make it stay in place and to keep the weight from falling off the ends. If that's the kind of collar you have then the sliplocks should work.

I paid $4 plus $4 s/h for the sliplocks and it was from that same person that has the auction posted, so you definitely should not get ripped off. Hope that helped

-Jilliana

I went ahead and invested in the Platemates - a pair of 1.25 pound hex ones and a pair of the 2.5 pound donuts. They were expensive, but I 've used them alot, and during the Pyramid Lower Body, I was glad I had the donuts to increase my weights 5 lbs by just slipping them on the ends of the barbells. It saved a little time.

If you go to Google, and type in "Platemates," I'm sure you'll get all the hits you need to find them.

Susan G.

Jilliana, I love that fitness site!!! I ordered the collars and I'm trying to restrain myself from order a whole new barbell set and other stuff I really don't need.

Thanks for sharing! :)

[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON Jan-08-03 AT 07:28PM (Est)[/font][p]No, you can't use sliplocks with barbells with threaded ends. I have three barbells, one 6ft with threaded ends, two that are four-and-a-half to five feet long with smooth ends. I use sliplocks with one of the smooth-ended barbells, and butterfly clips with the other one. The butterfly clips take a little more hand strength to get on and off, but they seem to hold the plates a little tighter with less movement of the plates during lifting.

An unloaded five-foot smooth-ended barbell is pretty darn cheap, considering the use you can get out of it. Oh, I also prefer the butterfly clips b/c they make less noise swapping plates than the sliplocks. Important when the baby is sleeping on the couch and you're trying to sneak in a workout!

HTH.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.