PREGNANT!!! :) .............dilemma......

naughtoj

Cathlete
Yep, I am PREGNANT!! Whooops!!! :eek:

That said, hubby and I are shocked but elated (just found out today). I need advice though.

Many of you may remember I just graduated nursing school. I landed my first RN position, nights. Remember, I hated the prospect of nights but was willing to try it. Well, I have done general orientation for that job, but only 4 8 hour days so far. Have yet to get onto the floor and start the 'real' training. That is next week. MAYBE.

So...here is the dilemma. I kept my POOL position at the other hospital (pool means I can work as many hours as I want, as little as I want, whenever I want, etc-I make my schedule but no benefits). This is not a nursing position but familiar to me since I have been doing it almost 2 years while in school. I kept this job for now "just in case" the RN position didn't work out and I needed a source of income. I also have benefits under my husbands work. My new job will not offer me FMLA until after 1 yr, so I won't have that if I begin working. This will also be my first pregnancy so I don't know if I will end up needing sick time or what, of which I have none at this new job. I also still need to pass RN boards and working nights and being PG, both for the first time, all at the same time, concerns me.

I am now wondering if I should just tell my manager of my new job about my PG and leave the RN position for now. If I do this, I can focus on passing boards and getting my RN license, work at my already familiar job to pay my bills (I don't HAVE to work full time right now)and be able to make my own schedule. If I get sick, I can just change my schedule accordingly. I also will be able to take time off to have the baby. I also will be under a lot less stress, every nurse knows how stressful graduating nursing school and that first year on the job is. I was already stressed, I don't know if I could do it pregnant...and sleep deprived!? I hope the manager would not think less of me if I was straight up with her and I figure the sooner I leave the better, that way I haven't started general orientation yet. I don't want to take advantage. Downside is that I may forget some of what I learned in school and won't be able to transition right away. But I will still have the license and I will still be employable after I have the baby.

What do you all think?:D

Hi Janice!

First off, CONGRATS on the surprise baby news!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)

As for the job, I am not sure what you should do just yet.....

Wishing you the best of luck always!

:)

"Life is short - Be the best you can be every day of your life"

Congrats!!! I would go for the 2nd choice, esp if you don't really NEED to work full time. The manager would prob appreciate your honesty and you might be re-hireable in the future. Prob better for your health as well, with all the stress. Just my 2 cents

Nan

Janice,

Congratulations of your great news! You are expecting! And I know your head must be spinning with lots of questions, as the ones you are asking. My opinion is opt out of your RN position and concentrate on studying and doing your boards to get your RN license.

This is a time to sit back and think of what your priorities are - I know this will be a big adjustment for you - but I have total confidence in you and know that you will make the right decisions.

You have been through so much this last year - and you have grown lots and learned lots - so this too will be a great learning experience for you. You will make a great mother!

Keep us posted on how you feel and on your pregnancy! Tell your husband congratulations from the Cathe Forum, too.

Cheryl

Congrats!! I would definitely stay at the new nursing position and take your boards. I personally think you will be sorry later if you dont. You have come this far get it done and be proud. I am sure you will be fine being pregnant and working full time. All that school is done be proud and keep on it!! That is my opinion.

Good Luck

Lisa

I am in the minority here, but I think you should stay with the new RN position. You could always work part time,or the day shift,later when things get more stressful with the pregnancy.Congrats and good luck in whatever you decide.
Suzette

Hello, Janice, congratulations,

As an RN for many years now, I think getting some experience working as an RN would be invaluable for future positions. The longer you wait to begin putting your knowledge into practice, the more challenging your transition to working as as RN will be.

Though you may have some morning sickness and will most likely need extra sleep during the 1st and 3rd trimesters, it will be easier for you to adjust to your new role as an RN now than after you have a baby. Your sleep deprivation is likely to be a bigger problem then. Now, without children, you will be able to sleep more easily during the day than after baby is born.

Best of luck which ever direction you decide on!
Lea

Janice,

Best wishes on your pregnancy. Our 2 (twins) are graduating HS tomorrow, I would not have traded parenthood in for anything.

On the career front. If your geographical region is anything like ours an RN is high demand. Be honest with either employer, get the boards done, when you're ready to go to work after the blessed event you'll be holding all the cards

God bless!!

Since your pregnancy was unplanned, I'm sure you are in shock and have MANY scenarios running through your head. Hormones do crazy things to us when we are pregnant. Vivid dreams, morning sickness, ever expanding waist lines...

First of all, congratulations.

Second of all, pregnancy seems like it lasts FOREVER. What seems like the best decision now, may not seem that way later.

Whatever you decide, focus on passing your boards before the baby comes. Once it's here, your life will be turned upside down and it could be awhile before you get those done. JMHO. Good Luck!

