Please tell me about your dogs...

starlight6

Cathlete
I need cheering up and nothing can make me happier than dogs! I've seen little bits of information here & there in the postings, but I want to know what kind you have, & something funny about them! Please?

Ruth:) :)

I have a Chihuahua called Louis. He is 7 1/2" tall and MASSIVE eyes! He is a funny little thing. I have two cats also an they are three times the size of him, yet think that stops him? Nope! He goes for those cats like mad. Bitting. Chasing. Annoying. It's soooo funny, they just look at him as if to say "you're so small, don't bother me"

He is lovely though. When i come home from work he's waiting for me, he runs up to me, fast as he can, sometimes he pees himself cause he's so excited, and falls on his back waiting for me to rub his tummy. I wouldn't be without him.

Oh...I have the best dog in the world.Don't we all:) He is the biggest baby on this earth.He weighs 115 lbs and thinks he is the size of a cat.He tries to sit into the smallest chairs.He wouldn't dare snap or gorwl at anything.And he will try to play with anything, cats, guinea pigs...you name it.
When I take him for a walk he runs from garbage bags on the side of the road and he is also afraid of fire hydrints.
Lately when he is eating he will pick his bowl of food up and then throw it on the floor.WHile he is doing this, he knows it will make a big crash so he is running with his tail between his legs at the same time.When the noise is over he goes back and cleans up the mess he made.
I could probably go on forever.
Lori:)

Lori,

Have you ever seen the old movie called The Ugly Dachsund (sp)? I bet you'd love it. It's about a great dane that thinks it's a doxie. Very cute, lighthearted movie for those who love dogs. There's a book with the same title that is even better, but very different, from the movie. You should rent it. If that won't cheer you up a little, nothing will. :)
Shari

I have two chow/shepherd mixes. Hillary was ten years old in September and Sophie we think is about three (they're both adopted). Just like people, they both have their own very different personalities. Sophie makes us laugh all the time. She's clumsy and gets herself in fixes all the time. She loves to be outside, mostly chasing squirrels and lizards.

Hillary couldn't be bothered with such things. She is our sophisticated, intelligent dog. Well, at least she thinks she is. She spends most of her days lazing around.

They are very territorial and really watch the house and yard for us. We go for walks every evening and have had several adventures together exploring the neighborhood.

I don't think I would ever be without a dog again.

I have two miniature schnauzers that are a year old. One of them, we've taught to put his ears either down or up on command (they both have cropped ears). It's pretty cute.

Can you stand hearing about six dogs?
I share my house and my life w/ Spencer and Wilbur, aka 'the boys','9 yr. old shelties. Littermates. When we got them as puppies, they used to eat out of the same bowl. The seniors in our pack, they get the most excited when it snows and love to be out in all weather.
Kinsey the Queen is our 4 yr. old pembroke welsh corgi. She's a tennis ball fiend and gets her own way w/ the other dogs all the time, if not by charm, she'll use force.
Next came Ollie, who's now 5. We've had him for over a yr. A BorderCollie whose quirks include protecting the air space over our house by chasing away planes and clouds that look suspicious. He's a rescue dog whose first yr. of life was spent chained up, then bouncing to a few homes before spending almost a yr. at rescue before we took him. He's just so grateful to have a family.
Kirby is a we think 2 yr. old lab/basset or corgi mix. Think lab head and tail on a long low slung body. He could be in the circus w/ the tricks he knows. Alas, he's a mass murderer, having dug out of our fence to knock off a few of our neighbor's chickens. No more unsupervised time outdoors for HIM!
Then there was the day I was supposed to transport a border collie puppy to the rescue where we got Ollie. I hated the idea of a puppy in my house even for that day (chewing, accidents, plus what would my dogs do to her?). big surprise . . .they LOVED her and so did we, so she stayed. Sophie will be 1 yr. old this month and has completed novice obedience class as well as having earned her canine good citizen certificate.
Our dog population doubled from 3 to 6 in less than 6 mos. and it's been a challenge but so wonderful. I'm on good terms w/ my central vacuum and could knit a few more dogs out of what I vacuum up every day.
A great dog site is www.glenhighlandfarm.com. This is the place where we got our last 3 and the work done there w/ and for dogs and underpriveleged children is a beautiful and good thing.
Valerie:)

Duke is a German Shepherd/pit bull that we got from the SPCA when he was 12 weeks old. He's the smartest, most loyal dog that I've ever had the pleasure of having in my family.

