Progress, not Perfection - 2012 - Month #1

Good morning !!!

I'm late... lol

Had a "strange" experience yesterday. I went to the gym at about 3:30 and did 15 minutes on treadmill at slower speeds.. increasing gradually to get to 3.7 MPH by the 15 minute mark... it's what I always do....

then started my 30 minutes at 1% incline at 3.7 MPH. I was going along fine and then at about 15 minutes in... all of a sudden my legs turned to jello and I got very lightheaded. I held on tight to the treadmill and kept going for another minute or two, thinking that it would go away.. but it didn't. Scared the sh*t out of me.... Have never had that happen before...

So I slowed the treadmill down to 2.0 MPH to get my heart rate down and came home. I figured my blood sugar was low, so I ate some protein and fat and carbs..... a little bit of everything.... and it was a bit better, but my legs were still like jello and the lightheadedness was still there.

Needless to say, I never did get to the bonus segment of Low Impact Step Challenge that was on our agenda.

This morning, I made my coffee as usual... and after drinking half of it, I got lightheaded again.... my legs are still screaming from Turbo Barre on Monday....

So.. went and ate a big breakfast.... I mean big.... 3 eggs fried in butter, 6 pieces of bacon and a whole orange.....

so... I'll wait and see how that works out...

Yesterday, I did have wheat for the first time in 3 weeks, but I don't think that's the cause.

I think that I tried to do too much on Turbo Barre Monday and my body is in revolt..... I need to remember that I'm 66, not 36.... and just do what I can do without killing myself. Challenge myself, but be prudent... sigh

FnV - it's probably too late for your word list..... my mind is blank anyway.. but if I think of any... I'll come back and post them !!! Sounds like a fun assignment !!!

Progress, not Perfection !!!

Drink water !!!

MORNING :)

No exercise for me lastnight, due to the fact that I was a little sore. :(

Ladies are you familiar with Hybrid exercise? I was thinking about doing a Hybrid of Weight Training and Cardio. I would probably need to do my Cardio in the AM something like 15 - 30 minutes and Weight Training in the evening.

I have good intentions regarding my workout, but after a long day of work and trying to answer all the question my son has regarding life, I am exhausted.

Any thoughts?

Deanna

Gosh, yesterday turned out to be a toughie.

Deanna, I totally think you would have good results with what you posted. How long would you spend on wts? A few longer sessions or more frequent sessions of body parts chunked up? Would the cardio be moderate, intense?

Susan, I am worried about you! I was thinking that the Susan Rotation was a lot harder in some/many places than the beginner one you had recently completed. Anyway, I don't want you to end up taking steps backward in an effort to make a herculean jump forward!

How are you feeling now? I wonder if it is/was the combo of eating relatively few carbs with the long period of exercise? I can't think of Primal's science, but he's talked about it being a negative cycle of doing extensive long work and therefore needing carbs, which ultimately was less healthy. So in other words, you were eating Primal but trying to exercise like an endurance competitor? IDK, its all murky.

Mid-day Check-In.

My co-worker decided she wanted to walk this morning so, we walked almost 1 mile. I carried 4lb weights in each hand and did arm curls and stuff.

Fnv - My Cardio would be on the Intense side because I would be doing Insanity or Walking/Jogging.

I'm here !!! Sorry.. didn't mean to worry you.

Deanna - I think the hybrid approach sounds good... a little in the morning and a little in the evening. Makes sense to me. Would you do one body part per day in the weight part? Is this a "formal" program? I'll be very interested to see what schedule you decide on and how it works.

I'm doing okay. Yesterday really scared me. So I decided to take the day off and re-evaluate.. I'm still feeling kind of yucky.

Here's what I've decided:

1) I was getting carried away and eating too much saturated fat. Bacon and eggs for breakfast every day with full fat 1/2 n 1/2 in my coffee was too big a turn around... even though I was loving it... lol

Primal says lots of saturated fat is okay. Paleo says to limit the saturated fat... so I'm going to go more towards Paleo on the saturated fat equation.

So.. I'm back to my FF 1/2 n 1/2, FF Greek yogurt, my Land o Lakes butter made with olive oil and I'll only have bacon and eggs every other day and will cook the eggs in olive oil or scramble them plain with no fat and only have 2 slices of bacon.

Paleo doesn't like dairy, but Primal does. So on the dairy, I'm doing Primal.

