Pots and pans

mfv3

Cathlete
My husband and I are looking to buy a nonstick set of pots and pans. We would like to spend no more than $150.

Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance :)

I have Swiss Diamond non stick but one pan is around $100. The other pans I use are either cast iron or stainless steel. I would be hesitant to buy cheap non-stick pans that the surface peels. Sometimes you can get nice pans at household auctions.

If you season them well in the beginning and are patient (usually within 5-8 uses), cast iron is amazing! I switched to mostly cast iron (Lodge) over the last year with the exception of a few pieces from All Clad (Stainless). Both brands are made in the USA which is a big deal from a quality and safety standpoint. I cook 99% of everything in my cast iron. I have CI loave pans, biscuit pans, pizza/cookie sheets, probably 10 pans in various sizes and few dutch ovens- including a couple of enamel coated. You can get a nice sized collection of various pieces from Amazon for the price range you're looking to stay within and free shipping.

One of the pros I will say for CI over non-stick is the taste! I had a hard anodized set that we got as a wedding gift and thought it was great. That was until even that began flaking and rusting and I found that our food's taste was changing (leaking of chemicals) including a horrible smell every time that used them. It was so bad that I was getting nose bleeds. When I finally stopped being lazy and decided to invest a few extra minutes on the CI with each use, I was amazed at how much better it cooked/baked our food (even better than glass bakeware) and the taste was so much better.

I understand that non stick is easier! But for the price range you are looking to stay within, I'd be concerned about the quality as you'll they will wear out faster. If you are willing to spend more but don't want CI, look into hard anodized or enamel coated.

EDIT: I don't know where you live but if you have a Home Goods store near by, they carry Lodge and are a couple dollars cheaper than Amazon (usually). Amazon's price fluctuates so if you put it in your cart you'll find that it'll go up and down by a few dollars but it rarely goes beyond that. When we moved out of state, we no longer had access to Home Goods. Occasionally I'll make a trip when we visit family because I can find great enamel coated dutch ovens and a few odd pieces from lodge on the cheap! You can even use it on the grill!!

Last edited:
I agree -- invest in a few cast iron pans. The taste is better and health benefits are a plus.
As long as you season them well, they will be nonstick. Plus if you take care of them, they will last you literally forever! You can pass them on to your grandchildren in the years to come!
Good luck shopping :)

If you decide to go the Cast Iron route, these are the pans I use most often:

* Lodge L9OG3 Pre-Seasoned Round Griddle, 10.5-inch: This is my work horse! I make eggs of all varieties, cook potatoes, onions, pancakes, sandwiches, sear meats, etc! It's a spiffy pan!

* Lodge LCC3 Logic Pre-Seasoned Combo Cooker: The lid is great for bacon or small batches of rolled sausage, omelettes, and I bake brownies, blondies, and giant cookie cakes in it. The deep pan is great for frying, roasting a small chicken, soups, etc.

* Lodge Mfg P14P3 14" Cast Iron Pizza/Bake Pan: Great for cookies and pizza, even on the grill. I got mine for $20 something and currently it's $45. This is one of the rare ones that the price swings wildly.

* Lodge Mfg L4LP3 10-1/4x5-1/8CI Loaf Pan: I have two of these loaf pans and I use mine All. The. Time!!! I bake all of our family's bread and the difference this makes in texture and taste is huge! I switched from my trusted glass and ceramic pans to cast iron. Makes a great meat loaf too.

* Lodge Pre-Seasoned Skillet, Black 15 inch: This one is a great all around! Great for pancakes, large batched of breakfast meat, you can sear a few steaks at once, potatoes, large oven roasts, etc. I have the 17 inch one also, but I find the 15 is much more user friendly!

I bought Green Life ceramic pans for my son for Christmas, and he loves them, so I bought some for myself. I love them!
GreenLife 8" and 10" Non Stick Frying Pan Set - Walmart.com

The pros- you can cook anything without having to coat the pan. Food slides out easy!
The only con- they are not dishwasher safe, but they are super easy to clean!

I got the small one to try - and it's held up surprisingly well, excellent in fact for non-stick. I wasn't going to try any more and go back to stainless steel if this one started to flake. I was going to give it to the end of the year though before investing, unfortunately I need one of the larger sizes now.

It's good. I think we got ours at Boscov's, with stand up lid.

I got the small one to try - and it's held up surprisingly well, excellent in fact for non-stick. I wasn't going to try any more and go back to stainless steel if this one started to flake. I was going to give it to the end of the year though before investing, unfortunately I need one of the larger sizes now.

It's good. I think we got ours at Boscov's, with stand up lid.

