New Runners All Welcome! Sept. 9, 09

Hey guys,

This morning I did freestyle sprints for a short workout. It wasn't full out, HIIT sprints, because my pants started falling down every time I tried! I really have to find some good running pants with wicking material for short people. Not easy. Athleta has some, but they don't ship to Canada.

For some reason I don't have much energy today, so I think I'magonna go chill out now.

Cheers, y'all!

Happy Sunshine-y Saturday

It's actually on the blazin' hot side, but the lizard in me doesn't mind. Hey, what super power would a lizard have? They sure are swift footed and excellent at push ups. (Did you know that lizards do push ups to cool down!)

First thing this morning we went to a soccer match. They are always great fun. For the record, I am not the screamin' mom on the sidelines! I have been a soccer spectator long enough to know that the players only hear white noise, or something akin to the squawking sound adults make in a Peanuts cartoon. My sons' team won, by another shut out too. Smokin'.
He scored the first goal of the game, again, this time with his head! It was a great play, it totally befuddled the goalie.

After soccer we treked up to the health club for a swim. I swam laps for thirty minutes and did some aqua jogging for ten. The aqua jogging was surprisingly effective and exhausting. I also attempted pikes. I grunted out three. Gotta work those abs. (Tricia, it's not my favorite either.)

We satisfied our post-swim hunger with tacos. My dh ate two tacos. I ate three. What was he thinking? I'm still hungry! I may have to raid the pantry for some of that yummy granola.

Oh and Tricia - I know it sounded vague, but once you are here you'll know exactly where I live! Kind of sort of.:D Well, all the northern california lurkers to the forum will -[I squeak out an itty bitty -yikes!] Congrats on your double Cardio Coach - wow you are making great strides. Way to go! You should see Joe Montana's wife, in person, that girl has legs all the way up to her shoulders! German chocolate cake - 10/22 - check.

Morningstar, hmmmm, the pants condundrum is a puzzle I just have to solve. :) Low energy day - so sorry:(, well, dear, you did just return from a mega-hike! It seems like mulitple days laying on the couch could be in order.

Christine - yay yay yay on your run! I have absolutely no cold weather running advice for you - except light weight wicking layers. Oh, I am so glad Marbles is staying with you. :) An October birthday for you too!

I have to climb a mountain of laundry. The pile is so high I may need an oxygen mask. Although given how unsuccessful I am at breathing through a snorkel, I'll probably just hold my breath the whole way up!:D

Janis

Last edited:
Morning-star!

What about capris? Would they work for you? (don't laugh, I'm serious!)
Anyway, check this pair out -

http://www.runningfree.com/detail.aspx?ID=13516

http://www.runningfree.com/shipping.aspx - ships by canadian post.

here is the sizing chart from Asics website

X-Small
(4-6)
Small
(6-8)
Medium
(8-10)
Large
(10-12)
X-Large
(12-14)
Chest 32"-33" 34"-35" 36"-37" 38"-39" 40"-41"
Waist 24"-25" 26"-27" 28"-29" 30"-31" 32"-33"
Hip 34"-35" 37"-38" 39"-40" 41"-42" 43"-44"
Inseam 30 1/2" 31 1/2" 32" 32 1/2" 33 1/2"

It got a bit scrambled on pasting,here is the link to the product on the corp website -

http://www.asicsamerica.com/product...ORY_ID=250001572&PARENT_CATEGORY_ID=250001563

Last edited:
Was going to try to post a good one, but it's really late and I don't think my brain is up to it! I was at my workshop from 11 until 5 (we ran an hour over). It was excellent! When I called my DH to let him know I was on my way home, he informed me that we were going to Boston to celebrate a friend of ours' birthday with drinks. So, I got home relaxed for about an hour, then we headed up to Beantown! We just got home about 15 minutes ago. I'm pooped and my pups have finally settled down. They get really rowdy when they haven't seen us for a while, so we have to sit up with them until they get over the "Your home!!!!" thing.

Night All - I'll check in in the morning after my caffeine fix!

A Very Tired Good Morning to All!

Those late nights just don't do anything for me anymore! I must be getting old! I had weird horror-movie-like dreams, too! They don't scare me at all, they're just weird. We've been having very fallish weather! It's nice in a way. At least I'm not suffocating when I run anymore!

Christine - We leave for vacation Friday morning. We're spending one brief day in Vegas for my DH's mother's wedding, then we're off to CA to spend a few days in wine country! That's where Calistoga is.

As for cold weather gear for running, this is going to be my first time too! Under Armour makes good gold weather stuff. There's another brand out there that's good, but I don't remember what it is right now. (No caffeine in my system yet!). Breathing the cold air is what's going to be a problem for me. I need to hunt around and see what's available besides just wrapping a scarf around my face! That'll fog my glasses and that would be bad! My DH and I have a competition to see who can last the longest running outdoors this winter! He'll probably win, but I'm going to give it my best shot!

