Packing for Dummies

nancy324

Cathlete
I'm a vacation dummy because I've traveled so little in my life. I tend to get a bit obsessive about what to take with me. We are traveling across country, from NY to Vancouver Island, and I REALLY want to travel light. I'm hoping my DH and I can fit everything into one large piece of luggage.

I've been checking the weather and it looks as if the high temps will average 75 degrees while we're there, and it will get chilly in the evening (50s).

My plan is to wear capri pants, t-shirts and hoodies. I can carry the hoodie during the day, and put it on as it gets chillier. I want to wear my Ecco performance sandals because I can walk all day in them, but they are super casual. What about dining at restaurants? What if it's chilly enough that I want to wear closed shoes with socks?

We're only going for about a week. I wanted to limit myself to 2 pairs of shoes, but I don't know if it will be possible. How many pairs of shoes do people pack?

Any advice accepted by this vacation dummy. Thanks.

Nancy - I'll be interested to see what tips you get! I'm flying out there (NW) next week too. I keep having to remind myself it is going to be "chilly". I am going to be there 2 weeks, but I am determined to pack as light as possible. I will probably wear my walking shoes on the plane and pack 2 other pairs in my suitcase. I cannot go anywhere without at least 3 pairs of shoes! ;)

Why not, instead of one big piece of luggage, you and DH each take one piece that you can carry on? It'll give you a little more space for an extra pair of shoes, and you won't have to check anything. I HATE checking baggage, except for the flight back home. Lost luggage AFTER the vacation is easier to take than at the beginning of the trip. Plus, when I land, I like to get the hell out the airport and start vay-caying ASAP, instead of standing around with the mob waiting for my luggage to come around...IF it makes it at all!)

We tried the one large piece of luggage once, and I thought it was more of a pain in the arse. Plus, DH likes his backpack style luggage, I prefer my small bag with wheels.

Just a suggestion.

ETA..don't forget to wear shoes that are easy to slip off on the plane. Security is so much easier if you can just slip 'em off and slip 'em back on!!!

<<How many pairs of shoes do people pack? >>

When I went to Paris for a week, I packed five...yes, FIVE pairs of shoes. :eek:

My name is Gayle, and I'm a major vacation packing dummy. :D

I find it really hard to pack light for a location where the weather could be variable. Good luck!

>Why not, instead of one big piece of luggage, you and DH each
>take one piece that you can carry on? It'll give you a little
>more space for an extra pair of shoes, and you won't have to
>check anything. I HATE checking baggage, except for the flight
>back home. Lost luggage AFTER the vacation is easier to take
>than at the beginning of the trip. Plus, when I land, I like
>to get the hell out the airport and start vay-caying ASAP,
>instead of standing around with the mob waiting for my luggage
>to come around...IF it makes it at all!)
>
>We tried the one large piece of luggage once, and I thought it
>was more of a pain in the arse. Plus, DH likes his backpack
>style luggage, I prefer my small bag with wheels.
>
>Just a suggestion.
>
>ETA..don't forget to wear shoes that are easy to slip off on
>the plane. Security is so much easier if you can just slip
>'em off and slip 'em back on!!!

Nance, heed Tete's sage advice -- I think you'll live to regret a large bag. Two small bags is much easier to manage and usually affords you more room. ;)

ETA I almost always pack 2 pairs of shoes on top of the pair I'm wearing.

Nancy, are you referring to Vancouver BC? I am from Seattle, and the weather feels similar. Remember to bring a windbreaker type jacket, the rain comes and goes no matter what they say the weather is going to be, an umbrella is a must, even in summer. Its also pretty humid...I would pack what you said you are going to bring, plus one easy to wear cute dress, maybe something you do not have to worry about wrinkling along with a little dressier shoe--just in case you and DH want to go have dinner?

I am a terrible traveler and packer. We are going to a wedding in Florida this week, I boxed up and sent our good clothes via UPS to arrive at the hotel so we only have to take a carry-on...I also shipped my toiletries, I did not want to go through the hassle of security going through my suitcase and stuff. Besides, I always get stopped and searched since my artificial hip sets of the alarms!:) Have fun on your trip, its a lovely place. Oh, and another vote for two separate carry-ons. Much better.

