Please tell me about your dogs...

>I need cheering up and nothing can make me happier than dogs!
> I've seen little bits of information here & there in the
>postings, but I want to know what kind you have, & something
>funny about them! Please?
>
>Ruth:) :)

I'm with you, dogs cheer me up whenever I need a lift. I have an eight year old American Eskimo named Chui (is he a melting pot or what?). I named him after my favorite martial arts/actor named Kuo Chui, his englis name is Philp Kowk.

My goofy little dog is the love of my life, well next to my husband.;-) The one silly thing my dog does everyday is what I call his 'Goodie Roll'. I always give him a nice treat after he has eaten and I've taken him on his evening walk. He grabs the treat, runs to his favorite spot (no matter who he has to run down) gulps his treat then he flips over on his back and does his goodie roll, doing a sort of circular motion with his legs and rolling from side to side. This usually goes on for about five minutes. Then he gets up, gulps some water, grabs a toy ,getting as much of it into his mouth as he can so that he will have a good grip, then he will bump me on my leg and give me his 'Make my day' look..and the tug of war is on.:+

>I need cheering up and nothing can make me happier than dogs!
> I've seen little bits of information here & there in the
>postings, but I want to know what kind you have, & something
>funny about them! Please?
>
>Ruth:) :)

I'm with you, dogs cheer me up whenever I need a lift. I have an eight year old American Eskimo named Chui (is he a melting pot or what?). I named him after my favorite martial arts/actor named Kuo Chui, his englis name is Philp Kowk.

My goofy little dog is the love of my life, well next to my husband.;-) The one silly thing my dog does everyday is what I call his 'Goodie Roll'. I always give him a nice treat after he has eaten and I've taken him on his evening walk. He grabs the treat, runs to his favorite spot (no matter who he has to run down) gulps his treat then he flips over on his back and does his goodie roll, doing a sort of circular motion with his legs and rolling from side to side. This usually goes on for about five minutes. Then he gets up, gulps some water, grabs a toy ,getting as much of it into his mouth as he can so that he will have a good grip, then he will bump me on my leg and give me his 'Make my day' look..and the tug of war is on.:+

I have 4 dogs. The oldest is a lab mix, Bear who is 12.5 yrs old. Right now the best thing about her is that a year ago they gave her a short-time to live because she has three heart murmurs...but she is still doing extremely well! Every day with her is a blessing!

The next is a Vizsla, Kiana, almost 7 years old. She loves to snuggle and is ball obsessive. She will sit in front of the refrig. where her toys are on top and stare and stare and stare and whine until you get a ball down for her. Her face is very gray but everyone who meets her thinks she is a puppy. She's very submissive and rolls over on her belly to get belly rubs when she meets you. If she sneaks into the bedroom she'll jump on the bed and nudge you to lift the covers up so she can snuggle under with you.

Then there is my Dobe, Bret, 4.5 yrs old. He loves to goose you with his cold nose in the mornings when you least expect it. His favorite trick is to take the toilet paper off the roll and eat the cardboad...he can get it off the roller somehow intact and get the cardboard out of the middle and leave most of the roll!

Last, but not least, is my 18 month old Vizsla, Gabby. She is an over-the-top hyper vocal Vizsla who is the sweetest thing on the eart. When I leave for work, I kneel down and she puts her paws on my shoulder for hugs and kisses. She constantly brings me toys to play and tug with while I get ready in the morning.

When I'm in the shower, all three dogs excep the lab lay in front of the heater and roast themselves. Just as I open the door the two Vizlas come over and try to lick all the water off you.

Here are some cute pictures that makes me laugh every time I see them. My oldest Vizsla and the pup at 10 weeks playing tug-o-war. They still play nonstop.

http://www.geocities.com/colleenp99/Gabby-tug.html

Colleen

Six dogs here, too. Five Basset hounds and one enormous bloodhound cross who must feel like Gulliver among the Liliputians sometimes.

Penny is 13, and was a rescue off the streets, very demure and sweet. We bred her for my son to have the puppy experience and ended up keeping two of the seven, they are Alexander the Pretty Good, and Trillium, age eleven.

Then there's Brutus who thinks he's a security guard and wants everyone to be in the same room all the time so he can watch us. He's eight.

The last basset is Lucy whom we inherited when my mom passed away recently, and she gets treated like the queen almost as if the others know she's bereaved. She's only three.

Then the alpha of the pack is 95 pound Baruch who does the best downward dogs on my yoga mat, and I swear I'm going to get a photo of that someday so you all can laugh as hard as I do every time he does it. My step and high step are arranged so the old bassets can use them to access the furniture more easily (two risers for the easy chair, one for the futon); after all, who is furniture for anyway?

They howl together and it's music to my ears when I come home after a long day at work.

--Ann

Aww, Ruth- I hope these stories are helping you cheer up!

So, I have a 6 year old pug named Mikey. I always tell him that he doesn't look a day over 3! He is friends with just about everyone in a five block span. There is a deli about 5 blocks away from us that my dad stopped at one day to get coffee while he was walking Mikey. The owners thought Mikey was so cute that she gave him some freshly cut turkey on wax paper. Mikey goes there like three times a week now! Whoever is behind the counter makes the other customers wait while they cut some turkey for Mikey (roast beef on special occasions). The delivery man, crossing guards, and other frequent customers all know him and say hi. I joke that he is like "Norm" from Cheers lol.