Something funny about him? Hmmmm....you really have to experience him to get a full appreciation. He's crazy. He's one of those dogs that chases lights. That started when he was 3 and my daughter was born. My daughter has a flashlight and she likes to play "chase" with Duke. This dog is a trip. If you're downstairs at the back of the house and he's upstairs sleeping on a bed in the front of the house...he can hear the *click* of a flashlight being turned on. He's down the stairs in an instant.

He also can smell when there's a deer back in the woods (which is about an acre behind our house) and he's inside.

Dogs are amazing, eh? Some of them can detect cancer before doctors can!

Hi Ruth -- great thread!

We have a 7.5-year-old Bichon Frise named Eddie. No scientific survey has been done, but we think our Furball is the world's largest Bichon, tipping the scales at 31 lbs with height and length to match. When people see him for the first time their first question is "Is that a Bichon?" We say "Yup, sure is" and we wait for it... and after a pause we ALWAYS get "Gee, he's big for a Bichon." It never fails.

Eddie's sweet-tempered and always happy, but (another anomaly-- this is unlike Bichons generally) he's very dominant and bossy, and full of opinions. This summer we renovated our house and furnished a game room, and all of a sudden a new quirk in Eddie appeared. We moved a brown leather sofa from another room to the game room, and put two huge colorful throw cushions on it. They weren't new, either -- they'd been on the sofa in the other room for Eddie's whole life. But now, suddenly, Eddie can't stand those pillows. Every day as I'm straightening up the house I fluff those pillows and put them on the sofa. Like clockwork, within a half hour, Eddie stalks into the game room, leaps up on the sofa, growls at the pillows maniacally }( , and head-butts them repeatedly until they fall to the floor. Then he jumps down and leaves the room.

What I wouldn't give for five minutes inside that furry head!!! :)

http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/sport/sport-smiley-003.gif Kathy S. http://www.click-smilies.de/sammlung0903/spezial/spudniks/spudniklifter.gif

Hi Ruth,

Dogs cheer me up, too.

I have two very spoiled dogs - a Boxer (Gunther) and a Boston Terrier (Chelsea, who rules the roost). If you want to see just how spoiled they are, here's a link to pictures from Gunther's 4th birthday party back in 2003.

http://www.sover.net/~jjski/gunther/

Enjoy!!

I have two doggies- maverick and molly . molly is a year old, black lab/collie/ some kind of minature dog mix. she is the SWEEEETEST dog ever. Maverick is a 60 pound 6month old golden retreiver. he is a pain, but we love him. he cen fetch really well, but last night my fiance and i were playing with the dogs in house and he peed on my brand new hardwood flooring, because of excitement. hahaha all I could do was laugh. :) Check out our pics here:) www.clarkson.edu/~pominvbj/maverick/ and www.clarkson.edu/~pominvbj/molly/ :)

Hi Ruth! Great idea. I love hearing about other people's dogs because it makes me feel more justified in spoiling my own!

i have 2 miniature schnauzers. Pj is 4yrs old and Bella will be a year this month. They have very different "person"alities! Pj is very laid back and has acted like an old man since birth. He is terrified of firecrackers, thunder and gun shots.(we live WAY out in the country and so people shoot of guns and fireworks all the time) When these things happen, he can usually be found hiding under the covers in my bed, or in the bathtub behind the shower curtain. It's very cute but you have to feel sorry for him. he trembles and shakes and this sometimes affords him a few sips of his daddy's beer.

Bella is a complete lunatic with multiple personality disorder. She loves to be outside and dig. she lays in the wet grass and plays in the rain. she is afraid of NOTHING. She has bossed Pj around since the first day i brought her home and she was only 4lbs at the time. When she is sleepy, she wants you to hold her and when she's not she thinks she is a WWF star. She howls when dh and i hug each other and she is not included. she paws/swats at you when you are ignoing her and she will eat anything. Pj is much pickier about people food.

