Mom delivers 16th child!!!! YOWZA!!!

Imagine trying to fit a workout in with 16 kids! (Okay, you can tell where my mind is today!). Bless her - I have three and I adore all of them, but I could not imagine having more.

I suspect that the older ones lend a big hand in helping mom with the little ones.

I can't even imagine that. She's 39 and started at 21. She's been pregnant her whole adult life. I wonder if she remembers what her toes look like?:p

Toes!! LOL! Shelley!!!

I guess what I meant was, how does she let them all know they are special? You know? How does she devote time to each and every one of them? How does she make sure they all know they are loved? I guess that was my question.

I watched a documentary about them several months ago, it was filmed when she was pregnant with #14 or 15. If I remember correctly she homeschools them all as well. I would go insane! I'm sure she never has a single moment to herself.

Lori

And here I thought my sister was crazy for having 6 kids...I take it back...she's completely sane! ;)

God Bless that couple and thier family! That is completely amazing!

I am just amazed...and here I am complaining that I've been the designated driver for four holiday seasons in a row!! :)

I think that if two parents totally dedicate their lives to raising the family, it's not impossible for each child to feel valued and special in their own way. Especially if the older ones play an active role in helping with the younger ones.

Just my guess, though - I, personally, don't think I could handle 16 kids, and that's coming from someone who really likes having kids, too. Heck, I couldn't handle that many seasons of maternity clothes!!!

My sister-in-law comes from a family with 17 kids. The mom lost two at birth so she has actually produced 19 children. But since there were 2 sets of twins I guess she has only been pregnant 17 times (!!) I'm always fascinated with her family and asking all sorts of questions... like how do you all live in one house. She says, actually, we have 2 houses, one is across the street omg, I can't even imagine. But yes, the older ones provide a lot of care to the younger ones, and the older ones also grow up and move away from home, so there isn't everyone living under one roof (or 2 in this case) at once.

I was always just amazed and had to meet this woman, who's body had produced 19 children! Think of the biomass alone! I thought she would be the most tired looking person I ever met. I was even more amazed when I did meet her, a petite bubbly woman with TONS of energy! And lots of fashion, she always wears a big fashionable hat, reminds me of some long ago time when women wore hats a lot.

In today's disastrous environmental climate, this is downright unethical and immoral.

And, no, they will never be able to see that each child's needs are met. Some of them will fall through the gap of parental attention and there will be consequences that probably only show later in life.
I'm one of 6, and I know what I am talking about.

It is not fair to maker the elder children help with the little ones. Unpaid babysitting that robs the elder ones of their childhood and freedom.

Clare

Back in my young and single days (early 1980's), I spent 6 months in a small town in northern Israel doing volunteer work in an elementary school. Most of the families were immigrants from north Africa. The average number of kids per family was 14, and many had 18 or more. They all lived in fairly large apartment buildings. Obviously, there wasn't enough room in an apartment for all the children, so many kids would live with other families or older residents in the same building who had room. They would have meals with their families. The older kids would take care of the younger ones. By older, I mean teenagers, but sometimes even 8 year olds - these kids were incredibly responsible and capable. After school the kids would gather in their living rooms and do homework together. It was just amazing to me to see the discipline and cooperation among the kids. The parents usually were not around until dinner - both almost always worked full time to make ends meet, but daycare for preschoolers and babies is free there.

My grandmother had 18 children - no twins. She had 20 pregnancies - 2 miscarriages. And, of course, this was before washing machines, dishwashers, microwaves, etc.

My father always said that he was her favorite (he was #16). I often wondered if that was true or if my grandmother just was able to make each child feel that way.

They were very poor. My dad was malnutritioned and many of his siblings died at a young age. He was also orphaned young also - it wasn't an easy life.

Erica

Someone needs to sit this couple down and explain to them what's causin' it! Maybe an appearance on the Dr. Phil show?

Just Do It! :)

Ai yi yi! I guess I feel if she can and wants to, OK. I know I don't have the temprament. I had two and sometimes was overwhelmed.

Sarah, I think the reference to the environmental climate is refering to the idea of ZPG-zero population growth- which was a big issue when I was of child bearing age. It's something I believe makes sense in today's overpopulated world. The idea is no one should produce more progeny then would replace themselves. ie. a couple should have no more than 2 children. We may someday, if birth rates continue at current rates, no longer be able to produce enough food, clean water, etc etc for everyone. This doesn't even consider the political climate that is responsible for so much hardship and starvation world wide. Just my 2 cents...

She's obviously a bit off, if she wants another one! My mother also had sixteen although a set of preemie twins, the only time she "cheated" by having more than one at the same time, and an older brother died in infancy. My mother is the most patient and gentle soul I know even though she can be fiesty and she has a great sense of humor. I shake my head at those who can pull something like that off. A little admiration for being capable of doing that as well being able to hide the insanity that MUST be there. ;) It must. I am particularly appreciative when my three make me whacko, which is often.

Birth rates have been decreasing steadily in the developed world and in developing countries but the developed world has also seen a huge drop in death rates after World War. Families become smaller as health conditions improve and with more women able to get an education families become both healthier and smaller. Women have fewer children later in life because they are more likely to work these. Contraception is also more available but it is in developing countries where population growth will have the greatest impact on global population and, therefore, it is important that those countires be helped and guided by the developed world and given the education and resources to prevent population expanse. Making up less than 5 percent of the world's population, the US consumes an enormous amount of the world's resources and that has an effect on the ability of developing nations to survive and live outside of poverty. Where there are abundant natural resources, there is wealth and population growth, while it may increase as longevity increases due to advancement of technology, tends to level out and decline. Not so in the Third World where infant mortality rates are high and the life expectancy low compared to the wealthier nations. In the Third World haaving 16 children survive to adulthood is by sheer luck. We need a One World, I think where everyone has an equal opportunity for survival and without the First World truly making that happen, the population growth in developing countries is unlikely to decline in the future. That's just the way it works. That we are now able to produce enough food and clean water for the whole world to live well and yet poverty still attributes to death, disease and dreadful life conditions is an edictment against we who have so much including the power to change the world.
Bobbi http://www.handykult.de/plaudersmilies.de/chicken.gif "Chick's rule!"

Tell me, what it is you plan to do with your one wild and precious life? -Mary Oliver

Bobbi -

What was it like growing up in such a large family? Did you feel you were short-changed with getting the attention you wanted from your parents? Did you feel you were being raised by your siblings? What advise would you give someone who is contemplating having his/her own gang of 16?
Just Do It! :)

Using up resources, dumping more trash in landfills, each of these kids will grow up to own several cars......etc, etc.

Clare

Our Newsletter

Get awesome content delivered straight to your inbox.