Pots and pans

Well according to these two articles/lists, my family doesn't have to worry about heavy metal build up! We eat a ton of fresh produce and especially sulfur-rich foods; I will eat raw onion sandwiches in the summer! Great for me, bad for everyone else! That and according to one list if you have adequate iron levels, that helps to prevent lead absorption. All the more reason to add some cast iron cooking to your day!

So if we do not use iron cooking pans, will meat give us enough iron? I eat a lot of beef because I really don't care for poultry.
My sister became anemic because she doesn't eat a lot of meat. I was anemic after I gave birth to my second child, and the doctor told me to take a multi-vitamin with iron and eat red meat.
I honestly had no idea so many veggies contained lead.

LOL about the onions! My mother ate green onions with every meal...oh Lord, onion breath!

You sold me on cast iron skillet. What do I need to do to season it? :)

Okay, I see you posted pre-seasoned suggestions.
Thanks! I'll give it a try.

Last edited:
If you eat meat (especially beef) and eggs, you're fine! Cast Iron is a great supplement. I use it daily so it's a great supplement. I wouldn't worry about not getting enough, beef is a very high quality protein in many ways. I'm a beef girl myself.

Honestly, you will probably find a method of seasoning that works for you. I have read so many ways to do it and the only way I've had it work was doing my own thing. I wash the pan in hot water with a nylon scrub brush and while it's still warm (especially until you've built up a good seasoning) I use some olive oil from a spray can. Give it a light spray and rub it into the warm metal with a paper towel; a cloth towel works better but you'll never get the stains out! I put it away until next use. Then just before using it, I give it another light spray and wipe down removing all access (do this before and after use). Then just before you add your food, I add a small amount of butter, but any fat would work. Rinse in hot water, preferably while the pan is still warm. Once you have a good seasoning built up, a little butter instead of oil works best. I don't know why, but that's what I've found. I have not tried coconut oil however.

I will say that you will get some good sticking until that strong layer is built up. If you get sticking that you just can't scrub out, place a .25-.5 inches of water in the pan and simmer it for about 5-10 minutes. Take a nylon or wooden spatula and scrap the pan to remove the stuck on bits. Drain. Rinse. Scrub. dry completely. Oil. Voila!

I recently purchased a Le Creuset cast iron grill pan. The first thing I cooked in it was rib eye steaks. My husband was totally impressed. He said, "you'd never know these steaks were cooked in a frying pan." ;) I also bought an All-Clad basic cookware set made of stainless steel w/copper core. I wanted to go totally cast iron, but I have a bad shoulder and was concerned about trying to use such heavy cookware all the time. I'm very happy with the All-Clad set, but it did take some getting used to. If you cook regularly, I recommend buying the best you can afford because a good set will last you a lifetime. For health reasons, the best choices are stainless steel, cast iron, or ceramic.

I recently purchased a Le Creuset cast iron grill pan. The first thing I cooked in it was rib eye steaks. My husband was totally impressed. He said, "you'd never know these steaks were cooked in a frying pan." ;) I also bought an All-Clad basic cookware set made of stainless steel w/copper core. I wanted to go totally cast iron, but I have a bad shoulder and was concerned about trying to use such heavy cookware all the time. I'm very happy with the All-Clad set, but it did take some getting used to. If you cook regularly, I recommend buying the best you can afford because a good set will last you a lifetime. For health reasons, the best choices are stainless steel, cast iron, or ceramic.

My mom spent the week with us last week and she was trying to get my 12 inch pan out; she was impressed with the girth and heft of the pans. I'm impressed by the old cartoons depicting angry wives attacking husbands with cast iron pans; those were some strong women!!! It can be quite difficult to handle the pans bc they are so heavy; it like cooking on a dumbbell.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.