Hi Gayle. ;)

Nancy, I'm going to cast my vote with the 2 smaller bags folks.

Also, if you can, wear your heavier shoes on the plane (if they are easy to remove for security, so much the better) so that you are carrying less weight.

I agree ~ 2 carry ons are much easier. And I pack 2 pairs of shoes: One pair for serious walking (gym shoes of some sort) and one pair that can be worn strolling casually but are cute enough to wear out to dinner (example...pretty but comfy sandals ~ check out Earth Spirit shoes at Walmart if possible).

Have you ever checked out E-bags? Here's the link for the [a href="http://www.ebags.com/luggage/carry_on/category_search/index.cfm?N=2003536"]Carry-on section[/a]. They can help you pick out a good carry-on based on airline restrictions.

I've managed to stuff tons of clothes (and hair dryer & iron) into [a href="http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?modelID=15026"]this bag[/a]. :) It's very comfortable across the shoulders too. American and Delta were find with the dimensions. The only time it looked iffy was when we ended up on a smaller, 40 seat jet like American Eagle. Fully packed, this bag fit into the overhead bin, but just barely.

I'm going to Europe for 8 days in July, and I absolutely refuse to check any luggage. I'm limiting myself to my carry-on and my under-the-seat bag, even though I have to fit in handouts (for a workshop I've giving) in along with my clothing.

I agree with others: go for smaller, carry-on pieces of luggage rather than one big piece of luggage. Not having to check any luggage makes the trip faster (no waiting at the luggage carrousel after your flight) as does having more manoeuverable bags to tote.

Two pairs of shoes (plus flip-flops or light slippers to wear in the hotel room) is very doable. Wear your heaviest pair on the plane (as well as your heaviest clothing).

I plan to take three bottoms (one long pant, one skirt, one capri pant) 4 tops (tops are lighter than bottoms and take up less room), some of which can be worn together. I'll be using compression bags for packing, to take even less room. I plan to do laundry a couple to times (and found some cool laundry soap sheets that don't count as liquids, but dissolve in water. They have body soap, hand soap, shampoo and conditioner sheets as well) and am taking clothes that don't wrinkle and will dry quickly. If I need anything I didn't take, I'll buy something there (a good excuse for shopping!)

www.packinglight.com has them, as well as www.magellans.com .

www.ricksteves.com (which someone on this form turned me onto..thanks so much!) has lots of tips on packing light, and I'm using his bags this trip (the lightest I've found anywhere).

Good thoughts. I'm a total luggage dummy too, of course. All I know is that we have one "large" piece on wheels and one "medium" piece on wheels. I'll have DH do the research, and if we need to pick up some new pieces, I guess we can order from LLBean or somewhere. They ship fast.

DH will be glad to have something to do. He usually wants to help, but I'm so particular, I have to make all the plans myself. For example, I had to choose the flights because for all DH cares, we could leave at 3 am to save $25. Okay, that's an exaggeration, but he's not nearly as picky as I am, so I wind up doing it all. It ain't easy being me. :( No wonder we never go anywhere. x(

Kathryn, I don't envy you. Packing for work travel is difficult. For vacation, I don't even have to look good. I just want to be comfortable, and I'm having a hard time with it! But it looks like you've got everything under control.

Yes, tneah. We're flying to Seattle and then staying in Victoria. On the way back, we'll spend about 24 hours in Seattle, and give ourselves a worldwind tour. I have a little rain shell I just bought that folds up tiny, so I'm good there. I'll bring a tiny little umbrella that's just a few inches long.

Re: dinner. I'm thinking of bringing an old pair of black silk knit gaucho pants with a matching hoodie and a silk tank that I have. That outfit travels well because the fabric doesn't wrinkle. I could take my old Aerosole black slides to wear with it, but I'm afraid my legs will be cold. Oy vey.

ETA: Brilliant idea to send your stuff on ahead! We're going to Texas for a bat mitzvah later this year. Maybe we should do the same thing.

>Nancy - I'll be interested to see what tips you get! I'm
>flying out there (NW) next week too. I keep having to remind
>myself it is going to be "chilly". I am going to be there 2
>weeks, but I am determined to pack as light as possible. I
>will probably wear my walking shoes on the plane and pack 2
>other pairs in my suitcase. I cannot go anywhere without at
>least 3 pairs of shoes! ;)

Yup, I think 3 pairs are going to be necessary. My DH only needs to bring the pair he's wearing on the plane. How unfair is that??

