New Runners All Welcome! Sept. 9, 09

Hi again,

I decided not to run today and instead did Insanity Pure Cardio (I want to make sure that I change up my cardio regularly to avoid using my muscles the same way all the time and getting repetitive-stress injuries). I've had Insanity for a couple of months (not to be confused with being insane for a much longer period) but hadn't even taken the plastic wrap off. I really liked this one; it was a good rest day workout. It was quick - 38 minutes including 2 five-minute stretching sections and the warm up. I only burned about 338 calories, but that ain't bad for what was in effect a half hour workout. I liked Shaun T's style, I liked the atmosphere, the music wasn't distracting and I liked the fact that I held my own while the background exercisers were dropping like flies! So I guess I liked that they showed them getting fatigued and taking breaks. It wasn't fancy, so I didn't have to learn any choreography or worry about breaking my ankle on a step. No equipment needed, either, which was nice. By the end of the warm up, I was already dripping sweat; in fact, twenty minutes after the workout, I'm STILL raining sweat! I'm not going to follow his rotation or anything, but it is nice to change things up a bit and move in other ways. Max heart rate was 105%, average heart rate was 79% of max. Not bad, considering that average includes the stretching and warm up.

What are you guys up to?

Its Sunday!

Insanity Pure Cardio. . . a good rest day workout.

Only in MStar land is that a true statement. :D

MStar- regards races/headphones some races do not allow you to wear headphones (not even ear buds.) So check ahead of time. As for keys/id I carry only my car key, Kaiser card and driver’s license and 5 or 10 dollar bill tucked into a pocket or if you get Roos (remember those) with the little zipper pocket on the side, you can put it in there. The race I was in gave you the shirt after you finished (also we got flowers, super cool)

Based on what Jane had to say, I would guess that your “fun runs” are tempo runs.

Jenn- yeah, what is it with kids? What gave them the idea to run? (ok. Maybe it was the other people running but cheeky anyways:p)

The Tummy Times, Rapid Breath reporting:
I haven't had any nasty cramps since Friday. I felt ok eating fish/vegetables yesterday. I had home cooked rice, squash, mushrooms and steak for dinner and that worked really well. I even had a little gluten free mint ice cream after dinner and it was really good. ;)

Tumblin' tumble weeds reporting: However, I'm pretty sure I broke the tip of my right toe but I don't care because it doesn't hurt when I walk or run. My left ankle is still a bit swollen but does not appear to be broken at all. The skinned hands, forearm and elbow are healing nicely. I expect to be back on the road in about 1-2 weeks. yippee! :D

It is perfect weather up here. My mom and I went to a scrapbooking shop yesterday and I think (oh dear like I need another hobby right) I want to go back tomorrow. I will be good and I won't spend a lot of money. Its just such a neat place. They have all these die cut cartridges for the cricut (Aunt Peggy has one.) I could see how person could go into debt with this stuff.

Today is shopping for replacement shoes (the gasolined shoes have been thrown out.) roasting a chicken (fresh rosemary from the garden) and reading magazines. Its an easy day.

I've had Insanity for a couple of months (not to be confused with being insane for a much longer period)

such low hanging fruit, a stuffed pinata, a perfectly pitched ball ....I just can't help but swing ....

Nope, no confusion here - I've known you were insane for much longer than a couple of months!:D:D:D

Janis any soccer games this weekend?

Jenn, dear, I keep forgetting to say hi when I have posted the last couple of days, bad on me. :eek:

There was a soccer game on Saturday, it was a brutally hot day, and the team lost. DH and I amused ourselves by renaming the teams. We have no idea what their real names are but we called them: The Pumpkins, The Pickles, The Periwinkles and The Pinots.

Can you guess the jersey colors?

Alisha - the deer ate the entire rose bush! My god, I have never seen that, yeah, the flowers and rosehips but not the entire tree! Impressive.
Is there a business venture in scrap booking? Like maybe doing creative scrapbooks for folks who are not creative or are short on time, but want the souvenir style photo album? I'm glad your wounds are healing, that was quite the tumble!

I have spent too much time sorting out the Swimman. My ds20 renamed it, on my itunes acct, the swim woman, cute, huh? In the process of waterproofing they made the play/pause buttons uber stiff, and therefore resistant to water pressure. They recommend a 'two thumb' method of turning it on/off. I swear I need three thumbs!
I loaded it up with classical. We'll see how that choice works with swimming tomorrow. :)

Hi Tana, Cindi, Lisa, Jane, and TRICIA! :D

Last edited:
Hi All,

I did a 4 mile run this morning. I wanted to do weights this afternoon but was too tired.

Hope everyone has a great evening!

OMG! What are you all doing to me!? I'm going to have to take a vacation when I get back to catch up on all the posts that have come in since I left! :eek:

Hello to everyone from sunny alcohol-ly wine country in CA! :eek: We did our first tour today! Yes, only one! Because we took the wine train it was pretty much an all day event and I wouldn't have done it differently! The scenery was great, the food fantastic and we drank a bit of sparkling wine at Domaine Chandon! Yummy!

Janis - We're going to head out to La Luna soon to pick up some food! YEA! Real Mexican food! Just to be sure, it is the La Luna Market & Taqueria in Rutherford, right? Hope so!

We got in to our hotel at 1:30 this morning. Got a bit of sleep and were up at 8:00 a.m. local time to get ready and find some coffee and a small snack before we made our way to the depot. Tonight will be our first real night's sleep since leaving on Thursday! :D I'm looking forward to that!

Yes, the long flight without food was difficult. I really thought I was going to go insane! Won't do that again even if I have to get junky junk food in the airport to take on the plane! Definitely will be doing that for the flight home on Tuesday night!

