Nia Shanks

Agreed, K+J. No need to support some jerk who apparently believes that being a strong woman means having developed glutes. Plenty of trainers out there, as you said.

My daughter watches me work out. I don't want her to be anywhere near such messages once she can read.

The brilliant man attributes female hip mobility to sexual positions. Uhhhhh... what about the evolutionary need to give birth safely??

The brilliant man attributes female hip mobility to sexual positions. Uhhhhh... what about the evolutionary need to give birth safely??

I agree he is brilliant in what he is doing. I think he just need to learn to let go off that part of his personality.
Some man can not refrain themselves from referring to sex when it comes to executing some moves. Trust me I agree with you and it is just plain gross actually.:eek::eek:

I dislike this mentality of reducing a woman to sexual object. We are more than that.:mad:
We are also more than just an individual capable of conceiving, bearing and producing another human being!

To turn the conversation to the most interesting topic (i.e., ME!!!) -- I pulled a 1.5x bodyweight deadlift today (well, 2x3 1.5x bodyweight deadlifts, actually)! I've been working up to this for a while, and today it happened!
It turned my frown upside down -- I'm loving the strength gains I'm seeing from Nia's program after just a few weeks!
I may take a little break after this program just to add some variety (I have 3 more weeks) but I'm planning to do another Nia program shortly after -- perhaps Simple Strength 2.

Anyone getting her new bodyweight program?
I don't have a suspension trainer but I'll probably get it before the price goes up...

roz, that's amazing. I've had a 1.5x bodyweight deadlift goal since Jan 2014, but I've never made it. Has it been Nia's programme which got you there, or is it the first time you've tried for that kind of goal?
Are you doing the simple strength programme? I can't decide which to do. I've been putting them all onto spreadsheets!!!!
I'm tempted by the new bodyweight one....but it seems ridiculous since I haven't even started the others yet!

Thanks, Justine!
Has it been Nia's programme which got you there, or is it the first time you've tried for that kind of goal?
I think a bit of both -- I couldn't pull 1.5x bodyweight 4-5 weeks ago when I started, but this is the first time I've regularly trained this heavy, so I've been making quick progress (which will of course slow down over time).
Are you doing the simple strength programme? I can't decide which to do. I've been putting them all onto spreadsheets!!!!
I'm doing the K.I.S.S. program (the one with splits -- there's also a TB KISS) -- it's only 8 weeks, so it seemed like a good place to start. I love it. If you choose to do it, I can share my spreadsheet with you (unless you've already made one!).
I think you're going to love it, whichever you choose!
Roz

To turn the conversation to the most interesting topic (i.e., ME!!!) -- I pulled a 1.5x bodyweight deadlift today (well, 2x3 1.5x bodyweight deadlifts, actually)! I've been working up to this for a while, and today it happened!
It turned my frown upside down -- I'm loving the strength gains I'm seeing from Nia's program after just a few weeks!
I may take a little break after this program just to add some variety (I have 3 more weeks) but I'm planning to do another Nia program shortly after -- perhaps Simple Strength 2.

Anyone getting her new bodyweight program?
I don't have a suspension trainer but I'll probably get it before the price goes up...

Good for you Roz!!! Way to go. I hope you were wearing your pink, and your makeup.

Well, I've been looking through all the Badass materials, and I can now confirm that I have absolutely no ego left whatsoever. It's not just watching a tiny, sparrow-like woman, whose clothes always seem to drown her, pull 330lb off the floor. Oh no. I can cope with someone being much, much stronger than I can ever hope. It's the bit about 'incremental weights'. How those women struggling with 45lb front presses and a 115lb bench might benefit from just increasing their lift little by little. The implication that most women can do that as a beginner......
How did she know my weights????? Am I really that pathetic???? And I've been lifting for a while. I thought I was quite strong. HUMPH.

Anyway, I'm sure Nia can cure me of my weakling status, but I have a few questions. Roz, I think you said you e-mailed Nia about warm-up sets. When do you do them if you're doing a super-set? Do you do a few warm-up super-sets? I can see how this way the workouts could take longer than on first sight.
Karen, am I right in thinking you're doing the double progression programme? When it says 2x5-10 then 2x10-12, I assume you lower the weight for the third and fourth sets? I wish there was a 1RM % as a guide. So if you were doing the first exercise:

1a) Push-up – 2x5-8, 2x10-12
1b) Bent Over Barbell Row Palms Down – 2x5-8, 2x10-12

you'd do 5- 8 push-ups, then 5-8 rows, then 5-8 push-ups, then 5-8 rows. THEN decrease your weight (by 10% ish?) and do 10-12 push-ups, 10-12 rows, 10-12 push-ups and finally 10-12 rows?

Probably a stupid question, as either the first 2 sets are too easy, or the second 2 too difficult with the same weight.

Final question to you both - what variety of push-ups are you doing? I'll need more resistance, but not sure whether to use bands, or a vest (mine's perhaps a bit heavy) OR get a suspension system and do them on that. I quite fancy a suspension system anyway.....

Oh and Roz, I'd love a copy of your spreadsheet - save me typing that one up. Of course, I'm happy to share mine too.

xx

Last edited:
Hi Justine,
I know what you mean about being humbled by the weights Nia lists! But my understanding is that BBA isn't for true beginners, right? I think her LLAG program is for those just embarking on strength training... but I stand to be corrected on this.

Shoulders do tend to be a weak spot, for me -- however, I was pleased to find out that I could front press much heavier than I ever had before (or had ever tried) when doing 2x3 (as opposed to 3x6-8 in Meso 3).

