Nia Shanks

I did my first BBA workout this morning -- loved it! I enjoyed setting my own pace (rests, reps, etc.).
Today was upper body and I did floor press (2x3 and 1x5), close grip floor press (5x10), and bent over barbell row (5x10).
I'm still figuring out weight selection, but the warm-up sets were actually a great opportunity for me to feel out what seemed like it might be a good working weight for me. I did adjust the weight up or down occasionally between the sets of exercises with 5 sets.
I'm committing myself to watch Nia's tutorials for all the exercises in a given workout before I start that workout and never to sacrifice form for going heavier.
Oh! And I played with two of her finishers afterwards -- a burpee/dumbbell swing ladder and a barbell complex -- super fun!
Loving it already.
Roz
In addition to weight selection, I'm playing around with music selection. Suggestions welcome! ;)

Justine, thanks so much for the link to that thread -- just what I was looking for! I love to lift to something powerful with a strong beat, and often use Pandora (easier than doing my own DJing), but there are so many lyrics out that just turn my feminist stomach. Now I've got some great new ideas for Pandora stations, thanks!

My poor lats! It was painful to drive to the grocery store, what with the wheel turning! I've got crazy DOMS from yesterday. OH press, parallel bar dips, and chin-ups. Those chin ups have also given me biceps/forearms DOMS like I never get. Thanks for the tip on holding a chin-up then lowering down -- that worked perfectly. I can do ~2 chin-ups, but I was assigned 5 x 10 yesterday :eek:, so they were almost all 'forced reps' (push up with legs, lower down with arms). I did some band assisted in there, but they just got too messy, and my bar's a bit too wobbly to do them comfortably.
That was my third workout (yesterday) and tomorrow is deadlifts/sumo deadlifts -- can't wait (assuming my forearms are working again)! I'm definitely working my body in new ways, going heavier than ever (lowest reps I've ever done), and can't wait to see what strength results I get. Exciting!! And surprisingly, I'm not craving cardio, and happy to take more rest days/week. She's got some great metabolic barbell, dumbbell/kettlebell, sandbag, and bodyweight finishers, which I love to add on to the main workouts.
Any idea what's up next after your current rotation?
Roz

After my current rotation? Sounds like I've just been persuaded to do Nia Shanks!!!

Thank goodness for power steering, eh? I can't use my Land Rover after a day of pull ups!

I'm 4th week of Meso#4 sts - I may extend to 6 weeks. I'm enjoying adding in a second leg day and a second upper body / met con day. I currently ache EVERYWHERE! I'm really keen on the idea of lifting super-heavy. I've been concentrating hard on form - sometimes even lowering my weight before heavying up again. It's working!

Keep the info coming re BBA - it's like lifting vicariously!

This morning, I have DOMS everywhere.
Where do I not have DOMS, is the question.
Weird and hard-to-reach places, too: deep glute, lats, inner elbow crease.
I'm loving this program. Haven't felt the need for much cardio, but did Supercuts this morning. It felt great and broke up some of my DOMS. I'll take an extra rest day tomorrow just so I'm totally ready to start week #2 on Sunday.
Karen, how are you liking the Double Progression program?
Justine do you mean Meso #2 (or have you got your hands on the elusive Meso #4? ;) ). Will you be doing Meso #3? I agree with what you said in another thread -- it does drag a bit. Nice thing about BBA is you set your own rests, based on needs, within a suggested range.
Oh, and in case anyone needs ideas for some metabolic conditioning, ha:

I am loving this program. The workouts are short and to the point, and like you, I am sore in hard-to-reach places. I've been adding finishers as well. This is just what the Dr. ordered. That burpee to pull-up video, tells me I need a bigger squat cage. I think if you did those two movements everyday, you would be good to go. Soo good!!