Also, I recently bought him some Christmas toys. There were in my room in a plastic bag, and before I could wrap them, he sniffed them out, and I had to give him one. I wrapped them and hid them, but later that night, he came in my room and sat in that spot like "where are my presents?" I kept trying to explain that Santa said no more presents until Christmas. He just sat there and stared, though. There was a gift bag for someone else near the spot, and he wouldn't move until I dumped it out and let him sniff! Finally, I moved the gifts under the tree. Well, Apparently Mikey recognized them lol. He sat and stared again until my parents opened one for him. It's a good think I bought him a lot of stuff, or we'd have nothing left for Christmas.

Ruth, I really hope you feel better.

Hahaha- great story Allison! Sounds like my Mikey- we joke and call him "wilderness boy" whenever he growls while playing with is toys. It's like he is trying really hard to be a dog!

I've been avoiding this thread since I first saw it b/c I lost a beloved pet the night before Thanksgiving. But, reading all of your posts has made me feel better and I now want to tell all about my babies!!! I only have one that actually lives with dh and me (the rest live with my parents) but they're ALL MINE as far as I'm concerned!!!
}(
First, there is my 2-year old mini doxie, known as Buffy (she prefers to be addressed as Miss Buffy Simone Shelton, but we don't always give her the satisfaction!) and she is a little diva and gets absolutely anything she wants!! She climbs all over everything and we have a joke that she thinks she's a cat so we call her the "wiener-kitty"!!!
We also had a rescued greyhound for awhile named Titan that we rescued from the race track in West Memphis. He was a wonderful baby and I strongly recommend that anyone looking for a pet consider adopting a retired greyhound.
Then there's the rest of the menagerie that lives with my parents: 3 dogs: a red german warlock doberman named Nikki (after Nikki Sixx of course!), and 2 heinz-57's named Oliver and Thorne. They have their own acre of fenced-in paradise and play all day long. There's also 2 cats (adopted strays also): a tiny fluffy white cat named Chyna who is beautiful and cute all at the same time (I'll have to post some pics) and last but not least, Trevor who is a total goofball.

We recently lost our other cat and are still trying to deal with it. But, we know that in time it will be ok and we project our love for him onto all of the others. RIP Junior, 1998-2004

;(

My sister is getting an 8 week old toy fox terrier tomorrow. He's SOOOO cute! I don't know how she can not be going crazy wanting to pick him up from the breeder now. I'd be going nuts. My daughter is so excited about him coming to visit for "Christmas" next week. (me too!)

I've said it before, & I'll say it again...you guys are absolutely THE BEST!! Thank you SO much for sharing the love & joy your babies give to you. Thank you for the many good wishes also...and yes, I really do feel better now. I've laughed out loud many times reading this thread.

Ashley, I'm so sorry for your loss. I've been there many times & know how heart-breaking it is. Thank you so much for graciously sharing your stories anyway. I'm glad if this thread helped you feel a tiny bit better.

Some of you may know I work as a Vet Tech & I see many, many dogs & I just love them all. Today we did an emergency surgery - 4 hours long - on an 11 year old Lab. The surgery went well, but due to her age things could still go wrong, so she crowds my thoughts & prayers tonight.

My baby is Diana, a Great Dane rescued off the street in Boston. She's probably 6 or 7 now, which was a great shock to me when I realized it! You may know that Danes generally only live on average 5 - 7 years. It's hard dealing with that over & over again, but it's worth it. Actually, my 2 first Danes lived to be 14 & 13...ancient! But my last one...& only male...died at the age of 5. Diana is a Daddy's girl (but comes to Mom for comfort & looooong petting sessions!), and is very intelligent & silly. Which I believe is a requisite for being a Dane.;-) They are also very stubborn & Diana will ignore me through several repetitions of a request, only to turn & look at me after about the 6th time, and the look clearly says: "Were you talking to me??" She's a great leaper & even at her advancing age can jump from the floor, backwards, up onto my King size with-added-height bed with one jump. Makes it look as easy as walking across the room. She's our velcro dog & we love her dearly.

I also have 2 cats...Wills, a huge beautiful male who is obviously part Norwegian Forest cat (& VERY silly), & Elizabeth, a tiny short-haired calico. Lizzy was a rescue from the streets & if you were to open the door & invite her out she would walk away & go lay on her cushion. Been there, done that! Wills lives to try to kill me...he will hide & jump out at me when I'm going down steep stairs to my basement holding a huge load of clothes. Both felines LOVE to watch me work out & will arrange themselves in a particular "watching Mom work out" pose each time. Diana will have nothing to do with such nonsense & immediately leaves the room with a dramatic sigh.

Where would we be without such unconditional love & joy? Thanks again guys!

Ruth:) :) :)

Forgot...wanted to tell you Pug lovers about my Doc's latest Pug. He is a rescue named Rocky, about 3 years old. Everytime he goes to pee, he will lift his leg & start to go, then will continue to roll over backwards until he has done a complete somersault! I thought the man was crazy (well, he IS crazy, but never mind!)until I saw it for myself. Absolutely hilarious.

Ruth:7

Soft-coated Wheaton terrier. Don't be fooled by the name. We learned that there are no wire or other coated Wheaton terriers. Soft-coated is the only variety they come in! They should just call them Wheaton Terriers. :D But they are SOOOOOO soft!!

Nancy, the Wheaton terrier is beeeyoootiful!

I live in Brooklyn and do freelance/contract work wherever, usually Manhattan.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.