Nia Shanks

I'll be bombarding you with questions now! I always get my leanest with metabolic stuff, and have been trying to add it back into my routines (the Jade Teta stuff) - I'm starting to develop a bit of a belly pouch :(
Do you just do the LWF stuff on non-Nia days? Does it hinder your lifting at all? I noticed the literature said 10 mins to half an hour - is that including a warm-up? Do you find it's enough? Does Jen give advice on how heavy to go (always a quandary for me when it's metabolic stuff)? I can't find the original LWF - only version 2. I may wait until the sale (£/$ not in my favour at the moment). Do you do some of Nia's finishers as well? I'm sort of thinking 3x total body + finisher per week, then 2x metabolic and 1x HiiT. Would that be do-able? Any better ideas????

My main concern is getting stronger, and whilst I'm on the BBA, I'll focus on that - BUT if I can improve on other areas at the same time, fab ;)

My belly has a tendency to pooch, as well. I'm trying to keep it from going there, by heading it off at the pass. This week has been my deload week, and so adding metabolic stuff has been easy. I'm going to try it next week with my Nia. This next four weeks is BBA three days a week. So I thought I would add metabolic stuff every other day. I'll see how it goes. If I'm beating myself up (I hate getting old) I may have to pull back. Metabolic has always worked for stripping fat for me. (does that sentence make sense? I keep reading it, and thinking; what?) So I'm going to give it a go. If I end up in traction, or something, I will know why. I have the old Nia program. It did not come with finishers, so I make up my own. Your idea, looks good to me, because that's pretty much what I was going to do. I hear ya, Nia is going to be my focus, but I feel a need right now, to add in other things as well. I always foam roller before every workout. I've been doing it forever, so for me it is part of the workout. I use the foam roller, and then some kind of dynamic warm-up, to get the blood and synovial fluid moving. Sometimes a bit of yoga.

Jen does not give advice on weight. I think her philosophy is do what you can, to challenge you. When LWF 2 goes on sale, I think I will buy it. While program 1 is great. Program 2, will be phenomenal. With it, you can also get a program designed by her husband, that is body weight only. I think I'm going to have to bite. I could kick myself in the rear, I got an email from Jen a few months ago, that she was selling it for $20. Hindsight, right? Happy lifting ladies, keep in touch, and kick some A$$!

Last edited:
:oops:yeah, I wish I went for the $20 deal. Note to self: If you like the instructor, just go for it!

My belly fat is odd- it's not usually where I hold weight. My entire body is undergoing a metamorphosis at the moment. Mostly good- my muscle looks more natural than the look I get with isolation work. I doubt I'll ever go back to curls and kickbacks.
Nia, you've a lot to answer for!

Hi Ladies,
Yeah, I was feeling that pooch a little bit, too. Not from heavy lifting, but from really axing a lot of my cardio (and weaning my little one -- less calories used daily). I've been doing a little more cardio, but have also started tracking calories again, aiming for 2,000 daily (I often go a little over, except those days where I eat a massive ice cream and go a lot over, LOL). It's only been a week or two, but even that small shift has made a big difference for me. I've never seen my lats like this before!
I read a recent article on GGS that a small (read: ~300 calorie) deficit is more effective than a larger one. I can't do a larger one, anyways. I don't care to mess with my energy levels that way.

Justine, I'm also wondering how to fit in metabolic. I'm looking forward to lifting 3 days/week with GGS and seeing how that fits in with my schedule. Keep us posted!
Oh, and ITA that I have no desire to return to curls and kickbacks. I've been thinking that a lot recently! I mean, happy to do them on occasion but not as my main program.

Oh! Justine, I should mention -- if you buy GGS, there's an offer for the original LWF for $39 (I think that's the price -- it's about 50% off). And you don't have to jump at a certain time -- you can use the GGS promo link whenever, if I understand correctly.

Kinda frustrated on bench press -- I feel I could make a big leap if I maximized foot drive. But when I tighten my back, sometimes my glutes lift a little? Figuring it out... open to advice! :D
Roz

Roz - I've just started with floor presses. My butt comes off the floor too - however, I'm getting much better weights doing it that way than trying to keep my back and butt down. Obviously bench presses may be a little different. It feels very natural and comfortable - makes me pull my shoulders down and back, so I'll stick with the glute-lift until further notice. The more I read, the more I realise what I have always considered perfect form may not be the best way. Anyhow, I'd also like to hear opinions on how we should be benching - the learning never stops;)
I'm very pleased with how my body looks - all except for the little extra belly fat. I agree with oz about the lats. I LOVE having lats. I probably just need to rein my calories in (all that coconut creammmmmmm). Wish I were still feeding my daughter (although she's 20, so that would be a bit weird) - Roz, isn't it so hard to adjust?

I can hear GGS calling me......

Has somebody done the Girls Gone Strong guide?
I looks it is also on sale:
http://modernwomanstrengthtraining.com/?hop=mmgalb727&page=special#pricing
I have it, but haven't done the program yet, as I'm currently doing one of Nia's programs. I think it would be great as a change if you're used to Cathe-style lifting. The volume/rep ranges are similar to, say STS Meso 2. The exercises (some, at least), are different, but there are extensive video tutorials for all of them. Lots of great functional core work, too. Great info on foam rolling, diaphragmatic breathing, warming yourself up, etc.
HTH, Roz

I have read through most of this thread the last few days and I have some questions. Is the BBA program just bodyweight exercises or does it involve weights too? I've done 2 rounds of Body Beast and I'm in the middle of STS right now and I want a program that is heavy lifting. I was looking at the 54321 program and the 3x3x3 one. Which do most of you have. I see where y'all have said that one of the PDF's has around 19 different programs, is that a package deal with Nia's programs or just one program. I've look on her website but I'm still a little confused on what I want to start with. Thanks for any help.

I have read through most of this thread the last few days and I have some questions. Is the BBA program just bodyweight exercises or does it involve weights too? I've done 2 rounds of Body Beast and I'm in the middle of STS right now and I want a program that is heavy lifting. I was looking at the 54321 program and the 3x3x3 one. Which do most of you have. I see where y'all have said that one of the PDF's has around 19 different programs, is that a package deal with Nia's programs or just one program. I've look on her website but I'm still a little confused on what I want to start with. Thanks for any help.

Roz, Justine and myself are doing Nia's Beautiful Badass. It is heavy lifting, mostly compound exercises. I think all of us have put on muscle. I like this program because the workouts are short, but intense. Get in, get it done, and get out. Roz and Justine are creating incredible lats with this program. I'm just trying to set PR in all my lifts. I think I speak for all of us, highly recommend. I will send a link.

http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-blueprint/

I believe Roz and Justine have package 2. I bought my program a year ago, it's just the Beautiful Badass program. None of the other fun stuff. But, I am thinking about getting the other treasures.

Last edited:
Roz, Justine and myself are doing Nia's Beautiful Badass. It is heavy lifting, mostly compound exercises. I think all of us have put on muscle. I like this program because the workouts are short, but intense. Get in, get it done, and get out. Roz and Justine are creating incredible lats with this program. I'm just trying to set PR in all my lifts. I think I speak for all of us, highly recommend. I will send a link.

http://www.niashanks.com/beautiful-badass-blueprint/

I believe Roz and Justine have package 2. I bought my program a year ago, it's just the Beautiful Badass program. None of the other fun stuff. But, I am thinking about getting the other treasures.

Thank you so much! That helps a lot, I'm definitely going to get Package 2. I want to build muscle and lift heavier so this is perfect!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.