Karen, how are you doing with navigating weight selection?
I seem to have found decently accurate working ranges for the exercises, but it's tricky to find the perfect weight that allows me to be fastidious about form and really challenges me at the same time. I tend to adjust up or down between sets (usually down, ha) accordingly. But I sometimes err a wee bit on the challenging side -- maybe I just need to back off on my weights a smidge so my form is always 100%. (My form is good, I just wonder how 'perfect' it should be.)
I'm curious to hear about your experience.
I'm still sore in my lower abs from Thursday's workout! :eek:

Karen, how are you doing with navigating weight selection?
I seem to have found decently accurate working ranges for the exercises, but it's tricky to find the perfect weight that allows me to be fastidious about form and really challenges me at the same time. I tend to adjust up or down between sets (usually down, ha) accordingly. But I sometimes err a wee bit on the challenging side -- maybe I just need to back off on my weights a smidge so my form is always 100%. (My form is good, I just wonder how 'perfect' it should be.)
I'm curious to hear about your experience.
I'm still sore in my lower abs from Thursday's workout! :eek:

Yes, I am having the same issues. I can lift heavy, but after a few, the form starts to go. Every day is different. So at this point I'm just playing around with the weight, to keep perfect form. I am ENJOYING this program immensely. The best part, I'm getting DOMS again!!

Yes, I am having the same issues. I can lift heavy, but after a few, the form starts to go. Every day is different. So at this point I'm just playing around with the weight, to keep perfect form. I am ENJOYING this program immensely. The best part, I'm getting DOMS again!!
Glad you're so enjoying the program -- so am I! I'm really having a blast, and feel the 'minimum effective dose' approach is really well-timed for me right now. I just don't need all that cardio. I'm enjoying the metabolic finishers (esp the BB ones) and I'll be adding in a Cathe ever once in a while, but I don't need much. Just can't wait for the weather to turn so I can get out and walk with my daughter.
I think too much cardio makes me constantly hungry -- weird, I know, but I this it's true. And makes me crave sugar, too. :confused:

Also reassuring to hear you're in the same boat re: load selection. It seems to be more of an issue for me with higher reps. The 5 x 10s are tricky. I think I just need to lighten up on those in general. My load does a nosedive between set 1 and set 5.
The 2 x 3s (and 1 x 5s, to a lesser degree) I can heavy up and challenge myself and keep good form for those few reps.

Enjoy! :D

Karen, hope you're still enjoying BBA!
How have you approached the deload weeks? I'm particularly wondering how I can/will deload the challenging bodyweight exercises (parallel bar dips, chin ups, etc).
Thanks for your thoughts...
Roz

Karen, hope you're still enjoying BBA!
How have you approached the deload weeks? I'm particularly wondering how I can/will deload the challenging bodyweight exercises (parallel bar dips, chin ups, etc).
Thanks for your thoughts...
Roz

I wasn't quite sure of how I was going to work the chin ups and such, during my deload week. I have chin up assist rubber bands, and decided to use those to keep it light. It worked great. The week has gone very well. I like this program more, every day. How is it going for you? You can purchase the rubber bands at Amazon, or any gym equipment store. I bought mine on Amazon a few years ago. They were a great help in perfecting a chin up. They worked out very well, during this deload week. Happy lifting, Roz!

Thanks for replying, Karen! I am absolutely loving the program. I love having strength goals. The workouts seem to fit more easily into my day, too -- I don't know why. Maybe because my daughter enjoys cheering me on! ;)
Like you, I'll try to find ways to keep the bw exercises light for deload week. My squat stands (that I place my empty bar atop for chinups) are too rickety to support a band. I really need to get a permanent or solid pullup bar.
Have fun with Double Progression!
Roz

Starting week six of my Nia Shanks rotation. The next four weeks are total body compound exercises three days a week. Will be mixing a little yoga, barre, TA, Tonique and cardio in the rotation. So far, this rotation is working very well for me. Watch for me on the cover of Glamour, or Vogue. Probably not, I will never be that "skinny." I may be on the "Morning Show," though. How's it going for you, Roz? Lovin' Nia?

Last edited:

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.