2) I think I need more carbs if I'm going to work out 6 days a week. And I want to work out... I really enjoy it. So.. I'm going to stick with what I'm eating, I'm just going to up the good carbs... like sweet potatoes, peas, turnips (i.e more starchy veggies) along with the non-starchy veggies and some more white rice. Still no wheat or sugar

3) The most important parts of the Susan Rotation from Cathe... IMHO.. are the 3 days of weight workouts. So I'm going to focus on those ... and for now... just for now.... keep the 3 cardio days at a moderate (3.0 - 3.3 MPH) walk on the treadmill. The LIS workouts are just too advanced for me at this point. They are Low Impact, but they are not easy.....

Turbo Barre killed me on Monday and then to try to do the faster treadmill walk the next day was too much... coupled with the real low carbs. I have always done the 3.7 MPH treadmill walk, but not after doing a long and strenuous Turbo Barre the day before.

4) I think I was dehydrated. Yes.. Deanna... I definitely need more water... lol I'm on my 2nd 20 ounce bottle and will have one more before the day is through !!!

soooo...

less saturated fat
more starchy veggies (but still no grains or sugar, except some white rice)
concentrate on the weight workouts for now.... gentle walks the other days
more water.

so that's the plan :D

I'm really disappointed that I couldn't/can't do the workout the way Cathe wrote it... but I'll have to work up to it gradually !!!

Onward and upward we go.....

I'm still feeling kind of yucky today.... maybe I'm coming down with something..... time will tell.

Hopefully, tomorrow I can do Pyramid Upper Body and get back on track with treadmill Friday and Muscle Max on Saturday. That's my plan !!!

FnV - what did you end up with on your word list for speech class??????

Progress, not Perfection !!!!!

Last edited:
OK, I'll bbl with more. I have Chem tutor tonight...

Susan, everything I read on Primal is highly supportive of moderate paced cardio 3 to 5 hours a week, which sounds a lot like your treadmill workouts and would work out perfectly with what you just said. I was wondering if you could do a hybrid of the beginner and the susan and everywhere in the beginer you had a more fun looking newer workout you could sub, or vice versa, every place in the susan rotation where there was cardio, sub something you liked to do from the beginner.

But, what you already said sounds very healthful and doable for you. I just had to say the above in order to remove it from my head, ha ha.

running late for first night at chem, bbl, glad you are OK. and hopefully you aren't getting sick.

Have fun at Chemistry. I always loved chemistry.... biology, not so much.. lol

Going to plop in front of the TV and catch up on some of my DVR'ed shows.... I have quite a backlog.....

It's raining heavily, it's dark, it's cold... it's a good evening to cuddle under the quilt with my 2 cats plopped in my lap... lol

See ya'll for coffee...

Hope to do Pyramid Upper Body tomorrow !!!

Hello everyone!

Deanna...I've never heard of a Hybrid workout, is it basically just doing your workouts in separate segments during the day? If so, I say, if that's the only way to get things done, it's good!!

FnV...were you able to do PUB today?? I remember loving the math with chemistry but not the actual labs in college, blah! I took many science courses in my day.

Susan...scary experience for sure! I'd say it's most likely too much too soon with possible too low on the carbs??? I've had that happen before, actually was a bit light-headed during my treadmill walk yesterday as well and I've had that happen before after only a few days of going lower carb which is why I still have to have some carbs in my diet, usually oatmeal is all I really need to get by. However I do still eat waay too many carbs, but I'm more aware and trying to do better. I skipped a homemade cookie somebody made and brought to work, but then had a WW chocolate raspberry ice cream bar for dessert after dinner. I figure the 2 WW points and 80 calories were better than the cookie, but of course no dessert wouldve been even better. But, alas, it's Progress Not Perfection and I'm striving to do better each day!

I've got abs on tap in the morning with either the recumbent bike OR kickboxing, really depends on how sore my chest/upper body is from PUB. I matched Cathe's weights for chest, back and shoulders, used heavier weights than her for tricep kickbacks (she started with 3 lbs, I started with 5's) and went lower than her for biceps (she started with 10's I started with 8's) I can match her weight for biceps when I do only the "Up" Premix but my arms are too fatigued at the end when I do the full pyramid.

Anyhoo...off to read a little. I'm still reading The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo, 'bout 125-150 pages into it so far. So far I like it. Have you finished it FnV??

