My Review: Patrick Goudeau's Lean Hot Body

FitGirl-ATX

Cathlete
Hi all,

I posted this review over at VF. I thought I'd share it here as well, especially since several of us ordered Patrick's latest DVD. I just finished this workout for the first time tonight. All I can say is a resounding, enthusiastic:
W.O.W.

Seriously, this workout rocked and has quickly earned a spot on my 'favorite workouts' list!!! This is my first workout purchase of Patrick's, but I have seen him on FitTV in the past. He is excellent. I did the 60-minute workout. There is also a 10-minute add-on abdominal section, which I didn't do. You need 2 sets of weights - medium and heavy. I chose 15's and 20's. They were right for me for most of the workout (had to make a few adjustments here and there). Note - There are no water breaks in this puppy. It just keeps moving :D.

Anyway, here are some of my thoughts regarding the workout:
  • Moved quickly and was well sequenced
  • High energy music that kept me moving
  • Patrick's cueing was simply outstanding!
  • Very creative combinations
  • Kept me challenged for the entire workout
  • Strong, effective warmup that gradually increased heart rate. But, once it was up, it was up (high) for the rest of the workout :) I was actually anaerobic for the majority of the workout.
  • No dread factor - even on the more challenging moves, I didn't feel intimidated. I at least had the courage to try everything.
  • Patrick has a wonderful personality and teaching style. I loved him!
Although I did have to take breaks and hit pause often to let my heart rate come down a bit, I felt this was one of the most effective workouts that I've done so far this year. I didn't preview the workout first, and I didn't have too many problems following along. I'm sure that as I get more familiar with the workout, I will personally be smoother in my execution. I can definitely see how this workout will lean you out and improve one's overally conditioning. I am really looking forward to doing this again, and even more to when I won't have to press pause as much. I'm not sure if the workout is chaptered. I seemed to recall hearing that it wasn't, so I didn't even try for fear of interrupting the workout too much.

In conclusion, I'm going to even go so far as to say that this workout gives Paul Katami's Hollywood Bootcamp 4x4 a run for its money (which I thought was a 5-star bootcamp workout, right up there with Cathe's Bootcamp). I am so ELATED to have this workout in my collection!!

(sidenote to LauraMax: I recall that you mentioned recently finding Patrick's step workouts. If you're looking for a good circuit/interval/bootcamp workout, you might want to check this one out :D )

I just wanted to say, I recently purchased and did this workout as well, and you could not have said it better! This workout is a keeper and I am very glad I purchased it. Great killer workout with a definite fun factor. Proceed with caution if you are not truly ready to workout that day:)

Fitgirl,

I have this workout and totally agree with your assessment. This was a very tough, fun, very high energy workout. The music in the workout was great. I got through Katami's 'Boot Camp' without stopping but I must admit that I did have to take a few breathers with this one. Patrick only said 'OMG' twice, although I was probably to busy huffing and puffing to really notice. If this workout does not 'lean' out your body, I do not know what will!

The workout is not chaptered (this is my only minus )

Thanks for the review!! I have several of Patrick's older workouts. I love him, terrific personality, terrific workouts. I always feel great mentally and physically after on of his workouts. I'll have to add this to my collection :)!

Thanks for the reviews. I have the dvd but haven't tried it yet since I was in the middle of Cathe's January rotation. Now I can't wait to try it, it sounds awesome!

Pam

Thanks for the review

Hey, I'm in! I think I am going to get this for my birthday in a couple of months (March seems like its just around the corner!) and maybe Turbo Fire too.

Alisha

Yippeee!! I'm so glad that those of you with the workout like it, and those who don't have it are interested in it. It really is outstanding.

Here is the trailer if you haven't seen it yet:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coNgnyBnjq4

I think that the only carriers right now are Patrick directly and Collage video. I ordered from Patrick during his pre-sale. It was a great experience, and I received the product quickly.

Enjoy!