Janis - I saw the weather forecast for the area and wow, you guys are still having summer temps! Yea!

Congrats on your sons' soccer win! You're description of screaming parents cracked me up! LOL! A great swim AND you got had tacos! Yum! I'm still trying to kill all my leftovers so I don't have to throw a ton of food away before we leave! I hope you managed your Mt. Laundry without injury!

Morningstar - Have you tried suspenders? :p;)

Alisha & Jenn - Hello to you two! I hope the weekend has been good!

Off to have my breakfast and coffee! :eek:

So far today has started out well. It is beautiful outside and I plan on getting in a run this afternoon. I also did 9 exercises of sts for the 1 rep max testing. Mainly bi's, shoulders, and biceps.

Last night we went to Applebee's for dinner for DH's birthday.

Alisha your job sounds very exciting. I work for the postal service. Nothing exciting. Are you feeling better? Have the dr's been able to give you any more info?

Janis I too have climbed the mountain of laundry today. :p That is awesome your son scoring the first goal of the game. Tacos sound yummy!! Maybe we will have them for dinner. DH can have tacos and I can have taco salad. I should make him cake also.

Tricia a double cardio coach is a major workout. That is awesome. Are you still using the NIKE sensor? I am thinking of purchasing one. They seem pretty cool. What type holder do you use to secure it in your shoe? There are so many to choose from on amazon.

Christine I haven't run in over week. I hope it will be okay. I may have to just run/walk it. That is so great you get to keep the kitty.

Morningstar did I miss your first 5k or are you still in training mode?

Hi Jenn!

We are having a beautiful day today, too! I do use the Nike sensor every day that I run! I love it! It is such a useful tool! Don't be surprised if you are able to run more than you think today! Just don't push it and go with how you feel.

I got the Marware or Mareware case for my sensor and it is awesome! Sturdy, well made and doesn't jiggle on my shoe. It slides through your laces and velcros on top. It was $8 and change through Amazon. What was cool was that they were doing a promotion, so I got a $5 online certificate for mp3s from Amazon free! I always try to order at least $25 so I don't pay shipping and it ended up costing me $3! Got some great music too! Consider getting the Nike wrist unit. My DH has that one and he loves it! It's the Nike Sportband, not the remote, but the one that you can use if you don't have an iphone/ipod that uses the regular Nike + unit. Although he has an iphone, he opted to get the Sportband because it's easier than carrying his phone on his runs and the armbands for the iphone are bulky and heavy.

Let me know what you end up doing! Enjoy your run this afternoon!

Gimping in here to tell you, Tricia, there are eleven hot air balloons in the sky this morning!

Gimpin' outta here to work the lower body a bit, and make some food.:)

Hey guys,

The low energy continues. I slept almost 10 hours last night, so I'm not sure what's going on. I want to try my first kettlebell workout today, but I don't seem to have it in me just yet. Maybe later. I just previewed Amy Bento's Absolute Beginners Kettlebell Workout, and it was interesting, if a little boring. This was my first time ever even seeing what she looked like. Her body shape was unexpected; in fact, it looked a little like mine. I like the fact that the workout requires only one piece of equipment- always a bonus when you work out in the morning.

I redid my resting HR Polar test this morning, and it now says that I am in moderate cardiovascular condition, as opposed to the previous two tests which said I was an elite athlete. So it seems that my Polar F11 is back on the wagon, and attending its 12-step program regularly. So my calorie burning calculations should come back down as well.

Jenn, you didn't miss my first 5k race - I promise, ain't nobody gonna be able to miss that when I'm done that baby! It sounds like you are doing your 1RM tests in a reasonable fashion; I did all the upper body ones in one three-hour session - NOT recommended!

Janis, thank you for all the work on the website and links - that was really nice of you. I had a great look at everything they have to offer. I have tried capris before; they are just not quite long enough for running- I need about a 22 inch inseam. The Gap does their pants in long, so sometimes I get the long-size of capris and that will work, but they no longer do pants with wicking material. I really don't know why so many companies do not provide for different heights.

You had 11 balloons in your sky? I don't think I've ever even seen one in my area. Between that and the wild turkeys, you guys seem to live in a completely different world from me!

Tricia, I have some cold weather running stuff from a couple of years ago, when I attempted to get into running the first time (did it the competely wrong way, in February in Canada. No wonder I only did it once!) We have a wonderful store chain here called Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC, www.mec.ca) that pretty much all outdoor enthusiasts in Toronto get all of their gear from. They are great, but they don't do petite clothing. I also find the cold air into the lungs the hardest thing to deal with, for my walks too.

Christine, thank you for the congrats. It's true, it was only a few weeks ago that I thought endurance running was impossible for me. Now I see the potential I have and you were part of helping me visualize that- thank you! I'm glad you're keeping the kitty. How are you finding Ripped as a rotation? I haven't been into her for a while, but it may come back. Be careful with that change in temperature during the cool down- you don't want to get sick. Maybe you could do the cool down indoors somehow? I will be facing the same thing too when it gets colder; I thought I might climb my condo stairs slowly for my cool down.