Looking forward to that Friday Rest Day!! Seriously I wouldve slacked off and most likely not have worked out Monday, today and wouldve probably slept in and skipped working out before work tomorrow if it werent for Susan's Rotation and the workout buddies!! It's keeping me accountable and I love it!!

I work very late tomorrow so probably wont be checking in til 8 or 9, "see" you then!

Last edited:
ahh, glad to catch up.

Deanna, that was nice that you and buddy got a walk in. My work activity is carrying 15 plus pound backpack up and down stairs about 6 times a day and scooting across campus. I am glad I am not cooped up in an office all day. What sorts of life questions did your son have for you?

It has been a really nice start to the semester. My speech teacher is an adorable, vivacious woman with a hint of a charming Jamaican accent; she wears berets! I only put about 8 words down on my list, for some reason I couldn't think of very much, but otoh, I am trying not to make this class into some sort of big ass hairy deal, ya know?

The math class and chem class I do "tutoring" in have started off well. I can't believe how much better I feel this semester w/ more sleep and fewer areas in which to spread myself too thin.

Susan, cuddle fest on the couch sounds heavenly. I have LOTR2 ready to go when the girls and I get a free night and we love when TBS has a Big Bang marathon.

Stacy and all, I confess I didn't complete PUB. I should have done it in the afternoon layover. So today will be my rest day instead of Friday, which is a really good day for me to get a workout completed anyway. I am just doing SI for the classroom portion of Chem. I'm w/ you, ick to labs. I picked an arrogant, bossy, braniac control freak partner for my lab, so I coasted when I took lab. I just let him boss me around and make all the decisions. Stacy, PUB has Abs, yes?

Stacy, I never ever go heavier than Cathe on tri or bi. Prob the only one I go heavier on is back, esp dead lifts. When I get in better shape, I will be almost able to match her on most stuff. I am still reading Girl w/ drag. Tat, but got to the point where he is looking at family history and keep zoning out b/c I am tired. I've re read the same pages a few times.

OK, this is prob getting too long to read...have a good night!

Last edited:
Wt holding steady despite diet not very clean last couple of days...

Yesterdays plants were scarce= banana, most of one head of broccoli, mixed nuts and merlot for dinner after chem.

Today I will do PUB, upper premix to make up for yesterday and core from some dvd. Then I was thinking a short step like 4ds LIS or HIS to stick to the rotation but still keep my total workout time to a manageable level. But maybe I'll do a run this eve while dd at TKD. Either way, I'll be back on track.

Susan, how are you feeling today?

Deanna, are you getting a three day weekend?

Stacy do you usually have Fri off? I know that is your rest/pizza day, : D

have a good one ~

Good morning, workout is done! I did abs + a shorter premix from KPC since I dont have much time in the mornings.

FnV...PUB does have abs, I think you had asked me that. The ab work in the 4DS workouts are all good in my opinion. I also realized I forgot to post that soup recipe, I'll do it later tonight. And, no, I work every Friday :(

Susan...take it easy today!

Deanna...hope you can get another walk in today!

Gotta go...bbl!

Good morning my friends !!!

It's a lovely day... the sun is shining... I feel back to my normal self again... life is good !!!!

Maybe I had some kind of 24-hour bug.... anyway... shall take it easy with workouts for the next few days and increase gradually while sticking to the overall plan ...

I'm thinking of going to the gym and doing a nice 30 - 40 minute gentle walk on the treadmill... then come home and do parts of PUB. I didn't realize that there were 2 premixes.... Up Only and Down Only.. until Stacy mentioned it yesterday. How cool is that? :p I'll do one of the premixes instead of the whole thing.... hmmmmm... Up Only??? or Down Only???? lol... hmmmm... I shall ponder that question while on the treadmill....

Anyway... if I do a little treadmill and the PUB premix... I'll be kinda/sorta back on schedule !!!

Deanna - how fantastic that you can get back to walking outside during the day !!!

FnV - I'm a little worried about getting on the scale this morning :rolleyes: In an effort to cure myself of whatever was wrong, I ate a lot more food yesterday and Tues afternoon than I should have.... it was all healthy food.... a nice balance of protein, fat and good carbs.. but still... too much food for the scale to be happy.... sigh...

Stacy - what's your schedule looking like today? You are doing fantastic keeping to the rotation !!! You go girl !!

