My husband doesn't think I NEED the presale items!

:7 :7 :7 Wendy--

I DO think that when I weight train, I lose more bosom than if I just lose weight. :( It's worth it though, isn't it? Even though I cannot afford to lose any more, being barely an A cup anyway. ;-)

Yes, I've been married 26 years, and if anything will get their attention, it's the idea of more.......:+

Why should any woman have to answer the any man, whether he is her huband or not, regarding spending of money? That is something I will never understand. Karen

I want everyone to understand that it is not that I have to "answer" to my husband regarding spending money. We have a very mutual relationship and make financial decisions, and most other decisions together. Besides, it goes both ways-when there is something he wants we discuss it and make a decision together. We have a great marriage and this works for us and our relationship is much better because we both are completely aware of where our money goes and especially since we have started up a new business we are "penny pinching" more than ever. I hope you understand. Have a great weekend, Wendy

Wendy,

Does your husband golf or drink beer? I always say that the cost of videos are FAR LESS than ONE round of golf and a few beers. That always works for me. And remember, if these videos bring you joy and help you feel good - why wouldn't you get them? He will benefit just as much as you will!

Jenni

Hey Wendy!

I'm a dental hygienist too, I'm the major breadwinner too, and we make our financial decisions together too!

Except this presale, I ordered them and forgot to tell him... but larger ticket items I do talk with him about. (We have not just bought a business either. If it were tighter we would be discussing under-two-hundred dollar items.)

Anyway my hubby is a great guy too, and I just decided to post because you and I have so many things in common! Have a great day!

-Connie

RE: Hey Wendy!

My husband and I have done a fair amount of marriage counseling (myself more than him.) We also own a business together. From observing couples who have problems in marriage and couples who become very happy together, it often starts with the simple fact of both people putting the welfare of the marriage above their own wishes and desires. A husband or a wife who has a happy marriage as a high priority will not carry the attitude of "how dare you tell me what to do" but rather will have the attitude "I'll sacrifice if needed for a satisfying marriage." Sometimes finding that solution takes a long time, but when both people respect the other person's position and KNOW that their partner also highly values the happiness and health of the marriage, there is usually a mutually satisfying answer to the problem. If a husband or a wife feels entitled to spend money on whatever they really want, what is the person who pays the bills supposed to do when there isn't enough? It goes back to putting WE above ME. In our own experience, we have had many years of being below poverty level and now many years of being what most people would say is wealthy. We NEVER could have been successful if either one of us felt entitled to spend money on what we thought we "needed" (like clothes!) and we each needed the other person to keep us accountable to that. He had to tell me, "No, we just don't have the money for you to go out to lunch like that" and I had to say, "I'm sorry, you can't go to the movies with your friends." It was frustrating and difficult to truly NOT have ANY extra money, but when you know you both have a bigger more satisfying goal as the main goal, then the smaller sacrifices that you have to make, make sense in the long run. Placing OUR happiness above MY happiness is a lifestyle that is rewarding. That is why you would let your husband tell you that you can't spend money. Frankly, I am extremely thankful for our time of poverty. I learned to be CREATIVE, that I CAN remodel a house on $1000 and a year a of sweat, I learned how to do ebay and generate cash at any time, and I learned that living debt free is worth it! Most importantly, I learned that we are team, I can fully trust my husband, and he can fully count on me.

I agree with you Amy....as long as it works both ways and it's not just one person making all the decisions. I totally agree with you about respecting each other and putting the WE above the ME.

What I wouldn't agree with is if a husband always bought what he wanted without discussing it with his wife, but the wife is always having to ask him for permission. I would feel too controlled by the other person and it would seem unfair. My whole life I always told myself that I don't want my future husband to be my boss.

As long as there is compromise then I think that's good.

I think a good example of a system would be, one person gets a set amount of money to spend and the other gets a set amount of money to spend every month. Then the rest goes towards, bills, savings, etc.

If there's something big though that one person really wants, then I agree with discussing it and maybe working out a way to save up for it.

No one likes to live under someone who is selfish and controlling. :) There are times in some people's lives that no matter how badly you want something, the money just isn't there and other bills are waiting to be paid. It doesn't make the other person a bad person for pointing it out. (I was reminded MANY times...remember, we don't want to live with credit card debt, right?? uggh! ) In MOST marriages (when the income and the outflow are normal) it usually works well for both people to agree on a fun money allowance for each person. When money isn't really an issue, I just try to be reasonable and not overindulge. I make myself earn it by working out. 6 workouts a week for 1 month= 1 new video. :) Anyway, my main point if that one person says no to purchases, it doesn't make them bad or selfish or controlling.

My husband and I have separate checking and savings accounts. We lived together for two years and split the bills based on what we both thought was fair and equitable.

It worked so well for us we just continued to do our finances this way after we got married. We both make approximately the same amount of money so it's pretty easy to determine an even split. When we go on vacation, we both throw in half of the total cost.

We have never had a disagreement about money that I can remember!

>My husband and I have separate checking and savings accounts.
> We lived together for two years and split the bills based on
>what we both thought was fair and equitable.
>
>It worked so well for us we just continued to do our finances
>this way after we got married. We both make approximately the
>same amount of money so it's pretty easy to determine an even
>split. When we go on vacation, we both throw in half of the
>total cost.
>
>We have never had a disagreement about money that I can
>remember!

I love that idea!!!

If you are thinking of buying the DVDs with you own money, then I'd say go ahead and do it. After all, it is your own hard-earned cash. Why should anyone tell you what you should and should not buy with your own money. But if you're insisting that he treat you for the DVDs, well ... I'd say he say every right to say 'no'.

My husband & I have been married for 28 years & we do the same thing. As our marriage has lasted this long, I would say the splitting up money method works very well for us. We have the usual joint accounts & our own individual accounts.
Karen

Don't worry about it, Wendy. If you two pool your money, and consult each other before major purchases (and 'major' is relative for everyone) and it works for you, and there are times you both have to 'hold back' from spending, then don't sweat it.

I've been married for 26 years, and we talk this stuff out too.
It doesn't make you 'subservient' or anything just to talk finances out with your spouse.

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.