I'm salivating over this one. :D

For those who have it, would you say it's comparable to Cathe's Circuit Blast from the Shock Cardio series? I would want to use it primarily as a cardio workout. In other words, I want to burn some extra calories and use the weights as a way to up the intensity, not as my main strength training for the week. I'm not looking for something that's intended to build serious muscle. I have other workouts for that. Would LHB work for this? Based on the clips, I would say yes, but I don't know what the rest of the workout looks like!

Thanks!
Tonya

For those of us that have never heard of this guy or this workout, can you give the basics? What kind of workout is it? Is it straight cardio, strength, endurance, circuit, cardio/circuit, isolation, compound, uses heavy weights to achieve a cardio effect, etc? When you say he has creative moves, what makes them unique? Can you give examples?

I too LOVED this workout - I did it for the first time on Saturday, and it was much more difficult than I originally thought. I would describe it as high intensity cardio-circuit type workout, and the weights are used in such a way that your heart rate never really has a chance to come down (I used 8's and 10's for most of the moves, moving up for some where I could perform the move without losing my form, or my lunch). There are almost no breaks between exercises, and just when you think you've caught your breath, it's time to ramp it up again. A few of the unique exercises that he uses (that I can remember) are the 'one-leg pass thru forward/backward lunges' (for lack of a better name), the modified turkish get-ups and the shoulder press/lunge/jump to pushups. The one-leg pass thru lunges have you holding a set of dumbbells, lunging forward while touching the floor with the opposite arm, lunging backward while touching the floor with the other arm with no toe-touch in between, so the workload is constantly on the leg that isn't moving, frying the quads. The turkish get-ups start by having you lie down on the floor, holding a dumbbell in one hand, the arm extended straight up towards the ceiling, the other arm extended out to the side resting on the floor. You then tuck the leg opposite the arm holding the dumbbell underneath you, push yourself up, then extend the tucked leg out in front of you, hold it for a second or two, tuck it back in, and then continue to push yourself up to standing position, all the while holding the dumbbell in the extended arm towards the ceiling. You then reverse these moves to bring you back to your starting position on the floor (clear as mud, huh?). The shoulder press/lunge/jump to pushups have you doing a shoulder press with a dumbbell in each hand while in a lunge, then, after completing the shoulder press, place the dumbbells on the floor in front of you and jump to a pushup, then jump your feet back to your hands, stand up, and start all over again.

I'm sure there are other moves that I simply can't remember right now, but these are the three that stood out for me, probably because I found them so difficult to do. I am very pleased with this purchase, and I see myself using this workout many, many times in the future. The time flies thru the hour, the music is fun and I find Patrick pleasant, entertaining and motivating (I even chuckled when he said, "There's my first 'Oh my gosh'"). Overall, it is a well thought out, well produced video, and I hope Patrick films more like this one. My only complaint is that it isn't chaptered. I hope this helps...

Karen

I like him, first saw him on FitTV when they had workout shows and he is just so animated. I may have to get this one too :)

I had never heard of him, so I did a quick google search and found the youtube video for lean hot body. Though it looks like a great workout, he does one thing that I do not care for in his workouts and that is he stops midway through a set to turn and walk over to the others working out. Chalene does this too and it actually bothers me. This is why I love Cathe! She never stops and finishes every set/rep.

Thanks! This one's definitely going on my wishlist. Darn it, I'll probably have to wait until my birthday in July. :)

It bothers me when instructors stop in the middle of a set, too, but I can usually overlook it, plus I have other Patrick workouts and his personality is great IMO. I do love that Cathe pretty much always does the ENTIRE workout.

Tonya

I just ordered this one too! I've been in a fat-burning-calorie burning circuit workout kinda mood lately. I'm hoping to alternate Patrick's workout with Atletica, Paul Katami's 4X4 and Jillian's NMTZ for awhile throwing in some treadmill jogs and Cathe's STS Total Body and High Reps when my body's craving pure cardio and/or strength training.

I just wanted to say thanks to the original poster. Thanks to you I ordered this and now have found a new instructor to add to my favs. This is a great workout! Wow! I was glad when he switched the focus to triceps, but not for long! That section was hard :confused: Now I'm going to have to checkout some of his other workouts too.

Pam

I haven't had a chance to do the workout yet. Thanks for the wonderful reviews. I can't wait to do it!

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.