My workout with Art Carey!

Thanks for the blow-by-blow account. I'm sure Art's lack of coordination might contribute to his distain for video workouts.

As for him being nicer in person than in his column, I had a feeling that the machismo and arrogance he shows in his writing is a persona that he's taken on, kind of a Howard Stern wannabe type.

As for what he'll say about this in his column, will the "real"
Art be speaking, or the annoying persona?

Thanks so much for sharing all the juicy details!!! I'm so happy you made him eat his words!!! He sounded like he was being a good sport about the whole thing!!

Cathe you're great!!

Danielle
:7

Video workouts?

Cathe,
Since I am somewhat sceptical about Mr. Carey and his Jeckyl and Hyde personality (real guy vs. persona), I fear that he will still not take this as evidence that one can get a good workout by doing videos at home (after all, he might say, while he had an excellent workout, it was a personal training session and not a video).

If you have not already done so, I highly recommend sending him a follow-up gift (thank you? congratulations? condolances?) of the DVD of Boot Camp and Muscle Endurance. While he might have some coordination problems with Boot Camp;) , these two workouts will give him a good flavor of high-quality, high-intensity, advanced workout for "non-morons".

Video workouts?

Cathe,
Since I am somewhat sceptical about Mr. Carey and his Jeckyl and Hyde personality (real guy vs. persona), I fear that he will still not take this as evidence that one can get a good workout by doing videos at home (after all, he might say, while he had an excellent workout, it was a personal training session and not a video).

If you have not already done so, I highly recommend sending him a follow-up gift (thank you? congratulations? condolances?) of the DVD of Boot Camp and Muscle Endurance. While he might have some coordination problems with Boot Camp;) , these two workouts will give him a good flavor of high-quality, high-intensity, advanced workout for "non-morons".

Hi Kathryn!

Don't worry, I sent him home with a "goodie bag" on Wednesday. It included the entire Intensity Series both VHS and DVD format. I told him that we did a mixture of Boot Camp and Muscle Endurance in his workout. He saw the title "Terminator" as he poked through the bag and seemed intrigued to check it out.

I should also be fair and mention that Art Carey's coordination was not very good at all during the warm up moves that I would typically do (ie: side steps, tap and reach, hamstring curls with bicep curls etc.), but once we got to the workout where we did just one move for a while he got a little better.

I also gathered from talking to him at the diner that while he may no longer be so quick to use the word "moron" when referring to video makers/users, he may also not be so quick to run out and buy/use videos either. He seemed to really advocate the beauty of playing outside and taking advantage of functional movement in this manner.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what he really feels in his column.

Hi Kathryn!

Don't worry, I sent him home with a "goodie bag" on Wednesday. It included the entire Intensity Series both VHS and DVD format. I told him that we did a mixture of Boot Camp and Muscle Endurance in his workout. He saw the title "Terminator" as he poked through the bag and seemed intrigued to check it out.

I should also be fair and mention that Art Carey's coordination was not very good at all during the warm up moves that I would typically do (ie: side steps, tap and reach, hamstring curls with bicep curls etc.), but once we got to the workout where we did just one move for a while he got a little better.

I also gathered from talking to him at the diner that while he may no longer be so quick to use the word "moron" when referring to video makers/users, he may also not be so quick to run out and buy/use videos either. He seemed to really advocate the beauty of playing outside and taking advantage of functional movement in this manner.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what he really feels in his column.

Woo hoo! Thank you, Cathe, for sharing with us the "blow by blow" account of your encounter with Mr. Carey.
I was thinking about it all weekend long. I have read the posts in Mr. Carey's article and the responses I have seen
on this Forum on on Videofitness. I have been thinking that perhaps this is exactly the reaction Mr. Carey was looking
for. Are there videos out on the market that are truly effective? or, are they a way for some people to just make a
video for the fun of it (BodyFlex comes to mind). If this is the case, Mr. Carey certainly did get what he was looking
for. He found that there are home videos out there that are challenging and are for those of us who take fitness
seriously.

I look forward in seeing what he writes. We already know that it will be witty and the use of "Babe" and "Tomato"
will be used throughout his article. But, it will be interesting to read in between the lines. I'm sure there will be a
positive message there.

Sorry for the philosophical discussion. I truly was pleased with your account, Cathe. I was grinning ear-to-ear and
was pleased that you made him work hard! :D I wonder how well he was walking the following day? }( }( Lorrayne

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.