I only bought 2, and they work great for pancakes and eggs. We'll see how it holds up. :) The good news is that were not a big investment.
I don't have good luck with pots and pans because my burner always burns the bottom. I have propane gas in my home, so I'm not sure if that has anything to do with it.:confused:

My oldest brother(passed away now), was a chef, and swore by cast iron! I am too lazy and impatient with them. I hate dishes you can't put in the dishwasher! LOL
I'm not a very good cook:eek:...I like food you can eat raw or grill. I guess the iron grates on my grill are seasoned.:D I use that all year. I grill when it's snowing out!

I have a few cast iron pans that I am afraid to use. I have heard that you can't use them on a flat top cooking surface. Is this true? I'm sick and tired of replacing my non stick pans because they always stick!

I use mine on a flat top cook surface! It hasnt hurt either surface at all. (I also use them in the oven and on the grill as well )

Thanks! I am hoping to make it another month in my jeans before having to make the switch to maternity. I have a boat load of maternity summer clothes to use. But considering it's 26 degrees today... I might have to bite the bullet and buy some pants.

Great timing with this thread. I have been researching healthy cookware options and would love to hear from those who use the cast iron.

I was leaning towards cast iron for multiple reasons including the fact it adds iron to your diet, which I could use; however, recently I read an article stating the type of iron leached from the cast iron pans is not absorbable and therefore places a burden on the liver and kidneys as they attempt to process and rid the iron from the body.

I have read quite a bit about Ceramcor; however, it is soooo incredibly expensive.

Has anyone else heard/read this about the iron issue? I swear, sometimes I feel the more I try to be informed the more confused I become as there is always someone else's view that contradicts another view :confused:

Thank you!

I have not heard that. My daughter is going through a food phase right now of just not being interested in anything. Being able to provide her with the natural iron supplement from our cookware/bakeware as allowed me to not have to give her vitamin or iron drops. All of my Drs and her Dr are completely on board with the cast iron and the iron it provides. I'm a high risk pregnancy patient so things that can cause a liver burden are things one of my Dr's keeps close tabs on. And never has anything been said to me.

Also keep in mind this is the cookware that has been used for centuries with success all around. I wouldn't worry about it. I'm more concerned about the chemicals that were leaching into my food from hard anodized and other non-stick aluminum cookware products, not to mention all the plastics. Our bodies can process iron. It has a hard time with toxic chemicals. This however, is just my personal opinion.

Thanks, mrsprincess, for your feedback. I completely agree about the chemicals. I thought I was making a healthy choice choosing stainless steel and learned nickel can be leached into the food. Ugh!

Thanks again!

I also have non-stick ceramic frying pans from Wal-Mart (brand paderno). I really like them and they are under $30. I didn't research the safety but maybe I should have. It seems that everything has safety issues these days. Maybe the raw food dieters are on to something.

I also have non-stick ceramic frying pans from Wal-Mart (brand paderno). I really like them and they are under $30. I didn't research the safety but maybe I should have. It seems that everything has safety issues these days. Maybe the raw food dieters are on to something.

I don't know..I just discovered that any food that grows out of the ground contains various metals. :eek: I learned this from a discussion about the recent report on shakeology containing lead. Honestly, I had no idea.

Here are foods that help chelate metals-
Top foods that chelate the body of heavy metals

Here are a list of vitamins and foods that contain lead.

http://www.michaelmooney.net/Lead_In_Vitamins.pdf

Great timing with this thread. I have been researching healthy cookware options and would love to hear from those who use the cast iron.

I was leaning towards cast iron for multiple reasons including the fact it adds iron to your diet, which I could use; however, recently I read an article stating the type of iron leached from the cast iron pans is not absorbable and therefore places a burden on the liver and kidneys as they attempt to process and rid the iron from the body.

I have read quite a bit about Ceramcor; however, it is soooo incredibly expensive.

Has anyone else heard/read this about the iron issue? I swear, sometimes I feel the more I try to be informed the more confused I become as there is always someone else's view that contradicts another view :confused:

Thank you!

Are they any good? I've never heard of them. I would be willing to spend the money if they're worth it.
I only need a few pots and a couple of frying pans.

I don't know..I just discovered that any food that grows out of the ground contains various metals. :eek: I learned this from a discussion about the recent report on shakeology containing lead. Honestly, I had no idea.

Here are foods that help chelate metals-
Top foods that chelate the body of heavy metals

Here are a list of vitamins and foods that contain lead.

http://www.michaelmooney.net/Lead_In_Vitamins.pdf

Well according to these two articles/lists, my family doesn't have to worry about heavy metal build up! We eat a ton of fresh produce and especially sulfur-rich foods; I will eat raw onion sandwiches in the summer! Great for me, bad for everyone else! That and according to one list if you have adequate iron levels, that helps to prevent lead absorption. All the more reason to add some cast iron cooking to your day!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.