Alisha, I just re-read your post and caught the Dementors reference- yay! I'm an insane HP fan - the books, not the movies. How are you feeling today?

I just went to amazon and bought the Nike sensor, the Marware holder, and Amy Bento's CIA kickbox + the virtual villagers download game for Shel.

Janis I don't see many hot air ballons but at times I do catch hang gliders in the sky on my drive home from work.

Morningstar, I have never done Kettlebells, but Amy Bento is a fun instructor who imo uses awesome music in her workouts. She can be advanced and her cueing is different from Cathe. Cathe is the best the cuer.

Janis - Wow! 11 balloons! That must have been a sight!

Morningstar - You're body is probably just trying to catch up from all that intense hiking and climbing! Don't push it if you don't fee like you have the energy. Like I'm telling you something you don't already know! ;)

Jenn - You're going to love the Nike+ system! It's so easy to use!

Morningstar - I'll check out the link! Thanks! I found a website that gave really good details on how to layer for running outdoors in the cold. Yes, I need the step by step as I still don't layer right just for regular winter weather and we've been in N.E. for 6 years now!

Just saw the movie 9. It was really cute! The characters were well developed and you cared about them right away. The story, however, could have been so much more! Still, I would recommend it, but it could be one you wait for on dvd.

Last edited:
Okay, it has become clear that I am not going to do a real workout today. A rest day isn't a bad idea, really. I did do one strange thing, though. I started playing with the smaller kettlebell, 15lbs, doing bicep curls, hammer curls, overhead extensions, skullcrushers, chest presses, etc., just on my bed, not on my bench. It is a much smaller weight than I normally use for all of that, so it got me used to moving the kettlebell and gave me a wee little endurance workout for some of my muscles that I was supposed to work today. And I kind of snuck up on it, so I didn't really feel like I was working out at all.

So now that I've given up on an actual workout, I'm having a glass of Jackson Triggs Malbec-Merlot; I tend to prefer the big reds for wine. I really like our Ontario wines from the Niagara-on-the-Lake region, they're award-winning, dontcha know! I also had a lovely Baco Noir from Pelee Island winery at a Georgian Bay restaurant recently, but can't find it anywhere in stores, so that's my most recent search for wine.

Jenn, congrats on your recent purchases; it's a really satisfying feeling, isn't it? I bought a ton of new workouts (really ridiculous amount) with my tax refund, and haven't even done hardly any of the workouts. They will still be there, waiting, when I'm ready. I also recently bought Insanity, and haven't even taken it from its wrapper!

Wow, I guess what it took was a glass of wine. I started previewing Lauren Brooks Kettlebell workout, and it seemed like more fun than Amy Bento's, so I started doing the training exercises, and then did the Quick Full Body Fat Blast, only about 20 minutes altogether, but hey, I did something and it actually left me sweaty. It's a bit amateurish, but somehow more real, and more like Lauren is actually training you in her backyard. It was fun, all that swinging of weight. Interestingly, she said that the way that Amy Bento does the two arm and one arm swings are wrong. So, today wasn't a complete write-off, and I probably ended up doing more exercising altogether than I had originally intended. Strange days, indeed, as John Lennon would have said.

Hey guys,

I only got a few hours of sleep last night, so I'm gonna take a walking day today. I'll have to change up my rotation and run tomorrow, with kettlebells in the evening.

Alisha, you okay?

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I will be off the forums for a while. I've been spending too much time on-line and need a break! It was great meeting everyone! Happy running!! :)

Hey guys! Just wanted to let you know that I will be off the forums for a while. I've been spending too much time on-line and need a break! It was great meeting everyone! Happy running!! :)

Christine, I understand and respect your decision (I've done that myself in the past). You will be missed and very much welcomed when you are ready to return.

Good Morning Sunshine Makers!

Now I have "Strange Days Indeed" running through my head!

I am going to do STS all upper body today, disc 10 & 11, all modified of course. I found a swim coach, I can swim with her on Tues and Thurs, that will take a huge chunk out of both days, so no additional workouts on those days. Wed and Fri I plan on practicing what I learn at the health club.

My middle son told me last night I was too ripped. My husband took the diplomatic road, and said "you seem to be proud of your muscles", and left it at that! {What!!!}

Morningstar, the kettle bell workout is highly intriguing, less equipment is good! I don't mind low production value on dvd's, if the content is useful!
Sleepless nights, or interrupted sleep, are such a burden! Caffeine and lots of it!

Jenn - you're like me - needing the fun toys to get motivated! I, too, am curious how the Nike sensor works out for you.

Tricia - The balloons were pretty. I've never been up in a hot air balloon, but I can tell you they are loud!!!

Ok - HP fans - guess what the swim instructors name is!

Off to lift and find a housekeeper, and call the Houghton Mifflin software rep and call the principal of the school, and maybe empty the dishwasher.
:D:D:D:D

janis

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.