Deanna - have you come up with your Hybrid schedule????

Make it a great day my friends...

Progress, not Perfection !!!

Good morning Stacy !!!

We were typing at the same time...

great job on your workout !!!

You are really kicking butt this week !!!

Morning Ladies :) One more day and it is Friday and a 3 day weekend

I am at work early today, which I normally do on Thursday because the old bitter woman which is my relief comes in on Thursday. She has keys to my office and I want to get in first.

Guess what happen at work yesterday? A so call manager called me in her office to tell me that someone told her that me and another woman was talking big sH&T about her! This is where my frustation comes in at, these people do not have anything better to do with their time other than to try and make other people miserable. You can emagine what I told her so I am not going to go into detail.

Fnv, You are right I wish I did not have to be cooped up in an office with these bitter HEIFERS!!!!!!!!

Hey Stacy :) As far as walking with my co-worker it all depends on her. She is a beautiful older woman and sometimes she is not up to it.

Hey Susan, like I said yesterday I have good intension when it comes to my work out, its just putting it in motion. :)

I will check back later
Deanna

Fnv, the question my son has are things that his friends tell him. He TOLD me that he was filing his own taxes this year and that he was going to claim himself, so that he can get $1200 back! I tried to explain to him about tax credits and dependents. I think he feels that I am taking something away from him that he doesn't have! I explain to him as long as he continue to live with me, I will continue to claim him on my taxes. I also told him when he gets married and becomes the head of his household then he would be able to get more money back during tax time.

Deanna What sorts of life questions did your son have for you?

Deanna - sounds like the heifers are stirring up you-know-what again.... geeze. At least you have that one nice co-worker that you walk with!!! So they aren't all bad :)

Midday report - Grandma is kickin' butt :p

Stayed home and did:
Basic Step on 4" step
Pyramid Upper Body - the "Up premix" using 2, 3 and 4 lb weights
Abs - I did mostly standard crunches.. but some of what the crew was doing
My own stretching routine.

I know the 2, 3, and 4 lb weights is wimpy, but I wanted to be careful. It felt great !!

Food so far today:

B - coffee with FF 1/2 n 1/2
1 cup FF yogurt
1/2 cup fresh blueberries
1 small banana
7 plain whole almonds

L - 4 ounces leftover London Broil sliced and heated with 1 tsp olive oil butter
1 very small sweet potato w/ 1 tsp olive oil butter

Salad made with:
1/2 cucumber
1/2 cup diced tomato
1/4 cup diced avocado

1 TB Kraft Zesty Italian salad dressing

Decaf coffee with FF 1/2 n 1/2

My daily goal is now:

1600 calories
88 grams total fat
Max of 35 grams saturated fat
at least 80 grams of protein
max of 120 grams of carbs

Right now, I'm at 963 calories
42.8 grams of total fat
9.2 grams of saturated fat
68.6 grams of protein
101 grams of carbs

If one only eats protein, veggies, healthy oils and 1 or 2 fruits, you really can eat a ton of food without racking up the calories.

I'm loving this way of eating.... but happier with my carbs a little higher.

The big thing is 4 - 6 ounces of protein at 3 meals per day. I'm convinced that's the key.

and... the fat keeps one full and not eager to snack all the time.
and... enough carbs to give you sufficient energy..

We CAN do this... we ARE doing this !!!

Progress, not Perfection...

Last edited:
Deanna, I hope your son was able to understand your point of view. I bet the walk felt good- it sounds like you are in a toxic work situation. Ick.

Susan, way to go on your workouts and food today! I am glad you are feeling better.

If or when you or anyone want to check out primal fitness, Mark has a channel on youtube and he shows progressions of his body weight/move heavy things exercises (wall push ups --> full push ups, assisted pull ups--->reg pull ups). I am too addicted to Cathe for now, but I might do a primal fitness rotation. Maybe after I complete the Susan Rotation.

I completed PUB-Up wow, it was nice to be done w/o heading back down pyramid. Then I did pushups, dips, planks and core from TB. Stacy liked it (core) -so I wanted to give it a try when I wasn't so wrung out. I wanted to do that over the ball/core from PUB. Was good. I'm tired of DVDs for the day, so if cardio happens it will be a walk during TKD.

Stacy, if it is convenient, I would like the recipe if you really enjoyed it. I don't want it to make you regret telling us how great it turned out tho! YKWIM?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.