Sally

Well, RN's ARE in huge demand here.

I wish I could work part time or pool in a nursing capacity now to gain experience but it seems they only want to hire new grads full time. I know this has to do with the greatest chance of success in your new role but full time jobs shouldn't be the only option.

I was so stressed going into the position non pregnant, that is the only thing that concerns me. I don't know what toxic stress levels would do to a developing fetus, again, never been pregnant, but I am sure I won't be the first stressed out PG woman that ever there was, lol.

Thing is, to be safe, I have to keep BOTH jobs (if I choose to go the RN route) just in case I do get debilitatingly sick, etc. and need to quit later. Working two jobs will be tough!! They will not let me drop to PT or POOL at the new RN job, I know that. Third option would be quit new job and look for another RN job, part time or in an office or whatever..

I get to shadow a nurse my first night on the floor, so maybe I should go the first night and see the flow of the floor at night, what the stress is going to look like, lol?? I still would have only wasted one day. I am just so conflicted! AArrrgg! My family thinks I should dump the RN job so that I can sleep like a normal person and decrease my stress..oh well...that paycheck sure sounds good though!!
Thanks for the congrats all!:p

Hello and CONGRATULATIONS!
I am also an RN and actually work with a woman who just found out she was pregnant around the time she took her boards. (This was around two years ago). She chose to stick with the RN job, and I know she was happy she did that. Also, where we work, we have to rotate day/night for a full year at least. She did fine, and actually decided to switch to straight nights (as did I!).
You have worked so hard to get where you are, and I agree with the person who said that if you don't apply your knowledge now, it will be harder to get back into it. I work in the NICU, and I can tell you that adult nursing knowledge is NOT what I know! What you don't use, you lose!
You still have a long time before your delivery, and I think you will feel pretty comfortable in your new job by the time you baby arrives. But I think it would be harder to go to a new job after your baby arrives and you haven't applied your nursing knowledge!
My thoughts are with you!
~Ann

Congratulations, Mommy! Your first one -- how exciting!

I would definitely put the RN job on hold. With the nurse shortage, you can definitely find a wonderful position when you are ready for it! Concentrate on experiencing the JOY of the birth of your first child with as little added stress as possible.

This is a wonderful time for a woman! Your first pregnancy only happens once. Savor it (or suffer through it, as the case may be -- lol!) and prepare yourself for the adventure of motherhood!

I have to vote with those who say get your RN experience. In a while you can be in more of a situation where you can write your own ticket. Please don't stress out about being able to do the job - it will all kick in when you actually do the job. All that knowledge is lodged in your brain just waiting to be used.

I don't really have any career advice either, but a big congratulations to you! I love to pray for pregnant women, so I'll add you to my list.

take good care and keep us posted--

Maggie:)

Well, it looks like the consensus is 50/50. I am guessing the 50% telling me to stay with the RN job are actual RN's, right guys? Wow, I am so torn. If the job wasn't on nights this decision wouldn't be so hard. Grrr..

I guess I am the only one who can make my decisions....!!:eek:

Congats! The best thing I can tell you is, do the RN thing. Right now as one other poster said, yeah, you'll be a little tired, and might have morning sickness. But after you have the baby you might find it very difficult to want to go back to work first off, secondly, you'll be more tired and not want to learn anything new. So, my thoughts are stay with the RN job.

Kathy

Well, I think I have made my decision. I am so nervous to talk with my manager!:eek:

I did work a night shift. I won't lie, it was brutal. I couldn't sleep the day of and ended up staying up over 24 hours straight. The floor was nice, pretty good, but not good enough to be worth staying up all night. I wasn't keen on nights to begin with, fooling myself that I would eventually like it but I think I am a "day" person through and through.

So....I am going to my manager today and telling her I am PG and that I do not want to work nights while PG. That will open it up for her to offer days or try to convince me to stay on nights. Since I will not stay on nights, if she does not offer days the decision will be simple. Hopefully, I would be eligible for rehire. From this point on then I will continue to work at my pool job, making my schedule and picking my own hours. I will have time to get ready for baby and really savor (or be miserable, lol) what could be my first and last pregnancy. I take boards July 11 so will study from now until then. Hopefully, I will go back several months after having the baby to the nursing profession. I might have to put in a year of full time as a newbie but after that I can work PRN, whatever, as I like. I am just delaying things a bit.

I know myself and I know now that I probably would have been miserable on nights. The hospital sure was quiet though and it was tempting, but still!! Even if she offers days there is a part of me that would want to resign anyway, just to take some stress off. But we will see!! Giving up the fat paycheck will sure be hard.. I will let you know how it goes!}(

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.