I don't have pushups in my program (or they're one of two options, and I'm not doing the pushup option), but Nia does discuss pushup variations in the BBA video. She says she uses a weighted vest (though I imagine on her heavy days, she rents an elephant from the local zoo to sit on her back! ;) ), but also talks about decline PUs being a good way to make a PU more difficult. She says table height should be your max height for decline, I think.

I don't have a suspension trainer, but am also considering one, esp. with the new bodyweight program that requires one.

I also don't have supersets in my program, but I imagine you'd do a warm-up superset...? I asked Nia if we're to do warm-up sets for each exercise, and she said yes. However, if I'm pressed for time, I'll sometimes just do a warm-up set for the main lift (e.g., deadlifts 2x3 and 1x5), but skip the warm-ups for the accessory lifts (e.g., RDLs 4x8 and ab wheel rollouts 4x8). Though I never really do warm-up sets for abs/bodyweight stuff... I just forget. :rolleyes:

I'll PM you the KISS spreadsheet, as I've included links to the private/unlisted BBA exercise tutorial videos. (I find I watch the videos more frequently if I've got links ready... I get lazy if I have to toggle back and forth from Excel to the BBA PDF to access the links).

Hope that helps!
Roz

Thank you Roz! I didn't think of putting the links on the spreadsheets.....I'll do that before sending you mine!

And I won't be doing a push-up with my toes at table height anytime soon ;0

Well, I've been looking through all the Badass materials, and I can now confirm that I have absolutely no ego left whatsoever. It's not just watching a tiny, sparrow-like woman, whose clothes always seem to drown her, pull 330lb off the floor. Oh no. I can cope with someone being much, much stronger than I can ever hope. It's the bit about 'incremental weights'. How those women struggling with 45lb front presses and a 115lb bench might benefit from just increasing their lift little by little. The implication that most women can do that as a beginner......
How did she know my weights????? Am I really that pathetic???? And I've been lifting for a while. I thought I was quite strong. HUMPH.

Anyway, I'm sure Nia can cure me of my weakling status, but I have a few questions. Roz, I think you said you e-mailed Nia about warm-up sets. When do you do them if you're doing a super-set? Do you do a few warm-up super-sets? I can see how this way the workouts could take longer than on first sight.
Karen, am I right in thinking you're doing the double progression programme? When it says 2x5-10 then 2x10-12, I assume you lower the weight for the third and fourth sets? I wish there was a 1RM % as a guide. So if you were doing the first exercise:

1a) Push-up – 2x5-8, 2x10-12
1b) Bent Over Barbell Row Palms Down – 2x5-8, 2x10-12

you'd do 5- 8 push-ups, then 5-8 rows, then 5-8 push-ups, then 5-8 rows. THEN decrease your weight (by 10% ish?) and do 10-12 push-ups, 10-12 rows, 10-12 push-ups and finally 10-12 rows?

Probably a stupid question, as either the first 2 sets are too easy, or the second 2 too difficult with the same weight.

Final question to you both - what variety of push-ups are you doing? I'll need more resistance, but not sure whether to use bands, or a vest (mine's perhaps a bit heavy) OR get a suspension system and do them on that. I quite fancy a suspension system anyway.....

Oh and Roz, I'd love a copy of your spreadsheet - save me typing that one up. Of course, I'm happy to share mine too.

xx

I am using a weighted vest for my pushups. My heaviest vest weight is 40 lbs. you can take some of the weights out to make it the weight you want. From 10 lbs to 40 lbs. I will do a warm up set for pushups, then immediately do a warm up set for bent over barbell rows. I keep adding weight, and warming up this way, until I reach the weight I want to use. Then do my two 5-8 sets, drop the weight, and do my two 10-12 set. That way I am very warm, and ready to go. Takes longer, but so worth it. Yes, I am doing the double progression program. So far, so good. I wake up everyday with DOMS in a variety of muscles. Nia must be a sparrow-like woman. I tried lying on the floor, under the bar with 45 lb plates on each end. I could barely get my head under the bar. Let alone my torso. I can't do a floor chest press. I have to use my rack and bench. I can't get under the damn bar. But, don't tell anybody.

Yes...I thought I may have to let my barbell plates nestle on some risers in order to be able to get underneath!
And I'm not confessing to how many risers.....

Anyway, thankyou you two for the info.

Yes...I thought I may have to let my barbell plates nestle on some risers in order to be able to get underneath!
And I'm not confessing to how many risers.....

Anyway, thankyou you two for the info.
Can you lower your rack far enough (hey hey, no jokes about age and gravity ;) ) so that you can lie on the ground and it's as if you were on your bench with rack above? That's what I do... and I believe the way Nia has it set up in her floor press tutorial video.

Can you lower your rack far enough (hey hey, no jokes about age and gravity ;) ) so that you can lie on the ground and it's as if you were on your bench with rack above? That's what I do... and I believe the way Nia has it set up in her floor press tutorial video.

Is that what she does? Where did I get the idea that she had it on the floor. Now I feel better. Yes, I can place it close enough to the floor. I should watch the tutorial again. Thanks for the heads up!!

Now see what you have done? Just ordered!!! Couldn't be happier. Thanks for the heads-up.

I bought a Jungle Gym Suspension System from Amazon. I've had it for a couple of years now. Love it. Less expensive than other systems, and it gets the job done.

How funny! I was just coming online to say that I've been on a bit of a spending spree.....suspension system, heavier kettlebell and a band for pull ups (I've been using 3 lighter ones together up until now!). All in readiness for Nia in a couple of weeks. I also bought a set of heavier dumbells to finish off STS, as the only heavy ones I had were the mini barbell types, and I find them unwieldy.

Now I'm tempted by the bodyweight programme - is it very different from the other?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.