The weather is supposed to be more tolerable tomorrow. Not that the dry heat has been bad. At least not to me! ;) Down in the 70s starting tomorrow! I know all of you CA natives are soooo happy about that!

It's nice to be in a hotel with free wifi! I've been having DTs not being able to log in! :(

So, I'll be doing some forum reading and try to get caught up and get to know a little bit about our new and re-newed members! over the next couple of days after our tastings, if I can see straight, that is! :eek:;)

Take care all and keep up the good work! If you get a chance, throw in a run for me! I need it! Haven't lifted a toe since last Wednesday! I'll be feeling it when I get back!

Oh, Jenn! I'm so sorry! It will be easy to return and exchange it for the entire kit! It's really easy to use (once you have both pieces)! It took me a while to figure out that you needed the two pieces, because I kept seeing it both ways, I thought I only needed one piece with my iPhone until my DH straightened me out! I'm so not techy!

You'll love it once you get the whole thing!

If at first you don't succeed . . . :)

I have just came back to report that I am a dummy. I really need to read things better before I purchase them. My recently acquired Nike Sensor is just that the sensor and nothing else. I needed to purchase the whole kit. The sensor is no good without the reciever thingy and of course that is not sold seperately.

Ok I am off to do another round of Kickbox surge and then to a rainy a football game.

Janis - We're going to head out to La Luna soon to pick up some food! YEA! Real Mexican food! Just to be sure, it is the La Luna Market & Taqueria in Rutherford, right? Hope so!

The weather is supposed to be more tolerable tomorrow. Not that the dry heat has been bad. At least not to me! ;) Down in the 70s starting tomorrow! I know all of you CA natives are soooo happy about that!

YES! 1153 Rutherford Rd., Rutherford CA 94573 | Phone: 707.963.3211 | Fax: 707.967.3499

don't know the hours though! ETA : Saturday and Sunday until 6 pm!!!! Hurry hurry!

Told ya it was HOT HOT HOT! Yes, they say it is going to be cooler manana!

Kisses

Last edited:
You know, I had looked all that up and just realized I lost track of time! :eek:

Damn! Guess it's going to have to wait for tomorrow! :(

You weren't kidding they roll up the sidewalks early around here! Of course, it is Sunday . . .

Oh well, what is it they say about anticipation? ;)

YES! 1153 Rutherford Rd., Rutherford CA 94573 | Phone: 707.963.3211 | Fax: 707.967.3499

don't know the hours though! ETA : Saturday and Sunday until 6 pm!!!! Hurry hurry!

Told ya it was HOT HOT HOT! Yes, they say it is going to be cooler manana!

Kisses

Hey guys,

I am going to try something I have only done once before: run on my way home after work (gulp!). Why?

a. I didn't feel like getting out of bed
b. If I was able to find a way to have the energy to run after work, it opens up a lot of workout possibilities for me
c. I need to get practice running around more people (I really hate it, and don't want it to be a brand new experience when I run in my first race)

I don't do this usually because it is logistically difficult to get all my crap home from work (I don't want to carry a pack while running anymore), I don't have as much energy after work (MORNINGstar, dontcha know!) and Toronto streets are packed with people, especially smokers, in the late afternoon. I also end up actually burning less calories for the day, because I am replacing one of my walks with a run, instead of adding on the run to two walks.

In any case, I have worked out a route that shouldn't be too people-packed for most of it (although very busy on the streets for the end of it) and I'll let you know how it goes.

Tricia, nice to hear from you! Bummer about the Mexican food!

such low hanging fruit, a stuffed pinata, a perfectly pitched ball ....I just can't help but swing ....

Nope, no confusion here - I've known you were insane for much longer than a couple of months!:D:D:D

I understand that it must have been overwhelmingly hard to avoid the temptation, Janis, and I forgive you.

Only in MStar land is that a true statement. :D

MStar- regards races/headphones some races do not allow you to wear headphones (not even ear buds.) So check ahead of time. As for keys/id I carry only my car key, Kaiser card and driver’s license and 5 or 10 dollar bill tucked into a pocket or if you get Roos (remember those) with the little zipper pocket on the side, you can put it in there. The race I was in gave you the shirt after you finished (also we got flowers, super cool)

Based on what Jane had to say, I would guess that your “fun runs” are tempo runs.

Jenn- yeah, what is it with kids? What gave them the idea to run? (ok. Maybe it was the other people running but cheeky anyways:p)

The Tummy Times, Rapid Breath reporting:
I haven't had any nasty cramps since Friday. I felt ok eating fish/vegetables yesterday. I had home cooked rice, squash, mushrooms and steak for dinner and that worked really well. I even had a little gluten free mint ice cream after dinner and it was really good. ;)

Tumblin' tumble weeds reporting: However, I'm pretty sure I broke the tip of my right toe but I don't care because it doesn't hurt when I walk or run. My left ankle is still a bit swollen but does not appear to be broken at all. The skinned hands, forearm and elbow are healing nicely. I expect to be back on the road in about 1-2 weeks. yippee! :D

It is perfect weather up here. My mom and I went to a scrapbooking shop yesterday and I think (oh dear like I need another hobby right) I want to go back tomorrow. I will be good and I won't spend a lot of money. Its just such a neat place. They have all these die cut cartridges for the cricut (Aunt Peggy has one.) I could see how person could go into debt with this stuff.

Today is shopping for replacement shoes (the gasolined shoes have been thrown out.) roasting a chicken (fresh rosemary from the garden) and reading magazines. Its an easy day.

Good lord, woman! I hope your new shoes have lots of ankle support. I'm glad food isn't torture for you right now - I hope that continues. I guess the "rest day" is a relative statement - how about "active recovery day" instead?

What the heck is "cricut"?

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.