Hi Nancy- We went to Victoria last summer and loved it.:) Do you have a hotel yet? If you don't, I highly recommend the Fairmont Empress. It's a gorgeous place. You can check out some photos of it in my picture trail.

I don't have any packing advice. I'm a terrible packer (and I don't have any excuse as much as I travel) I always take way too much stuff. I just wanted to say have fun and enjoy your vacation. You'll love it there.

Jacque

Have fun Nancy, and give Seattle a big old kiss from me!:) BTW, be sure to check out the Pike Place Market...fresh seafood, oh boy, its too good to pass up. Its on first and Pike.

Thanks to everyone for the advice!

I spoke to DH about the carry-on luggage idea and he said that the airline has now started to charge for carry-on luggage, so he believes there will be a lot more people carrying on luggage than checking luggage. He doesn't want to worry about space in the overhead compartments, and he thinks we'll have the baggage claim area all to ourselves. ;) In any event, the whole airport-airline thing is his department, so it's his call. I'm very glad not to get involved! :D

Nancy, I don't know why it took me so long to see this. I insist you check out http://www.onebag.com/ Really. It helped me pack for a week in Yellowstone with one carry on suitcase and a small backpack. We did ship a couple small boxes to my sister with our liquid toiletries and hiking boots, but otherwise, it was all in one bag. We did the bundling that is mentioned on this website and it is amazing. A 3 foot tall pile of clothes turned into a foot high, rectangular bundle.

>Thanks to everyone for the advice!
>
>I spoke to DH about the carry-on luggage idea and he said that
>the airline has now started to charge for carry-on luggage, so
>he believes there will be a lot more people carrying on
>luggage than checking luggage. He doesn't want to worry about
>space in the overhead compartments, and he thinks we'll have
>the baggage claim area all to ourselves. ;) In any event, the
>whole airport-airline thing is his department, so it's his
>call. I'm very glad not to get involved! :D

You may want to check with the airline since there have been new charges$ associated with carry-on and checked luggage, just so you don't have any surprises. I know I have been dinged $$ for my checked bag weighing too much also. I am with your DH on not wanting to find space in the overhead. It can be such a pain. I just bring a bag that can fit under the seat and check the rest regardless of the cost.

You are going to a beautiful part of the country and I hope you enjoy it!!

I lived in Seattle all of my life(up until 8 years ago) and Pike Market for 15 of those years. Most of the restaurants allow for causal dress. If any thing I would bring one outfit at you would wear out and a pair of flats, so you feel like you not wearing gym shoes to dinner.Ha. But don't sweat it. Life is too short.

You have gotten great advice from the others about light jacket for rain, etc.

Of course if you do only do larger checked bag remember to bring enough in a carry-on to get you through for a couple of days of the essential items in the unfortunate (highly unlikely) chance your large bag is delayed.

Please let us know how your trip is when you return. :)

Kara

>Nancy, I don't know why it took me so long to see this. I
>insist you check out http://www.onebag.com/ Really. It helped
>me pack for a week in Yellowstone with one carry on suitcase
>and a small backpack. We did ship a couple small boxes to my
>sister with our liquid toiletries and hiking boots, but
>otherwise, it was all in one bag. We did the bundling that is
>mentioned on this website and it is amazing. A 3 foot tall
>pile of clothes turned into a foot high, rectangular bundle.

Okay, Robin, I just read the part about not using luggage with wheels. I didn't even start to travel until they invented wheels on luggage because of what it did to my lower back! It's interesting to see the disadvantages of the luggage with wheels, but I don't think I can adopt that one. :eek:

Hi Nancy,

I just returned from a two week trip to Hawaii for business. I only had two pieces of carry-on luggage with me. I had three pairs of shoes (one pair for work, a pair of Rykas, and a pair of sandals). I also had 5 dress tops, two sleeveless casual tops, two pairs of shorts, a pair of capris, 3 pairs of dress slacks, a pull-over top for evenings, and a fleece vest. Again, all of this fit in one piece of carry-on luggage. If I could do this, then you can, too!

Good luck!
Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.