I love dogs---especially mine! i can't imagine my life without them even though they make me crazy!! They are a wonderful source of love, loyalty and entertainment

jes;-)

My brother's family has a Wheaton terrier. He is the cutest creature in the world. Doesn't shed, happy and playful, loves kids. They are thrilled with him.

I have two pomeranians one black female with a white chin we call Kiki that we named after the singer with Elton John "Kiki Dee". The other pom is a beautiful white cream colored male and of course our poodle that loves to sit on my feet when I do my leg exercises on the floor, she thinks it is time for a foot run I guess LOL. My two poms are very tiny and weigh in at 5 pounds but our poodle is a bit bigger she is 10 pounds and yes I have to tell you this, I can get her to sing and talk! it is so funny reminds me of the dogs you see on AFV (America's funnies video's). I breed the pomeranians to show.

Well, I have a 4 year old pug named Maximus (get it now? :p ) who's like a cartoon character. No matter what that little guy can make me smile.

Also a 13 year old chow/lab named Cosmo. Cosmo is toothless--she had distemper when I picked her up from the pound, they called me & told me to bring her back so they could put her to sleep b/c she had a 5% chance of surviving, I said no way & here we are 13 years later............anyway she lost her teeth when she was a puppy but seems to get healthier every day, even though at this point she's little better than a bearskin rug LOL.

We have a Wheaten Terrier named Chloe. She is very cat like in
her play and will "kill" her cookies before she eats them. She looks like she is trying to do some fancy dance most of the time. Her
paws are massive for her body and she uses them as hands most of the time and always in her play. She looks like a boxer giving rights
and lefts when she meets other playful dogs. Oh, and she can balance on her back feet for a shockingly long time. Her manners are not
perfect, but she is ALWAYS happy. We all love her (minus Charlie and Molly, the feline rulers of the house!) Great thread. I don't know
how we would get through life without our unconditional pet love!!

Tina

Gayle I love the b-day pics. My fave is the one of the two of them at the table w/the cake. Too cute!!!:)

We have a 2 year old yellow lab, Max. He has got way too much energy, always wants to play, play, play.

Something funny about him? Hmmm. We got him when we were living in our tiny, cramped trailer (until our house was built). My dh had to put a propane heater in the kitchen b/c the place was not insulated. So Max was sitting up against the heater and had no clue he was on fire. I saw some black smoke coming up from his fur and had to spank him to get the fur from smoking. He was oblivious though. LOL

Last year my brothers and I got my dad a 2 year old doberman from the doberman rescue group. Now that dog is unique. Ceasar is huge and one of those dogs that thinks he is a lap dog. He isn't happy until he is touching someone. At all times he has to either have his paw on you, or his head or he has to be laying on you. When he stretches out on the couch, he is as long as the couch. He is so lovable. He is also great with my 3 year old son. I hate that dobes get such a bad rap!!!

Love hearing about everyone's dogs.

I have 3 mini dachshunds, Oscar, Charlie and Jacob, that I love more than life itself! Charlie and Jacob are from rescue. Both are considered "special needs". Charlie was turned into rescue with a severe case of trench mouth and had to have almost all his teeth extracted, he only has 4 teeth left. Then about a year after we adopted him a disc ruptured in his back (common to the breed)and he had to have back surgery and after that he had surgery for a pernial hernia. And then he had a severe neurological reaction to some medication. He's our $6,000.00 dog! But in spite of all that he is now the picture of health and the happiest dog alive, always wagging his tail and flopping over for belly rubs. Jacob was found wandering the streets of Jacksonville with almost no fur, toenails grown over his pawpads and emaciated. Then Rescue found out he had epilepsy. He takes phenobarbital 2x a day and hasn't had a seizure since we've had him (almost a year now, yay!!) His fur has grown back all shiny and he has the biggest, sweetest eyes. Oscar is my baby, he is my velcro dog. They all are so unique and make me laugh every single day. Whenever I do crunches or pushups I can always expect a dachshund face to be somewhere close to mine, making me laugh and then I have to start over again. There is a quote I love: "Dogs are not our whole lives but they make our lives whole". I wish I could adopt a dozen more!

Lorrie

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.